shape
carat
color
clarity

Fire Agate

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been enamored of fire agates recently. They are so fascinating!
This stone is pretty cool, the way it resembles a slice of orange or maybe the underside of a hot air balloon.
IMG_20190921_210133.jpg
IMG_20190921_210228.jpg
The back of the stone is also amazing.
IMG_20190921_210216.jpg

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lovely and mesmerizing!
Awesome talent!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lovely and mesmerizing!
Awesome talent!
Thank you! I am attracted to stones that "perform".
The iridescence changes in different light sources. Fun to look at!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fire agate is a fascinating gem. It looks like a bubbling cauldron of lava. They had some beautiful examples at the Smithsonian when I recently visited DC. Enjoy your ring! It’s really cool.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh! How'd I miss this! So beautiful!!!!
This piece looks so perfect!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! That’s a stone which invites the eyes to go on an exploration inside the micro world of the stone. The setting is fab too! .

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So in awe of your ring making ability :appl::appl::appl:
You are so talented!

How long does it take for you to make a ring?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher @PreRaphaelite @T L @Bluegemz @Gummybear @icy_jade @TheGarnetGirl
Thanks for all the nice comments. I just play around on my little bench, making silly trinkets to appease my gem addiction! So after all these years I have a lot of trinkets...........:lol:

@icy_jade, it might take me about 2-4 hours total work time to make a ring like this.
I took my time on this one, so it stretched out through the afternoon. It kind of depends on my mood.
@TheGarnetGirl, you need to hop on the silversmithing bandwagon with me. No need to send your stones out, you can bezel your own cabs!
@Bluegemz, I didn't want to cover up the back of the stone, because it is part of the intrigue for me. So I came up with this bridge-like solution.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher @PreRaphaelite @T L @Bluegemz @Gummybear @icy_jade @TheGarnetGirl
Thanks for all the nice comments. I just play around on my little bench, making silly trinkets to appease my gem addiction! So after all these years I have a lot of trinkets...........:lol:

@icy_jade, it might take me about 2-4 hours total work time to make a ring like this.
I took my time on this one, so it stretched out through the afternoon. It kind of depends on my mood.
@TheGarnetGirl, you need to hop on the silversmithing bandwagon with me. No need to send your stones out, you can bezel your own cabs!

Ahh I really really truly do! And I've planned to for so long but just keep putting it off like a lazy.
You might just be the catalyst!
Do you have a list of essentials needed to start cabbing my own rings?
Tools and silver that is absolutely necessary?
How much would it approx cost do you think?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl
When I first started this in 2004 or so, I think I spent about $400 on supplies.
Today, you might have to go a little higher. You may not believe this, but I still use a plumbers torch. From the hardware store. No one believes me when I tell them.
I am very lucky that we have several places here in Abq to walk into and buy jewelry making supplies.
But these places are also online, so you can order.
www.thunderbirdsupply.com and www.riogrande.com

You really need to find someone who will sit down and show you the basics. Looking at pictures in books will not cut it. I found a lady who kindly sat with me for 3 hours and explained and demonstrated the basics to me.
You might be able to teach yourself with Youtube videos. If you watch a bunch of them on basic soldering and cab setting techniques you may be able to get going.

This is all the stuff I use. It may differ greatly from a professional!
From the hardware store (or your garage):
*Plumbers torch(propane tank and nozzle), pliers, hammer, flat files and needle files
*Tin snips to cut the sterling sheet.
*Dremel tool with attachments and lots of buffing wheels

From the supply place:
*Sterling sheet comes in 6" wide rolls, and I buy 2'' cuts, which keeps me busy for a while. I buy 26 or 24 gauge.
*Round and half round wire is sold by the inch. I buy about 12" at a time in various shapes and thicknesses. 8 or 10 gauge is good for ring shanks. Of course if you mail order, then you may want to buy more.

*Brazing board to fire your piece on. The piece I use is 6"x 12"
*Liquid or paste flux
*Easy, medium and hard solder. This comes in wire and sheet form. I like the wire form.
*Granular dry acid compound 10 oz. bag (pickle) for cleaning surface oxidation after firing.
*Steel ring mandrel for forming ring shanks
*Wooden anvil to clamp to edge of work surface.
*Saw frame with "1/0" blades, and blade lubricant

I have a polishing motor in the garage with muslin buffing wheels. These items come from the supply place. This motor is the big expense, costing about $200 for a basic model.

I also have a Dremel tool kit with small buffing and filing attachments that work well on jewelry.
To go with the buffing tools, you need polishing compound.
*"Tripoli" compound is the first step, followed by "Zam", that gives the super high shine.

That's about it. There are many small details to understand, like about filing your connections well, and how much pressure you can exert without cracking a stone. But this will all come in time, trial and error.
I hope you can get started! It really is so satisfying to make your own jewelry.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another fire agate ring. I've had this stone for many years, finally decided to do something with it!

IMG_20220612_154317851.jpg

IMG_20220612_154232580~2.jpg

IMG_20220612_170745614_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220617_170907074.jpg

IMG_20220617_173505430.jpg

IMG_20220617_173637244.jpg

Here's another fire agate ring. I've had this stone for many years, finally decided to do something with it!

IMG_20220612_154317851.jpg

IMG_20220612_154232580~2.jpg

IMG_20220612_170745614_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220617_170907074.jpg

IMG_20220617_173505430.jpg

IMG_20220617_173637244.jpg

This is so stunning, stracci. I love how you don't spare any expensive when it comes to the thick, gleaming sterling band. The stone looks like a volcanic plume!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so stunning, stracci. I love how you don't spare any expensive when it comes to the thick, gleaming sterling band. The stone looks like a volcanic plume!!

Thanks! I'm really just messin' around.
My jeweler friend from Santo Domingo told me last week that I need to up my game on my ring shanks. I guess he thinks they are boring!

Thanks! I'm really just messin' around.
My jeweler friend from Santo Domingo told me last week that I need to up my game on my ring shanks. I guess he thinks they are boring!

How dare he! Well I love your shanks.
1841258xa5otnz5ax.gif
(Why does that sound vaguely inappropriate?)

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I once fell head over heels for a pendant made of fire agate and pink and orange sapphires in the shape of an orchid. It was amazing and I used to go and visit it every time I passed the shop. It was almost $4,000 which at the time was way out of my budget. Especially for something Which was way too OTT for daily wear. I still regret not buying it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once fell head over heels for a pendant made of fire agate and pink and orange sapphires in the shape of an orchid. It was amazing and I used to go and visit it every time I passed the shop. It was almost $4,000 which at the time was way out of my budget. Especially for something Which was way too OTT for daily wear. I still regret not buying it.

Isn't it funny how we have old jewelry regrets?
I still remember a certain sapphire and diamond ring from a shop window in the early 1980s.........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results