shape
carat
color
clarity

1.6 vs 1.8 - Struggling to make a decision - Please Help : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
After all the dissecting and going back and forth we suddenly get a new entry into the race haha

Ended up coming across this one and feel right about it due to the color and clarity, especially given the inclusions. I've always felt there was too much tint in the I color, but sold myself on it. Ultimately feel like H is much safer to go with and since the size difference really is small, it makes sense to go with this beauty. Feedback welcome haha

@sledge, here's a spreadsheet for your approval haha

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 2.44.56 PM.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry bud, rough and long day at work.

Did you make a decision? I'm turning in for the night but will try to take a look in the AM if it's not too late.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just a gut feeling... 1.8 all the way!!! I do see the difference and I am a girl, just saying. I have been silently praying that you would go for that amazing bigger stone :love:.
And no not a smaller H, no one will see that difference. I think this is analysis paralysis and most defo do not go with like a fifth choice at an impulse. This is an emotional decision and a big one but pulling an impulse twist last minute, no! I am like you in this and I want to caution you from doing this.
BTW, have I said go big or go home? :mrgreen:

You know one thing that I keep wondering about while reading your thread is will you regret if you get her the smaller stone? Like would it feel like you were trying to save on her?

I think now that I spent your money I will just go into hiding and pretend that I have said nothing:cool2:

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By chance have you looked at any stones in person? I'm asking because I am curious your sensitivity to color, but more importantly what your girls sensitivity to color may be.

Most people struggle to see a difference of 1 color grade between stones.

Have you talked with Wink yet? He might be able to ease anxiety by comparing the 1.61 H to the 1.80 I for you. Not only on cut but color & clarity differences as well. Again, he has experienced eyes and he will shoot you straight, even if it means you buy a smaller or cheaper stone. He's really a good dude that cares about people and the LONG TERM relationship.

The technical/performance differences are again very minimal. This stone is the smallest of the group (by a hair) but costs $1,400ish premium (roughly 11%) over the 1.628 I because of the color bump.

The 1.80 I is only $1,400 more than this stone and offers roughly a 7% size increase. So the question becomes 11% premium for a color bump, or 21% for a 7% size bump?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be throwing a spanner in the works, but have you considered this one? Very close to your ideal size, same color/clarity as the CBI and $14,600 wire price...

This is a really interesting stone to me. Did anyone notice the 53.3 table w/ the 15.8 crown height? One of the smallest tables I've stumbled upon.

Also, love the carat weight -- 1.777.

What I don't like seeing is "inquire" under eye clean. This typically means the stone won't be eye clean. Further analysis of the cert nearly set me into panic attack mode, lol. Not really, but it is a messy one and not for those like myself that like a mind clean stone.

If considered, you definitely want to have this stone pulled and checked to ensure it's 100% eye clean to your standards.

CaptureWF.PNG

CaptureWFcert.PNG

I've intentionally stayed away from WF as I felt @kmajid had made up his mind about his vendor of choice and there is no need to introduce doubt, as HPD is a top tier vendor.

That said, WF is also a top tier vendor. Do a little research on this forum and I think most would agree these are the top 2 super ideal vendors recommended and bought from and probably WF has a larger customer base and probably a little more depth in inventory. Upgrade programs are very similar, but HPD does offer the lifetime 80% buyback policy which no one matches to my knowledge.

That said, if I were going to recommend a WF stone, I like this one:

WF ACA 1.752 G SI1 @ $16,078 wire

About 0.10mm smaller than the 1.80 stone, but two color bumps better. Clarity plot looks good and is eye clean. And look at the video....she's a firecracker! So for roughly the same dollars as the 1.80 stone you get almost the same size & a color bump.

A few other potential alternates from WF:

This is an "expert select" meaning it's an near miss ACA (A Cut Above). Looking at the ASET, we can see it has a little girdle manipulation that occurred. Nothing major but if the CBI and ACA are 10's then this is a 9 so to speak. The advantage is a 1.80 H stone for $14k.

CaptureWFps.PNG

Top end of your budget but gets you a hair over 1.8 and H color. This is also an ACA so would be comparable to CBI quality.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Sorry bud, rough and long day at work.

Did you make a decision? I'm turning in for the night but will try to take a look in the AM if it's not too late.

The fact that you felt the need and were able to post an apology, which was totally unnecessary but appreciated, says a lot. Thanks so much for your kindness and consideration.

I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back to the board. Crazy couple of days.

I had actually decided on the 1.61 (the whole diamond was an 8!!!!), then immediately didn't feel great. I wasn't sure if it was nerves or the fact that i didn't make the "right" choice; whatever "right" means in this situation. I decided to sleep on it, then woke up feeling the same way. I reached out to Melissa and Wink asking for a miracle since the 1.6 was either about to be set or was already set (yes, we're working with a super tight timeline haha).

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Just a gut feeling... 1.8 all the way!!! I do see the difference and I am a girl, just saying. I have been silently praying that you would go for that amazing bigger stone :love:.
And no not a smaller H, no one will see that difference. I think this is analysis paralysis and most defo do not go with like a fifth choice at an impulse. This is an emotional decision and a big one but pulling an impulse twist last minute, no! I am like you in this and I want to caution you from doing this.
BTW, have I said go big or go home? :mrgreen:

You know one thing that I keep wondering about while reading your thread is will you regret if you get her the smaller stone? Like would it feel like you were trying to save on her?

I think now that I spent your money I will just go into hiding and pretend that I have said nothing:cool2:

I did order and pay for the 1.6, had it set, then woke up feeling like crap about it the next day. I decided that i needed to make a switch somehow AND i saw your message, which didn't make me feel any better haha So thanks for that extra push : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I might be throwing a spanner in the works, but have you considered this one? Very close to your ideal size, same color/clarity as the CBI and $14,600 wire price...

I actually did consider this one, but the fact that it wasn't eye clean took it out of contention. I also got to a point where i committed to getting a CBI from HPD for various reasons.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
By chance have you looked at any stones in person? I'm asking because I am curious your sensitivity to color, but more importantly what your girls sensitivity to color may be.

Most people struggle to see a difference of 1 color grade between stones.

Have you talked with Wink yet? He might be able to ease anxiety by comparing the 1.61 H to the 1.80 I for you. Not only on cut but color & clarity differences as well. Again, he has experienced eyes and he will shoot you straight, even if it means you buy a smaller or cheaper stone. He's really a good dude that cares about people and the LONG TERM relationship.

The technical/performance differences are again very minimal. This stone is the smallest of the group (by a hair) but costs $1,400ish premium (roughly 11%) over the 1.628 I because of the color bump.

The 1.80 I is only $1,400 more than this stone and offers roughly a 7% size increase. So the question becomes 11% premium for a color bump, or 21% for a 7% size bump?

I Have seen stones in person, including CBI stones. I had wanted to stick with at least an H, but i, most recently, went to Tiffany to compare colors and felt like i was fine with the I and believe that my girl wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

You really hit the point home when you mentioned how one color grade normally doesn't make a huge difference.

I did talk to Wink extensively and he was extremely helpful throughout the process, including breaking down the last 3 as much as he could. I ultimately decided to go with the 1.6, initially, because i was worried about the color and i felt good about the value i was getting. It was also practically a VS2 based on the inclusions. To add to all this, I was trying to get the ring before Christmas, which is something i didn't mention at any point in my posts haha

After feeling like crap with my decision, I asked if we could make the switch. Wink and my sparkly fairy godmother Melissa said that they'll make some magic happen, which they did!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
This is a really interesting stone to me. Did anyone notice the 53.3 table w/ the 15.8 crown height? One of the smallest tables I've stumbled upon.

Also, love the carat weight -- 1.777.

What I don't like seeing is "inquire" under eye clean. This typically means the stone won't be eye clean. Further analysis of the cert nearly set me into panic attack mode, lol. Not really, but it is a messy one and not for those like myself that like a mind clean stone.

If considered, you definitely want to have this stone pulled and checked to ensure it's 100% eye clean to your standards.

CaptureWF.PNG

CaptureWFcert.PNG

I've intentionally stayed away from WF as I felt @kmajid had made up his mind about his vendor of choice and there is no need to introduce doubt, as HPD is a top tier vendor.

That said, WF is also a top tier vendor. Do a little research on this forum and I think most would agree these are the top 2 super ideal vendors recommended and bought from and probably WF has a larger customer base and probably a little more depth in inventory. Upgrade programs are very similar, but HPD does offer the lifetime 80% buyback policy which no one matches to my knowledge.

That said, if I were going to recommend a WF stone, I like this one:

WF ACA 1.752 G SI1 @ $16,078 wire

About 0.10mm smaller than the 1.80 stone, but two color bumps better. Clarity plot looks good and is eye clean. And look at the video....she's a firecracker! So for roughly the same dollars as the 1.80 stone you get almost the same size & a color bump.

A few other potential alternates from WF:

This is an "expert select" meaning it's an near miss ACA (A Cut Above). Looking at the ASET, we can see it has a little girdle manipulation that occurred. Nothing major but if the CBI and ACA are 10's then this is a 9 so to speak. The advantage is a 1.80 H stone for $14k.

CaptureWFps.PNG

Top end of your budget but gets you a hair over 1.8 and H color. This is also an ACA so would be comparable to CBI quality.

I feel terrible that you ended up breaking all the above down. Hopefully someone will be able to take advantage of all that info. I certainly learned a few more things, so I appreciate it.

Your instincts were correct that i had decided to go with a CBI from HPD. I looked at hundreds of blue nile diamonds and picked out a good number that had great proportions, i looked at so many gorgeous WF stones as well and talked to them a couple of times about a couple of options. Aside from some specific reasons, including Wink, John, and Melissa, my gut kept telling me that a CBI stone was the way to go. As i've mentioned several times, i consider myself a value buyer and knew that CBI stones do come with a little premium, but i just kept gravitating towards them. One thing that really helped and put me over the edge since i didn't have time to go the custom route is that they were also offering a free solitaire setting.

I had eliminated the 1.777, because of the questionable clarity and since i was paying top dollar for a stone I had decided that i wanted to stick with either ACA or CBI. I strongly considered the 1.752 G, but again kept going back to HPD for some reason. Plus that free solitaire tipped the scales even more.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I can't thank everyone enough for their contribution, especially @sledge, who always goes above and beyond on seemingly every post that he responds to.

I ended up going with the 1.8 I VS2. Wink said that it had a little less body color. I was sold on the size and the fact that it was freshly cut and arrived on the week that i needed it to in order finalize a purchase pushed me over the edge. When I started my journey with HPD, I was really intrigued by the idea of having a stone custom cut. I was going to ask for a 1.8 and, while i know it might sound silly, it felt like this was the custom stone that i had ordered to get cut; ultimately this was the one that was meant for my amazing partner!

I may feel like i paid more than i should have, and I certainly stretched my budget, but I think this might actually end up being a forever stone...as long as she's ok with the color haha and, as everyone knows, CBI diamonds just not how to put on a show!

I'll certainly share some pics as soon as i'm able to.

Thank you again! Hope everyone's having an amazing weekend!

Sending out much love, joy, and good health during this Holiday Season and beyond : )

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I can't thank everyone enough for their contribution, especially @sledge, who always goes above and beyond on seemingly every post that he responds to.

I ended up going with the 1.8 I VS2. Wink said that it had a little less body color. I was sold on the size and the fact that it was freshly cut and arrived on the week that i needed it to in order finalize a purchase pushed me over the edge. When I started my journey with HPD, I was really intrigued by the idea of having a stone custom cut. I was going to ask for a 1.8 and, while i know it might sound silly, it felt like this was the custom stone that i had ordered to get cut; ultimately this was the one that was meant for my amazing partner!

I may feel like i paid more than i should have, and I certainly stretched my budget, but I think this might actually end up being a forever stone...as long as she's ok with the color haha and, as everyone knows, CBI diamonds just not how to put on a show!

I'll certainly share some pics as soon as i'm able to.

Thank you again! Hope everyone's having an amazing weekend!

Sending out much love, joy, and good health during this Holiday Season and beyond : )

Great choice. Wishing you all the best!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you went with the big one LOL - and I think her mind is going to be blown when she sees it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent choice, welcome to the CBI family. As Paul told me, your diamond will surprise you when you least expect it.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I for one think you made the right decision. In fact I know it because you did not settle. A high I is awesome in my opinion. Ok it may have to do with the fact that it is my sweet spot but it is because it offers great value. In colorless diamonds I like a white stone but not icy. I think it actually compliments most women’s skin tone better and when set it will look incredibly white. I would have struggled too with this kind of a decision and I often try to setttle then by jumping on an impulse choice because it is easier to do at the moment. But then I feel really wrong about going with that and I appreciate it when I have to make a sacrifice but end up with my dream choice. I am not sure if this makes sense but it felt to me like you may have similar thought processes to mine. Congrats!!! Keep us posted.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock
I’m so excited for you! No doubt your fiancé will be blown away! Don’t forget to come and show us the final product

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Glad you went with the big one LOL - and I think her mind is going to be blown when she sees it!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Excellent choice, welcome to the CBI family. As Paul told me, your diamond will surprise you when you least expect it.

: ) Thanks so much! Looking forward to all the surprises. Can't wait to see it!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I for one think you made the right decision. In fact I know it because you did not settle. A high I is awesome in my opinion. Ok it may have to do with the fact that it is my sweet spot but it is because it offers great value. In colorless diamonds I like a white stone but not icy. I think it actually compliments most women’s skin tone better and when set it will look incredibly white. I would have struggled too with this kind of a decision and I often try to setttle then by jumping on an impulse choice because it is easier to do at the moment. But then I feel really wrong about going with that and I appreciate it when I have to make a sacrifice but end up with my dream choice. I am not sure if this makes sense but it felt to me like you may have similar thought processes to mine. Congrats!!! Keep us posted.

Definitely made sense as we function similarly. I was lucky enough to be able to go with the option that felt right after settling. Hopefully the whole ordeal was well worth it. Thanks for adding you $.02 along the way : ) I'll definitely keep you all posted.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I’m so excited for you! No doubt your fiancé will be blown away! Don’t forget to come and show us the final product

I sure hope so! I'll definitely come back to show you the final product and to also share her her reaction : )

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge my husband also has a traeger - bought on impulse earlier this year after seeing one of my friends with one. He previously used a big green egg with a wifi fan attachment, which could change the temperature and turn it off, but he still had to occasionally add more fuel and the traeger eliminates that, meaning he no longer has to wake up at night

@kmajid I'm glad you went for the 1.8. The size difference is absolutely noticeable and diamonds have a way of looking small pretty rapidly to me, lol. And I think many of us can relate to feeling a little shell-shocked post-purchase, even when it was a planned purchase. It's a lot of money to spend. I have never felt like it was too much though once I have the actual item in my hand - thanks to being able to do a lot of research and get help on PS I know I was able to get a good value and not get ripped off, and end up with a quality item.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the very kind words @kmajid, they are greatly appreciated!

I am so glad to see you find resolve to this segment of the journey. As exciting as it's been, the real fun begins when you slip it on her finger and say I Do to one another. All the dollars and energy spent will seem to dissipate and you will just enjoy the final result.

By the way, nice score on a FREE setting! That definitely plays into the financial analysis, especially when considering stones from a different vendor. Not sure the setting you got but several people have been extremely pleased with HPD's bench.

Overall I couldn't be happier for you and the future Mrs. Wishing you nothing but happiness and well being. Cheers brother on a job well done!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge my husband also has a traeger - bought on impulse earlier this year after seeing one of my friends with one. He previously used a big green egg with a wifi fan attachment, which could change the temperature and turn it off, but he still had to occasionally add more fuel and the traeger eliminates that, meaning he no longer has to wake up at night

One of the best things about the Traeger is the hopper, which is where you load the wood pellets. Very easy and large enough to sleep easy through the night when smoking with a low temp.

Much better than weird alarms throughout the night and throwing wood in a traditional smoker.

Prior to the Traeger I was an old school guy as there is a part of the process I find "therapeutic". Plus the taste was there. I tried different things but never found one that clicked for me until the Traeger.

My first experience was Father's day at my wife's parents house. My wife had shared he got a grille and was making ribs. In my head I was like great, I'm sure these will suck being a new system and having a large crowd with no time to develop process, etc.

Thankfully it stayed in my head. Hands down some of the best ribs I've eaten. I was sold after that, and shortly thereafter bought one as well.

One of her brother's also has a Traeger and the 3 of us like to talk shop about different techniques, recipes, etc. We just enjoyed some Traeger talk the other night at the family Christmas party while sipping on some Irish whiskey the brother picked up while honeymooning in Ireland.

If you aren't aware you can cook lots of stuff in them, even mixed drinks, lol.

Screenshot_20191224-091251_Traeger.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results