shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 vs 1.7 Decision

EricJr

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading through countless threads on this topic (some date back to 2005!) but thought it would be better to ask and seek your advice. I am between two stones at the moment but not sure if I should sacrifice cut angle and color for size.

Click each for cert view:
1.76 I vs2 : less optimal cut angle, color is an i, eye clean, and larger.
1.52 H vs1: very nice cut angle (signature ideal), color is H, excellent clarity but it is smaller.

Both are excellent polish, symmetry, no fluorescence, excellent cut grade, and the vs1 is a vs1++.

Here is the kicker, they are the same price.

Thanks!!

Eric

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the 1.5, just on the HCA score alone. However, if you can get idealscope images for the 1.7 and it shows good light return, I might be swayed for the bigger diamond. As it stands though, the 1.7 is not cut as well.

(I have a 1.7 and love the size, but i wouldn't sacrifice cut for size)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go for the better cut. When I got engaged I got a 1.44 GIA ex/ex/ex that did not have the best cut. I ended up sending it away for a recut after researching here why it wasn't as bright as I thought it ought to be. I ended up with a 1.35, but the brightness of the light return actually makes it look bigger than it originally did.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you move this to rockytalk you'll probably get ALOT more responses!

Irishsparkles

Rough_Rock
What size is her finger? I know that I liked a 1.7 carat on my size 7 finger better than a 1.5 carat. Maybe go down in color but don't compromise on cut. Just a thought.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are buying without seeing the stone or with an idealscope image, the 1.5 is your safest purchase. I'd look for an alternative in the 1.6-1.7 range because I really don't like the numbers on the 1.7 stone you posted.

EricJr

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'm doing research on the cut and why cut angles matter tonight.

Can I get an admin to move this to rockytalky?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, 1.5 and 1.7 size difference is not enough to compromise on cut. 1.5 and 2.0 maybe. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results