shape
carat
color
clarity

“Upgrading” from 0.624 G VS2 to 1.4 K SI2

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Instead of an L with a so-so cut, I would personally just 'go big' & embrace the warmth by getting an ideal cut 'M' or warmer and set in colored metal (yellow gold..) or with a vintage cut stone. BG doesn't have a huge selection right now but you could always ask if they have anything not yet listed.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/signature-diamonds/cape

Thanks mochiko, I agree with you! Everyone’s suggestions have helped me really define what I want exactly - I have told my jeweler I’d like an ideal cut at the very least, and the setting may be rose gold so K-L-M would be a strong possibility, I’m not bothered by color and am prepared for a yellowish tint. I also saw an M OEC I really like, but I’m waiting patiently for my jeweler to come back with options. If they don’t have anything, then I’ll look into trading my stone independently at a bigger loss and then going for a JA ideal cut or OEC stone :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mochiko, I agree with you! Everyone’s suggestions have helped me really define what I want exactly - I have told my jeweler I’d like an ideal cut at the very least, and the setting may be rose gold so K-L-M would be a strong possibility, I’m not bothered by color and am prepared for a yellowish tint. I also saw an M OEC I really like, but I’m waiting patiently for my jeweler to come back with options. If they don’t have anything, then I’ll look into trading my stone independently at a bigger loss and then going for a JA ideal cut or OEC stone :)

I would also check the local gem shows to get a better understanding of local market price & inventory availabilities. If you're able to get to a city that has big gem & jewellery shows (HK, Bkk, Singapore, etc.) you could check out the diamond vendors there. I remember seeing some warmer stones at diamond vendors at the HK shows (O/P through Z colors).

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.04 ct K, VS1 H&A from GOG that they've used in some of their older videos. The stone is stunning. Was trying to compare it to my I H&A earrings from WF but I couldn't get them to line up.

So instead, I took a ton of K pics and am posting the two that shows the color I'm seeing when it's facing north, on a grey, rainy, nyc day. Of course it's going to be a bit different on your screen, but this is the most color it shows. Most people will never notice.

The K color is a warm white (think antique lace) , not yellow. But there is a visible difference between the I and K when they're next to each other. Thing is, no one going to be comparing them side by side.

The stone is a VS1, but hasn't been cleaned in months (yes, I'm terrible) so you're not seeing inclusions.
KVS1 1.jpg KVS1.jpg

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.04 ct K, VS1 H&A from GOG that they've used in some of their older videos. The stone is stunning. Was trying to compare it to my I H&A earrings from WF but I couldn't get them to line up.

So instead, I took a ton of K pics and am posting the two that shows the color I'm seeing when it's facing north, on a grey, rainy, nyc day. Of course it's going to be a bit different on your screen, but this is the most color it shows. Most people will never notice.

The K color is a warm white (think antique lace) , not yellow. But there is a visible difference between the I and K when they're next to each other. Thing is, no one going to be comparing them side by side.

The stone is a VS1, but hasn't been cleaned in months (yes, I'm terrible) so you're not seeing inclusions.
KVS1 1.jpg KVS1.jpg

Thanks for this great example! I can’t see any color :) I think all Ks may be made different and you got a very good one!

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would also check the local gem shows to get a better understanding of local market price & inventory availabilities. If you're able to get to a city that has big gem & jewellery shows (HK, Bkk, Singapore, etc.) you could check out the diamond vendors there. I remember seeing some warmer stones at diamond vendors at the HK shows (O/P through Z colors).

I’ll keep this in mind for next year. I’ve also found a local dealer who happens to have some truly terrible diamonds K-P I think haha with some ideal cut (HCA below 2) among the rest, just with indented natural and even a milky diamond (gosh glad I spotted that in the comments bye). Exactly what I have been looking for, a flawed ideal cut w the flaws and color/fluorescence bringing down the price. Would be posting the stats/ASET here for review before making any decisions though. At least I know they’re out there!

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! What are your thoughts on this diamond? 1.74 ct, M, SI2, strong blue fluorescence, sparkle is only “very good”.
http://www.fonderdiamond.sg/en/diamonddetail.jsp?id=1207438

GIA cert: http://www.fonderdiamond.sg/Certificates/1207438

It costs US$5,190 and it has a HCA score of 1.4.

I would like to know if there’s anything I’m missing and why this wouldn’t be a good option! Maybe there are too many inclusions in places that are dangerous? This is assuming I’m fine with the M color, inclusions and fluorescence once viewed in person.

Thanks in advance for all opinions as I’m trying to learn more about diamonds :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! What are your thoughts on this diamond? 1.74 ct, M, SI2, strong blue fluorescence, sparkle is only “very good”.
http://www.fonderdiamond.sg/en/diamonddetail.jsp?id=1207438

GIA cert: http://www.fonderdiamond.sg/Certificates/1207438

It costs US$5,190 and it has a HCA score of 1.4.

I would like to know if there’s anything I’m missing and why this wouldn’t be a good option! Maybe there are too many inclusions in places that are dangerous? This is assuming I’m fine with the M color, inclusions and fluorescence once viewed in person.

Thanks in advance for all opinions as I’m trying to learn more about diamonds :)

This seems like a nice 60/60 stone. The angles are a little outside of the "ideal" range but still complimentary. Have you seen the stone in person?

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This seems like a nice 60/60 stone. The angles are a little outside of the "ideal" range but still complimentary. Have you seen the stone in person?

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I haven’t yet, what should I look out for while viewing it? I’m thinking that I’ll try to bring back an ASET image and compare it in shaded daylight/daylight to another ideal cut diamond of better color, better clarity and 0 fluorescence, and examine all the inclusions and see if I am happy with them.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
You absolutely need to see this stone in person. Between the graining, clouds and strong blue fluoro, I'd want to make sure it wasn't hazy looking.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You absolutely need to see this stone in person. Between the graining, clouds and strong blue fluoro, I'd want to make sure it wasn't hazy looking.

I’ll definitely be comparing it to a normal diamond and checking for haziness/milkiness! However, they seem to have been honest about other diamonds appearing milky while they haven’t indicated it for this one. Will have to confirm this in person. Graining just means the inclusions in the cert right?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to add that I am a big fan of strong blue flouro, I would actually look for it in a stone, I think it makes them that much prettier especially in the J-k range!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an SI2 with feathers as the primary inclusion would not be one I'd consider.

The other thing is that while I do not mind lower colors in antique stones, I think an M in a modern round is not going to be nearly as appealing. Brightness is diminished somewhat when you get down to that level of color. If you like the color of your mother's K color stone, then I'd really recommend searching for J-K in modern rounds and look at OECs if you want to go lower in color. It's a pretty extreme change to go from G VS2 to M SI2!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an SI2 with feathers as the primary inclusion would not be one I'd consider.

The other thing is that while I do not mind lower colors in antique stones, I think an M in a modern round is not going to be nearly as appealing. Brightness is diminished somewhat when you get down to that level of color. If you like the color of your mother's K color stone, then I'd really recommend searching for J-K in modern rounds and look at OECs if you want to go lower in color. It's a pretty extreme change to go from G VS2 to M SI2!

This. It's a HUGE change and, while you might not be color sensitive - you're not talking about the difference between a G and, say, an I. A G to an M is a whole different animal, and I'm totally with Diamondseeker when she suggests going with an old cut as a way of flattering that level of warmth.

However, an old cut, with those larger facets, is also going to show up inclusions far more easily as there is less to distract the eye, so my best suggestion would be to downgrade EITHER color or clarity - but not both. A nice, clean, M VS OEC would be gorgeous, and an I colored SI in a modern round brilliant - also could be wonderful.

Is there some reason you can't save a little longer to get something of a higher quality? I'm not talking perfectly cut collectors items - just a nicer overall diamond. Or upgrade now, then upgrade again in a year or two? Is there a time deadline for this? You need to ask yourself id you liked your G VS2 - and if you did - if you'll be happy to do away with those characteristics, just to get more size. If that IS the case, I'd suggest going to one of those places that offer much lower quality of diamonds but for far less cost; it's possible that might hit the spot.

ETA Having said all that, however, *this* diamond is lovely and could look awesome in rose gold:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...m-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3623924

and this one is even cheaper:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...m-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3355550

Last edited:

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This. It's a HUGE change and, while you might not be color sensitive - you're not talking about the difference between a G and, say, an I. A G to an M is a whole different animal, and I'm totally with Diamondseeker when she suggests going with an old cut as a way of flattering that level of warmth.

However, an old cut, with those larger facets, is also going to show up inclusions far more easily as there is less to distract the eye, so my best suggestion would be to downgrade EITHER color or clarity - but not both. A nice, clean, M VS OEC would be gorgeous, and an I colored SI in a modern round brilliant - also could be wonderful.

Is there some reason you can't save a little longer to get something of a higher quality? I'm not talking perfectly cut collectors items - just a nicer overall diamond. Or upgrade now, then upgrade again in a year or two? Is there a time deadline for this? You need to ask yourself id you liked your G VS2 - and if you did - if you'll be happy to do away with those characteristics, just to get more size. If that IS the case, I'd suggest going to one of those places that offer much lower quality of diamonds but for far less cost; it's possible that might hit the spot.

ETA Having said all that, however, *this* diamond is lovely and could look awesome in rose gold:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...m-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3623924

and this one is even cheaper:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...m-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3355550

Hi mrs-b, thanks for the great advice and sharing all kinds of options! :)

Honestly I don’t like my G VS2. I don’t like that it’s quite white in an RG setting and I don’t like that I thought that I wanted a “good” diamond and blindly went for a good diamond. I think going for ideal cut instead of Super Ideal would have stretched my budget much better at the time. I was only shown a few diamonds of high clarity, G onwards and all Super Ideal. Knowing what i know now and seeing in person how lovely warmer diamonds are, i would much rather have gone for a flawed diamond in a bigger size.

I don’t want to wear my ring in future, I want to enjoy it now. It’s a few percent of my earnings. I could spend more since I technically have it, but given that I don’t actually spend this kind of money in general, I think my budget is fair to myself (I wouldn’t feel comfortable with spending more or walking around with a ring that cost any more than that). The absolute max budget is looking like 7000++ (gotta leave room for taxes if I do ship the stone and technicallyyyyy it would be cool if the re-setting was included in the 7000++).

You are right, I did see a beautiful M VS OEC at a perfect price and size :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m talking with another jeweller now as he’s agreed to trade in my diamond at a fair price. The only problem is that he keeps telling me that I shouldn’t buy a K diamond :P2 He doesn’t even like my G lol.

1770A756-323D-4534-B19D-1CF9B8CA9C2A.jpeg

“When she is not happy, we are dead”

Well, PS is definitely on the same page as he is about going for better color xD

Also, what kind of girl friend ridicules you for your diamond color lol I don’t want that kind of friend. My friends are supportive or just don’t mention it if they don’t like something!

He’s also offered me a trade in of: (top up cash USD3700 + trade in of old diamond 0.624 G VS2 AGS cert) for a 1.01ct GIA triple ex F SI2 no fluoro with a HCA score below 2 (Pending what the inclusions look like, but given that he’s so fussy I doubt he’ll have a salt and pepper stone). It’s not a super awesome deal based on comparing similar stones on JA and looking at the JA value of my stone without Super Ideal (USD2200, if considering 30% loss for used stone then USD1,540) + a decent ideal cut JA 1.01ct F SI2 (USD4700), so technically I should only top up USD 3,160 to at least be somewhat competitive with JA pricing.) I think he’s open to negotiation though.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
There are countries in Asia that value high color and clarity for cultural reasons, so if that's where you are, I can understand a jeweler dissuading from colorless stones as it's cultural.

With that said, I dare him to tell the difference between an F and G diamond once set in a ring. He's a liar, plain and simple.

After that convo, I wouldn't trust him to give you a fair price for your ring, nor sell you a diamond at a good price. He is sooo full of *ish that I almost LOL'd.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jadesilver Wow! What a terribly rude person! I would not deal with him/her like ever.

Don't have to trade in your existing stone? Can you just post it on LT/DB/eBay or keep it as a pendant/other piece of jewelry?

You will know best what color will work for you. As long as you are ok with the lower color in person - go for it!

Btw BGD will have a sale next week, you might want to pay attn on their Cape collection..

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There are countries in Asia that value high color and clarity for cultural reasons, so if that's where you are, I can understand a jeweler dissuading from colorless stones as it's cultural.

With that said, I dare him to tell the difference between an F and G diamond once set in a ring. He's a liar, plain and simple.

After that convo, I wouldn't trust him to give you a fair price for your ring, nor sell you a diamond at a good price. He is sooo full of *ish that I almost LOL'd.

The other Super Ideal jeweller does carry G stones though and I purposely went with the G :)

Yep, I’m in one of those countries where color and clarity is valued in certain circles, but in the various circles I’m personally in, it is all very different depending on each circle’s interests, some people aren’t interested in diamonds, some are quite interested, but everyone is always polite and nobody ever asks for diamond stats or is pushy. Asians maybe haha or maybe my circle (the ones who are even into diamonds) is not THAT interested in diamonds haha.

He has sold two 1 ct diamonds with high stats (F onwards, VS, HCA score below 2) in beautiful halo settings and side stones to two of my friends in those particular color-comparing circles though for around USD 7400 including setting which I feel is a fair price and unbeatable by BMs here. A lot of doctors go to him for their diamonds. I’ve also gone to him quite a bit for repairs, replating and resizing and he has been perfectly lovely and helped me out in many ways, even though I only spent a few dollars (maybe a hundred or two on two occasions) compared to my friends who spent thousands. He may seem “rude” to you but this is generally how a middle-aged Asian uncle would tell a younger kid they were going down the wrong path hahaha.

Anyway I definitely don’t buy the G-is-bad thing, but I can understand if he has clients in certain circles who are particular and thus he wants to recommend better color. I also don’t intend to be cheated, so I won’t take anything he says too seriously unless it’s exactly in line with what PS has said :)

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@jadesilver Wow! What a terribly rude person! I would not deal with him/her like ever.

Don't have to trade in your existing stone? Can you just post it on LT/DB/eBay or keep it as a pendant/other piece of jewelry?

You will know best what color will work for you. As long as you are ok with the lower color in person - go for it!

Btw BGD will have a sale next week, you might want to pay attn on their Cape collection..

I’ve thought about this sooooo many times haha because I want to pull the trigger on the M OEC, but I don’t really want a diamond lying around if it’s worth 1,500-3500(what I originally paid including taxes) cos I have other diamond pendants and wouldn’t pay that much for a pendant. Even if it’s just 1500-1800, i want to put it towards the full price of the final diamond that I’ll be wearing almost daily, so I can max it out in terms of value. And yeah, I thought of posting it on LT but I really feel like I won’t get more than USD1500-2000 for it (USD2200 is what it’s going for on JA new). I did post it locally.

Okay now you are making me imagine/want a pendant with this diamond LOL but I think it’s too small for me to like it, I’d rather have the cash.

Thank you for the tip about BGD, I’ll check this out :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve thought about this sooooo many times haha because I want to pull the trigger on the M OEC, but I don’t really want a diamond lying around if it’s worth 1,500-3500(what I originally paid including taxes) cos I have other diamond pendants and wouldn’t pay that much for a pendant. Even if it’s just 1500-1800, i want to put it towards the full price of the final diamond that I’ll be wearing almost daily, so I can max it out in terms of value. And yeah, I thought of posting it on LT but I really feel like I won’t get more than USD1500-2000 for it (USD2200 is what it’s going for on JA new). I did post it locally.

Okay now you are making me imagine/want a pendant with this diamond LOL but I think it’s too small for me to like it, I’d rather have the cash.

Thank you for the tip about BGD, I’ll check this out :)

I mean, I am all aboir repurposing diamond, if you can't get their full trade-in value or if trade-in limits your upgrade options..

Another thing that I would do with (if not a pendant) it is a graduated 5 stone band, so much bling on budget and you can always alternate diamond rings. I wish I still had my original engagement diamond. It was the same size as yours. Mine was stolen, otherwise I would have never let that one go. But at the end the decision is yours! Just don't compromise terribly on the new stone please ;-)

appl3

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind words!! I am proud of picking out this beautiful diamonds! And I totally feel you. I have been through what you are experiencing right now. I looked at JA/BN/WF/GOG multiple times a day and got frustrated because of what I want vs my limited budget. I will try my best to help (keep my eyes on JA). Also I don't think true hearts are in house because mine is a TH but had IDJ to source the stone as suppose to buying it on JA. I would say try asking your jeweler. They might have access to TH stones. Good Luck!

Hey I know this is an old thread, but how was your experience with IDJ?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ is highly respected on these boards for good reason. But since this thread is very old I recommend starting a new one.

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the delay. It was really good. They were really patient and really wanted to you get what you love. Their prices are also very competitive. I highly recommended IDJ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results