shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So right after I post about round padparadschas.... I receive pics of two. Well, they might technically be more very round ovals, but these are the two:
mmexport1568626428108.jpg
mmexport1568626177132.jpg

and

mmexport1568625922358.png
mmexport1568625926817.jpg

is it just me,.or is the second one more of a peach than a pad? Is the first one too saturated to be a pad? Also, first one is only rmb10,1000 for an unheated, 1.52ct pad which seems....too good to be true?

PS-ers, please let me know what you guys think!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo! I'll answer here so I don't confuse you!

As you can see from the pics I posted, I am personally a fan of saturated pad colours.

That said it is purely my personal preference.

Many have said that a pad must be "pastel" to be a true bad but I like the super bright "faux pad" colour so I LOVE your top stone.

Does it have a window? Just check it for a window. Again I have a deathly hatred of windows so that's just me!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hallo! I'll answer here so I don't confuse you!

As you can see from the pics I posted, I am personally a fan of saturated pad colours.

That said it is purely my personal preference.

Many have said that a pad must be "pastel" to be a true bad but I like the super bright "faux pad" colour so I LOVE your top stone.

Does it have a window? Just check it for a window. Again I have a deathly hatred of windows so that's just me!

True! And who knows if it's as saturated irl....could actually be closer to pastel than bright. I think I just feel a bit suspicious? Does rmb10800 or rougly usd1500 feel a bit low for a 1.52ct unheated pad?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. I love both of them. I guess both have windows based on the photos. The price is good maybe because of the inclusions.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock
Looks like both have windows. Nice colors, but not my personal holy grail type of stones because of the windows. Considering the window, the price is definitely not too good to be true, but seems to be fairly appropriate. You might lose face-up size if you ask for a recut to close the window.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Origin also carries a premium for padparadchas. Sri Lankan stones are more valuable, and tend to be less brown or peachy than African or Madagascar material.

I don’t care for either. The first us too windowed and brownish pink, and the second is too peachy,

voce

Ideal_Rock
The color of the 5 ct unheated pad you found, now THAT is the color you should be going for if you're looking for a holy grail padparadscha.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
No. Prices go up fast with size.

Noted!

Origin also carries a premium for padparadchas. Sri Lankan stones are more valuable, and tend to be less brown or peachy than African or Madagascar material.

I don’t care for either. The first us too windowed and brownish pink, and the second is too peachy,

Hmm, I see. Yeah, I thought the second one was a bit peachy, but wasn't sure if that was because of the vendor's lighting or something :/

The color of the 5 ct unheated pad you found, now THAT is the color you should be going for if you're looking for a holy grail padparadscha.

Hopefully I can find a round (or round approaching oval) that will be that color! When the video popped up in my feed, I gasped...don't even want to think about the pricetag lol.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the 2nd one is too peachy for me to consider it a pad. The first one has a nice color (IMHO) but the window would drive me insane. It looks pretty big and will be noticible IRL.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the 2nd one is too peachy for me to consider it a pad. The first one has a nice color (IMHO) but the window would drive me insane. It looks pretty big and will be noticible IRL.

Hmmm...one thing I've.noticed about pads is how wonkily they're cut...more lopsided than blue sapphires imo.

Currently chatting w/the 5ct pad seller, will see if she has any similarly colored smaller ones in the 1-2ct range!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
The second one more than likely has a window too (hidden my the reflection). When you zoom in to the image on the report it certainly looks like a window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one has huge inclusions going across the crown.
Second looks too peach-y. It's also quite shallow.

I prefer the colour of the first but the inclusions are a deal breaker for me, which is why the price is so low.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you decide, do not overpay for material that is sourced outside of Sri Lanka. Some purists even refuse to recognize padparadcha if it’s outside Sri Lanka.

Don’t hang on to a marketing name either. For example if there’s an orange pink sapphire you love, but the labs refuse to recognize it as padparadcha, then don’t skip it on that account, but do pay a fair price. Dealers tend to charge more for the padparadcha designation.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
upload_2019-9-17_12-27-59.png
Another option...but it looks almost hot pink w/random flashes of orange? Not really a soft pink...and it's RMB28,800 for Madagascar origin pad :/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upload_2019-9-17_12-27-59.png
Another option...but it looks almost hot pink w/random flashes of orange? Not really a soft pink...and it's RMB28,800 for Madagascar origin pad :/
It has a huge window, and rather than a hot pink, I would call it a brownish pink. It’s a very dull color. I have spinels that color, much more affordable.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It has a huge window, and rather than a hot pink, I would call it a brownish pink. It’s a very dull color. I have spinels that color, much more affordable.

Hmm, would this be considered a less browny-pink then?

WeChat Image_20190917152018.jpg
upload_2019-9-17_15-22-22.png

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The windows really bother me. I would pass...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The windows really bother me. I would pass...

There seems to be an inverse relationship between cut quality & color...even very nice color ones seem to be windowed :cry2:

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
windows, windows, windows....l

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Windows seems more common on rarer stones because every bit of carat weight counts. The more they can retain of the rough material, the more they can charge, so cut quality is often sacrificed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, would this be considered a less browny-pink then?

WeChat Image_20190917152018.jpg
upload_2019-9-17_15-22-22.png
Never evaluate gems against a dark background. It always makes them look better. Still looks brownish (is it African?) and the window!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
They don't look that brown to me... If you like more pink options rather than the peachy ones it's better to buy a simple pink sapphire, maybe not overly saturated and save money

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@IcePhoenix I saw those earlier...but.idk, they look more peach? And a bit pastel for my tastes :/

@T L I'm trying to go for a color like the below:

mmexport1568631529708.jpg
IMG_20190917_224534.jpg
A mix of warm pink and orange. The second pic's 1.52ct would have been perfect, but it sold back in May :(

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm shocked that any of these (except the last one) were given the label of pad. The first one is way too peach, and the next two are super brown. IMHO, of course

I totally agree with you. Some of them remind me of my Dusty pink zircon which is a brownish pink but nowhere close to remotely being a pad.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results