shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Ring purchase - no one to share this with

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. That is beautiful! The blue is perfect!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
@Paisley2628 It could be synthetic spinel or sapphire, possibly an early synthetic or a replacement. If natural, it is a prize - be it spinel (a rarity in such colour) or a fine sapphire. I can't quite guess the size.

Thank you so much for your reply. The stone measures 12 x 8. It was sold as a spinel - but actually didn't specify whether synthetic or not. So, very likely it is synthetic.
Since I have recently moved, I will need to find a new jeweler, and ask their opinion.
Thanks again!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Paisley2628 I would not have said anything if I did not give it some chance of being natural; it is sad when fine stones get lost through the cracks & they do ,(

I'd say that it is more likely for the blue to be a replacement - and if so the reconstruction of the setting should be noticeable; but, if I were its owner I would want to know. Early synthetics had mmore of a reputation not unlike lab diamonds today, but still, the make of the ring is reasonable doubt to me. (midnight rambling)

Last edited:

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
HI Everyone-
I brought the ring to a jeweler- They believe it is a synthetic spinel. I'm okay with that, as I purchased the ring for a very good price. It is a pretty ring with lots sparkle - I cant ask for more than that!

Thank you all for taking the time to look at the pictures of my ring - It was fun being able to share

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever it is, it is gorgeous! I love it. I hope you enjoy wearing it every day!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing your beauty, @Paisley2628...she's a BEAUTY! And those OECs are delish:love:

I sympathize with you completely on not having anyone to share your joy/passion/love for jewelry.
We're in the same boat...that's why I so appreciate the PS community.

Congrats on your latest acquisition! And yes, would love to see hand shots when you're ready.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very beautiful.
Don’t be disheartened by it being synthetic, back in the day synthetics were highly desirable and not cheap at all. They loved the pure tones and clarity and chose them over natural gems. I’ve seen plenty of very expensive Art Deco pieces, big diamonds set in platinum pieces that contain synthetic sapphire / Spinel.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
It’s very beautiful.
Don’t be disheartened by it being synthetic, back in the day synthetics were highly desirable and not cheap at all. They loved the pure tones and clarity and chose them over natural gems. I’ve seen plenty of very expensive Art Deco pieces, big diamonds set in platinum pieces that contain synthetic sapphire / Spinel.

I asked the seller of my ring if the spinel was synthetic - I let them know beforehand that I loved the ring, and was happy with it no matter what the stone was.
The seller is an appraiser of fine art, fine jewelry, antiques and collectibles. They said it tested as a natural spinel.

I am guessing that maybe a synthetic could test as a natural?

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh your ring is beautiful! The color of blue is swoon worthy! Wear it with much happiness :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful!!!!!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing! Be sure when the ring is resized to ask the jeweler if he/she can check the prongs on all the diamonds and to tighten if needed. Also be sure the jeweler uses the same color of 14k gold as some do not match the gold content..and be sure no seams when you receive it for inspection. Be sure to take a video/ pictures prior to getting resized Just in case something goes awry at the jewelers!

So lovely and be sure to post once it’s on your hand!
-C4C:whistle:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a synthetic sapphire or spinel. Synthetic man made spinels test the same as real spinels on things like Presidium gem testers. In the olden days good quality man made synthetic rubies and sapphires and spinels often sold for more than real gemstones because it was difficult to produce the man made material, and it was marketed as new technology to create them..... It is a beautiful ring, enjoy it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and fabulous color. Congratulations.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a synthetic sapphire or spinel. Synthetic man made spinels test the same as real spinels on things like Presidium gem testers. In the olden days good quality man made synthetic rubies and sapphires and spinels often sold for more than real gemstones because it was difficult to produce the man made material, and it was marketed as new technology to create them..... It is a beautiful ring, enjoy it.

Thank you for this information! When I searched online for similar looking rings, the color looks like what I have been seeing in synthetic sapphire. ( but I am a novice to gemstones- natural or synthetic)

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing! Be sure when the ring is resized to ask the jeweler if he/she can check the prongs on all the diamonds and to tighten if needed. Also be sure the jeweler uses the same color of 14k gold as some do not match the gold content..and be sure no seams when you receive it for inspection. Be sure to take a video/ pictures prior to getting resized Just in case something goes awry at the jewelers!

So lovely and be sure to post once it’s on your hand!
-C4C:whistle:

Thank you for the helpful advice- I will be sure to do that!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! The color of the center stone is gorgeous and I love the OEC halo!!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful colour :love: enjoy your ring :bigsmile:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I asked the seller of my ring if the spinel was synthetic - I let them know beforehand that I loved the ring, and was happy with it no matter what the stone was.
The seller is an appraiser of fine art, fine jewelry, antiques and collectibles. They said it tested as a natural spinel.

I am guessing that maybe a synthetic could test as a natural?

Thanks for sharing your beautiful ring. It doesn't matter if your stone is synthetic or natural as long as you have paid an appropriate price for it. Synthetic stones have exactly the same properties as their natural counterparts.

I recently took a ring given to me by a much older family member to a gemologist and jewellery valuer for identification. There are identifying characteristics of synthetic stones vs natural stones when they are examined under a microscope by someone who knows what to look for. If you really want to know whether it is synthetic or natural, you need to find a gemologist who does that sort of work.

Lovely ring to enjoy regardless of whether nature or people made the stone.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn't matter if your stone is synthetic or natural as long as you have paid an appropriate price for it. Synthetic stones have exactly the same properties as their natural counterparts.

Just for my curiosity, I took the ring to an estate jeweler. The owner gave his opinion on the ring. He said it is all original and dates to turn of the twentieth century. He believes that it is a synthetic spinel. He asked what I paid, and said that if he purchased at wholesale, it would have been three times what I spent- so, of course, I was happy to hear that.

I again want to thank everyone for their sweet comments and thoughtful advice!

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
It does not get more perfect than that ring! Congratulations!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow! So glad you have us to share this with. Just stunning!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely Fabulous, I love it!
Such a stunning colour, and Diamonds too, I love the whole ring.
Whatever the centre stone is, it’s an absolutely magnificent ring and as long as you didn’t pay over the odds- and it sounds like you didn’t-I think you’ve found a beauty, its stunning, just gorgeous!
Wear it a lot and thoroughly enjoy it...I think the majority of people (maybe not counting some PSers ) will presume it’s a glorious Sapphire. Wow!

It’s fabulous! Enjoy it!

Vivatwo

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for sharing, it’s beautiful. It reminds me a bit of the ruby halo ring in my avatar. Love the colour!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I just received this ring in the mail this morning and wanted to share with someone. None of my friends or family has any interest in jewelry (especially vintage jewelry). I hope you will enjoy the pictures!

IMG_5181.jpg

Wow!!!! That's stunning!!!!! You came to the right place, I love your blue Halo's beauty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results