shape
carat
color
clarity

Smithsonian gems

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
They did film Hope outside the case or even outside of the exhibition hall, maybe that helped?

Did you ever find out what Mike got scammed on his 1st gem purchase?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They did film Hope outside the case or even outside of the exhibition hall, maybe that helped?

Did you ever find out what Mike got scammed on his 1st gem purchase?
He thought he was buying a green garnet, but it was a fake.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
A1311F40-F5AD-4D4D-B772-10F483D15447.jpeg I obviously could have stood all day in there, and the national art museum, but my family has absolutely no interest in gems and crystals, and my daughter loves art, but the men in my life rather watch sports or video games.:lol:

I’m so happy I got to see her though.

What is the name of this painting? I enjoyed all your pictures!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1311F40-F5AD-4D4D-B772-10F483D15447.jpeg I obviously could have stood all day in there, and the national art museum, but my family has absolutely no interest in gems and crystals, and my daughter loves art, but the men in my life rather watch sports or video games.:lol:

I’m so happy I got to see her though.
Did you happen to visit the National Portrait Gallery? That proved to be the favorite Smithsonian museum of many of the teens -- including the guys -- in the two youth groups I've shepherded through DC field trips.
https://npg.si.edu/home/national-portrait-gallery

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you happen to visit the National Portrait Gallery? That proved to be the favorite Smithsonian museum of many of the teens -- including the guys -- in the two youth groups I've shepherded through DC field trips.
https://npg.si.edu/home/national-portrait-gallery
No, it was a quick stay. I have to go back!! What a beautiful city DC is. So much to see! I will definitely add more, including the NPG, to my itinerary next time. Thank you!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it was a quick stay. I have to go back!! What a beautiful city DC is. So much to see! I will definitely add more, including the NPG, to my itinerary next time. Thank you!
And so much of what's to see is FREE! (at least for the time being; to date, Congress has resisted Trump's proposals calling for serious budget cuts to these national treasures).

Reactions: T L

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remembered this thread and was just there last week. A few highlights follow. The colors look pretty accurate to my eye. Shot in RAW with my f/2.8 40mm "pancake" lens that makes a big DSLR carry-able all day.

Spouse went to the pandemic exhibit, which I guess is kind of timely. But she circled back to meet us here in the Hall of Wants.

Pretty tourmaline. I love the razor-sharp color distinction in the upper right:

IMG_3451.jpg

Lovely Paraibas -- very vivid and very clean:

IMG_3452.jpg

Although not in the "premium" section (see the spotlit mood lighting downthread), the star at the top was the winner, imo -- near-royal color and "glass body" with great transparency. Very good but not perfect star -- but totally, totally amazing:

IMG_3453.jpg

One of my favorites, unexpectedly -- a dark vivid green cats-eye tourmaline:

IMG_3454.jpg

Grossular garnet color gradations:

IMG_3460.jpg

Pretty emeralds with plenty of blue (although this may undersell the green):

IMG_3461.jpg

Dinosaur-bone-turned-amethyst-geode:

IMG_3463.jpg

Mineral rainbow -- sloppy pic but hard to get an unobstructed view (I think I have taken this picture ~ once per decade for my whole life):

IMG_3464.jpg

World-class Colombian emeralds:

IMG_3467.jpg

858-ct gem-quality Colombian emerald:

IMG_3469.jpg

Phenomenal gems (ruby, sapphire, chrysoberyl, IIRC); better star on this sapphire but less transparency than the one above:

IMG_3470.jpg

Hope Diamond. As @T L says above, it is amazingly gray -- it was a struggle to perceive the blue:

IMG_3475.jpg

And, lastly, the wine of my country:

IMG_3446.jpg

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @LilAlex
Although I can't name all the minerals in the mineral rainbow, I did immediately recognize that the bangle under the rhodochrosite slice must have spinels; I have seen similar pieces around. Very, very attractive and can double as a weapon.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I can't name all the minerals in the mineral rainbow, I did immediately recognize that the bangle under the rhodochrosite slice must have spinels; I have seen similar pieces around. Very, very attractive and can double as a weapon.

Good call! (Or good memory!)

Here is the zoomed original -- replete with digital noise since I think I shot at ISO1600 (and underexposed by 2-3 stops since this lightweight lens does not image-stabilize and I need a quick shutter speed). (The text is easier to read without the noise reduction I applied later.) They had a bunch of these intact-crystal bracelets in Arms & Armaments :P2

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 7.30.32 PM.png

My favorite has always been the variscite at the top. I have no idea why. Even as a kid, I loved that color and pattern!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
E8BDD967-03F1-4C54-BBEE-4629B2F318DB.jpeg 86F2D535-0AB2-480F-90CC-2D34CD765659.jpeg 131F0092-D81C-4DE9-8063-B7960FE22F62.jpeg CE17BCA1-8D6A-4C9A-BADB-87795157631D.jpeg The Carmen Lucia 21 carat ruby ring was gorgeous.

I still can’t figure out the difference between a pink ruby and a pink sapphire!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, about the Carmen Lucia ruby -- how to did I forget to include that one?

EDIT: In this and all the others, at f/2.8, the depth-of-field is very shallow so only what I was focusing on when I took the pic is actually in focus (or close to it in this case) -- hence the blurry text on all the labels, etc.

IMG_3473.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @LilAlex, was the Lucia ruby as purple/pink in person as it appears in photos? Certainly, I'm not taking a swipe at it, because at 23ct., it is absolutely museum-worthy. :kiss2: But I just tend to be a general detractor of rubies that lean too far pink, which is why I don't love Burmese material as much as most do.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @LilAlex, was the Lucia ruby as purple/pink in person as it appears in photos? Certainly, I'm not taking a swipe at it, because at 23ct., it is absolutely museum-worthy. :kiss2: But I just tend to be a general detractor of rubies that lean too far pink, which is why I don't love Burmese material as much as most do.

I have no idea, but I did come across this set of pics of the ruby in different lighting. Cool light, warm light, and cool light with a black background. With the black background, its actually the least impressive and most pink, based on these photos. But it could just be the harsher angle.
ruby (2).jpg ruby (3).jpg ruby (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I did come across this set of pics of the ruby in different lighting. Cool light, warm light, and cool light with a black background. With the black background, its actually the least impressive and most pink, based on these photos. But it could just be the harsher angle.
ruby (2).jpg ruby (3).jpg ruby (1).jpg

Interesting... thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s definitely a hot hot pink red with a touch of purple. I don’t think there is such a thing as “pure red” at least to my eye. I always see a secondary of pink or orange. That’s me though.

It’s definitely a hot hot pink red with a touch of purple. I don’t think there is such a thing as “pure red” at least to my eye. I always see a secondary of pink or orange. That’s me though.

Yeah, I rarely see pure anything color-wise. But if that ruby is as pink in person as it appears in those photos, then, to me, it is not the ideal shade. I think that stone is museum-quality more so because of the size, clarity, and origin (and I believe it is strongly fluorescent). Just my opinion, but, again, I'm sensitive to rubies that lean too far pink. Some folks prefer it. I want to see RED first and foremost. That being said, I certainly wouldn't throw Lucia "out of bed." :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I rarely see pure anything color-wise. But if that ruby is as pink in person as it appears in those photos, then, to me, it is not the ideal shade. I think that stone is museum-quality more so because of the size, clarity, and origin (and I believe it is strongly fluorescent). Just my opinion, but, again, I'm sensitive to rubies that lean too far pink. Some folks prefer it. I want to see RED first and foremost. That being said, I certainly wouldn't throw Lucia "out of bed." :lol:

I think it is trade ideal color though, but beauty is subjective and we don’t have to like what the trade ideal is.

I think it is trade ideal color though, but beauty is subjective and we don’t have to like what the trade ideal is.

Agreed, but if "pigeon's blood" is the standard, than that stone falls short of it (IMO). Although, again, I'm just going by these photos. I may feel differently seeing it in person. But I think the sunrise ruby's color is much more on par with trade ideal color. I'd happily take either one though, if you want to plan a heist... :Up_to_something:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, but if "pigeon's blood" is the standard, than that stone falls short of it (IMO). Although, again, I'm just going by these photos. I may feel differently seeing it in person. But I think the sunrise ruby's color is much more on par with trade ideal color. I'd happily take either one though, if you want to plan a heist... :Up_to_something:

Most rubies that are deemed “pigeon blood,”
even by reputable labs, fall short of what the finest rubies look like.

I will say this though, there is absolutely no brown in that gem, and whatever hue it is considered, it looks vivid to my eye. You may see something however that I don’t.Maybe the lighting was different the day I saw it, vs when you saw it, or you may have a better eye for red. Who knows?????

Most rubies that are deemed “pigeon blood,”
even by reputable labs, fall short of what the finest rubies look like.

I will say this though, there is absolutely no brown in that gem, and whatever hue it is considered, it looks vivid to my eye. You may see something however that I don’t.Maybe the lighting was different the day I saw it, vs when you saw it, or you may have a better eye for red. Who knows?????

Oh sure, many stones considered pigeon's blood fail to truly earn the designation. But the stones that do would eclipse Lucia in terms of color. Again, just my opinion. No brown is a plus, vivid is another plus. But a purer red hue would be ideal in my book. I wonder if it is unheated? I couldn't find any literature on the topic, though, admittedly, I didn't search for very long. :sleep:

Look at this sucker cited by Lotus... :drool: That's about as red as you can get, I reckon. It comes from the below article, which you've probably seen before. I know I've read it about 10x. lol

pigeons-blood-ruby.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, that color is accurate. In my mind's eye now, and I know it looked right when I "chimped" it then and there. Plus, I color-balanced on the gray name-tag for every photo above except one (which looked ridiculous for some reason -- I think there was some other light hitting the display for that one photo). (The camera sensor is not perfect and is even less perfect at ISO1600 but all the photos are very accurate, color-wise.) Every ruby that I saw there looked like old-mine Mogok color -- pinkish or purplish red. I did not see a single stoplight red ruby. (There were not a ton, IIRC.) And don't get me started on the blood of various vertebrate species since those monikers get applied to the Mogok hue all the time.

In fact, most of the real prestige stones were not PS ideal in color and I presume it's because of size. All the finest emeralds were of similar hue -- vivid light-medium to medium-tone bluish-green but almost never a pure green and certainly not the duck's neck ideal. In a big stone, it would just go to black -- like a really saturated Pailin sapphire -- and that's why they can only be cut small. For a faceted stone, the light path is of course a function of size so the material for a huge stone must necessarily be intrinsically paler. The only top color sapphire that I recall was the amazing Star of Bombay, above.

For our tiny stones here, we can quibble over perfect color :cool2:

And don't get me started on the blood of various vertebrate species since those monikers get applied to the Mogok hue all the time.

For our tiny stones here, we can quibble over perfect color :cool2:

lol True and truer!!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ And another really cool thing there were the pallasite meteorites with the olivine (peridot) crystals. Some of the crystals were 10 or even 15mm across*! Although the color was olive-ish and they were obviously heated (:cool2:), it would be so cool to make a ring from a faceted space peridot. I am not a huge fan of meteorite watch dials or knife scales -- but this would be an amazing little secret. So then Wikipedia tells me that there are only 61 of these meteorites known so I had better get busy!

*EDIT: I am a good estimator :mrgreen2:. "It consists of centimetre-sized olivine crystals of peridot quality in an iron-nickel matrix."

I remember learning about pallasite peridot and space glass (moldavite) at the GIA. I guess extraterrestrial gems being green is quite fitting. :mrgreen: But your post got me wondering if they actually do make jewelry out of meteorite olivine. Of course, they do. Most definitely "heated" though, as you said!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I remember learning about pallasite peridot and space glass (moldavite) at the GIA. I guess extraterrestrial gems being green is quite fitting. :mrgreen: But your post got me wondering if they actually do make jewelry out of meteorite olivine. Of course, they do. Most definitely "heated" though, as you said!

Thegemtrader has some mouthwatering pallasitic peridots with very strong iridescent inclusions. I was considering this one, but my priorities lie elsewhere.

peridot.jpg

Would make an interesting pendant if paired with an inexpensive, attractive, small slice of pallasite such as this... Maybe a future project for me

olivine.png

Last edited:
Thegemtrader has some mouthwatering pallasitic peridots with very strong iridescent inclusions. I was considering this one, but my priorities lie elsewhere.

peridot.jpg

Would make an interesting pendant if paired with an inexpensive, attractive, small slice of pallasite such as this... Maybe a future project for me

olivine.png

Look at those needles!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thegemtrader has some mouthwatering pallasitic peridots with very strong iridescent inclusions.

How is that possible? The meteorites are so rare. I would need an origin report (really) but what would it even say? "Extraterrestrial"?

EDIT: Interesting GIA report describing unique "acicular" inclusions that are not found in "earth-mined" (hey, a real use for that term) peridot -- so I guess an origin report is possible, in theory...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results