shape
carat
color
clarity

A tale of two stones: antique cushion or round? Plus setting questions

QuietStorm

Rough_Rock
Hello all :wavey: I believe this is my first post...long time lurker here. I could use your help.

My husband is looking to upgrade my 1 carat solitaire to a bigger stone. This would be a wedding anniversary/Christmas present. I cannot decide, so I wanted to get others' opinions on which stone to go with. They are both blue sapphires. One is a lighter-colored 1.5ct round, and the other is a 2.49ct antique cushion cut. The latter is much more valuable than the former. We do not live in an unsafe area, but . I have bought from this vendor before. I do not know if they are on the trusted CS vendor list, but I believe they are pretty good quality. I need to make a decision within the next few days at most.

As to the setting questions. I know that the round would be easier to find a stock setting for. The antique is just outside a typical stock setting (9.07mm x 6.82mm x 4.40mm). Would a basic custom head be all that much more than stock pricing? My current engagement ring head is attached in a vintage 8-prong crown setting.

Please help! TIA! I certainly don't mind providing pictures or more details.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your upgrade! What a fun project.

Do either sapphires come with a lab report? Also, can you post some videos and photos?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
There are so many knowledgeable people here and even the less experienced ones like to give their 2 cents on preferences and such. But photos are kinda mandatory for threads like this and the name of the vendor should be known so people can tell you what they think and if they had experience with them

QuietStorm

Rough_Rock
JPie, the antique cushion comes with a GIA report. The round does not.
Thank you for the tips, IcePhoenix.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this vendor retiring?
If he is- what’s his current return policy? And sometimes I don’t think his statements of ‘heat only’ means really heat only. May not matter to some- but it sure does change how one views fair pricing!
Kudos to showing the moodiness of the blues in the multiple photos though!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disclaimer: I am a colored gem novice! Hoping some resident CS prosumers here will chime in. =)2

It looks like one video was taken in an office and the other in shaded outdoor. What environment do you spend more time in, and which sapphire color do you like more under those conditions?

Personally, I find my eye drawn to the cushion cut more. I like the richer blue. How much per carat is the vendor asking, and what treatments does it have?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer the cushion sapphire over the round; the darker blue of the cushion also seems closer to the color of your current sapphire.

Adwar carries one stock setting for 9 x 7.8mm cushion, a three stone with bullet sides ( https://www.adwar.com/products/styles/27919L/view ), which likely would work for the antique cushion.

Stuller carries some stock settings for 9 x 7mm cushions; the 4-prong styles should work and some of the half-bezel styles may work for the sapphire cushion.
https://www.stuller.com/search/results/?query=9x7 mm Cushion Ring Mounting&page=1&facetValues[0].Second=cushion&facetValues[0].First=pim_primary_stone_shape&facetValues[1].First=pim_primary_stone_size&facetValues[1].Second=9x7mm

Otherwise most of Adwar and Stuller's cushion settings are for square cushions.

Depending on the actual setting and your jeweler's skill, a 9x7mm 4-prong Oval stock setting could potentially work for the stone.

Once you decide on stone and setting design, it may be worthwhile to email David Klass Jewelry for a quote; his rates are quite reasonable and then the ring would be custom made for the stone.

Last edited:

QuietStorm

Rough_Rock
Is this vendor retiring?
If he is- what’s his current return policy? And sometimes I don’t think his statements of ‘heat only’ means really heat only. May not matter to some- but it sure does change how one views fair pricing!
Kudos to showing the moodiness of the blues in the multiple photos though!

The vendor is not retiring. He is getting rid of old stock, hence the 30% off on some items. His return policy is as follows: "I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back within: 14 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 6 hours of purchase"

Here is the link to the certificate.

Here is the link to the 3rd party gemologist--GIA-trained and all. Their certifications and memberships are listed here.

QuietStorm

Rough_Rock
Disclaimer: I am a colored gem novice! Hoping some resident CS prosumers here will chime in. =)2

It looks like one video was taken in an office and the other in shaded outdoor. What environment do you spend more time in, and which sapphire color do you like more under those conditions?

Personally, I find my eye drawn to the cushion cut more. I like the richer blue. How much per carat is the vendor asking, and what treatments does it have?

I am also a CS novice! :)

I spend more of my time in an office setting. I prefer moodier colors. I currently have a tanzanite that is damaged...hence the replacement stone. I'm hoping to save as much of my original engagement ring as possible, hence the stock vs. custom setting question.

As far as treatments/price per carat, please see my reply to Rfisher. There is a link to the appraisal and gemologist there. The price per carat for the antique cushion appears to be ~$736/carat.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cushion is closer to a traditional blue. The round is lighter and more purple-y--I would call it a lovely periwinkle blue. The round seems to have some color zoning (around the edges where it looks a little lighter or almost colorless). The cushion has more presence and a more classical "blue sapphire" color, and for those reasons, I would go with the cushion. That being said, I recently purchased a lovely periwinkle blue 7mm round sapphire from MCG during their last sale that I love, specifically because I was looking for a periwinkle blue stone. It was a great price and I didn't want to pass it up, even though eventually I would love a blue sapphire that's closer to the trade ideal color range.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were spending that kind of money, I'd insist on a lab report verifying the treatment (or lack thereof). An appraisal is not enough IMHO.

I personally do not like the round, I think its too grey. the cushion is more prettier (IMHO, of course!)

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the cushion if the $ difference isn't a concern.

QuietStorm

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input!! After a number of discussions about it, we ended up choosing the antique cushion sapphire. I have never owned a stone this large, so it has been a bit of a nerve-wracking experience! I will be sure to share photos and/or video once we get the lab certification...and hand shots of the final product, of course!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice! Looking forward to seeing it set. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results