shape
carat
color
clarity

Small Purchases that Make me Happy (:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today Im planning on making some earrings with sterling silver leverbacks but I'm curious if any of you recognize the material.

My mother was given these two necklaces that hold these reddish-orange beads that are neatly shaped together like fish scales.

We both think they're coral but I'm not that familiar with coral to say definitively. They've always been held together with straw, but the straw became brittle and they've broken apart.

Native American or African even?

15679628914036661225493415424481.jpg

@stracci2000 do you have any ideas? I feel like you might know out of everyone!
Really pretty! My guess is that they are African glass . This is solely based on my friend, jewelry designer Masha Archer’s work. She has used a lot of these beads in her creations.

voce

Ideal_Rock
A couple small purchases from a gem show. Some to set into something, some just to collect. Sphene, heated pink-orange sapphire, tanzanite, and two minty demantoids.

417AF203-B395-4935-A79A-CD524827E804.jpeg

These all actually look quite lovely together! We need @voce in here to come up with a way to combine them into one piece since she's been quite the designer for multiple gem-pieces lately!
I know you said some are to collect but I cannot help but be an enabler.
They would make a very neat asymmetrical cluster ring or pendant. Something about the color combo is just very cerebral, almost as if the piece would help a child test better in school.

Yes I know, I'm a strange one!
Okay, since I was tagged by @TheGarnetGirl to design something with these stones, I'll take a stab. I'm picturing a tropical fish made in a rich yellow gold, which is the color that I think goes well with all of these stones. Since @JackTrick is a gentleman, I can imagine this as a tie clip as well as a ring, not sure if you wear ties. :mrgreen2: IMG_20190909_132220262.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Okay, since I was tagged by @TheGarnetGirl to design something with these stones, I'll take a stab. I'm picturing a tropical fish made in a rich yellow gold, which is the color that I think goes well with all of these stones. Since @JackTrick is a gentleman, I can imagine this as a tie clip as well as a ring, not sure if you wear ties. :mrgreen2: IMG_20190909_132220262.jpg

Ugh I just love you! :kiss2:

That is just adorable and would be oh so neat!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god.

I don’t generally wear ties, but for this I’d make an exception.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread! I’ve got a few small things to add. I’ll follow with pics later, but I bought some apatite beads and a flat, apatite cab which I’m making a gold beaded bezel around. It’s taking a while though!

I also bought a likely lab grown citrine bangle, as in one carved bangle out of a chunk of citrine material. Also bought 2 stretch bracelets, one out of tiger’s eye and the other out of faceted citrine. I read that those stones will be good for the coming year of the Rat for the Tiger sign, (me). Im not a die hard believer, but just thought it was fun lol. I’m excited because I’ve never truly worn those colors before. I figured stretch bracelets is the way to go in case they look not so great on me.

@Garnetgirl your projects are great! And, to all those who posted, awesome things. the little projects and purchases really do make life fun:)

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s another small purchase that I really want but haven’t yet purchased. I’m drawn to grape chalcedony . These have a silky texture because of the fine, hair like crystals . Would make a super cool cuff or pendant.
D4051B28-051C-4350-BA74-67652749D5B7.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s another small purchase that I really want but haven’t yet purchased. I’m drawn to grape chalcedony . These have a silky texture because of the fine, hair like crystals . Would make a super cool cuff or pendant.
:love:
One for you
One for meeeeeee!

I don’t know if it’s technically Pika, but this and the rhodochrosite you just bought i’d have a hard time not tasting. I wish I were kidding.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today Im planning on making some earrings with sterling silver leverbacks but I'm curious if any of you recognize the material.

My mother was given these two necklaces that hold these reddish-orange beads that are neatly shaped together like fish scales.

We both think they're coral but I'm not that familiar with coral to say definitively. They've always been held together with straw, but the straw became brittle and they've broken apart.

Native American or African even?

15679628914036661225493415424481.jpg

@stracci2000 do you have any ideas? I feel like you might know out of everyone!
Sorry, I'm late to the party!
Yes, I agree with @Bluegemz, these look African trade beads. Probably opaque glass. Very interesting!
How did the earrings turn out?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:
One for you
One for meeeeeee!

I don’t know if it’s technically Pika, but this and the rhodochrosite you just bought i’d have a hard time not tasting. I wish I were kidding.
I know, right?!? I feel exactly the same way. And I’m taken by these natural crystal shapes!

Reactions: AV_

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So a little update!

Ive had the 1st CAD done for my peridot! :mrgreen2:
Its still in the works though and wont be done for a month or two as I'm focusing on my emerald ring project at the moment.
The ring is two-tone, with a scalloped bezel being white gold and the band will be yellow gold all in 14k.
icm_fullxfull.220698901_dizt262kyv40w0gcws4o.jpg

BUT I decided on buying two of these guys;

il_570xN.826556542_2u44.jpg
They are VS1 G 1.65mm rose cut diamonds.
One will each be set into the band and go on either side of the peridot cabochon. I think they will suit the ring beautifully!8-)

At first I was thinking of 2 of Yvonnes 1.3mm paraibas BUT when i imagined the ring I really wanted 2 stones but for the peridot to be the only splash of color. I had settled on two brilliant cut diamonds when EUREKA! and I thought of rose cuts; which will still provide some sparkle, let the peridot shine and still is cohesive with flat backed gemstones.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just posted these babies in what I'm wearing today thread!

Theyre holding me over until my skinny emerald ring is done!

Theyre handmade earrings with medium sized blue green Zambian emerald leaves!
They hang at the lovliest angle and are dainty but give off a big impact!

20190912_184054.jpg 20190912_184043.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great thread! I’ve got a few small things to add. I’ll follow with pics later, but I bought some apatite beads and a flat, apatite cab which I’m making a gold beaded bezel around. It’s taking a while though!

I also bought a likely lab grown citrine bangle, as in one carved bangle out of a chunk of citrine material. Also bought 2 stretch bracelets, one out of tiger’s eye and the other out of faceted citrine. I read that those stones will be good for the coming year of the Rat for the Tiger sign, (me). Im not a die hard believer, but just thought it was fun lol. I’m excited because I’ve never truly worn those colors before. I figured stretch bracelets is the way to go in case they look not so great on me.

@Garnetgirl your projects are great! And, to all those who posted, awesome things. the little projects and purchases really do make life fun:)
i can't wait for you to finish and post pics
id love to try on the citrine

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow
i love those
sorry excuse my great ignorance but i don't understand what they are
but i want some !

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a little update!

Ive had the 1st CAD done for my peridot! :mrgreen2:
Its still in the works though and wont be done for a month or two as I'm focusing on my emerald ring project at the moment.
The ring is two-tone, with a scalloped bezel being white gold and the band will be yellow gold all in 14k.
icm_fullxfull.220698901_dizt262kyv40w0gcws4o.jpg

BUT I decided on buying two of these guys;

il_570xN.826556542_2u44.jpg
They are VS1 G 1.65mm rose cut diamonds.
One will each be set into the band and go on either side of the peridot cabochon. I think they will suit the ring beautifully!8-)

At first I was thinking of 2 of Yvonnes 1.3mm paraibas BUT when i imagined the ring I really wanted 2 stones but for the peridot to be the only splash of color. I had settled on two brilliant cut diamonds when EUREKA! and I thought of rose cuts; which will still provide some sparkle, let the peridot shine and still is cohesive with flat backed gemstones.
This is going to be killer!!!!
I can't wait to see the finished ring!
Then you must put all your recent cab rings (all the green ones!) on one hand and give us a family photo! I see a green trend developing!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow
i love those
sorry excuse my great ignorance but i don't understand what they are
but i want some !
They are a unique kind of chalcedony, (agate) which forms in this way, botryoidal fashion !! aren't they gorgeous?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are a unique kind of chalcedony, (agate) which forms in this way, botryoidal fashion !! aren't they gorgeous?
they are gorgeous
i want to out them on my kitchen window sill so i can look at them all day while i deside what to do with them

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s not be fooled about rarity by the relative low prices, because these are a miracle of nature! And sooooo amazing! It boggles my mind, how do the atoms decide to form this way?!?

I think we all need some, if not for wearing, in our offices and homes!!!! Because, no fashion can compete with the coolness of these! Am I right?

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let’s not be fooled about rarity by the relative low prices, because these are a miracle of nature! And sooooo amazing! It boggles my mind, how do the atoms decide to form this way?!?

I think we all need some, if not for wearing, in our offices and homes!!!! Because, no fashion can compete with the coolness of these! Am I right?
I just love staring at and holding mineral specimens. I've been this way since I was a kid.
'Cause, who doesn't love rocks?
Now I need to go off to find me some grape chalcedony..............

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i have a peace of desert rose and some Kauri gum on my window sill but those grapes would knock their sox off !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love staring at and holding mineral specimens. I've been this way since I was a kid.
'Cause, who doesn't love rocks?
Now I need to go off to find me some grape chalcedony..............
yes
i totally get this !

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is going to be killer!!!!
I can't wait to see the finished ring!
Then you must put all your recent cab rings (all the green ones!) on one hand and give us a family photo! I see a green trend developing!

Thank you stracci girl!
Yes I have most definetely developed a love for anything greenish blue or bluish green and all shades of green gemstones!
My jewelry box is becoming more and more speckled with these colors.
Its fun when you find your niche/color!
I think emeralds will always rein supreme for me though as far as possessing the ultimate velvety bluish green hue- that hue that I found in my engagement emerald is my dream color! :mrgreen:

I'm trying to think of the pieces you have posted and I cant see a pattern- more like a melting pot of every shade! Do you personally love one the most?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you stracci girl!
Yes I have most definetely developed a love for anything greenish blue or bluish green and all shades of green gemstones!
My jewelry box is becoming more and more speckled with these colors.
Its fun when you find your niche/color!
I think emeralds will always rein supreme for me though as far as possessing the ultimate velvety bluish green hue- that hue that I found in my engagement emerald is my dream color! :mrgreen:

I'm trying to think of the pieces you have posted and I cant see a pattern- more like a melting pot of every shade! Do you personally love one the most?
I dont think I have a color trend going on in my collection.
I have always wanted at least one of everything! Sometimes a gem comes to my attention and I scour the internet for just the right one. Last year I went gaga over fire agate. Now I have 3, the last one is the best and a thrift store find.
My first love was sapphire. I have 2 handfuls of sapphire jewelry, but I'll probably never have a top color stone.($$$$:cry2:)
Recently I found a (pawn shop) ruby and diamond bee pin, so this set off a fuss over rubies! So I dug out the rubies and have been wearing them lately.
And just yesterday I resurrected my nephrite jade bead strand, so I'm all about nephrite the last 2 days.
I'm such a weirdo.:lol-2::P2:confused2:

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Lately I've been on a dangle earring DIY binge!

I saw these unconventional 12mm fluorite hearts and had to order two along with 18k eye hooks so that I could slide them onto my small gold hoops.
I also requested that deep sapphire blue color or a darker teal so it's exciting not knowing exactly which two I'll get. :))
il_570xN.1726055776_9goh.jpg il_570xN.1627712336_7drq.jpg

Then, I was incredibly inspired by @Bluegemz buy recently of her Glowy rhodochrosite ice cube that I had to set out to find some material of my own which these drops at 9.5x12mm completely satisfy.
I plan on buying an adorable pair of decorative 18k yellow gold flower ear hooks to set them in.
il_570xN.1922441173_px97.jpg il_570xN.1874923426_bmao.jpg il_570xN.1982668818_6vk4.jpg

I will have to post photos once they arrive and I finish creating dangles out of them.
:D

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

I saw these unconventional 12mm fluorite hearts and had to order two along with 18k eye hooks so that I could slide them onto my small gold hoops.
I also requested that deep sapphire blue color or a darker teal so it's exciting not knowing exactly which two I'll get. :))

Then, I was incredibly inspired by @Bluegemz buy recently of her Glowy rhodochrosite ice cube that I had to set out to find some material of my own which these drops at 9.5x12mm completely satisfy.
I plan on buying an adorable pair of decorative 18k yellow gold flower ear hooks to set them in.
il_570xN.1922441173_px97.jpg il_570xN.1874923426_bmao.jpg il_570xN.1982668818_6vk4.jpg

I will have to post photos once they arrive and I finish creating dangles out of them.

Can you tell me where you get the gold findings? =)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Can you tell me where you get the gold findings? =)2

"FindRare" on Etsy without the quotes of course.

Shes incredibly sweet and IMO has wonderful inventory for making dangle earrings! Enjoy!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i Love those rhodo beads!! And those hearts are adorable! Can’t wait to see how these projects come into fruition!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my rhodo cube! I can’t believe how much I love it. First, the color is amazing. It is vibrant, glowy, intense yet it has such delicacy and softness to it.
The whole thing has a kind of sheen. I’m super excited...drawing up setting options ( yellow gold definitely). It’s also silky smooth to hold, and has s lovely weight.
I took these pics early this morning, so pics aren’t the best, and they upload with lost color intensity, but here she is!!
7915FE02-13ED-433B-9474-BCCC65ECCF77.jpeg
FBD44CAD-8CC4-4B84-BC02-705EFDE0B386.jpeg
View attachment 712882
4BC58E51-A35B-4AD4-A075-7A85B9BABF1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results