shape
carat
color
clarity

“Authorized Retailers” and Customization

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is frustrating! I already have two estimates to produce a custom ring for me; however, since the ring I want is only a minor mod to one from the G&Co/Amavida line, I thought I would also try to get an estimate from them because it feels right ethically; I know from talking with G&Co directly that they will customize their settings pretty much however a customer wants/needs for an additional charge, of course; and the mod I want really is a relatively minor change. It just needs to come to them through their “authorized retailer”. :doh:

I ran into this exact same situation a couple years ago with 2 other G&Co “authorized retailers”. I provided the changes with clear drawings/notes/specifics I wanted made to the setting - also pretty minor really - and they (auth retailer) could not communicate it at all with G&CO and/or they push me to have their own bench (unknown to me) create the ring themselves, thus basically shafting G&Co on the sale and likely keeping the money more in-house. That feels kinda shady to me. And in that situation a couple years ago, I managed to speak to someone directly at G&Co who confirmed they understood exactly what I wanted and that it was an easy/do-able mod, but the info "needs to come through the authorized retailer”.

In my current situation, the salesperson didn’t even wait for me to explain what the change was that I wanted; she just jumped out and said “G&Co will only modify the type of metal used for the ring and not do any other changes. But we can have our own custom team create exactly the ring you want ....”. I didn’t even bother telling her that I knew she was wrong. Deja vu all over again ... :liar:

I won’t go with any bench to custom make anything for me when I have zero idea about their skill level, quality, ability/experience to create what I want, etc., especially when I am confident either of the two bench/estimates that I do have already are quite capable. But I’m curious what others would do in this case, or if anyone else has had a similar experience. I’m thinking it probably isn’t as common here because not as many PSers seem to leverage ‘local’ jewelers as much as they seem to use online/PS-known vendors. Does it seem kinda shady to you that local jewelers do this? Is it that they are just that ill-informed about the services provided by the brands they sell? Would you just sh!tcan the idea of G&Co altogether and go custom with a known bench, or consider reaching out to G&Co and advising them of what is going on?

What would you do?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't take a chance if they could not provide me with an accurate plan for the ring I wanted. Too much room for heartache there and there are other vendors that will happily work with your and your wants. This just presents as a big red flag to me!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MissGotRocks That is pretty much how I feel about it (setting myself up for disappointment going with an unknown bench, and I won’t do/risk that), but I wanted to at least give G&Co a chance since it is their ring/design. I also feel like I should contact G&Co about it because if this is the 3rd time it has happened to me alone with 3 different dealers, just imagine ... but I am not trying to be the ethics police either.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @SimoneDi :wavey: I am planning a trip to the local jeweler just to check out the G&Co-made settings first before I decide because I have only seen one in person, and while the quality seemed nice, I hope to see something closer to the style I have in mind now. *IF* I decide to go the G&Co route, I will definitely try IDJ out to see what they say about my plans.

I don’t see a whole lot of PSers going the G&Co route for settings, so I am curious what others think about their quality.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that was a beneficial fact-finding trip that probably saved me some heart & head ache, not to mention wasting money. The G&Co rings at the auth retailer I saw were all soooo thin & dainty with the itsy-bitsy, tiniest of melee in them ... not at all the look I want. :hand:

Looks like I’ll be definitely going the custom route, and I feel so much better about it knowing that the quality will be far better & in line with my expectations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results