shape
carat
color
clarity

“Yellow diamonds are inferior” what do you think of that statement?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
GIA,
Is X inferior to I ?

[or why use letters if you wish to rank]

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow diamonds! As Kenny always says, people vary!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
21 years back- when I created Diamonds by Lauren,. I started advertising U-V, W-X, and Y-Z diamonds as exactly what they were.
The vast majority of the sellers, at the time, submitted such stones to EGL and got Fancy Intense Yellow.
I like to put it this way:
If 1000 people are looking for a diamond today, about 995 want a "regular" white RBC.
Personally, I never liked being part of that 995....:)
But incorrect as it is, it's a common sentiment.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a lot of ways yellow diamonds have a peer pressure image problem.
In a lot of cases People like them until they hear people bad mouth them.
Browns have even more of the problem.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of lower coloured diamonds personally. I suspect it's because I'm very fair skinned, I look best in bright cool tones, and they simply do not suit me. But so long as it's a well cut diamond in a lovely setting, I can happily admire them in other people's rings and think of them as being champagne coloured or a fancy brown. Some of those here that have been set in rose gold or yellow gold (also colours that do not suit me) have been gorgeous. I do like fancy yellow diamonds - but to suit me they'd have to be a particular shade as yellow is not really a good colour for me. Same with gold south sea pearls. Love them, but can't wear them.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a fan of lower coloured diamonds personally. I suspect it's because I'm very fair skinned, I look best in bright cool tones, and they simply do not suit me. But so long as it's a well cut diamond in a lovely setting, I can happily admire them in other people's rings and think of them as being champagne coloured or a fancy brown. Some of those here that have been set in rose gold or yellow gold (also colours that do not suit me) have been gorgeous. I do like fancy yellow diamonds - but to suit me they'd have to be a particular shade as yellow is not really a good colour for me. Same with gold south sea pearls. Love them, but can't wear them.

I'm also very fair skinned and look best in dark colors, particularly black. Can't wear yellow clothing (I'm also a redhead), but my yellow/green diamonds aren't big enough, sadly, for me to say they don't look good on me.;)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with John that she has been indoctrinated to believe DEF are superior, but I think also she doesn’t like yellow colored diamonds, (although she did add because they are inferior).

I say awesome! Keep the prices low!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, as the owner of a fancy yellow I obviously don't agree. And for old cuts I actually like a bit of warmth. But even my own son, when I asked how he liked my ring said, "it looks like pee". Shaddup kid. :roll:

I always wanted a yellow diamond with a halo of white diamonds. Theres something about the color combination that speaks to me. 20170511_103145.jpg

Guess he isn't going to inherit the "pee ring" :lol:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am actually not sure if I prefer one over other (colorless/tinted/fancy) I think they are all unique in their own way. I do feel that my O/P diamond is undervalued but if we were to buy one today it would be a great price for replacement

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also very fair skinned and look best in dark colors, particularly black. Can't wear yellow clothing (I'm also a redhead), but my yellow/green diamonds aren't big enough, sadly, for me to say they don't look good on me.;)2

You know, I suspect they *do* look good on you. I think people instinctively know and are drawn to jewelry that looks good against their skin tone vs that which does not, even in something as small as a diamond. If they looked awful, I'm sure you wouldn't have bought them (or at least you probably would not find yourself reaching for them, even if you didn't know exactly why).

But I think the OP's family member was talking more about perceived quality/value than whether or not something is flattering, and I think we have the 4 C's education materials to thank for that. "Better" by convention is defined as more expensive - i.e., higher colour, higher clarity, better cut, and bigger - but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that this is in line with any one individual's personal preference.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just remembered something I find funny. She also loves inky dark nearly black sapphires because she believes that is how you can tell it’s a sapphire. I think hers look like onyx.

Oh I love her!! I’m not being catty. She is a relative but like a sister to me. It’s just interesting how people think.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first time I saw probably what was a O or P diamond, it was an antique diamond, and I recall the color being rather shocking, especially in a large stone. And I defitenily didn't want to buy one then. I was in my 20s or 30s and was thinking engagement ring, which should be a white diamond according to many people. Now that I'm older and better educated about "warmer" diamonds, I'd definitely wear a nice L / M / N or maybe even down to O-P as an e-ring, because I have grown to appreciate warmer diamonds. I even love the warmer colors in the modern H&A cut. L and M with their pale yellow are my particular favorites. I don't consider warmer colors inferior in any way. Just choose a setting in a color of metal that compliments the diamond's color.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely not inferior! Those canary yellows are just stunning... It's on the wishlist. I do think the brownish-yellows aren't as lovely but someone people like that colour range, so why not? As for end of alphabet yellows, I think they are beautiful. I have an M which is at best warm as opposed to yellow but I love it as much as my F.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never cared for yellow gold nor yellow diamonds. Not because of popularity but it's just never been my thing.

That said, in gold I prefer 14k to 18k as it's more pale and not as harsh. Just as I'd prefer faint yellow to intense yellow diamonds.

Oddly enough I really like canary yellow. And I've owned a Jeep in bright yellow as well. I think it's the orangish hue in "gold" colored yellows that I dislike.

2018-02-10 11.31.38.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If pricescopers know anything it's the sad truth that a lack of knowledge and education of diamonds is rampant.

I love my "fancy yellow" ring, my K e-ring, my I necklace, my H grandma's ring and my G earrings.
They all beautiful, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who think they are knowledgable who don't know that yellow IS a diamond or cannot tell the difference between the K and the I or the H and the Gs, even.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
If pricescopers know anything it's the sad truth that a lack of knowledge and education of diamonds is rampant.

I love my "fancy yellow" ring, my K e-ring, my I necklace, my H grandma's ring and my G earrings.
They all beautiful, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people who think they are knowledgable who don't know that yellow IS a diamond or cannot tell the difference between the K and the I or the H and the Gs, even.

That's so true. One of my coworkers didn't know colored diamond exist till she saw my green/yellow in the sun. Then she thought it was the most beautiful diamond she'd ever seen, lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No disrespect to @whitewave 's relative
If i just heard this comment out of context i would think old fashoned and traditionalist
I really like the Champaign and chocolate colours but it took some getting my head around it !

A younger relative just got engaged and they got a grey diamond - i had to think about that for a second although i know it will be beautiful

I uses to read a lot of Wilbur Smith

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That'd why im so glad i found you all

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Warm diamonds are my favorite! Q/R is my sweet spot. Mine is not a popular opinion and that’s fine with me! Keeps prices for warmer stones down.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone mentioned brown tint earlier. One of my favorite warmer diamonds has to be @lovedogs CBI with the brown tint. I think I fall in the minority category that prefers that over yellow tint.

Come on @lovedogs....post some diamond **** for us.....you know you want to!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone mentioned brown tint earlier. One of my favorite warmer diamonds has to be @lovedogs CBI with the brown tint. I think I fall in the minority category that prefers that over yellow tint.

Come on @lovedogs....post some diamond **** for us.....you know you want to!

i like the honey and coppery tints you find in some yellow and brown stones...so pretty.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh - and when a brown tint slides into that pinkish/salmon territory... But back to yellow. I'm not a fan of halos but I would have a canary yellow set in a halo any day over a DEF. That contrast you get is stunning...

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Yellows are diamonds - white ones are diamonds, pinks ones are diamonds. How attractive they are to you is a personal choice & judgement. But inferior is a pretty powerful word.

Are Dalmatians inferior to golden labs? Are ponies inferior to horses? Are some people inferior to others? Maybe some are more desirable to ‘you’ but not inferior - at least not to me.

Inferior implies an ideal, for the sake of it - and folks who hold arbitrary ideals are the sort I typically steer clear of.

Clearly, I think lower end, yellows are just fine! But I like mutts too!

6A708BBB-8539-43BF-893C-6A31823849CC.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellows are diamonds - white ones are diamonds, pinks ones are diamonds. How attractive they are to you is a personal choice & judgement. But inferior is a pretty powerful word.

Are Dalmatians inferior to golden labs? Are ponies inferior to horses? Are some people inferior to others? Maybe some are more desirable to ‘you’ but not inferior - at least not to me.

Inferior implies an ideal, for the sake of it - and folks who hold arbitrary ideals are the sort I typically steer clear of.

Clearly, I think lower end, yellows are just fine! But I like mutts too!

6A708BBB-8539-43BF-893C-6A31823849CC.jpeg

YUMMY! ❤️

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must fall in the minority category as well, because I like stones and the color of golden topaz, citrine particularly madeira citrine, so the brown, orange even pink/red tints or the mix of those I find attractive. I find many "brown" diamonds attractive. If I ever got a "big" diamond it would be in that color range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results