shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some PS advice on ering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
I am emerging from lurkdom...to seek the advice of all you PS whiz kids.

I have found this site in January after Googling diamonds and found PS. What an amazing site with fabulous people who I have seen be helpful at every turn.

My boyfriend and I would like to get engaged however he has been having a bit of a rough time having been unable to find steady work after being on disability due to a back injury.

My dream diamond is an 2 ct asscher. My dream setting... I havent been able to make up my mind between the Cartier, the WF eternity and the asscher setting posted on the Nelson''s site with the side baguettes.

I know that a 2 ct is out of the question, even a 1 ct at the moment. What I was thinking was possibly getting the setting I want and using a square cut aquamarine for the center stone to save money now so we can get engaged with the idea that he would have some time to save for the center stone. If we got engaged now we would probably not get married until next Fall.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?
I think the budget is around 2K.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think an aquamarine would be lovely. You could probably get a fairly nice 2-3 carat aquamarine for around $500 or so, less if you want a paler stone.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, that would be very lovely. with a 2k budget you could get a very nice aquamarine ering and have some left over. Good luck!
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
just because its aquamarine doesn''t mean you should skimp....you may be wearing this e-ring longer than you think and you don''t want to always feel like you settled for less. get educated on what makes good aqua, develop your own ''eye'' for what you like and get a great stone. if you get your ''real'' e-ring sooner, you will have a great rhr.

movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ok.. What shape do you want for your aquamarine. Maybe you should choose your setting first and then firgure out what your final budget for your stone is going to be. I would be suprised if you are going to find an Aqua with the same dimensions as a 2 Carat Assher. So you are going to have to be sure that you are going to be able to change the head or be able to fit your diamond should you decide to do so down the road.

There are other things to consider. What type of blue Aqua do you like? So like th emore tealish color, others find the appeal in the faint blue almost colorless gem, while I personally want tosee more rich blue in a stone. These stones are going to run you in all ranges.

I agree with MZ. I would not skimp on my stone really. But I can understand finding a really nice setting first.

Have you thought of perhaps a simple setting and band set with a very nice gemstone. Then you can get entire kit and caboodle when you do get your stone?

I am attaching a picture of a 13000+ Aqua that I found on Awesome gems.. just for fun eye candy. (it is 20 carats..
28.gif
)

aquamarine2awesome.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
to follow up on Mine''s post: regardless if you prefer the more green or blue aquamarine, a gray cast to the stone is very undesireable.

color stone carat weight measures out different than diamond....don''t assume a 2 carat color stone will fit a 2 carat diamond mount. in most cases, a color stone will be larger than a diamond for the same carat weight. you can work with a vendor who can help you with this.

movie zombie

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mine! And MZ
1.gif

I definitely favor a medium blue stone and really would like a square step cut or octagonal. Someone posted a link to one www.lapilia.com/2aquamar.htm. Its the one listed as GCI-162. Any thoughts on it? I had my bf do a quick photo shop of it onto two of the three settings but I'm not sure how to post them.

I was wondering about the head size and will need to address that issue before I decide on a setting. That, in fact, my help make my decision.

I have done some reading on diamonds and the asscher cut but now that I am switching gears to a colored gem, any suggestions on where to read up on aquas and/or what vendors are good for purchasing stones?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
ACStones generally has some good info on gems. Here''s what she says about aquamarine. I''ve purchased an aquamarine from her before and have been pleased with what I received.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone... But perhaps more importantly, you have to see a colored gemstone. Photography on colored stones can be tricky. You definetly are going to have to get your hands on it and look at it and different lights. Besides, a colored stone should speak to you.. appeal to your senses, and what looks good on a computer, you may find... blah when you really see it. Be sure to check the return policy and make sure that you can return it if you do not like it.

ONce again, I think you should start with the setting since you want a specific style. I chose my stone first, but I have a general idea of what I wanted. Make sure that you are going to be able to accomadate an ash or can change the head. U know...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
again, to echo Mine, color stones MUST BE SEEN to be appreciated ....or rejected. try and see as many fine aquas as you can at upscale vendors and even department stores such as nordstroms and neiman marcus. pictures just are not accurate. the other factor you will be concerned with considering the cut you are considering is whether windowing will bother you and/or are their inclusions that are now visible that might not be in another cut. you are also looking for color throughout the stone, not just in zones.

richard wise is very very high end for color stones but if you want to see what a high end aqua looks like and read about grading of such a stone, see www.rwwise.com he has a 'tutorial' with the stones that is great education for those of us interested in what the high end evaluator is looking for and at in a particular stone. take that information and adjust it to your budget and shop around.

also, if you go through a vendor like wink [i think he does this], i think he would work with you re the particular setting you have in mind and find a stone to fit that setting. but you want to see any and all stones being considered before it is set! i cannot stress that enough.

the last thing you want is to have an aqua that looks like colored glass!

like Mine, i bought my stone first....and had absolutely no idea how i wanted it set. the color stone was first and foremost for me. personally, if i were you, i'd work with a vendor/jeweler re the setting and let them get stones in for me to review.

oh, and another high end vendor to check out to see what high end aquas look like: palagems.com
you can preview stones from pala by contacting your jeweler and having them sent to that person.
they also have a good read re basics for color gem shopping: http://palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm
i don't think the pictures do pala's aquas justice.

movie zombie

kissmyasscher

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for that info.

I have contacted WF and asked about switching out the head on their eternity setting. Seems I will need to replace the head when I switch stones as the aqua normally uses a basket head which this setting does not have. I need to weigh out what the actual cost will be when I do to see if that is really cost effective.

Has anyone had any experience with WF and colored gemstone? Bob indicated that they would be able to locate a stone for me. I know WF has a stellar reputation when it comes to diamondsjust wondered if anyone could post their experience with colored stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results