shape
carat
color
clarity

1 carat MRB - should I send to GIA?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
45ADEB2E-E2EA-48AA-8855-49EF37E7D637.jpeg 970E1B17-4834-4802-937E-7912FBD079FB.jpeg A09FFCA0-09B0-4CEF-A650-0388D0E15D18.jpeg 776B0092-5DFB-414D-8DE8-140FC923B75E.jpeg 3D578024-A831-4454-82A9-6942DF4EEF56.jpeg E99CB83C-A406-4F71-9D29-7B2BB0C1D806.jpeg E2AE19B6-6A09-461E-BD9E-827F4B2D6615.jpeg 370C2F90-45BA-4F2E-B716-45EEC886FCD5.jpeg So my mom asked me to sell this diamond ring for her. I know it was bought at Costco in 1998. As I recall, at that time, Costco sold IGI-certified diamonds of VS2 and I or better. I assume there is a girdle inscription but haven’t brought it to a jeweler yet to see.

My first instinct is to send it to GIA and know for sure what I have, but I’m coming here first for advice and suggestions! Should I send it in even if I can look up the IGI report? The setting is so banged up and nontraditional I have to think selling unset is the way to go? Or maybe have it set in a popular style for marketability?

The comparison stone is my GIA H colored emerald cut. So seems like it’s H or better to my eye.

All thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• 98F74828-4F4D-4D9D-B28B-A1F952C46B46.jpeg
    98F74828-4F4D-4D9D-B28B-A1F952C46B46.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 932CCB3E-0AC7-4ACA-9DDE-5FFF8053A056.jpeg
    932CCB3E-0AC7-4ACA-9DDE-5FFF8053A056.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 20

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CCF94646-4F64-4B93-9770-4A3ED88C21C1.jpeg 1599E654-811C-486E-94FB-1A96E5C0011F.jpeg A4B456B5-1774-44E0-AB38-9544241A6AE0.jpeg

3 more photos...

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Idk if it would be worth the money to send. I mean it cost me a little less than 200 with shipping fees and the grading. It’s a GORGEOUS ring. Maybe try to sell as is? I know Costco sells really nice diamonds and I personally would trust it. But if it doesn’t sell then you could consider.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without the certification I'd totally lowball. I wouldn't accept igi's opinion or Costco's. Maybe send it to GIA, but ask that they report their findings before inscribing? I believe they will do this if you ask.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without the certification I'd totally lowball. I wouldn't accept igi's opinion or Costco's. Maybe send it to GIA, but ask that they report their findings before inscribing? I believe they will do this if you ask.
What do you mean by this? Is it cheaper to skip inscription?

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What do you mean by this? Is it cheaper to skip inscription?

Inscription is a separate cost but I think it’s worth it so it will always have its Gia number incase paperwork is lost!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, in order to have it graded, the stone needs to be unmounted, and remounted to sell it as a whole ring. This will cost you.
Second, GIA Diamond Dossier will cost you $85 plus shipping and time (btw GIA Diamond Dossier includes inscription service.
Third, there is always a chance that you get lower grades in color and clarity.

Why don't you sell it as is first without going thru the hassle of having the stone unmounted and graded by GIA? Try taking better photos of the diamond, emphasizing the arrows and see if there is any buyer. It looks like an ideal cut diamond with complimentary table, PA and CA. Moreover, if you set it in a popular modern style, which is another additional cost, what are you going to do with the existing setting?

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better be careful... a Costco 1 ct could weigh < 1ct., And most likely not a GIA I VS2 stone.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Better be careful... a Costco 1 ct could weigh < 1ct., And most likely not a GIA I VS2 stone.
Yes, of course. But I’m pretty sure it really is at least a GIA I, so I’m thinking a GIA I/SI1 is going to sell better on LT than this as a ring. Don’t you think? If I’m wrong I do want to know!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, in order to have it graded, the stone needs to be unmounted, and remounted to sell it as a whole ring. This will cost you.
Second, GIA Diamond Dossier will cost you $85 plus shipping and time (btw GIA Diamond Dossier includes inscription service.
Third, there is always a chance that you get lower grades in color and clarity.

Why don't you sell it as is first without going thru the hassle of having the stone unmounted and graded by GIA? Try taking better photos of the diamond, emphasizing the arrows and see if there is any buyer. It looks like an ideal cut diamond with complimentary table, PA and CA. Moreover, if you set it in a popular modern style, which is another additional cost, what are you going to do with the existing setting?
I know I would need to have the stone unmounted but I think the setting is more of a liability than a help in terms of selling this. It’s pretty dinged up as my photos reflect. I’m going to sell it for melt value.

While I am getting it unmounted, let’s see if the there is an IGI inscription anywhere. If I can find its crown/angle stats, for many buyers, that’s more important than not being 100% sure what GIA would call its color and clarity, I should think?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would vote for unmounting the stone, taking it to a reputable appraiser at a min or sending it to GIA and selling it after. As you noted, the setting is not exactly “in” right now so imo, it will only help the sale to have the stone be mounted. I would also list it on DB, eBay and maybe even IDNID. LT buyers are very picky.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think you could skip GIA. What about asking your jeweler the stats and you can include on the listing. If you can find the IGI data that would probably help too. I'm just thinking that with a private second hand sale, you are probably looking at least 30 percent, if not 50 percent off retail pricing on the end, so the extra money for GIA is not worth it.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you could skip GIA. What about asking your jeweler the stats and you can include on the listing. If you can find the IGI data that would probably help too. I'm just thinking that with a private second hand sale, you are probably looking at least 30 percent, if not 50 percent off retail pricing on the end, so the extra money for GIA is not worth it.
If I can’t sell it taking 30% off retail or less (which I do know is the secondary market rule of thumb), I will buy it from my mom for a sweetheart deal price. I just won’t sell it for $2500 or something along those lines. (Unless it turns out to be smaller or more heavily included than I thought.)

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I changed my mind. Send it to GIA. I personally love the setting and would be interested in it if a stone can be remounted :lol:. Also apologies about saying inscription is a separate cost. It was for me because I chose a diamond grading report, not the dossier.

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will be hard to get $2500 without a GIA report AND the report showing decent specs. Just my experience selling diamonds on the secondary market.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting too. Why not see if your jeweler can polish it up and try selling it intact? If it doesn't sell that way, you can always remove the stone and sell it separately. If you aren't in a rush, I would try selling intact after a "tune-up" of the setting first.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its going to be hard to get decent money for it without a GIA report. My concern is if the stone comes back as only VG cut (hope not).

I also think the setting is kind of cool. I would ask your jeweler if the setting is going to be reusable after he removes the stone. If you have
it polished (should be cheap) you might be able to sell it.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the advice! What would I do without PS!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, of course. But I’m pretty sure it really is at least a GIA I, so I’m thinking a GIA I/SI1 is going to sell better on LT than this as a ring. Don’t you think? If I’m wrong I do want to know!
It all depends on what 4 Cs GIA will give the stone. The last time I check my local Costco a 1ct I VS2 (IGI) on a 6 prong PT setting is $5800.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It all depends on what 4 Cs GIA will give the stone. The last time I check my local Costco a 1ct I VS2 (IGI) on a 6 prong PT setting is $5800.
Yup that’s still about their price point.

I guess the bottom line question is, does a proper GIA cert improve the sales price by more than the cost of getting it, understanding that it will likely come back with a lower clarity grade? (I am not afraid of a sub-I color grade. I can see it. It’s not a J.)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I am getting it unmounted, let’s see if the there is an IGI inscription anywhere. If I can find its crown/angle stats, for many buyers, that’s more important than not being 100% sure what GIA would call its color and clarity, I should think?
AFAIK, I don't think there are any inscriptions on IGI stones sold at Costco.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AFAIK, I don't think there are any inscriptions on IGI stones sold at Costco.
Interesting. There is also a serial number engraved inside the band of the setting. I wonder if that isn’t the serial number for the grading...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. There is also a serial number engraved inside the band of the setting. I wonder if that isn’t the serial number for the grading...
Idunno1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you don't like GIA's grading, don't inscribe it. Then you have the option of selling certified or incertified

GIA ‘dossier’ service, which the cheapest they offer, includes and requires an inscription. The Diamond Quality Report, which is the familiar one with the plotting diagram, has it as an option but you need to make the decision when you submit the job. You can’t add or remove inscription service after you know the grade unless you’re prepared to pay for an upgrade service in addition to the inscription fee. That’s quite a bit more money.

If you’re planning on retailing it yourself, send it in. A 21 year old IGI without the original report is not a good substitute. Be prepared for a cut grade that doesn’t meet your modern standards. Yes, sell it loose. If you’re going to sell it to a dealer, use the IGI if you can find it and let them deal with GIA.

I would be surprised if it already has an inscription. They were unusual in 1998.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results