carat
color
clarity

AV Elyque Setting Opinion....

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, you have been awesome!
Thank you for giving me the pleasure of chatting about Elyque ovals and your beautiful setting!! Please post photos as soon as you get your ring! We'll be needing many hand shots!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry you lost your little guy. We had 2 before these 2 and they both passed away at 16 and 17. I couldn’t live without Westie’s, so we bought 2 more.

Yeah, I had him from when I was 11 - it has kind of meant that I don't think I could get another Westie as he was this perfect perfect dog and I'm worried I would compare, which wouldn't be fair on a new dog. His personality was so amazing, he thought he was a much bigger dog than he was, he was so sturdy and loyal and wonderful. I would love another dog - but I think my heart wouldn't cope with another Westie. Although to be fair to myself I think I would probably be just fine...

Sorry for threadjacking your thread. :kiss2: I really love the wedding ring with your ring, go for it!

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Anyone interested in buying my Elyque and setting? See my Avatar
Let me know. Thanks

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
What happened???
I loved my Elyque but not the halo, I’m OCD about the spaces in between the diamonds.
So I want to sell the whole ring or at least the setting.
Thank you so much for asking.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m confused on this thread which one is your ring... can you post a photo?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry you don’t like it. Have you spoken to the person that made it? Perhaps you can have it remade with getting some credit applied to a new mounting.
I don’t think you’ve had it long... maybe you need to give it a little more time??
Personally, I think it’s gorgeous. It doesn’t look like the halos that we usually see. Quite honestly, to me it looks like an heirloom... it looks like a halo that will endure.
Can we see a photo of it on your finger?

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry you don’t like it. Have you spoken to the person that made it? Perhaps you can have it remade with getting some credit applied to a new mounting.
I don’t think you’ve had it long... maybe you need to give it a little more time??
Personally, I think it’s gorgeous. It doesn’t look like the halos that we usually see. Quite honestly, to me it looks like an heirloom... it looks like a halo that will endure.
Can we see a photo of it on your finger?

Jonathan made it at AV. I have asked him for it to be fixed but not sure it will happen and I really don’t want to be out of $3K for the setting. So I’m a little sour about it. Here is the pic of the ring on my finger.
32A4A60E-AD05-4C80-B5BB-577BA708CD9B.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunshine812 We’re you clerar/up front - when communicating your preferences/placing your order - that you didn’t want to see metal between the halo diamonds?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I know how it is to be disappointed with a custom piece. However, I do think it’s all the things I said and I think you should give it a chance. If he agrees to remake it, it may not cost another $3k... he may come up with a price that would be fair for both of you.
It looks great on your finger... it’s like the perfect amount of finger coverage, and the halo diamonds do not overpower the center stone whatsoever.
Why don’t you start another thread called “Please give me your opinion” and ask the others for their input. Also, in the event he will work with you to remake it, it would be good to get input from others here for you to consider on moving forward.
I just hate for you to throw in the towel.
Do you have a profile shot?
So you wanted smaller stones that are set more compactly together?

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I asked for my setting to be just like this one, it is his setting called My Halo.

3E335FEC-D62C-4502-A2E7-FBF3C9764B95.jpeg

This was the Render

57CE6629-DED4-4617-9DE4-88DCCB93947A.jpeg

No spaces in between the diamonds.

I hope he will work with me too and I won’t have to pay again.
I tried liking it, but I can’t get past the spaces.
I will start a thread, thanks for the suggestion.
I actually wanted it exactly like the 1st pic, chunkier diamonds.
Believe me, I don’t want to throw in the towel, I would just like for it to be fixed.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, the photo is clear and if this is his design then it seems pretty obvious that a mistake was made.
This is from Jonathan/Rhino? If so, he has an impeccable reputation and I feel he will make this right.
Since this was his mounting you specifically selected, and not a custom idea, it should be pretty blatant that he remake it at no charge to you.
If there is a nominal or reasonable contribution ($) on your end, I don’t think it would horrible.
Ultimately the goal is to get what you want, and even if you have to pay a little to get to that place it is way less a loss than selling for a fraction of what you paid and starting over.
I’ve had many, many pieces made over the years by different jewelers so I’ve had a wide range of experiences and it rarely had gone absolutely perfect. Sometimes I could live with something and sometimes It just had to be redone.
But you want to look down at your hand and feel happy, not angry or feel a pit in your stomach. So pursue the re-make and get what you want.
I think it’s pretty blatant from the photos that the piece you got, while beautiful, is not the agreed upon mounting.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it would be such a shame to lose this ring just because the setting isn't right. I agree it doesn't look like the rendering. I wonder if a large part of the problem is that it's coloured metal. The render almost looks like it is made from a white metal and everything about the setting blends with the diamonds. Your ring has an extremely rich and decadent colour but that does mean that every single prong is standing out and perhaps providing a bit of an additional illusion that the stones are split. However, I do think they could be closer together.

It's just the metal thing is also something to think about, even if he manages to tuck the stones closer together with that colour metal there may still be that illusion?

I would, regardless, definitely give him the opportunity to make it right. I've never heard a bad thing about him and I'm sure he would want you to be happy with your very special ring. You would definitely lose money selling it and you love the actual elyque. Hang in there. :geek2:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
It's such a stunning ring (and stone:love:) and your opinion is what is most important, as you are the wearer.
I'm sure it will all work out nicely=)2.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it would be such a shame to lose this ring just because the setting isn't right. I agree it doesn't look like the rendering. I wonder if a large part of the problem is that it's coloured metal. The render almost looks like it is made from a white metal and everything about the setting blends with the diamonds. Your ring has an extremely rich and decadent colour but that does mean that every single prong is standing out and perhaps providing a bit of an additional illusion that the stones are split. However, I do think they could be closer together.

This is my thought as well - the ‘white’ of the diamonds and spaces between them are much more visible with a non-white metal. Hard to gauge that in CAD when it doesn’t fully represent what is being made, in that regard. :doh:

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Well, the photo is clear and if this is his design then it seems pretty obvious that a mistake was made.
This is from Jonathan/Rhino? If so, he has an impeccable reputation and I feel he will make this right.
Since this was his mounting you specifically selected, and not a custom idea, it should be pretty blatant that he remake it at no charge to you.
If there is a nominal or reasonable contribution ($) on your end, I don’t think it would horrible.
Ultimately the goal is to get what you want, and even if you have to pay a little to get to that place it is way less a loss than selling for a fraction of what you paid and starting over.
I’ve had many, many pieces made over the years by different jewelers so I’ve had a wide range of experiences and it rarely had gone absolutely perfect. Sometimes I could live with something and sometimes It just had to be redone.
But you want to look down at your hand and feel happy, not angry or feel a pit in your stomach. So pursue the re-make and get what you want.
I think it’s pretty blatant from the photos that the piece you got, while beautiful, is not the agreed upon mounting.

Thank you so much for saying this, you are awesome!
I thought maybe it was me and I was seeing things different than anyone else. So you see the spaces too. If I chose RG and it wasn’t the right color, I should have been told that, but I was told it was perfect since my Elyque is a J., but I was also told the render was exactly what I requested, Rose Gold, size 2.0 diamonds in halo on a size 6 finger, so when I saw the render, I was really excited. I expressed my concern for the halo and diamond size, 2.0 vs 1.8 throughout the process, second guessing the sizes, and even after I received my ring I still questioned the spaces, but was told I was past the refund time for the Elyque and custom making is not refundable.
He says because he had to scale my setting down because the original setting from his site, his setting called My Halo, the WG setting, the Elyque in that setting was 2 cts. Ok, I get scaling it down, but I guess, since this is my first time ordering something on line, because I usually go to a store and try on and pick out and buy, but per him this is considered “custom” and per him and on his site, there are no refunds for custom made pieces.
I have asked him to have his manufactures who he says he has already paid, to have them re-do, and I’m waiting his response.
I just can’t live with it, although beautiful, it’s not what I wanted or requested and it does not look like the render. I’m even willing to for-go the halo and have a simpler setting done, a less expensive setting, just to make me happy. I want to look at my ring and feel blessed that 1. We can afford a natural diamond, and 2. my husband loves me very much.
So, I’m waiting now to hear back from him and to see what he says about his manufactures standing behind what they make and if there is a difference, they will make it right.
But if there are still spaces of any kind, due to my size of Elyque, then a halo is not for my Elyque.
So thank you so much for giving me piece of mind and providing me your experiences.
To be continued......

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
This is my thought as well - the ‘white’ of the diamonds and spaces between them are much more visible with a non-white metal. Hard to gauge that in CAD when it doesn’t fully represent what is being made, in that regard. :doh:

Thank you for your opinion, I sure appreciate it. Yes, if it would have been better to have the halo in WG or platinum, I should have been told, but since my color of Elyque is a J, the RG was an excellent choice.
The render showed that. It’s just the actual ring does not match the render. This is my first time experiencing ordering on line. Not sure if I’d do this again.
Thank you again for your thoughts.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
It's such a stunning ring (and stone:love:) and your opinion is what is most important, as you are the wearer.
I'm sure it will all work out nicely=)2.

Yes, although a stunning ring, you are absolutely correct, it’s me that is wearing it, and I want to be happy, it is important.
Thank you for your response and well wishes, I too hope it works out nicely.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t help but think it all went wrong when you agreed to go with the in stock diamond instead of a custom cut 2 ct. You loved his ring but when you start swapping out sizes and metal color everything changes visually of course. Aside from that I do think it looks beautiful on you and I hope you get it fixed or sold and find a setting that fits your vision.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry this has gone wrong for you. It’s a lovely ring but for that kind of halo I would look at David Klass. See if you can recoup some money from the diamonds or reuse them. But don’t lose your dream! My personal opinion is that with the size of diamonds you are using you will get more prominent gaps. If you want a more seamless but chunkier look i would consider using smaller melee and doing a double halo. I have an AV oval as well, here is a photo, DK made my ring. Not the style you want I appreciate but it’s finely done.
288C3D92-0391-44D7-B0E0-F6AF8960B89B.jpeg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there other vendors with this same policy on custom pieces? My only experience with custom pieces has been with DK and CVB.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry this has gone wrong for you. It’s a lovely ring but for that kind of halo I would look at David Klass. See if you can recoup some money from the diamonds or reuse them. But don’t lose your dream! My personal opinion is that with the size of diamonds you are using you will get more prominent gaps. If you want a more seamless but chunkier look i would consider using smaller melee and doing a double halo. I have an AV oval as well, here is a photo, DK made my ring. Not the style you want I appreciate but it’s finely done.
288C3D92-0391-44D7-B0E0-F6AF8960B89B.jpeg

WOW, what a beautiful ring, especially on your finger!! Finely done indeed! I will definitely take your recommendation, I have seen his name several times, and his work is impeccable from what Ive seen.
I didn’t know really what I wanted, that’s why I went to AV to take care of me, I hope he fixes this.
Thank you for your advice, picture of your ring, your recommendation, and your positivity.
Keep you updated.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I can’t help but think it all went wrong when you agreed to go with the in stock diamond instead of a custom cut 2 ct. You loved his ring but when you start swapping out sizes and metal color everything changes visually of course. Aside from that I do think it looks beautiful on you and I hope you get it fixed or sold and find a setting that fits your vision.

Yes I agree. I should have just had a 2ct cut but it was a bit more expensive. I’m my head I see that ring I loved and wanted, so when I look at my ring, it’s not like that at all. Guess I learned a BIG lesson. Thanks for the compliment and I hope too it gets fixed or refunded for something else.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree. I should have just had a 2ct cut but it was a bit more expensive. I’m my head I see that ring I loved and wanted, so when I look at my ring, it’s not like that at all. Guess I learned a BIG lesson. Thanks for the compliment and I hope too it gets fixed or refunded for something else.
I really don’t think not getting the 2ct has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you have seen this setting from AV? Even though it's another metal and smaller diamonds (in the halo), Screenshot_20190921-162504_Instagram.jpg the stones are set tighter with no visible metal in between.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW based on the photos in this thread I also think OP's rose-gold version matches up with the CAD image ... is it possible you have buyer's remorse OP?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results