shape
carat
color
clarity

“Casual party” attire?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We have an event coming up. It is cocktails and appetizers, so I was planning to wear a little black dress. But we just got an email that attire for the event was “casual party.” Can someone please explain to me what that means? And what you would wear!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slacks, heels, and a nice blouse. Probably a piece of statement jewelry too, but nothing too fancy... more something colorful or with nice visual interest.

Have fun!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rarely wear trousers, so whenever I go out, I always wear a dress.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slacks, heels, and a nice blouse. Probably a piece of statement jewelry too, but nothing too fancy... more something colorful or with nice visual interest.

Have fun!
This is what I would say, or, maybe a long casual skirt and appropriate top. (flats would be ok too I think, with either)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I rarely wear trousers, so whenever I go out, I always wear a dress.

I’m kind of in the same boat. I wear jeans and/or shorts all the time. And I have dresses. My wardrobe has a gaping hole in the shape of pants and nice blouses.

My workout wear game is A+, though.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I would say, or, maybe a long casual skirt and appropriate top. (flats would be ok too I think, with either)

Do you think a maxi dress would work? I do have one of those. I mean, I wear the darn thing to everything. Because it seems to fit that hole in my wardrobe.

My problem is that I don’t particularly enjoy clothes shopping right now because I don’t like the silhouette that is currently in fashion. The voluminous tops are not so good with a full bust. They sort of come out over your bust and hang. That’s not my fave.

I would kill to see a dart. Shaped clothing of any kind, really.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think a maxi dress would work? I do have one of those. I mean, I wear the darn thing to everything. Because it seems to fit that hole in my wardrobe.

My problem is that I don’t particularly enjoy clothes shopping right now because I don’t like the silhouette that is currently in fashion. The voluminous tops are not so good with a full bust. They sort of come out over your bust and hang. That’s not my fave.

I would kill to see a dart. Shaped clothing of any kind, really.
I think it would be fine, especially if you are comfortable in it. :wink2: If it leans toward the dressier side, just dress it down a little with your accessories.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be fine, especially if you are comfortable in it. :wink2: If it leans toward the dressier side, just dress it down a little with your accessories.

Thank you!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
When I go to my husbands casual work parties I wear my grey knit dress that goes to just a bit under the knee with some pretty jewellery. Them originally saying cocktail makes it wierd though :/

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear jeans, a really sexy, fitted silk blouse, heels & nice jewellery =)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 'uniform' for smart casual event is one of my dark background Jamsworld Hawaiian shirt with black trousers or treggings. Blings will be my better ones such as the larger EC ring and one of the larger CS with blingy earrings.

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For "casual party" I totally think your maxi dress will be just right ... me, I'd go with flats and then whatever accessories feels right (mood, weather, colors) - have a fun time!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an outfit that is black leggings/skinny pants with laces up the sides, (David Lerner x-cross lace-up)and then a bright red loose fitting blouse top with side of the arms openings that ends at the waist. I like leggings and these are dressier esp with heels. If you like leggings and you're on the slimmer side, it's a nice look (to me anyway). If you don't like leggings, disregard.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a pair of dressy black pants (I like a slight flare with 5% spandex for comfort and nice fit) is my wardrobe staple. I can dress them up or down depending on the occasion.
A Maxi dress with lower heels or flats will be great.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear dresses all the time though I do occasionally wear pants. For casual attire I take that to mean whatever I am comfortable in and that would be a dress. You can never go wrong with a comfortable dress. Smart and sophisticated and goes for any occasion IMO.

A maxi dress that you love and feel good in works very well.
And of course the LBD works for all and any occasions if you have one that you love in your wardrobe.

Wear what makes you feel good and you cannot go wrong. These days I find anything goes anyway no matter what is on the invite. From black tie affairs to casual parties seriously. Rules are relaxed and almost anything goes. Don't sweat it and enjoy yourself!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the awesome advice! I got a good sense of the dressiness level I should be aiming for.

Ended up spending some quality time at Nordstrom yesterday. I figured it was only responsible to fill the blouse-shaped hole in my wardrobe! So now I have several options that will look great either with dark denim or with black leggings (I do like leggings @doberman and I have a new pair from Athleta that are on the dressier side (they are intended not for workouts but for wearing out and about)). I will probably wear a black blouse with one of those two pant options. I looooove black. It’s an ongoing issue. Some might say I look like a Sicilian widow. I say it’s classic. :lol:

Now my ongoing mission will be to find shoes. I vowed several years ago to only wear shoes that make my feet feel good, and as a consequence, my shoe wardrobe is very small. But on the bright side, I’m in a much better mood when my feet don’t hurt!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now my ongoing mission will be to find shoes. I vowed several years ago to only wear shoes that make my feet feel good, and as a consequence, my shoe wardrobe is very small. But on the bright side, I’m in a much better mood when my feet don’t hurt!

What is the weather like by you now? I love boots and you will find me generally in either in boots or sandals though I occasionally enjoy wearing supportive ballet flats. So if you are going with leggings (love that option by the way and I always wear leggings as tights with shorter dresses in the cooler weather) boots look amazing with them. Or if it's warm ballet flats look quite smart with leggings too. And you can use the boots or ballet flats or whatever shoes you choose as your pop of color in your wardrobe decision. That and a purse if you choose to take one. That way you incorporate some color.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately it is still way too hot here for boots. @missy

I guess the shoe shaped hole in my wardrobe is mostly heels and flats. I have a hard time finding dressy shoes that are comfortable. What brands do you like for supportive flats? Someone recommended Vionic to me the other day. Haven’t tried that brand yet but they get great reviews. My trusty wedges are Cole Haan. They are several years old and I probably should update them, but man, they have been wonderful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it is still way too hot here for boots. @missy

I guess the shoe shaped hole in my wardrobe is mostly heels and flats. I have a hard time finding dressy shoes that are comfortable. What brands do you like for supportive flats? Someone recommended Vionic to me the other day. Haven’t tried that brand yet but they get great reviews. My trusty wedges are Cole Haan. They are several years old and I probably should update them, but man, they have been wonderful.

I hear you and have only flats/sandals/boots in my shoe wardrobe. I can only wear the lowest heels and flats. I like J Crew for ballet flats and find them very comfy and the price point cannot be beat. I hear Vionic is good too but haven't found a style I like from them albeit I haven't searched much for one. When I got married I wore flats despite the protest of my hair stylist (who did my hair and makeup) and my philosophy is simply this. Comfort is #1 period. Style and comfort can go hand in hand though so no worries and no need to sacrifice one's style for comfort but I am one of those girls who does not believe one must wear heels to be stylish.

Here's 2 quick pics of one of my J Crew ballet flats that are comfortable. I have them in all the colors. My blue ones are my favorite.
jcrewballetflatsneutralsuede.jpg

jcrewballetflatsblue.jpg

Hope you find just the right shoes with just the right outfit and have a blast at the event.:appl:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would probably wear a pair of dark jeans, heels or nice flats, with a colorful blouse and statement jewelry. Maybe even an updo (top bun) if your hair is long enough

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the awesome advice! I got a good sense of the dressiness level I should be aiming for.

Ended up spending some quality time at Nordstrom yesterday. I figured it was only responsible to fill the blouse-shaped hole in my wardrobe! So now I have several options that will look great either with dark denim or with black leggings (I do like leggings @doberman and I have a new pair from Athleta that are on the dressier side (they are intended not for workouts but for wearing out and about)).

I took a guess that you were younger based on your ID/avatar, and would like leggings. I'm an old crone, and I still like leggings, but a lot of women my age don't seem to enjoy them as much, even though they'd probably look good in them.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a tunic dress with leggings and sandals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results