shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts about a diamond

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, is it easy to find an appraiser? Does it cost a lot of money? I have some well known jeweleries in my town but they are the same which i asked for a quote. I will be unconfortable to ask them after.
For the magnifier, honestly it is more curiosity/personal culture oriented. An appraiser will be more accurate than reading an engraved number. I have seen some articles about counterfeit GIA laser engravement (but i believe it is not so common moreover if they come from blue nile). I found the diamond technical field very exciting, i will be pleased to deep more in it (a passionated engineer will be curious for a lot of subjects). Showing these microscopic numbers to my girlfriend will be fun too (although i will have prefered our surnames or nicknames).
About insurance, it seems maybe to much for my little rock. Maybe when i will be able to purchase exceptional pieces (in some decades... :D) i will consider it. Am i wrong?

I wouldn’t worry about counterfeit engraving. If you’re happy with the diamond and the number on the diamond matches the certificate you’re all set.

As for insurance...my diamond is even smaller than the one you purchased and I ensure it through Jewelers Mutual. I had a five stone diamond wedding band that I lost in the house...never to be found again (I suspect the house cleaners found it). I felt so guilty that I wore a $200.00 band for five years. So when I bought my new ring and checked into insuring it I decided it was worth $70.00 a year. But if you have home owners insurance or renters insurance it may be covered under that policy in which case your receipts should be enough. I think an appraisal cost about $200 here.

mvoila

Rough_Rock
I wouldn’t worry about counterfeit engraving. If you’re happy with the diamond and the number on the diamond matches the certificate you’re all set.

As for insurance...my diamond is even smaller than the one you purchased and I ensure it through Jewelers Mutual. I had a five stone diamond wedding band that I lost in the house...never to be found again (I suspect the house cleaners found it). I felt so guilty that I wore a $200.00 band for five years. So when I bought my new ring and checked into insuring it I decided it was worth $70.00 a year. But if you have home owners insurance or renters insurance it may be covered under that policy in which case your receipts should be enough. I think an appraisal cost about $200 here.
I have verified, and you are right. My home insurance covers jeweleries (for 15000$).
Ok for the appraisal, certainly the given address in antwerp will do the job.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
About bakeries, you may have already tried the famous ones (they offer overall good quality but overpriced like in any product). Pierre Hermé, is maybe one of the most famous although he may no more bake something now).
You can try (if not already done) : Philipe conticini (very famous too) , Jean Paul Hévin (he sells chocolates too and they are tremendous but he sells great cakes too) and Arnaud Lahrer.
After that, you have Hugues Pouget whom is well known.
If you like baba au rhum (my preferred bakery) you have to go to Sthorer. They invented it.
If you need advice on chocolate, i have addresses too.

Congratulations on picking what looks to be a beautiful diamond. Please share photos when it arrives and your thoughts on how it compares to what you have seen locally.

And thank you for the bakery recommendations. Sthorer is one we have not tried and is close to where we are staying, so I look forward to it. Please share your recommendations for chocolate. Edwart is one we really like, but I always want to try new places. Merci

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on picking what looks to be a beautiful diamond. Please share photos when it arrives and your thoughts on how it compares to what you have seen locally.

And thank you for the bakery recommendations. Sthorer is one we have not tried and is close to where we are staying, so I look forward to it. Please share your recommendations for chocolate. Edwart is one we really like, but I always want to try new places. Merci

Great choice, don't have big expectations about service (as it is well known and in France) but they made good bakeries.

For chocolate, it is more personnal (dark vs milk, raw vs roasted). My favourite is Jean Paul Hévin. Patrick Roger is very famous but i was very unpleased with service and disappointed with taste. Really not worth the money.
One more shop in Levallois Perret (my old town) : Mon palais. 65 Rue Chaptal, 92300 Levallois-Perret. If you plan to go ask Pamela (she is the owner). They sell very good chocolate (not too sweet or bitter) for a reasonable price and they are reseller of raw chocolate Pacari brand. If you dont know pacari and raw chocolate, this a really must try. Don't expect to have a taste like traditional chocolate but it is very good to.

I have more addresses but in the suburbs of Paris, so it won't be a good option for you.
I may ask my girlfriend for additionnal adresses in Paris.

Last edited:

mvoila

Rough_Rock
So, here is the ring !
Engraved GIA number : almost checked ! There is the right GIA number plus "ASTOR" engraved (normal for an "ASTOR" line diamond) but "ASTOR" isn't mentioned in the GIA certificate. Is it ok? The certificate may have been issued before "ASTOR" engraving?
It was a HUGE challenge to read on the girdle... My 20$ triplet 30X may be an average cheap 10X... and my eyes are not so accurate.

Here are the pictures (sorry for the quality, it is my phone and light condition is horrible since i am hiding from my girlfriend, picture with DSLR coming next :love: )
20190919_000912.jpg 20190919_001018.jpg 20190919_001139.jpg

Seems to be good.
It is really shiny but it is not easy to show. Maybe a video will be better?
I want to ask you if there is tricks to have a picture with arrows in the diamond? I try to have it but didn't succeed.

To finish this message, i want to thank all of helping members. Your support is (and has been) so precious. You helped me a lot and you give me your time for a very important moment in my life.
I don't know how to thank you as you deserved it. :clap:

PS : Kaycee i didn't forgot you, addresses will be coming.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
So, here is the ring !
Engraved GIA number : almost checked ! There is the right GIA number plus "ASTOR" engraved (normal for an "ASTOR" line diamond) but "ASTOR" isn't mentioned in the GIA certificate. Is it ok? The certificate may have been issued before "ASTOR" engraving?

Should be fine as long as the number matches (I would check the inclusions as well to make sure). "ASTOR" came out in late 2017 to replace BN's signature line, so depending on when your diamond was graded, ASTOR may not have existed at the time.

If you want to spot the inscription easier, shine a light (I like to lean my cell flashlight against something) on the diamond while you rotate along the girdle.

Beautiful stone.

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
@mvoila It’s beautiful! I hope you’re both happy with it. Wishing you lots of joy together!

Diamonds are hard to photograph well but there is an article on here with lots of helpful tips. The best luck I’ve had photographing arrows is by taping the magnifier to my phones camera lens. There are apps that allow you to take macro photos that can be helpful too.

Post a hand shot or two after you propose and a video would be great too!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, here is the ring !
It was a HUGE challenge to read on the girdle... My 20$ triplet 30X may be an average cheap 10X... and my eyes are not so accurate.

Here are the pictures (sorry for the quality, it is my phone and light condition is horrible since i am hiding from my girlfriend, picture with DSLR coming next :love: )
20190919_000912.jpg 20190919_001018.jpg 20190919_001139.jpg

Seems to be good.
It is really shiny but it is not easy to show. Maybe a video will be better?
I want to ask you if there is tricks to have a picture with arrows in the diamond? I try to have it but didn't succeed.

To finish this message, i want to thank all of helping members. Your support is (and has been) so precious. You helped me a lot and you give me your time for a very important moment in my life.
I don't know how to thank you as you deserved it. :clap:

PS : Kaycee i didn't forgot you, addresses will be coming.

I think it looks lovely! I wish I could help with the photo taking, but my abilities are note so good either (probably doesn't help that I am working with an older model iPhone). There are some tips in this pic though:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/

Please update with more pics and hand shots after it's official. I am sure she will love it.

And thank you for the recommendations for Paris. Can't get there soon enough.

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Should be fine as long as the number matches (I would check the inclusions as well to make sure). "ASTOR" came out in late 2017 to replace BN's signature line, so depending on when your diamond was graded, ASTOR may not have existed at the time.

If you want to spot the inscription easier, shine a light (I like to lean my cell flashlight against something) on the diamond while you rotate along the girdle.

Beautiful stone.

The certificate was issued at Jun. 6,2019. Here is the report : https://www.gia.edu/UK-EN/report-check?reportno=5326997151&s=1568893740439

So the only explanation i can imagine is :
- They bought this diamond (maybe already GIA engraved),
- They qualified it as "ASTØR" for commercial purposes and then engraved it after (i have seen other ASTØR diamonds with GIA certiicates reporting only for engraved GIA number although Blue Nile states "each ASTOR diamond will be engraved 'ASTØR' on its gridle". What surprises me is that GIA certificate doesn't mention it. I wonder if it may cause problem about authenticity due to engravment mismatch between diamond and certificate. I emailed them for clarification.

About the light, this what i did with my cellphone integrated flashlight. Plus i have an integrated light in the triplet (LED or UV). But still hard to see. Maybe it is because i am supposed to wear glasses but i don't :) :) .

Last edited:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
My guess is they bought the diamond recently.

I don't think it's a big deal, but yes - based on their policy, it should be engraved and they owe you an answer. Definitely worth following up (you might even get partial compensation if you push hard enough)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at 10 diamonds labelled Astor Ideal on Blue Nile and none of the GIA reports showed the word Astor. I know that the AGS certificates do include branding such as ACA or High Performance Diamonds, but my AGS certificate does not include my diamonds designation as a James Allen True Hearts brand.

Curious about this myself so maybe I’ll start a thread.

Last edited:

mvoila

Rough_Rock
I just looked at 10 diamonds labelled Astor Ideal on Blue Nile and none of the GIA reports showed the word Astor. I know that the AGS certificates do include branding such as ACA or High Performance Diamonds, but my AGS certificate does not include my diamonds designation as a James Allen True Hearts brand.

Curios about this myself so maybe I’ll start a thread.

Moreover if you consider this one : https://www.bluenile.com/fr/diamond...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
With ASTOR mention on GIA certificate. Some have, Some haven't....weird.

Last edited:

mvoila

Rough_Rock
I think it looks lovely! I wish I could help with the photo taking, but my abilities are note so good either (probably doesn't help that I am working with an older model iPhone). There are some tips in this pic though:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/

Please update with more pics and hand shots after it's official. I am sure she will love it.

And thank you for the recommendations for Paris. Can't get there soon enough.

Can you connect today? I will have more addresses in some hours.
More pictures here. Done in a hurry (girlfriend will be back in minutes) :
IMG_6224-new.jpg IMG_6229-new.jpg IMG_6237-new.jpg IMG_6204.JPG

and a video (poor quality, sorry..) : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-hbb_gB4aTaEzZC8YbfNuCcl-CPZCAHV

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Yes for sure.
Another time PS saves me. One of the best choice i have done in my engagement ring quest was to contact this place.

Last edited:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Just curious where you landed on this with BN?

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Great pics and video! Lots of beautiful fire! The setting looks nice as well.

I am flying today but will connect when I am able. Thank you again.
Sorry for the delay. Hope it will be still usefull for you :
Screenshot_20190920-102808.jpg Screenshot_20190920-102646.jpg Screenshot_20190920-102658.jpg Screenshot_20190920-102706.jpg Screenshot_20190920-102743.jpg
It was difficult to ask girlfriend and explain why i needed bakeries addresses in Paris :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190920-102623.jpg
    Screenshot_20190920-102623.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 23

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Just curious where you landed on this with BN?
So I just have them on phone, 20 minutes sooner.
It is a little nightmare.
Ask them a first time but they understood that certificate has "ASTOR" statement and diamond hasn't on the girdle (althought I emailed them, called them and explained the opposite) but error happens.
The misunderstandings were clarified yesterday and BN tells me that they will ask their experts to clarify if it is a problem or not to have mismatch between girdle and statement in certificate. They have to call me back today.
Today, they call me back and states : "No problem with mismatch. Your diamond was engraved by GemEx (the second laboratory for brilliance grading) after GIA certificated it and engraved serial number." This is why certificate doesn't state "ASTOR". So chronology is more clear. But @Rockdiamond told us that it is not a suitable answer.
I tell them that I was informed that certificate and girdle mismatch isn't correct. I tell them it is stated by GIA representative. The support person tells me that they will contact their expert team again to have certitude about this information. But it seems that BN doesn't want to hear it...
They will call me again tomorrow.

I don't know how to move this situation forward. I believe I will have three options:
- Keep the ring and live with this (don't plan to sell this diamond)
- Keep the ring and issue at my expense a new certification (but diamond need to be unsettled I believe)
- Return the ring but I am happy with it and I don't know alternatives shops which ships in France and deals with administrative tasks (VAT, customs fees etc.).
I'm a little disappointed but stay positive for another answer tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi mviola,
(don't plan to sell this diamond)

This being the case, I'm going to add my personal perspective, and hopefully to good end.
If you love the stone, forget about this entire drama.
The only time this might matter is in the event of a sale.
If the sale is in the distant future, a buyer would probably want a new report anyway.
Speaking as a "regular guy" ( as opposed to a diamond dealer) it irks me when internet discussions that provide accurate meaningful information become a wedge to drive consumers crazy. In a perfect world, the diamond should bring only enjoyment to the recipient. Make your world perfect - you have the power:)

mvoila

Rough_Rock
Hi mviola,

This being the case, I'm going to add my personal perspective, and hopefully to good end.
If you love the stone, forget about this entire drama.
The only time this might matter is in the event of a sale.
If the sale is in the distant future, a buyer would probably want a new report anyway.
Speaking as a "regular guy" ( as opposed to a diamond dealer) it irks me when internet discussions that provide accurate meaningful information become a wedge to drive consumers crazy. In a perfect world, the diamond should bring only enjoyment to the recipient. Make your world perfect - you have the power:)

I totally reach your point since i didn't plan to sell it. It is not a huge concern for me (actually I was thinking to buy my ring in a regular shop which will have charged me much more and maybe without a certificate). And you're totally right. It is about giving enjoyment to my girlfriend, not doing the best financial investment. I don't want to be scammed but here is clearly not the case.

Anyway, here are the news from the seller.
The seller try to process the claim. The answer seems to me honest although he doesn't offer the solution I would like.

Obviously, they don't want to recertify the diamond. They propose a diamond exchange from this one (I actually have) : https://www.bluenile.com/fr/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD12688442
to this one : https://www.bluenile.com/fr/diamond-details/LD12684950 (has a perfect matching certificate)

The proposed one is a little bit bigger (but certainly not viewable), has faint fluorescence (the small one hasn't any), has a better color (E vs F).

As mentioned at the beginning it is not the worst issue for me.
So I need your advices. Which one is the best?
From my point of view, the one I already have seems to me slightly better on 360° view.

Thank you for your help, I have seen that branding thread is very interesting too.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I’d be inclined to take the little upgrade to a higher color and slight increase in size plus the peace of mind having the certificate match. IMHO

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Wow - the measurements and proportions on those two are literally almost exactly the same.

I don't see any material differences in the videos either... I would take the free upgrade and have piece of mind on the certificate. Glad it worked out for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results