shape
carat
color
clarity

“Yellow diamonds are inferior” what do you think of that statement?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This person (a relative who I love— so I just said “they are an acquired taste for some”) said this and I thought it would be a good discussion topic for Rocky Talky.

She made a distinction between fancy yellow and end of alphabet yellow (which she called I color lol). She hates both lol and sees fancy yellow as “ugly” because they remind her of I color.

This conversation is nothing to me. She is certainly entitled to her opinion and so there is no drama or back and forth).

I’m curious what you all think about the statement.

Certainly many people agree with her.

Definitely trade puts more value on D color.

For those who like end of alphabet, there is a price break because of the above.

Anyone want to jump in?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely prefer fancy yellow (and other colors) and even the lower end of the alphabet over "white" personally. The more people consider them inferior the better, price wise. ;-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The best yellows can sell for more per ct than a D of the the same weight.

That yellow diamonds are not for everyone, is a true statement there are people who do not care for them.
The same can be said for D color or anything in between.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
It's not inferior if yellow is what you're after. Earlier in the week I saw my first ever loose diamonds and thanks to PS I correctly identified an I and an M. (Not bad for my first attempt. Both old cuts and both made my mouth water!).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
when we were ring shopping we both were most drawn to the light yellow / light green / light brown stones (m-z thru fancy)

different strokes for different folks!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as the owner of a fancy yellow I obviously don't agree. And for old cuts I actually like a bit of warmth. But even my own son, when I asked how he liked my ring said, "it looks like pee". Shaddup kid. :roll:

I always wanted a yellow diamond with a halo of white diamonds. Theres something about the color combination that speaks to me. 20170511_103145.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hey, some people like skinny jeans. Some people like wide-leg. Some people like boot cut. There's infinite variety - and plenty to go around - I like every color of Old Cut! And no colors of modern cuts! Ain't it grand?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as the owner of a fancy yellow I obviously don't agree. And for old cuts I actually like a bit of warmth. But even my own son, when I asked how he liked my ring said, "it looks like pee". Shaddup kid. :roll:

I always wanted a yellow diamond with a halo of white diamonds. Theres something about the color combination that speaks to me. 20170511_103145.jpg

Your ring is one of my favorite.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to like yellow diamonds. It started with us making an impulse purchase of a Fancy yellow cushion at Tiffany's (while on vacation, yes I know that I could have got a similar stone for half-price from a PS vendor).

But that led to Wink sourcing these fancy intense yellow diamonds for a bracelet and pendant for me. BTW the FIY bracelet made with .20s cost me twice the price as my other bracelet from him with .33s.

Sorry but your relative seems uneducated imo.

yellow-diamonds.jpg

sm outdoors overcast IMG_7690.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

When I was trying to learn about diamonds (before PS) a salesperson showed me a selection of maybe 10 diamonds going down in color. This store bought and sold jewelry, so a good portion was used. Frankly, the stones reminded me of nicotine stained teeth or fingers from heavy smokers, or tea stains. I did not like them and as much as people may say they like them, I always recall those diamonds she showed me. I do, howver like yellow diamonds and have several myself-- FLY, Fancy deep yellow, and a fancy yellow.. I have never seen an old cut in person. An old cut stone may look different to me . If the stone is cut well that also may look good to me.

aNNETTE

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But that led to Wink sourcing these fancy intense yellow diamonds for a bracelet and pendant for me. BTW the FIY bracelet made with .20s cost me twice the price as my other bracelet from him with .33s.

So sm outdoors overcast IMG_7690.jpg

I never tire of seeing this bracelet combination!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Your friend's comments are merely just because she is uneducated. We know that once you cross over into Fancy anything (pick your color) the values are great. To compare a Fancy Yellow with an I color diamond is ridiculous. And so true, if you go toward the "end of the alphabet" you can get a killer deal for the same look as a Fancy Light,, especially in a radiant cut. I was recently contemplating one, myself (still am, but just spent the money on my BGD recuts and reports and new mountings!).

headlight

Ideal_Rock

LOVE!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously some like em, others don't.

But I'll bet that (good bad right or wrong) it's a bell curve, with most people not preferring the end of the alphabet to colorless.

Inferior is a silly and unkind term though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

People say all sorts of nonsensical things. Pshaw to inferior.

Supporting evidence:

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to like yellow diamonds. It started with us making an impulse purchase of a Fancy yellow cushion at Tiffany's (while on vacation, yes I know that I could have got a similar stone for half-price from a PS vendor).

Sorry but your relative seems uneducated imo.

yellow-diamonds.jpg

sm outdoors overcast IMG_7690.jpg

I love that bracelet!!! I agree about my relative lol

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I like both lower colours and fancies. I wouldn't kick either out of bed if I was offered one :D they just need the right settings!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think yellow diamonds are gorgeous myself!!

L

lydial

I ❤️Love my K diamond, but when my mom first saw it she said “is that a yellow diamond?” Tint perception is relative. My mom isn’t a gem lover ironically but her engagement diamond was (gulp) a D Fl exactly 1 carat! But she chipped it and it was in her jewelry box when they had a burglary. We used to get it out and stare at it! But: after the theft it was never replaced. But she can see
mine isn’t that ice white 1960s rock. Ga! I wish she still had it!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I prefer end of alphabet. I like color but I like it softer. I only like strong colors in the flowers I grow. I also only wear neutral colored clothing as well so it could be a trying not to stand out thing? I don’t know. Colorless/ near colorless is nice too but IMO end of alphabet is more interesting. It’s a little more unique, at least from what I’ve seen.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more ppl that hate the end of the alphabet, the less expensive the stones are for the ppl like me who prefer them. So I say: let her hate away! I'll be happily hoarding all of my "inferior" sparklies :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each to their own, and take the relative to an auction preview that has fancy yellows listed in the programme.

DK :))

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know about fancy yellows but I bought an I, and had to return it as I kept getting glimpses of the color and didn’t like it. However, they do look good in that bracelet - because the yellow is sufficiently yellow to be "intentional" and contrasts well with the whiter diamonds. Each to their own!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My question would be "Inferior to what?"

I love that we all have specific tastes and preferences. Otherwise we would all be wearing the same bling and clothes etc. No thanks. I want to be me and not look like everyone else.

i-am-me-quote-6-picture-quote-1.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your friend's comments are merely just because she is uneducated.
I was going to say the same thing using the term indoctrinated.

Are yellow houses inferior? Yellow cars? Of course not. They're a matter of taste. Or a master-planned community. Mother nature master-planned diamonds a billion years before homo-sapiens existed. It took us another 200,000 to wipe away the drool and decide less colored diamonds will cost more. Oh. Unless they have lots of color. Those will be super expensive. #followthemoney

Maybe you should ask the diamond what it thinks about her. :cool2:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
My old and new rings ran the gamut of F all the way to brown colored stones. I love(d) them all equally. The one common denominator is cut. For me, cut is key. I would prefer a well cut M over a so-so cut D and vice versa. But I wouldn’t categorize a lower colored stone as “inferior.”
To each their own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results