shape
carat
color
clarity

“Hannoush Jewelers: Watch Out”, or Why I am Here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
I apologize in advance for being not as fluent in English as most of the people on this forum (my native language is Russian).

I found this forum very helpful and highly professional, the people kind and intelligent. I have learned a lot for the past several weeks from this site, THANK YOU ALL. It made me trust in the online diamond shopping. I really would like to be a part of this diamond community.

My story started when my husband and I finally decided to buy a diamond engagement ring for me (after 12 years of marriage :). Just a month ago I knew nothing about diamonds, actually I did not even think the diamonds were worth thinking of. However, being mathematician by education, I decided to explore this unknown for me area of knowledge. Well, soon I fell in love with all this “cut, color, clarity, table, depth, girdle”, etc… terminology. It turned out that the diamonds are not just about money or prestige, it is much more, it is a whole new world, the universe.

OK, all the above is more from the emotional sphere, now I’d like to share my little practical experience:
BAD:
- Think twice if deal with “Hannoush Jewelers” and pay in advance. We have been treated poorly and can not get the refund from them (Woodbridge Mall, NJ) up to now, for more than a month already.
- Be careful with “Jewelry Exchange”. It is hard to resist, they do not let you go. Not sure how knowledgeable they are saying that a diamond less than 1 carat does not require the certification, hm…

GOOD:
- James Allen, my favorite site(http://www.jamesallen.com). I LOVE their 3D and Hand 3D Views. They are bewitching. Recently started several deals with Jim. He and his people are very friendly, obliging and patient. Hopefully, I will be happy with their service. Let you know when the deals are over (Russians always afraid to jinx:)

Sincerely,

Irina

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to you Irina - some of the nicest ladies have that name!
36.gif
I hope you stick around and join in the fun with the rest of us diamond crazies!
41.gif
Jim and his team are among the best, I look forward to seeing your purchases!

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock

Thank you Rich, thank you Lorelei, you are so kind.

Now back to the ground. I do have a pragmatic question. “To negotiate or not to negotiate: that is the question”. What is the common online practice with the reputable, serious, high quality jewelry dealers? Is it a proper and decent manner to negotiate on the diamond and mounting prices measured in thousands of dollars? I know that in the malls, TV shopping channels and other less expensive jewelry sites they usually offer discounts up to 30-50% and sometimes even more from the original price.

Thanks,

Irina

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Irina and welcome
35.gif

As for the negotiating question. Many online vendors do not have the same mark-up as the local B&M on their stones/settings so they may not have as much wiggle room to deal. But, if you are making multiple purchases or buying a stone and setting it surely never hurts to ask
31.gif
2.gif
. A few hundred dollars saved is a few hundred earned and worth the question to me
1.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Irina! As a mathematician, you''ll feel right at home in this forum full of cut/angle/proportion-obssessed people!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 12:34:26 AM
Author:irinaalexandrovna

I apologize in advance for being not as fluent in English as most of the people on this forum (my native language is Russian).

HI:

Welcome! And please, any worry about your English is completely unfounded--your post read perfectly! Look forward to many more....

cheers--Sharon

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock

O-o-o, I should have not missed this little “a” before “mathematician”, I knew it

29.gif
! Shame on me
21.gif
! My dear friends, please do not be afraid to hurt my feelings by correcting my most obvious grammar and style slips or whatever sounds awkward to you. I can always run a spell checker, but this “Articles” area of English grammar has always been the most painful for me (even though I know all the basic rules, or at least have read them hundreds of times). I know all you are very kind people, but I really appreciate your critical input. Only this way I can learn (article?) live English. Actually it relates not only to (the?) grammar, but to (the?) people’s (is ‘s’ needed?) advices as well, I prefer critical opinions because very often in my far going fantasies I need to be sensibly stopped from making (the?) wrong decisions. Well, probably I should have gone to some ESL Grammar Forum instead of RockyTalky, sorry, please ignore my post if your are aready bored with my writings.

Now, back to the jewelry world. What do you think about this ring? (could not attach the photo, so the link is below.) I am not sure if I will be wearing it al lot (if do decide to buy), I am not really a Barbie-looking and thinking girl, rather a business woman, but something attracts me enormously in this ring: unusual shape, connection with (the?) nature (sounds awkward, right?), combination of colors and stones, I do not know. Am I crazy? Where will I wear this ring: to work, to the mall or Shop Rite? Isn’t it a red carpet sort of ring?

Color Of Nature Diamond Butterfly Ring
http://www.jamesallen.com/designer_jewelry/leon_popov_collection.asp?module=setting&cid=159&item=537&name=3

Thanks,

Irina

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Irina,

Welcome to PriceScope.

Your grammar is fine. (Even your use of articles is fine.) I have noticed some subtleties in your word choices, but you will gradually fix that as you learn more English words.

If your "mistakes" bother you, you can always edit your posts later to fix them. I do this fairly often. (I sometimes accidentally leave out words, or mis-type words.)

Only this way I can learn (article?) live English. Actually it relates not only to (the?) grammar, but to (the?) people’s (is ‘s’ needed?) advices as well, I prefer critical opinions because very often in my far going fantasies I need to be sensibly stopped from making (the?) wrong decisions.

Here are three possible re-writes:

This is the only way I can learn English. Actually, it relates not only to grammar, but to people's advice as well. I prefer critical opinions, because very often in my fantasies, I need some common-sense advice to avoid making mistakes.

Only in this way can I learn English. Actually, it relates not only to grammar, but to people's advice as well. I prefer critical opinions, because very often in my far-going fantasies I need to be sensibly stopped from making poor decisions.

Only in this way can I learn English. Actually, it relates not only to grammar, but to people's advice as well. I prefer critical opinions, because very often in my far-going fantasies I need to be sensibly stopped from making the wrong decisions.

As far as I can tell, all of these re-writes mean the same thing.

A Ukrainian I used to work with concluded that the article is actually part of the word -- even if another word slips in between the article and the main word, or even if the article is sometimes replaced by an adjective. I am afraid this means there are even more English "words" for you to remember. For example:
people = more than one person
a people = a tribe of people
the people = the most obvious tribe of people
united states = some states that happen to be united
the United States = the United States of America
china = fancy plates and dishes
China = the People's Republic of China, and/or Taiwan
France = the country that Marseilles is in
the Ukraine = the country that Odessa is in (this is a special case; "the Ukraine" literally translates to "the Mark")

Please forgive me if my sentences are complicated. Sometimes I use long sentences, with complicated verb forms. Please let me know if I need to simplify my sentences or verb forms. And feel free to ignore my advice -- you are doing fine already.

-- Jasper
http://www.folds.net/diamond

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Irina!
9.gif

That butterfly ring is so unique! I''m not much for butterflies, personally, but that ring could almost change me into a butterfly lover! hehe. It''s so delicate and pretty...the 3D hand model view of it really looks neat.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope Irina! I look forward to getting to know you through your posts.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS Irina!!!
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the butterfly ring. A poster named butterfly 17 has one very similar and it''s so pretty on. If you''re a butterfly lover I think it would be a fabulous accessory.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everybody.

Tomorrow I will receive my butterfly ring from James Allen and let you know my opinion when I see it in person. Next my purchase will be an engagement ring. The size of the stone will depend on whether or not I keep the butterfly. I have already decided on the mounting, it will be:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?cid=57&module=setting&item=174
(WOW, it used to be $800 a couple of days ago, now it is already $1100!)

Anyway, because I have not had and most likely will not have many chances (if any) to hold, explore, compare (the) diamonds in my own hands, I am going to rely mostly on the numbers. I am not crazy about having a 1carat stone as a must: 0.7 ct is fine with me. The quality seems to me much more important, it is rather a psychological and emotional factor than practical. I do not consider buying a diamond as an investment either. Having said that I have a question:

If I find an ideal round cut, colorless, IF-VVS clarity, excellent sym/polish, etc… with HCA between 0.6-1.6, what is the probability that it will be really a perfect diamond? Or it still may have some hidden defects and seeing it in person and comparing with others (where do I get those "others", ah
41.gif
?) is a necessary step before making a final decision?

One more question: which HCA is better from your opinion: 0.6 or 1.6?

And one more: what would you prefer on the same size: E/VVS2 or F/IF?

Talking about grammar (hallo, Jasper!) can anybody explain me why “poor decisions” do not require any article, but “the wrong decisions” do? And: do I make "a" final decision or "the" final decision?

Thanks,

Irina

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Irina, welcome, and you have nothing to apologize for about your english. Your grammar is better, and you are more articulate, than most native English speakers. I speak from long experience re-writing and editing the work of others, and from dealing with poorly written contracts every day. Your writing is enviable.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I find an ideal round cut, colorless, IF-VVS clarity, excellent sym/polish, etc… with HCA between 0.6-1.6, what is the probability that it will be really a perfect diamond? Or it still may have some hidden defects and seeing it in person and comparing with others (where do I get those "others", ah ?) is a necessary step before making a final decision?

---Well IF or FL is still not perfect...the higher you go in clarity the less of a chance you would see anything but there is no real 'perfect' diamond out there in the sense of unflawed perfection. I would suggest you go to a local store and look at some stones in terms of clarity, figure out where you feel most comfortable. My first diamond was a VS1 and then I went to an SI1 and then an SI2 but all have had nothing visible...'eye-clean' is the term...anyway they can represent a great deal if you don't get too hung up on the IF/VVS perfection thing.

One more question: which HCA is better from your opinion: 0.6 or 1.6?
--I would take the 1.6 HCA score over 0.6 as some say that scores under I think 0.7 on the HCA will provide a loss of contrast in the stone, so it may not be as pretty. It's still under debate ! My sweet spot for HCA is around 1 but I have seen lovely stones just slightly under and slightly over too! It's just one tool available along with many to determine cut quality.

And one more: what would you prefer on the same size: E/VVS2 or F/IF?
--Honestly, I would choose a VS stone, never a VVS or an IF. I also don't love the high colors, but if you only had those two choices, I'd choose the E VVS2. But an E or F VS would be just as great looking if the cut quality is excellent AND the stone was graded by a reputable lab. There are also large price differences between FL/IF/VVS/VS/SI so if budget is an issue, again I'd urge to get into a store and take a look at some stones in person to gauge your real comfort level visually, not just go on what you have 'heard' or read about in terms of color and clarity. It's so subjective.

Hope this helps!!
Good luck and welcome!

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Mara,

Your response is very convinsing, I may reconsider my approach.

Back to my experience with Hannoush Jewelers. Believe it or not, but I still did not get my refund from Hannoush Jewelers. If you want to hear the full story, here it is:
The story began when my husband and I were shopping for an engagement ring in “Hannoush Jewelers” store at Woodbridge Mall some time in the mid of February 2006. Ned Qureshi, a salesperson, hypnotized us and convinced to pay $7420 in advance for the future ring he would make for us with a high quality, up to 1ct, diamond. We used American Express for this transaction. Ned never called me back to make an appointment to see the stone in person as promised; instead I had to do it every time. Eventually 3weeks later on March 10, 2006, we were invited to see the diamond, and it appeared to be not what we asked for: it was a 1.12ct stone for the $10700 price, by the way, here are its parameters:
GIA certified RB
6.59-6.6? x 4.11 mm
1.12 carat
D color
VS1 clarity
Cut Gradle: Very Good (medium – thick)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Cullet: None
Table: 58%
Depth: 62.0%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
We were not happy with the way how Ned treated us, neither did we like the diamond for that price.
Next day, March 11, 2006, I came to the store and asked for a full refund. Ned was sick (was he really?) so I talked directly to the manager Jay Thadani. His manual credit-card machine did not work (?), so he wrote our credit card number by hand on the refund check.
We waited for 10 days, but no money was refunded back to our American Express account. On March 22, 2006, after a thorough examination of the refund receipt we discovered that the credit card number was wrong (one digit was missing). We immediately called Jay and explained the situation. On the question why he did not contact us about the mistake he made while writing the credit card number, Jay was just mumbling something that the money could have been transferred to somebody else’s account, which was nonsense, because the credit card number he wrote was not complete.
Anyway, that day March 22, 2006, he guaranteed the full refund which we would be able to see on our account not more than in three days, but it did not happen. We issued a billing inquiry to American Express on March 24, 2006, which is currently in progress. We contacted Jay once again on April 1, 2006. He promised call me by phone on Monday 3, 2006, but never did. I called him again on April 5, 2006, when he said that his accounting system was broken, so that is why the transfer did not work. I warned him that I was going to write an official letter to the Hannoush Corporate Headquarters and Customer Service departments, but he begged me to take pity on him, his family and his kids
33.gif
. Once again I trusted
17.gif
him. Well, as of today, April 8, 2006, the refund has not been yet done.

American Express is on top of this situation, they suspended this debit balance on our account and issued a dispute against Hannoush, so from this stand point we feel protected. However every day when I check our credit card balance by phone it makes me nervous. Can anybody tell me why they at Hannoush are doing all this, what is the point? Did they loose all our money at gambling?

Absolutely opposite experience with James Allen: Once I was sent two ring samples from Danhov’s Meno collection for the review and had to return them back, it took about a week. But James Allen made the refund even BEFORE the rings arrived back to the manufacturer. I appreciated that very much. That is real trust. Thanks.

Irina

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Please HELP! I am realy really worried about our situation with Hannoush. They do not refund our money, do not answer or return phone calls, do not reply on e-mails. American Express keeps telling that we need to wait up to 8 weeks... Wait for what? Have they stolen our money? I can''t believe. Any advice form those who had a similar experience will be grately appreciated.

Irina

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Hello, Irina!! I just received my engagement ring from James Allen (it''s the Danhov E-1 setting) and it''s just gorgeous!! You''ve chosen a great jeweler. We''re just thrilled with the whole experience.

Regarding American Express, I have filed complaints about charges on my card before and typically, AmEx asks for my side of the story, then asks for the vendor''s side of the story, then they make a decision based on the merits of each side. They allow the vendor a certain length of time to respond and if the vendor doesn''t respond, then AmEx rules in your favor and you don''t owe the charge. I have been successful twice- once with an online membership, once with a hotel that charged me an extra night that I cancelled in advance. When you dispute a charge AmEx does not make you pay for it until the dispute is settled and then only if it isn''t settled in your favor.

I hope that helps ease your mind a bit! I also hope you can understand MY English, being as I''m from Texas and we speak an entirely different language here than in the rest of the world! :)

Best of luck to you!!

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much, clickclick
35.gif
, for your kind words. I do not feel alone anymore. Now you reassured me and I think that everything should be OK, just little bit more patience. And congratulation on the engagement ring. It is gorgeous!

Irina

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Irina,

I love the engagement ring you''ve chosen. It''s very beautiful.

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock

Did you really like this #1011 from James Allen? That is wonderful! Thanks!. This was my very first choice in this diamond journey. I wanted a simple, elegant modern-looking e-ring for our 12 year wedding anniversary. My first ring. Then I was thinking about the "flick ring" from http://www.aurumjewellers.com/#a,

but thought that it would be too technological and heavy; then had some ideas from James Allen Danhov's Meno collection, but they seemed to me too light, etc... Then I suddenly stepped out and fell in love with the butterfly ring ...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gorgeous-butterfly.43209/

To tell the story short, the diamond bug really bit me, as one lady said on this forum... Now I am back to my initial choice, my love from the first sight. I think that a 0.75-77 carat ideal cut will be fine with JA's #1011 e-ring.
19.gif

Thanks,
Irina

P.S. Here is the "flick" ring, isn't it interesting? There is something in this ring, it is European, it is different, that what I love in it. But my choice is still James Allen's one (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?cid=57&module=setting&item=174)[:appl:], but I will make it half platinum, half 18K yellow gold, I love the combination of colors in two-tone rings!

flick.jpg

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Welcome Irina, just have to say LOVING that ring is that white and rose gold? very unique very beautiful!
36.gif

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
They are actually two rings: e-ring + wedding one.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Irina,

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope you find a beautiful ring. I also wish you and your husband a happy and lifelong marriage.

Talking about grammar (hallo, Jasper!) can anybody explain [to] me why “poor decisions” do not require any article, but “the wrong decisions” do?

I noticed that oddity when I was writing it, but I did not stop to figure out the reason for it. Here is a guess:

Most people think about "good decisions" and "poor decisions". Notice the plural: there are usually several "poor decisions" being referred to.

When people are talking about a particular decision, most people narrow down their choices to just two possibilities: "the right answer" and "the wrong answer". Notice the singular: the word "wrong" usually goes with a particular answer. I guess I am used to the word "wrong" usually being preceded by an article. (And it is possible that I made a mistake in this example.) The great irony is that often there are several right answers (and several wrong answers), but it takes some imagination to see more than one "right answer".

And: do I make "a" final decision or "the" final decision?

Both are OK.

Usually people talk about "when they will make a final decision" when they have not made the decision yet. In this case, the word "a" goes along with the idea of "maybe", because there are several possible "final decisions" that they can choose from.

After people have "made their final decision", they usually talk about "the final decision", because they know that a particular decision was made.

This is not a hard-and-fast rule. You can use either "a" or "the" in this situation, and people will figure out what you mean. It helps that there is very little possibility of confusion -- the word "final" narrows things down a lot.

-- Jasper

irinaalexandrovna

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Jasper. The more I read on this forum, the more I see how different, interesting, intelligent and special the people on this forum are. This world is not just about diamonds as they are, it is also about science, kindness, feelings and even poetry. That what comes to my mind after reading such articles and replies like yours.

Thanks,

Irina

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results