shape
carat
color
clarity

1.72cttw 5-stone OEC/tranny in 18k rose gold shared-prong <3

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Omigosh, you guys, it is here and it is done and I got the call this afternoon and immediately drove all the way across the city to pick it up and I have COMPLETELY destroyed my afternoon staring at it and loving it. :mrgreen: I've been thinking about this ring every day for the 6 weeks it took my jeweler to make it (uh - is that normal? didn't know any better when he announced "6 weeks!" but it has NOT been an easy wait!). It took me months to put these stones together from eBay and then I had a major freak-out once I dropped the stones off, documented in RockyTalky, but thanks to everyone who was kind and reassuring and nipped that in the bud. Seriously, thanks, guys. :oops:

So, stats are 1.72cttw, D/E-K/L definitely-all-uncerted SI1-I1 (or maybe I2) trannies, diameters ranging from about 4.3-4.5mm, set in 18k rose gold with low-to-the-finger shared prongs. The ring size is between a 6.5 and 6.75 so I can wear it as a RHR or wedding ring (my R is 6.5-6.75 depending on weather and L is a 6-6 1/8, so chuck a couple of stacking bands around it on the L and it's perfect). Sorry for the phone pics, but the focal distance is so much better for jewelry than my point&shoot...

imag1697.jpg
imag1700.jpg

My freak-out was related to the variability in clarity and color, but by putting the most tinted stone on one end and the most included stone on the other, I gotta say, I don't notice it AT ALL.

This side's the more tinted:
imag1685.jpg

And this side's the more included:
imag1684.jpg

I'm thrilled to report that the lower colors don't bother me AT ALL in any of the lighting environments I've seen (jewelry store, car, outside, direct sun, incandescent, overcast, north-facing windows... seriously, my afternoon productivity plans have completely imploded) and actually I love the creamy look with the 18k rose gold. It looks absolutely smashing with the ivory stones. That's currently my favorite side of the ring. :razz: And that gross chunky carbon spot? Completely disappears just like a "contrast" facet. Take that, I2! (I am clearly the "cheap date" of diamond shopping.)

Fire. It's sparkly.
imag1688.jpg

So... thanks again. For inspiring and motivating me to get this project done (uh, actually, this is the first project I've completed, besides my e-ring which obviously had a deadline attached to it, since joining PS but about the 15th I've "had in mind"...), and for calming me down when I needed it, and for - hopefully - sharing in my excitement now that it's on my finger, just like I've gotten to share in yours! You guys are the best. :bigsmile:

marym

Shiny_Rock
Re: 1.72cttw 5-stone OEC/tranny in 18k rose gold shared-pron

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the rose gold too!! :tongue:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks stunning - you did a phenomenal job choosing these stones and ring! It is just gorgeous!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing! It turned out beautiful! The low setting is perfect!
I'm very impressed with how well it turned out!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks great!!! Well worth the stone search you went through!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is gorgeous!!! :love: :appl: :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You did an amazing job putting this ring together, your hard work has paid off - it's soooo gorgeous, the stones look fabulous and I love the setting!!! :love: I have a feeling you're not going to get much done in the next few days except stare at this beauty! :bigsmile:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

junebug, LLJsmom, arkie, tyty, missgotrocks, mary -- thank you all so so much. I'm really cruel to my hands and yet think it's a shame not to wear jewelry that makes me happy, so the low setting was crucial. Even though these trannies don't give off the fire of OECs, I think the tradeoff of low-crowned stones, low-set, with my lifestyle is probably worthwhile.

tyty, LLJSmom, MGR, I definitely admired your shared-prong 5-stones while I was getting inspiration for this ring & so excited to be finally "joining the club"!

arkie, I have pictures of Lola AND Charlie saved to my :love: folder -- if it's ever raining diamonds, I'm standing outside with a pasta strainer in hopes of catching one like them!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wow!! It's so gorgeous and the 18 carat rose gold is dreamy heaven. It's so perfect with your stones and looks great on your hand too.

You did a great job with the stones and they look smashing all set together! :love:

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Awesome job! It's a total stunner :love:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Great job creating this ring! Looks beautiful on you!!! :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous, I love how every stone is a different colour but fit together so well.

makeable

Shiny_Rock

Stunning! I love the color of the gold and the huge flashes :appl:

picante27

Shiny_Rock

It's beautiful! You did a fantastic job, congrats!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Wow! Well done! :clap: It turned out beautifully! I'm so glad you are happy with the finished ring! It's beautiful! :appl:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's PERFECT!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW that's a great ring! Congrats on putting it all together piece by piece and having it turn out so well.

What mm size are the diamonds you used? They look perfect on your hand. :appl: :appl: :appl:

ETA: Nevermind the mm sizes, I checked out your other thread "the diameters are all from 4.2-4.4mm (even counting the wonkiness)"

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

So, this is amazingly beautiful, and I've already pinned it to my Pinterest jewelry board as a favorite. I think you did an awesome job assembling this, and it's just gorgeous!! :love: :appl: And, it's totally something I would do. My 5-stone band is an eBay find, and I love stalking LoupeTroop and Diamond Bistro for goodies--most of my jewelry is pre-loved. I also think transitionals and OECs are very deceptive when it comes to color. Yes, you will be able to see body color in unset stones, but setting them is different, and I think choosing rose gold also helped mitigate the color difference. My OEC 5-stone band is lower colors but in most lighting and especially photos they just look white and sparkly and nobody ever "notices" the color, just comments on how pretty it is--same goes for your ring!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
!

Wow it is GORGEOUS. :love: Looks amazing on your hand. What a special piece. Wear and enjoy in health and happiness. :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

beautiful.. I LOVE the gold..

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

It looks amazing! Well done!! Isn't it the best feeling to have had such a big role in the success of the project? :) congrats!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I absolutely love this :love:

Can you post a perspective shot? :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

So the stones range in color from D to L?
Pretty ring and it looks lovely on you:)

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! Love the rose gold!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a splendid ring! Love the rose gold and those fiery stones :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful timeless ring! :love:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Seriously, you guys made my day -- I was at the county trauma hospital for a 12-hour shift today and didn't wear my ring (it isn't ready for THAT lifestyle yet...) and missed it all day, and I come home to such nice things people have been saying!! :praise:

JDDN, makeable, tekate, kathley, azstonie -- I'm really glad I went with 18k rose gold, the little bit of extra warmth (compared with my 14k RG rings) is so luxurious-looking and I think it complements the stones! (and, uh, smoothes out the color differences too...)

ringcat, lovesvintage, picante, rockinruby, AHL, missy, DS2006 -- thank you so much!

lovinggems, rubybeth, momhappy -- I feel really lucky not to be color sensitive/avoidant, even with a D-L range. I can definitely tell which side is tinted, but actually the fastest/easiest way to "orient" the ring is to find the dark carbon spot. I think some of my "color detection" is post-hoc justification. :) I don't know if someone who IS color-sensitive would be bothered by the variability, but hey, like rubybeth says, all I see is sparkle and diamondiness!

stonehunter, yup, they're 4.2-4.4mm, and the jeweler did a spectacular job with the wonky diamonds. I don't know if the photos show it well, but the not-really-bezel base for each stone fits PERFECTLY under its outline -- the smallest diamond has the smallest base, and the bases vary SO precisely with the mm differences for each that all you see from the top is diamond and from the underside all you see is rose gold.

rubybeth, fightgravity, stonehunter -- how these stones ended up being so well-matched from eBay blurry vendor photos is totally beyond me. Flattish crowns, tranny tables, faceting character, teeny culets, it's kind of uncanny. LIke, are there just LOTS of little trannies out there on eBay waiting for PS love? The DIY aspect makes it that much more special (plus, um, I could afford to own it now instead of having to save for another year or so :dance: )

rubybeth, I don't think I've ever been on a Pinterest board - i am so honored!! :D And your OEC 5-stone is STUNNING - what do you mean, lower colors? all the photos I see look WHITE-white!

alex t, I LOVE excuses to take pictures of this ring -- here you go! :)

imag1708.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful ring! I love RG!... :love:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Fantastic!!! I love the creamy stones with the rose gold! Congrats and enjoy it!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results