Padparadscha journey

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I missed it but lab report?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inability to return would be a deal breaker for me. These stones are just SO hard to photograph, and the multi-tone gets lost in translation. If you were forced to buy and then weren't happy that would feel like 1700 wasted.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yep, Sri Lankan :)
Hmm, would you consider that to be an issue? Per the seller, it's 60% orange and 40% balance... there was a 5ct one w/a more ideal color, but the vendor was asking USD7000 per carat for that one o_O
Actually, I consider the USD7000 per carat for the 5 ct one a better deal than that 1 ct pad, assuming the 5 ct is the one you posted before on PS. Price per carat goes up exponentially, and not linearly.

I could fly over (just a 2 hr flight to HK for me), but I have work tomorrow...unfortunately :/

So here's the dilemma. The vendor-- who's at the HK Gem Show-- says she can bargain w/the seller tomorrow and see if she can talk the price down to USD1700. However, if this price is accepted, then she-- and by extension-- I-- have to buy it.

I do like it a lot, but there's also a Shanghai-based vendors who seems to have some really nice ones. But I also don't want to let this slip through. So now I can't decide lol.

Pad the other vendor is offering (indoor lighting; color reads as much more saturated on my phone than on the screen):

lisa.jpg
Does it have a cert? If I were you, I'd buy this first and then go see what other vendors have in Shanghai. But then, I typically buy multiple stones and wouldn't regret it if I buy more than one.

Actually, if that pad comes with a cert that states unheated and Sri Lankan and looks like the photos, I'm willing to purchase it from your vendor for USD1700 should you find a better one. I've purchased from her via Etsy before.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The inability to return would be a deal breaker for me. These stones are just SO hard to photograph, and the multi-tone gets lost in translation. If you were forced to buy and then weren't happy that would feel like 1700 wasted.

Yeah, leaning towards Shanghai seller. Just not very comfortable with having to commit now.

Actually, I consider the USD7000 per carat for the 5 ct one a better deal than that 1 ct pad, assuming the 5 ct is the one you posted before on PS. Price per carat goes up exponentially, and not linearly.

Does it have a cert? If I were you, I'd buy this first and then go see what other vendors have in Shanghai. But then, I typically buy multiple stones and wouldn't regret it if I buy more than one.

Actually, if that pad comes with a cert that states unheated and Sri Lankan and looks like the photos, I'm willing to purchase it from your vendor for USD1700 should you find a better one. I've purchased from her via Etsy before.

Currently uncerted...hence also my hesitation. Thought she said it was GRS certed, then I.asked and she said it isn't :x2

She did say I could get a full refunded if cert comes out and says that it's heated/non-Sri Lankan origin....but it's just a risk to me lol. Currently leaning towards seeing some pads in Shanghai for now; less commitment pressure.

Ooh what did you buy from her before? I purchased my sapphire w/her lol.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the price tag is low enough to be throw-away money, I think folks should walk away from a "final sale" of a colored gem they've not seen for themselves under various lighting conditions. Even if you had received photographs taken with time-consuming conscientious care so that the vendor is satisfied that the pics she/he has posted or sent come as close as possible to the stone's real life appearance, you have no idea whether your device's display or computer/laptop screen is color-calibrated in sync with their color calibration. Plus, our eyes don't all "register" color the same way -- and pads, like many colored gems, are not static in appearance, are apt to "shift".

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Unless the price tag is low enough to be throw-away money, I think folks should walk away from a "final sale" of a colored gem they've not seen for themselves under various lighting conditions. Even if you had received photographs taken with time-consuming conscientious care so that the vendor is satisfied that the pics she/he has posted or sent come as close as possible to the stone's real life appearance, you have no idea whether your device's display or computer/laptop screen is color-calibrated in sync with their color calibration. Plus, our eyes don't all "register" color the same way -- and pads, like many colored gems, are not static in appearance, are apt to "shift".

True! I think for now, I'd rather go w/some Shanghai vendors. Might arrange a weekend trip to Hong Kong as well just to see in person.

Another one I'm considering: https://www.awesomegems.com/cart/sapphire-padparadscha-g3585.html

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’m with the others. No cert no go since there is no way to return and the ‘pad’ designation on the cert is so important for pads.

I’ve taken chances on uncerted gems that cannot be returned from gem shows but then I see the gems in person, love it and the prices were too good to resist.

Can you go to the HK show in November or the Shanghai one?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I’m with the others. No cert no go since there is no way to return and the ‘pad’ designation on the cert is so important for pads.

I’ve taken chances on uncerted gems that cannot be returned from gem shows but then I see the gems in person, love it and the prices were too good to resist.

Can you go to the HK show in November or the Shanghai one?

Am going to the Shanghai one from Oct 10-13, unsure about hk in nov since I have a Singapore work trip. In the meantime, going to shop around Shanghai. Are you based sround China by chance?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Am going to the Shanghai one from Oct 10-13, unsure about hk in nov since I have a Singapore work trip. In the meantime, going to shop around Shanghai. Are you based sround China by chance?

In Singapore. There is another Shanghai show in Nov?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
In Singapore. There is another Shanghai show in Nov?

Maybe? I've only heard about the Oct one. Any reccs on gem hunting in Singapore? Or could we maybe link up in Nov?

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any idea about the specific vendors you would shop in shanghai? I am sitting in shanghai right at the moment and honestly things are about 30% more expensive here then in singapore (exact same shops just marked up a bit -- 100 SGD for a water bottle and some nappies this morning from the grocery store, 180 SGD for xiaolongbao from dintaifeng last night. Identical stuff to Singapore just with a shanghai expat tax attached.) I imagine if one knew where to go some items like jade may be a little easier to purchase but shopping is actually much better in general in SG). Can't beat the view though, there it definitely has the upper hand -- especially given current haze in SG. 20190918_061149.jpg

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Any idea about the specific vendors you would shop in shanghai? I am sitting in shanghai right at the moment and honestly things are about 30% more expensive here then in singapore (exact same shops just marked up a bit -- 100 SGD for a water bottle and some nappies this morning from the grocery store, 180 SGD for xiaolongbao from dintaifeng last night. Identical stuff to Singapore just with a shanghai expat tax attached.) I imagine if one knew where to go some items like jade may be a little easier to purchase but shopping is actually much better in general in SG). Can't beat the view though, there it definitely has the upper hand -- especially given current haze in SG. 20190918_061149.jpg

Oh cool! Where are you based in Shanghai? For gems, my experience is prices are lower. I usually shop either random shops or this mall on 南京东路; it has a section that's all gemstones/settings.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmm ok maybe ignore that post. I can see my internet is dropping half the stuff in this thread (finally realizing why this thread makes so little sense. As half the posts are missing from my perspective. So I am not going to be able to give any meaningful advice :wall:).

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm ok maybe ignore that post. I can see my internet is dropping half the stuff in this thread (finally realizing why this thread makes so little sense. As half the posts are missing from my perspective. So I am not going to be able to give any meaningful advice :wall:).

Noooo your perspective is very welcome; were you referring to general living costs in Shanghai lol? In any case, would still love to hear what you think

Two more options I just received today:
pad1.jpg
pad2.jpg
Sorry for the terrible quality, they're screenshots of vendor videos I've received. Top one is 2.06ct, unheated, going for RMB16,500 and the second one is RMB14,500 and 1.5ct. Thoughts? Both are Madagascar origin, could possibility be why the cost isn't bad.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Noooo your perspective is very welcome; were you referring to general living costs in Shanghai lol? In any case, would still love to hear what you think

Two more options I just received today:
pad1.jpg
pad2.jpg
Sorry for the terrible quality, they're screenshots of vendor videos I've received. Top one is 2.06ct, unheated, going for RMB16,500 and the second one is RMB14,500 and 1.5ct. Thoughts? Both are Madagascar origin, could possibility be why the cost isn't bad.

Sorry my internet just looks like it has been having a prima donna moment and I am snowed in with work (so I have just been :wall:, too busy to fix it).

I would have chosen to pass, the price isn't too bad if they have reputable lab reports but they are both windowed.

Thanks for the recommendations! I seem to remember the street name -- maybe I have been there before, either that or err I am remembering a past trip to nanjing!

I have to confess your post made me curious for the first time where I am, have been letting other people organize everything so all I knew was I was bouncing between the two exhibition centres. Turns out I am in the Kerry centre in jing'an. Yes everything looks so much like SG but marked up by a good margin, so I suppose I mean the cost of living. Where ever I go or whenever I sit down to eat I have 5 people descend on me from all directions so I can 100% understand but it is definitely coming at a premium.

I will add a vendor for you -- higems (never bought from them but I am sure lovesdogs will be able to relay her experiences). They may be away this week though.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry my internet just looks like it has been having a prima donna moment and I am snowed in with work (so I have just been :wall:, too busy to fix it).

I would have chosen to pass, the price isn't too bad if they have reputable lab reports but they are both windowed.

Thanks for the recommendations! I seem to remember the street name -- maybe I have been there before, either that or err I am remembering a past trip to nanjing!

I have to confess your post made me curious for the first time where I am, have been letting other people organize everything so all I knew was I was bouncing between the two exhibition centres. Turns out I am in the Kerry centre in jing'an. Yes everything looks so much like SG but marked up by a good margin, so I suppose I mean the cost of living. Where ever I go or whenever I sit down to eat I have 5 people descend on me from all directions so I can 100% understand but it is definitely coming at a premium.

I will add a vendor for you -- higems (never bought from them but I am sure lovesdogs will be able to relay her experiences). They may be away this week though.

Ohhhh, I actually follow HiGems on Instagram-- never bought from him/her, but their gems look nice! I think I just prefer working w/HK or Shanghai-based ones-- much easier to see & return gemstones (SF Express is a lifesaver).

Well, you're also staying in one of the big expat hubs here lol. Once you get away from Jingan/Xintiandi/East Nanjing Rd, prices are much more reasonable :D

I'm probably going to visit the gemstone mall I frequent this weekend to see the pad in person and also to check out some stunning unoiled emeralds. If you want to check out the mall, I always love meeting fellow gem enthusiasts :)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh, I actually follow HiGems on Instagram-- never bought from him/her, but their gems look nice! I think I just prefer working w/HK or Shanghai-based ones-- much easier to see & return gemstones (SF Express is a lifesaver).

Well, you're also staying in one of the big expat hubs here lol. Once you get away from Jingan/Xintiandi/East Nanjing Rd, prices are much more reasonable :D

I'm probably going to visit the gemstone mall I frequent this weekend to see the pad in person and also to check out some stunning unoiled emeralds. If you want to check out the mall, I always love meeting fellow gem enthusiasts :)

Awe thank you, but I have a stacked Saturday (work wise) and am flying out for SG on Sunday. I have yet to see anything other than 2 floors of the shopping centre, the exhibition centre and the hotel so I am sure my view is super skewed by biased sampling at the moment! I've been in shanghai before (in one of the other expat districts next to pudong and I didn't remember it being this expensive -- or so much of a fashion runway -- so I was rolling my eyes a little thinking something was off. Err prefer the other district. Actually I've spent a while over several trips in the other district, it was much more chilaxed -- this one feels a bit upty but that is probably just me.)

The last pad looks nice to me -- maybe it is just a better photo. And not too expensive. One thing to remember is that the different labs don't agree on what makes something a pad. So AGL (which is often considered a good reference point) is not necessarily going to give the same designation as GRS. I have a soft spot for GRS though -- as it is also what shows up in SG a lot.

I thought higems was in shanghai, whoops sorry my bad if I was wrong.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Awe thank you, but I have a stacked Saturday (work wise) and am flying out for SG on Sunday. I have yet to see anything other than 2 floors of the shopping centre, the exhibition centre and the hotel so I am sure my view is super skewed by biased sampling at the moment! I've been in shanghai before (in one of the other expat districts next to pudong and I didn't remember it being this expensive -- or so much of a fashion runway -- so I was rolling my eyes a little thinking something was off. Err prefer the other district. Actually I've spent a while over several trips in the other district, it was much more chilaxed -- this one feels a bit upty but that is probably just me.)

The last pad looks nice to me -- maybe it is just a better photo. And not too expensive. One thing to remember is that the different labs don't agree on what makes something a pad. So AGL (which is often considered a good reference point) is not necessarily going to give the same designation as GRS. I have a soft spot for GRS though -- as it is also what shows up in SG a lot.

I thought higems was in shanghai, whoops sorry my bad if I was wrong.

I think prices have gone up steadily over the years because it was def cheaper in the 90's...but then again, China's economy was very different back then.

True! I do like it, but feel like...the color's almost too saturated for my taste? Not sure if it's the lighting, but the pink/orange almost looks harsh instead of soft/romantic :/ But again, that could just be the lighting going on. I do like how it doesn't seem to have any extinction; that's promising!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Just to clarify....it's currently between the 1.56ct and the 2.01ct so far. By color, both look...about equal? I'd say? Still waiting on more pictures tomorrow that are taken in bright natural sun.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify....it's currently between the 1.56ct and the 2.01ct so far. By color, both look...about equal? I'd say? Still waiting on more pictures tomorrow that are taken in bright natural sun.
Hard to tell or compare with the pics, but I think I prefer the 1.56. the 2ct one looks dark and maybe brownish?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell or compare with the pics, but I think I prefer the 1.56. the 2ct one looks dark and maybe brownish?

That's my concern with the 2ct one! Also, even for Madagascar origin, rmb18800 seems a bit too low for a supposedly top grade color, unheated pad. I've actually requested someone I know who's attending the expo to check it out and send me some normal pics tomorrow.

Also waiting on natural and dim sunlight pictures for the 1.56ct one. It looks promising so far; color looks nice and it doesn't have a super distracting window!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That's my concern with the 2ct one! Also, even for Madagascar origin, rmb18800 seems a bit too low for a supposedly top grade color, unheated pad. I've actually requested someone I know who's attending the expo to check it out and send me some normal pics tomorrow.

Also waiting on natural and dim sunlight pictures for the 1.56ct one. It looks promising so far; color looks nice and it doesn't have a super distracting window!

Price is fine imo if the cert checks out.

What’s the size of the 1.56? I like the color but seem to see some inclusions.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Maybe? I've only heard about the Oct one. Any reccs on gem hunting in Singapore? Or could we maybe link up in Nov?

For colored gems I’ve recommended @qubitasaurus and @mellowyellowgirl to my regular jeweler located in Lucky Plaza. Name is Wriston and store is called Asiatique. (Fb) He doesn’t have a large selection but you ask him to look out for you if you have any preferences and he can ask his suppliers - presume your time window is small so will be luck dependent I think.

Can also try Shaliha Gems (fb - not updated but have address)

You can ask around and see if others have any recommendations.

Personally I also think worth just wandering around Lucky Plaza and Far East Plaza and have a look at the jewelry stores. Avoid the chain stores like Lee Hwa etc.

Just note that we only have local labs in Singapore and the one that is considered most reliable is Nanyang Lab. Many stores may also have GRS certs and I also see GIT from Thailand (also considered reliable). GIA cert for CS is rare. Typically if AIGS (or any not well known lab cert) I will insist to retest with my local lab to verify that it checks out. And Gubelin you only see for the really really expensive stuff hahah.

You only like CS? Or other stuff? Prob won’t rec jade since should be cheaper in China.

Last edited:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
For colored gems I’ve recommended @qubitasaurus and @mellowyellowgirl to my regular jeweler located in Lucky Plaza. Name is Wriston and store is called Asiatique. (Fb) He doesn’t have a large selection but you ask him to look out for you if you have any preferences and he can ask his suppliers - presume your time window is small so will be luck dependent I think.

Can also try Shaliha Gems (fb - not updated but have address)

You can ask around and see if others have any recommendations.

Personally I also think worth just wandering around Lucky Plaza and Far East Plaza and have a look at the jewelry stores. Avoid the chain stores like Lee Hwa etc.

Just note that we only have local labs in Singapore and the one that is considered most reliable is Nanyang Lab. Many stores may also have GRS certs and I also see GIT from Thailand (also considered reliable). GIA cert for CS is rare. Typically if AIGS (or any not well known lab cert) I will insist to retest with my local lab to verify that it checks out. And Gubelin you only see for the really really expensive stuff hahah.

You only like CS? Or other stuff? Prob won’t rec jade since should be cheaper in China.

Thank you for the reccs!I'm actually not in a rush, just excited lol. Will keep your store/area reccs in mind for Nov!

Hmm, for now, just interested in Padparadscha. Might look into spinels doen the road, bur not for now. I like jade, just picky about design lol

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ooh what did you buy from her before? I purchased my sapphire w/her lol.
I'm not active on Instagram (would spend too much if I did), so I picked this up when she listed on Etsy. Only spinel I own I can claim looks Jedi.
Screenshot_20190418-111704.png

First one looks definitely windowed. Pass. Second one, looks like with the way they're holding the stone they're hiding a window. Would definitely ask for more pictures if the color interests you.

This one has the nicest cut and is high saturation, plus the cert checks out. But on my computer monitor it looks a little brownish, so you can do a bit better.

Another one- sorry for the spam! Waiting on more pics in different lighting tho

1.56ct, unheated, Sri Lankan
Screenshot_2019-09-19-17-49-11-116_com.miui.video.jpg
This one looks the best to me. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope it checks out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results