shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC hunt begins, how to narrow choices? Need help with guidelines.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been silently following this thread but just have to say... was he looking forward to diamond shopping with you? Could he feel left out?

Oh, I don't think it's any kind of romantic notion! Last year I showed him a little 4mm oec I bought and he gushed about it ("there's just something about areal diamond" he said). He asked if I was sure about the moissanite, "don't you want a real diamond?". But I'm stubborn sometimes. I said no.
Fast forward a year, fresh off a sweet 25th anniversary trip... and I approached him. .. one of those, oddly uncomfortable, can we talk about something? conversations. But he understands >why, why I'm asking now, etc. He likes to take his time with big decisions so we are going over the particulars little bit by little bit... Hoping the "random guy" concern is just more of his processing...

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
And tonight, "Are you SURE there's no one in Dallas, or anywhere in Texas that sells antique diamonds?"
Followed by more in depth discussion of online diamond buying.
I've learned patience is key with this man of mine. ..;)2

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
And tonight, "Are you SURE there's no one in Dallas, or anywhere in Texas that sells antique diamonds?"
Followed by more in depth discussion of online diamond buying.
I've learned patience is key with this man of mine. ..;)2

What about doing this process through a local appraiser, where the stone comes through someone with a local expertise but who is not biased or affiliated with the seller? They can act as a middle-man for you and your husband. That might help your husband feel more secure with the online process.

Before suggesting this, if you go for it, find someone you would trust first and who is recommended by Pricescope. :geek2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Looking at this, GIA L, VS1. Slightly smaller, but higher color. 20190904_075420.jpg Asked for more photos. ( I would be remounting into bezel setting. )
Screenshot_20190904-073045.png

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was really trying to buy the 3.51 NSi1 from Alex. He was willing to split the pair since he had two buyers. But the other buyer backed out, so he's back to not wanting to split the pair. If you know of anyone interested in the GIA certed 3.61 NVS2 (the other stone) at a great price, send them this way!
20190911_175244.jpg

I thought searching for an OEC would be fun, but hasn't been so far!
If anyone reading this sees something promising, please post here!! I'm looking everywhere!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I can see they have a similar faceting pattern and colour so I understand why they are a matched pair but the size difference is really obvious to me (as in, I can't imagine them being a pair unless they were for something where you specifically required a graduation in size); I guess it highlights how difficult OEC finding is.

I'm sorry this is difficult and not fun. You're after something very specific so try and remember that actually you've done an amazing job so far finding what you have found. I hope someone will buy the other stone from Alex and also that he reaches out to you if that happens to see if you still then want your one. Would he consider advertising the other one separately whilst he knows you're still available to buy the one you want?

What about reaching out to other vendors? Didn't @missy go through Grace? Worth considering other options whilst you wait? Unfortunately I don't know enough about this world to give you more specific advice but I really wish you luck and there are lots of awesome people on here who can help!

:kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it highlights how difficult OEC finding is.

Just reading this thread now (just the most recent posts so far) and want to say yes. Finding the right OEC can be challenging. They are limited in quantity and lots of them have been recut so finding a beautiful OEC might be challenging but they exist and are out there. If you had tons of time and expertise you might even be able to find one yourself but it makes it so much easier (if you are wiling to pay the premium and I think it is worth it) to find a trusted vendor who can find the perfect OEC for you. You have to know what your preferences are though and to that end see as many OECs as you can preferably in person. That is the best way to know what you love and adore and what you don't care for in old cuts. Seeing is knowing and the more you see the better you know exactly what you want and what you won't settle for in an old cut.

I thought searching for an OEC would be fun, but hasn't been so far!

Aww I'm sorry it hasn't been much fun to this point. You shouldn't settle and you just need to keep on searching. Adam at OWD is a great source and a nice guy to boot. I would trust what he has to say about the diamonds and I am sure he would not be offended if you want him to send an EGL diamond to GIA. And if you pay via CC you are safe with the purchase but with Adam you have nothing to worry about. I like the idea of you and your dh traveling to NYC to see the diamonds at OWD in person. That is the *best* way to evaluate old cuts.

What about reaching out to other vendors? Didn't @missy go through Grace?

Hi Lykame, thanks for drawing my attention to this thread. I found my original and beautiful OEC through Adam and it was the easiest transaction and as I wrote above I trust him completely.

Unfortunately he didn't have anything I loved when I decided I wanted to go to a higher color. It goes that way sometimes and higher colors are more difficult to find in old cuts though Adam has the largest inventory of old cuts anywhere. He just didn't have the one I was looking for at the time I wanted to upgrade. While I was searching (and it was a 2 year search or so and I was patient that is key) I was at the Jewelery and Watch Antique show in NYC and at Grace's booth was the most exquisite OEC I had ever seen. It was love at first sight but as usual it takes me a long time even with love at first sight. Haha just ask Greg. :lol:

Long story short..well not so short took me almost 2 years haha to decide yes Bubbalah was the one but part of that was the cost and I wasn't ready mentally to pull the trigger but when I decided I was ready I sold Bea (now Bella) and bought Bubbalah. Once I knew I wanted Bubbalah the whole thing took weeks. It all worked out. As soon as I decided I was buying Bubbalah I found a buyer for Bea. Meant to Bea haha @Austina fell in love with Bea (now Bella) and Grace made the transaction easy. She took Bea and Bubbalah and sized them both and sent them to us and before we knew it both of us had our dream OECs.

So all this to say patience pays off and you can trust these diamond vendors. And tell your dh paying via CC or PayPal will protect you so there should be no concerns.

Try not to let the search stress you out. Remember this is not life or death and the journey should be fun. Don't succumb to pressure and if you are unsure do not purchase that diamond. Take a deep breath and take it easy and the right OEC will find its way to you or rather you will find the right OEC. As I wrote above I would reach out to Adam as he has the largest inventory and he is a great guy. Tell him exactly what you want and see what he has to show you. And better yet if you can visit him in person. He takes his time with his customers and shows them everything possible that might appeal to them and he is also a great teacher. It is IMO worth a visit to NYC if that is within the realm of possibility for you.

Good luck and please have fun with it. I know it is a big purchase but I hope it is a joyous one. :appl:

ETA: @CHRISTY-DANIELLE forgive me as I have not read the entire thread so I might be repeating things you already wrote about. Just responding to yours and Lykame's posts above. I will try keeping up with the thread now time permitting. Good luck!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Lykame I let myself get attached to the Alex stone, was already talking to my jeweler about a setting. So I am kinda sad he won't sell it. But I haven't given up, as I can't imagine there are many ready to drop 35k for earring studs! I like the idea of him advertising the other alone to see if he can sell.( They are 9.4 mm and 9.3mm, so not too different in size really. ) I thought I might wait a few days, and ask him about considering that. I have reached out to both Erica and Grace, but neither had what I'm looking for right now.
@missy so kind of you (as always!) Its not easy trying to shop online I'm finding. Adam was super responsive and helpful until I asked about GIA certing an EGL he was showing me. Then he stopped responding! Now it feels awkward trying to approach him again . I found 2 more of his stones I'm interested in, so might have to just try again. I guess ultimately I'll have to buy one so I can have it sent to me, but I'm holding off til I see one I really like (I was ready to do that with the Alex stone!) I don't want to start getting diamonds sent, returning them, shipping stress. .. unless I am pretty sure I like it. Wish I lived closer to NYC! I'll be in LA next month though, so might look there. You are right, though, slow and steady wins the race! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy so kind of you (as always!) Its not easy trying to shop online I'm finding. Adam was super responsive and helpful until I asked about GIA certing an EGL he was showing me. Then he stopped responding! Now it feels awkward trying to approach him again . I found 2 more of his stones I'm interested in, so might have to just try again. I guess ultimately I'll have to buy one so I can have it sent to me, but I'm holding off til I see one I really like (I was ready to do that with the Alex stone!) I don't want to start getting diamonds sent, returning them, shipping stress. .. unless I am pretty sure I like it. Wish I lived closer to NYC! I'll be in LA next month though, so might look there. You are right, though, slow and steady wins the race! :)

I am sure that Adam is not offended or mad at you for asking for a GIA cert. My guess is he is super busy. Call him. Don't be hesitant. This is a lot of money and a big purchase and you have nothing to feel guilty about or worry about bothering him. He isn't like that. I would pick up the phone and dial him (after 9:30 AM EST) and just tell him what is on your mind. He is very very nice and he's trustworthy too. I don't say that lightly. And don't despair or give up. Your dream OEC is out there!

While you are in LA I know there are great places to see old cut diamonds. I just don't know them personally. Is Singlestone out there? Grace is on the west coast too. You have to make appointments with some of these vendors so call ahead and see what you can schedule. See as many old cuts as you can. And remember Adam is very generous and willing to ship stones back and forth and for such a large purchase you shouldn't feel guilty because you only want to do this once and you want to do it right. One nice thing about getting them sent to your home is you have more time to evaluate each stone in different environments. Vs just seeing it that one time at the vendor location.

Hang in there and sending you OEC dust for finding your dream stone.:appl:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I really want to see a few in person, at home, etc. Unless one comes I just can't send back. (!) I guess the vendors are accustomed to this though.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is he asking for the other stone?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@soxfan @LisaRN he's asking 35k for the pair, I'm happy to do 17.5k for the 3.51Si1, so I would guess 17.5k
I'll email him back, (he just emailed me) tell him a couple people might be interested :razz:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is reasonable, but I would need to sell a few things to afford it- so not interested at this time. Sorry @CHRISTY-DANIELLE

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@missy reached out to Adam, he was very kind, explained he's been busy with a house move. Will be sending me some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

(But, I still want the Alex.... just something about it...)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy reached out to Adam, he was very kind, explained he's been busy with a house move. Will be sending me some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement!

(But, I still want the Alex.... just something about it...)

The Alex one is beautiful- faceting reminds me of an AVR and that price is really really good.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Trying to be patient. I just love the Alex stone, but having trouble getting him to let go, split the pair, sell individually. Relax. I keep telling myself. Relax. Offer on the table, and I am waiting...but dang!
Screenshot_20190916-211256.png

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Maybe offer more for the single stone, or hell, buy them both!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe offer more for the single stone, or hell, buy them both!

This crossed my mind as well. If you are completely in love with Alex's stone offer more. Even a bit more might be enough to sway him. And if you can afford both heck that's a great option too and you don't have to offer anything extra.

Trying to be patient. I just love the Alex stone, but having trouble getting him to let go, split the pair, sell individually. Relax. I keep telling myself. Relax. Offer on the table, and I am waiting...but dang!
Screenshot_20190916-211256.png

If you are truly in love with this stone and it is the "one" see if he would accept your offer if you up it a bit. Whatever is comfortable for you. Just a thought. For me, if I found my HG, and I knew it I would be willing. In fact that *is* just what I did. I bought Bubbalah over her original sale price. Grace asked for a bit more because she had to make it worth her while and entice the seller to part with it as well and long story short it was worth it to me.

Sometimes you just have to make it happen when it isn't going to happen as easily as you might like. Just a thought and we would all love to see you thrilled and happy with the OEC of your dreams.

Of course Alex might decide to sell it to you at the original price but the question is are you willing to take the chance? If so be patient and it might happen. If not then offer a little more and see if it sways his decision. Good luck @CHRISTY-DANIELLE .:appl:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have Adam pull a bunch that fit your criteria and the. I would take hubster in person to NY to see them. One of them you would end up finding to be “the one” and handshakes all around, no shipping back and forth. And I believe he has settings (original antiques) that might save you one extra trip somewhere. Good luck. This is exciting!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I've seen a few OWD stones, but nothing that excites me. I'm comparing everything else to this, and for me, so far, nothing else has even come close. I've seen this stone in different light, stills, video...I love it. Its like I'm in limbo, unable to keep looking really, cuz the one I want is RIGHT there! But waiting, not knowing is making me a little nuts!:lol-2:

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE , I can totally relate. Alex had a stone that I missed and when I inquired, he said he was getting a match for a repeat client. When the match came in, I ask again if they were sold. His response was he wasn't sure, but either way, he Wouldn't split the pair......so I'm back to square 1. Been looking for a nice decent size OEC (in my budget) since December :(. Was supposed to be an anniversary gift (July) so obviously that didn't happen. Hang in there....and hopefully you'll get the one you're hoping for! Good Luck!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Taylorbug! Very similiar scenario. And this was my big ticket 25th Anniversary item (August). I don't want to sit around for months, waiting and hoping. I'm too stressed about it!
Is he looking for a stone for you?

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
@Taylorbug! Very similiar scenario. And this was my big ticket 25th Anniversary item (August). I don't want to sit around for months, waiting and hoping. I'm too stressed about it!
Is he looking for a stone for you?

I doubt it. When I messaged him, he replied to watch his IG page and message him If I saw something I wanted. :(
My anniversary (July) was my 40th......so I really was hoping to get the OEC by then.....but, just didn't happen.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Well, just stuck my neck out as far as it will go.
If he says no, then I'm back to looking.
:cry2:

@Taylorbug! Have you emailed him rather than IG DM? I think he will look for you if he knows you are seriously looking.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I have only messaged through IG. Don't have his email address. Could you share it?
I did tell him what I was looking for and my budget. :(

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Parksfinegroupinc(at-gmail-dot-com)

Just remind him you've been in contact before, that you've been looking 9 months, tell him what you are looking for. He offered to look for me and show me stuff before he listed it, maybe he can do same for you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results