shape
carat
color
clarity

1.72ct AGS K VS1 OEC in plat. solitaire w/French cut sides

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My beautiful OEC solitaire from Love Affair Diamonds is here! After a long and circuitous journey, it is finally at home on my hand!

lad.jpg
Background story (feel free to skip to the photos :naughty: ):

I never liked diamonds too much before discovering PS, as all I had seen were MRBs. Once I found OECs, I fell hard for the chunky facets and flowery patterns. I started off with a 0.7 ct AVR back in May last year, which I set in rose gold and still adore, but I wanted something bigger :naughty: and in a platinum setting to match my platinum wedding band.

My search for the perfect OEC for me began last summer, and I trawled various vendor sites obsessively, even made a detailed spreadsheet to track the stones I was stalking, and asked a bunch of learner questions on RT -- thanks so much to everyone who provided advice, opinions and counseling along the way. :wavey: :wavey: Special thanks to Gypsy, Missy, Lorelei, arkieb, and Pyramid for their continued advice and support during my quest. :love:

Previous threads documenting my OEC quest:
July -- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-would-you-get-on-a-15-20k-budget.203870/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-would-you-get-on-a-15-20k-budget.203870/[/URL]
August -- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quick-question-about-evaluating-oecs-without-aset-etc.204717/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/quick-question-about-evaluating-oecs-without-aset-etc.204717/[/URL]
September -- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-i-did-during-my-lunch-hour.205774/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-i-did-during-my-lunch-hour.205774/[/URL]
November -- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-oec-would-you-choose.207699/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-oec-would-you-choose.207699/[/URL]
December -- [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-on-cads.208496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-on-cads.208496/[/URL]

I've become a firm believer in the philosophy that the perfect diamond may be an impossible search -- what is more important is finding the one that's perfect for you.

Back in August, I spotted a gorgeous OEC on Jewel By Grace's website that was described as 1.72 AGS K VS2 (see my Aug thread).
I was a bit leery at first because all my other diamonds are G or above, so I wasn't sure of an AGS K, but I fell in love with the faceting. This was a big purchase for me and I agonized over it for a while as I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger. However, I kept it on my list and kept coming back to it. Eventually, sometime later (Sept/Oct?), the listing was taken off Grace's site so I sighed a little sigh and concluded that it must have sold, and therefore it wasn't meant to be mine... I continued my search for an OEC, mostly checking the sites of GOG, JBG and LAD on a daily basis.

9_21.jpg

Then, in late October, I found a 1.72 AGS K VS1 OEC with almost-but-not-quite identical measurements listed on Love Affair Diamonds's website. I had to take another look, because the faceting of the JBG stone and LAD stone was so similar, that I was ready to swear that it was the same stone. I couldn't be sure, though, because Grace's original listing was no longer up (VS2 vs VS1 and some of the two listed specs were off by a few tenths of a mm)

Eventually I found a way to view the Google cached copy of Grace's old listing, pulled the AGS report number off of it, and was able to verify that the LAD and JBG stone were one and the same.

I was overjoyed to find that the stone which I thought I had missed out on, was available again! It felt like a second chance. :)
I don't believe much in karma or destiny, but this coincidence struck me as a sign that this 1.72 ct OEC was meant to be mine. :bigsmile:

I immediately told Erica that I would take it, and since it was much under my original budget for an OEC, I asked her to put it in a modified Elisabeth setting in platinum, with 10 small high-dome French cuts, milgrain and engraving. Since I live in Asia, I took a risk and asked to have it set without seeing the loose stone in person first. I was confident that if both Grace AND Erica liked this OEC so much that both of them had it listed on their sites, it must be a winner. :D

The OEC faces up very white -- I do see the tint from the profile in certain lighting, but it does not bother me. I do see the color difference with my AVR G, though, but I love the uniqueness of this vintage OEC, the warmer color is part of its specialness. The faceting of the OEC reminds me of my AVR's flowery petal patterns. :D

The ring turned out beautifully -- LAD and the CvB team did a fantastic job. The double claw prongs are so delicate, and I am in loooooovee with the gorgeous teeny French cuts. The engraving and milgrain are also amazing, and I'm very happy with the setting overall. It is the perfect home for my OEC.

Thank you again Pricescope for all that I have learned during this journey. :appl: :appl:

Vendor photos:
image5_copy.jpg image6.jpg image3_1.jpg

My photos:
The weather here has been terrible lately, all overcast and rainy monsoon weather, so the OEC looks much yellower than it is in real life. It faces up super white IRL but the camera isn't taking very accurate photos, sadly. I'll try again later when the weather improves!

handring1.jpg handring2.jpg ring1_66.jpg ring2_69.jpg ring3_41.jpg ring4_27.jpg ringprofile_0.jpg

24caratsequin

Rough_Rock
Re: 1.72ct AGS K VS1 OEC in plat. solitaire w/French cut sid

My goodness, it's a stunner! Congratulations!

eirwen

Rough_Rock

its gorgeous! looks lovely on your hand .. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the compliments, eirwen and 24caratsequin! It is much nicer in real life but is difficult to photograph well using my smartphone.

For reference, here is a photo of the 1.72ct OEC (AGS K VS1) with the 0.7 ct AVR (AGS G SI2). The color difference is noticeable when you put the two stones side by side, but when I wear the OEC alone it seems to face up very white to me. :)

oecavrcomp.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's gorgeous Mochiko!! What a stone and setting :love:
You have a great eye for colored stones as well as antique diamonds. What a beauty.
The ring looks great on your hand and I love the combination with the band.

Please post a lot more pics :wavey:

eirwen

Rough_Rock

I love old cuts with warmer colours, the pastel flashes are amazing. Maybe someday I'll get a OEC too .. :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Stunning diamond and stunning ring! The setting is so elegant and I love the beautiful detail on the band :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks sooooo much Acinom! That means a lot to me as you have one of the most beautiful collections of rings I've ever seen! I completely forgot to add a credit to your amazing OEC ring by Victor, which first gave me the crazy-obsessed French-cuts fever! It was one of the main inspirations for this ring. I liberally borrowed the ideas for engraving the basket, milgrain, double claw prongs and French cuts! [emoji7]

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

What a perfect stone and perfect setting! I love the details. A beautiful job by LAD and Cvb. Enjoy it, it is just lovely!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the kind words, ricezo and artdecolover. :) I love its pastel-colored flashes -- guess at heart I am a colored gems girl, but rainbow OECs are also very, very nice. :cheeky: :cheeky:

Acinom, it's interesting to compare the engraved bands. Here is a side-by-side shot. The band on the left is an engraved platinum band by Victor Canera, there is a cheap silver twist ring/spacer in the middle, then the engraved band / shank part of my OEC. I think that the craftsmanship of VC for the engraving and milgrain is noticeably more refined and detailed, but it would be unfair to make a direct comparison since the price range is different. :) I love both for their unique looks.

bandscvbvc.jpg

Here is another vendor photo from LAD of the engraving for the OEC ring:

image5_0.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks beautiful! You have a lovely collection!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Everything about that ring is gorgeous! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ow, I am sooo honored that my ring was an inspiration for yours!! What a huge compliment.
Did you decide later to have the bottom of the shank engraved, since there is no engraving in the vendor pic?
I love the engraving and milgrain. It complements the bold flashes of the OEC so well.

And your band is from VC! I would to have one some day in the future :love: :love:
The engraving is different but still matches perfectly without being too matchy matchy.

You have a stunning set!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Mochiko- yaayy you! This is completely beautiful.

At the time you posted you had me going back and forth trying to figure out if it was the same diamond or not, as well! A beauty of an OEC, really!

Love your choice of setting, as well- you have a great sense of how to set stones to their utmost beauty and what suits them- I love your choices. LAD/CVB outdid themselves- this is a scrumptious ring, in every way. Wear it in good health!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GORGEOUS!!! :love: Mochiko, wear your gorgeous OEC in health and happiness and please post a hundred (at least) more pics. :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks m2b and lknvrb4! :)

Acinom, one of the vendor photos showed the ring before the engraving was added. I had decided from the start to have some engraving, but Erica was kind enough to send me a progress photo of the ring after it was completed but before engraving...just in case I preferred it plain. I did like the sleek lines without engraving, but decided to go ahead with adding the engraving and milgrain detail along the shank. I'm so glad I did!

The VC band was actually quite reasonably priced and I'm continually amazed at the detailed and fineness of the milgrain and engraving. I would love to have a diamond or CS ring from VC at some point too, but I need to save up first! You're lucky to have several heirloom Victor works of arts. :)

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful ring! I love the combination of the French cuts and the engraving, and that sparkler..... :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations mochiko!! The stone and the setting are sooooo lovely. It was meant to be yours. Wear in good health!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely stone and very pretty engraving on the shank.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

:clap: :clap: :clap: Just a masterpiece!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

love it! it's stunning..

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. That is amazing!

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock

I love it!

SeeingSunshine

Rough_Rock

Just lovely! All your pieces turn out beautifully, you have amazing taste!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! Enjoy it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What a spectacular ring! Everything about it is perfection!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy, thanks so much for your feedback in RT. :) Yes ma'am! I will take more photos ASAP!! lol.. :D once the weather gets better!!

apacherose, I love your rose gold AVC set, so your compliment means a lot. :) Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to figure out the doppelganger OEC puzzle a few months ago! :wavey:

:wavey:
Thank you so very much for the kind words, kmarla, LLJsmom, baby monster, purplesilk, thecat, Tekate, telephone89, luvsdmb, SeeingSunshine, caf and athenaworth. Big thanks to all PSers who have been a fount of knowledge and are the backbone of this supportive and warm community - even if you didn't post on my OEC search, the posts and comments on the PS forums have been sooooo helpful to me over the past year. Without PSers I would not have found my way to old cuts and to LAD. I would still be ignorant and perhaps only buying at maul stores... now I've found something that I truly love and makes my heart skip a beat!

The weather is still foggy and dark today, but here are a couple more vendor photos from LAD that I hadn't shared yet. One was taken before the engraving was applied, but you can see how perfect the double claw prongs are. Just delicious! I am so in love with this ring, and am so thankful to Erica and her team for their fantastic work.:)
image1a.jpg image1_6.jpg

Here are some photos of the loose stone. I forgot to add the specs in my first post, in my excitement! :lol:
http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Loose-Vintage-and-Antique-Diam/172ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/

AGS K, VS1. Measures 7.61 x 7.45 x 4.80.
63.9% depth, 47.9% table.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your new ring is beautiful - it's so much fun when people are so over the moon with their rings!

Congrats and enjoy - sounds like destiny to me!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Gorgeous! Looks perfect on you! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results