shape
carat
color
clarity

Kite shape stones-- anyone have them?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Potentially found my "holy Grail" color of diamond (below), and I love the unusual antique kite shape! But I'm worried by the 2nd pic.

Is it going to look "dead" in the middle once set?

Would a "cup" underneath help?

Anyone have a stone this shape and could chime in?

407298-kite-light-si1-champagne-fd379.jpg 407298-kite-light-si1-champagne-270a4.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a super cool shape. And that color!! Does the vendor have any video of it moving? Seems like table glare possibly on the second pic. How would you set it? I bet it would took spectacular in rose gold.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a super cool shape. And that color!! Does the vendor have any video of it moving? Seems like table glare possibly on the second pic. How would you set it? I bet it would took spectacular in rose gold.
They do, but the angle is weird so I can't actually get a sense of it. I asked for more pics (on the hand or just set into an empty mount), which I should get next week. Fingers crossed!!!

Reactions: AV_

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I can't offer any help or advice, but I like it!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No help, but that second pic is perplexing!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty! It reminds me of a portrait diamond I saw on instagram. But that’s a big window. Maybe foil backing or a cup would turn it into a mirror? It would make a great pendant!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I can understand a window. The colour is great in my book too, & less brilliance does make it more obvious.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Potentially found my "holy Grail" color of diamond (below), and I love the unusual antique kite shape! But I'm worried by the 2nd pic.

Is it going to look "dead" in the middle once set?

Would a "cup" underneath help?

Anyone have a stone this shape and could chime in?

407298-kite-light-si1-champagne-fd379.jpg 407298-kite-light-si1-champagne-270a4.jpg

I don't own a kite shaped stone but I did own a pinkish brown diamond ring where the coloured diamond was set with a partially open rose gold cup underneath. I ended up selling it because the cup was a magnet for dirt and grime and even though I cleaned it regularly I found that I couldn't get it looking pristine without a lengthy rigmarole of cleaning solution, then ultrasonic then followed up with steaming. I ended up only wearing it occasionally because of the cleaning aggravation, and compared to my other rings with diamonds set without cups it was very high maintenance. And mine had a more brilliant style of faceting than your kite, which would probably disguise dirt a little better. So I worry that with that size of window it might bug you how easily it stops looking its best between cleans.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t ever have issues with my gold cup but I have 2 cleaning holes on the sides instead of the normal one at the very bottom. I would suggest the same since you want to disguise the windowing effect

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Is that a fancy light brownish-Yellow? I'd want to see it in person, the center could be too windowy.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone on ps had a kite shaped coppery brownish diamond ring....if i remember correctly she sold it. I can't find pics but maybe someone else remembers it. Maybe a jeweler can tell you if it's likely to close up with the setting, would definitely want a return option.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other potential options (with less good photos, unfortunately).

sb3621.jpg sb3935.jpg

I love the emerald asscher, but they face up SO DARN SMALL! ugh.

Also, this one is too yellow for me, but for anyone who likes unusual shapes I think it's amazing. Look at that cut!!!!
sb1359.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Asscher, asscher, asscher!

Also, are you specifically looking for fancy shapes? If you’re open to OECs, AV has a reaaalllly pretty M colour brown-leaning stone. It may well not be tinted enough for you but it looks stunning in some of the videos on YouTube. It’s 2 carat-ish from memory though, so may be too large.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher, asscher, asscher!

Also, are you specifically looking for fancy shapes? If you’re open to OECs, AV has a reaaalllly pretty M colour brown-leaning stone. It may well not be tinted enough for you but it looks stunning in some of the videos on YouTube. It’s 2 carat-ish from memory though, so may be too large.
Any shape. The color is most important, since I'm after something really specific. I'll check it out!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E6521364-F08C-43BF-953C-6894417CDA79.jpeg 67BA9436-9BC2-468A-BED2-8C788D3E4359.jpeg @lovedogs I had no idea anyone else aside from me is into those colors, or else I would have brought my brown/yellow-brown/brown-yellow collection to Carlsbad!!
oh my goddddddddd that collection is insane! Where did you find all of them??? The 4 on top of the first box of stones are glorious.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Those are from all over, but I got the biggest ones from ebay. First pic top row far left stone is actually GIA Y-Z, but it looks almost the same as the fancy brown mrb just below it. The biggest euro cut is a 2.46 (i think, somewhere around there) fancy yellow-brown, picture one, middle row, right stone. Middle row left stone pic one is a 1.43 fancy brown mrb. The colors you're looking at (UV/WX) would be closest to the second picture, bottom row, middle stone. The second pic bottom row far left stone is a GIA fancy light yellowish brown antique cushion.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are from all over, but I got the biggest ones from ebay. First pic top row far left stone is actually GIA Y-Z, but it looks almost the same as the fancy brown mrb just below it. The biggest euro cut is a 2.46 (i think, somewhere around there) fancy yellow-brown, picture one, middle row, right stone. Middle row left stone pic one is a 1.43 fancy brown mrb. The colors you're looking at (UV/WX) would be closest to the second picture, bottom row, middle stone. The second pic bottom row far left stone is a GIA fancy light yellowish brown antique cushion.
My favorite stones thus far have been GIA N-Z but with faint brown "modifiers". Some of the fancy browns work, but others are overpriced and look identical to the GIA lower colors with the modifyer. Maybe I need to give ebay another chance and just make sure to look for certified stones only.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My favorite stones thus far have been GIA N-Z but with faint brown "modifiers". Some of the fancy browns work, but others are overpriced and look identical to the GIA lower colors with the modifyer. Maybe I need to give ebay another chance and just make sure to look for certified stones only.
None of mine were graded when I bought them, so that's a risk. I sent a few in and didn't bother with others. Some were in awful rings that made them look green! find me on LT and email me. I'll send you links if I come across any.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Other potential options (with less good photos, unfortunately).

sb3621.jpg sb3935.jpg

I love the emerald asscher, but they face up SO DARN SMALL! ugh.

Also, this one is too yellow for me, but for anyone who likes unusual shapes I think it's amazing. Look at that cut!!!!
sb1359.jpg

That asscher is beautiful! :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty! but agreed it could be really light in person. is there anyway they can send you a video of it in natural light?
Unlikely since it's a drop shipper. I asked them to confirm it's actually light brown and they said "yes", but obviously everyone's different in terms of color sensitivity.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That doesn't look brown enough to me. My K faint brown marquise (the one in that box) has about that much color, and most of the time IRL it looks off-white. Browns in many lighting tend to go off-white instead of darker.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my kite....it's a beautiful and unique cut. I'm wondering also if your second pic is just glare. IMG_20170801_095003243-2.jpg IMG_20170801_100533.jpg
:kiss2: that chain is the stuff of dreams. It reminds me of the one @yennyfire has. One like that is on my "wish list" but they are hard to find. Gorgeous! And the kite is amazing as well! Wow!!!

@ForteKitty I agree, I think the pear is too light. Boo!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wahhhhh!! This is why I should never get my hopes up.... image.png 1569276881143_image.png

The color is amazing, but it's just going to be dead space in the middle. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
booooo that's disappointing!!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That asscher tho!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results