shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5ct diamond help

boopy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking at engagement rings with the Petite Pave setting in 14k from James Allen.

I'm looking for the best 1.5ct stone, with a budget of ~$10k. A couple questions:
- Would I be okay dropping to a H color/SI1, in order to meet my budget?
- Would I be better off going with I color and VVS2?

I found a couple that looked good using the HCA tool:

1.51ct, H, SI2 (GIA 6225545935):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1125400

1.50ct, H, SI2 (GIA 5226330915):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1107536

1.50ct, H, SI2 (GIA 6231232037): the largest inclusion seems to be on the outer edge of the face; can the setting prongs be placed to cover it?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1938848

Thanks in advance

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can offer a partial answer and hope some of the experts will chime in. Unless it is culturally significant for you or your fiance to have a VVS stone, than folks here will suggest you lower the clarity in favor of cut. But, you want a diamond that is eye-clean at 8-10 inches. For color, I'm happy down in an I or J in white metal, but that is personal preference. In rose or yellow gold, I'd happily go way way lower in color -- as long as other diamonds in the setting harmonize. I can pick up the contrast in colors between stones more easily than the color of an individuals stones when they are all similar.

Also, if you want the biggest stone, you want the biggest looking stone. So, compare face sizes in mm not purely carat weight.

boopy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I noticed that many SI1 and SI2 diamonds I've looked at on James Allen have visible inclusions at 20x, which I couldn't tell when zooming out to 1x. Is there a good way to tell if a diamond will be "eye clean", other than seeing it in person?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boopy|1470621980|4063428 said:
Thanks for the advice! I noticed that many SI1 and SI2 diamonds I've looked at on James Allen have visible inclusions at 20x, which I couldn't tell when zooming out to 1x. Is there a good way to tell if a diamond will be "eye clean", other than seeing it in person?

Call James Allen and ask them if a stone is eye-clean. Ask at what distance they use (cant remember if they use 6 inches or something
different).

boopy

Rough_Rock
I spoke to James Allen about the third diamond, and they said it was eye-clean from 8-10 inches away. They also mentioned that the inclusion on the edge could likely be covered by a prong in the setting. Does it seem like a good buy?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boopy|1470642143|4063481 said:
I spoke to James Allen about the third diamond, and they said it was eye-clean from 8-10 inches away. They also mentioned that the inclusion on the edge could likely be covered by a prong in the setting. Does it seem like a good buy?

I forgot to tell you that you should also request an idealscope image (they can only do them if the stone is in the NY area). Put
the stone on hold ASAP. Stones get stolen.

Are you ok with 8-10 inches? I would prefer cleaner. It looks like it would be cleaner (but you cant really tell from pics). I
looked it up and they do use 8-10 inches so I'm hoping that you cant see anything at a closer range.

boopy

Rough_Rock
No ideal scope images unfortunately, since the stone is outside the US. Is the inclusion near the girdle a concern, even though JA has said it's eye clean? Does this look like a good choice, or are there other 1.5ct stones near my budget I should consider? TIA

boopy

Rough_Rock
Bump :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results