shape
carat
color
clarity

10 yr old dog RIPPED out a toe nail....OUCH!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi: no cone of shame for you; you are a good furbaby parent. I'm glad he's doing "as well as can be expected" for such a traumatic event...

Our patient, Joseph, our one-year-old rescue big guy (in avatar), does not seem to be improving that much - the toenail did not come off (its like halfway off and the whole area around it has lost its good healthy coloring; in my mind, of course, they'll be amputating his leg due to the gangrene). He seems fine and isn't limping any more, but I will call the vet again first thing on Monday and hopefully take him in just to ease my mind. If the vet doesn't take action to remove the nail and give the area a good cleaning, I think I'll be the one needing the Vicodin...

Oh, and in our house, its called "the satellite dish." :lol: I'm sure they sit there scheming ways to get us to wear those cones...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Dear, poor Joseph! I wonder what is worse - waiting for the nail to come off or be ripped off, or knowing one WAS ripped out from the quick and hoping it grows back! If our 2 dogs could get together, they could argue who hurts the most!!!

Vicodin for dogs - that would be quite the loopy sight!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, Vicodin for me so I don't worry about the dogs! Where do you live in Canada? I would think your climate would be similar to the Northeast US, like New Hampshire and Vermont, or is it even colder in the Winter?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1336279216|3188467 said:
Where do you live in Canada? I would think your climate would be similar to the Northeast US, like New Hampshire and Vermont, or is it even colder in the Winter?

OMG, have never done that before - just got my threads mixed up and asked you a question from the gardening thread! Now who's on Vicodin?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1336279216|3188467 said:
Nah, Vicodin for me so I don't worry about the dogs!

I was just going to say- for dogs?! No, please give it to me. :saint:

If you get bashed up and end up in the emergency room here, sometimes they'll give you 20 Vicondins. Usually, they give you extra strength Ibuprofen. :rolleyes:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Your dog is so brave! Mine are not brave about it at all!

When either one of them breaks a nail, they suddenly become Jo-Jo, the three-legged dog. :D They don't rip it out, I mean just break it, or even bend it, near the quick. The Chin will hop around, and won't touch her paw to the grass, and the Papillon will just walk regularly, but three-legged. This can last for WEEKS!

That's okay, Mommy's right here . . . ;-)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander - they sound like teenage drama queens!!! :lol:

Our dog is on the mend! We still give him the 1/2 advil at meals and before bed so I think that eased him thru the first few days of this and tonight, we took him on our regular walk (fully prepared to turn around if he started to limp at all) but he did it! no limping, sniffing and sending "PEE mail" on every post and blade of grass he could find - letting his buds know he's back on top again!

Such a relief to see him walk and not favour his paw. I hope this continues and today wasn't just a random good day.

Flommy

Rough_Rock
I know this thread is old so I’m not sure anyone will see this, but Enerchi- I was just wondering how everything healed in the end for your pooch? My dog’s claw fell completely out 4 days ago, and I came across your post after doing a google search. We don’t know how it happened- we were on vacation and a friend was dog sitting for us. They just suddenly noticed his paw was bloody, and then found his whole claw on their kitchen floor. If you see this and can update with how he ended up healing, I’d appreciate it!

Reactions: AV_

Thirdroc

Rough_Rock
iLander - they sound like teenage drama queens!!! :lol:

Our dog is on the mend! We still give him the 1/2 advil at meals and before bed so I think that eased him thru the first few days of this and tonight, we took him on our regular walk (fully prepared to turn around if he started to limp at all) but he did it! no limping, sniffing and sending "PEE mail" on every post and blade of grass he could find - letting his buds know he's back on top again!

Such a relief to see him walk and not favour his paw. I hope this continues and today wasn't just a random good day.

I too just had this happen to my pooch! I am dreadfully worried about her. Enerchi, how did your doggy heal up? Did you do anything to keep it clean while the nail grew back?

Thirdroc

Rough_Rock
I know this thread is old so I’m not sure anyone will see this, but Enerchi- I was just wondering how everything healed in the end for your pooch? My dog’s claw fell completely out 4 days ago, and I came across your post after doing a google search. We don’t know how it happened- we were on vacation and a friend was dog sitting for us. They just suddenly noticed his paw was bloody, and then found his whole claw on their kitchen floor. If you see this and can update with how he ended up healing, I’d appreciate it!

Hi Flommy, how did your pup heal up? My girl just lost her entire nail and I've been soaking it in an Epsom salt bath of the last 2 days. I just want to make sure all went smoothly?

Reactions: AV_

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fwiw mine went through the same thing a few weeks ago, tripped and tore a nail off. Cleaned it and wrapped it and kept her walks short for a few days. The vet said to just keep an eye on it. If it's a clean break apparently it typically heals well. Good luck, poor puppy!

Thirdroc

Rough_Rock
Fwiw mine went through the same thing a few weeks ago, tripped and tore a nail off. Cleaned it and wrapped it and kept her walks short for a few days. The vet said to just keep an eye on it. If it's a clean break apparently it typically heals well. Good luck, poor puppy!

Thank you! The whole nail came out so no "break" necessarily. Lol. I'll continue to soak in Epsom salt bath and wrap it when I'm not with her. Thanks again! :oops2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results