shape
carat
color
clarity

Starsgem Lab Diamond - Too Good to be True?

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I hope it's okay to post this here, but SG is advertising a "September Special". It's a lab diamond, (not moissanite), on the Alibaba website and the price is SO low I thought I'd ask people who know a lot more than I if it's for real?

It's advertised as 1.2 carats, D Color, VS Clarity, and Certified IGI Certificate. It does say "CVD" which I've read is not great, but is that a deal breaker for $2K? It measures 7mm.

I was just a bit surprised at the low cost. I've found one recommended vendor I like a lot, and their comparable lab diamond would be around $7,500.

Thanks in advance and if this belongs on a different thread, my apologies.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
No video or certificate, just the description on the Alibaba website that says there is an IGI certificate for the stone. I came up with the $7,500 by using another US vendor's "lab diamond" search on their website, so yes, it's high, but $3,500 vs. $2,000 is still a big difference!

Thanks for the response--I'll wait and see what SG says, as I messaged a rep, and I know lab diamonds are not good as investments, but if I'm using it in a personal piece of jewelry, (I'm thinking of having a US jeweler mount it for me), I'm not concerned about having a mined diamond.

Thanks again for the link too to BE, if the SG stone is what they say it is, it seems like a pretty good deal.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a custom semi-mount ring from Starsgem for my YAG from Gene. These are 1.8mm round lab diamonds with 2 pear moissanites. The lab diamonds are beautiful, whiter and even sparklier than my mined diamond band (on the left).

FYI When I spoke with Jamie in July, they only had round diamonds, 0.003ct-3.5ct in stock, DEF color, VS clarity.

Hope this helps!
IMG_5674.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 140

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what "YAG" stands for, but yes, that is a stunning ring and VERY helpful info. I've purchased moissanites from SG and I'm SO happy with those stones (and cost), but I haven't ventured into lab diamonds. I have been lucky to find a really good US jeweler that matched the cost of SG lab diamonds on 4mm stones, (that's for a station necklace), but I never considered buying a 1.2 carat lab diamond D / VS until I saw the price of $2,000.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Lab diamond prices are all over the place aren’t they? But I would say that’s a great price. It may be poorly cut however. Do you have the diamond specs?

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
YAG stands for Yttrium Aluminum Garnet. It’s super glowy with a hardness of 8.5 - definitely my new favorite synthetic gemstone :)

Please post updates on your lab diamond search. I might be looking for one myself soon :mrgreen2:

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Lab diamond prices are all over the place aren’t they? But I would say that’s a great price. It may be poorly cut however. Do you have the diamond specs?
I don't haven't seen the stone or the certificate, but the advertisement clearly states the specs and that there is an IGI certificate. I am going to wait, as I think the prices of lab diamonds are definitely dropping. It may not take too long for them to get to the $800 per carat price that DeBeers set with Lightbox.
As for the YAG--I love that stone (and ring)! That is stunning, so now I need to know who Gene is and if you can, the contact information? Did Starsgem make that ring? If so, it's one of the prettiest ones I have seen! Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing it with me--my bucket list continues to grow :)!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I don't haven't seen the stone or the certificate, but the advertisement clearly states the specs and that there is an IGI certificate. I am going to wait, as I think the prices of lab diamonds are definitely dropping. It may not take too long for them to get to the $800 per carat price that DeBeers set with Lightbox.
As for the YAG--I love that stone (and ring)! That is stunning, so now I need to know who Gene is and if you can, the contact information? Did Starsgem make that ring? If so, it's one of the prettiest ones I have seen! Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing it with me--my bucket list continues to grow :)!

@lindam1503 I had been planning to write about this ring so your inquiry motivated me to do just that! You can read about Gene (Precision Gem) and the ring design process here.

I don't think Gene is taking on commissions currently, so you will have to check on his site often because his stones sell out lightening fast ;)2 You might also want to reach out to Stag and Finch, as they just returned from Thailand and brought lots of this good stuff home. Here is a YAG they cut recently: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1fBS0JFnwp/

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
@lindam1503 I had been planning to write about this ring so your inquiry motivated me to do just that! You can read about Gene (Precision Gem) and the ring design process here.

I don't think Gene is taking on commissions currently, so you will have to check on his site often because his stones sell out lightening fast ;)2 You might also want to reach out to Stag and Finch, as they just returned from Thailand and brought lots of this good stuff home. Here is a YAG they cut recently: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1fBS0JFnwp/

Oh wow! That is a gorgeous stone! I can see why he's busy and your ring is absolutely stunning!
I am going to wait on buying a large lab diamond--the one I started this thread about is gone from the Alibaba site, so someone may have purchased it. SG seems to run "specials" frequently now, so I may just keep watching that site.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your ring--I've never seen anything quite like it before!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Less Wright of BetterThanDiamond isn't very popular on these forums for some reason, but his company sells some precision cut lab grown diamonds also.

It's a little more expensive per carat than the 2K/1.2 but could be worth a look: https://betterthandiamond.com/produ...Ideal-Hearts-and-Arrows-Rounds?optid=NjQ4Ng==

His settings are overpriced in my opinion. If you're buying one of his stones I'd get it set by someone else.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the SG stones, make sure to look at the promotions on the certificates (or have them take pics and send to you). My guess Is that the ones they have on special deals aren't the best cut. But I'd still look into it bc their prices are great and they are a trustworthy company IMHO.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
For the SG stones, make sure to look at the promotions on the certificates (or have them take pics and send to you). My guess Is that the ones they have on special deals aren't the best cut. But I'd still look into it bc their prices are great and they are a trustworthy company IMHO.

Yes, that is a REALLY good idea. The specific stone was gone from the site, so I assume it was purchased, but yes, I would want to see the certificate. The website said "excellent" for the cut. Like you, I've had very good experiences with SG, so I would, (and will), definitely buy form them again :). I am going to wait, but it may not be too long before I can have a large, D / VS great cut lab diamond--technology can be a wonderful thing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is a REALLY good idea. The specific stone was gone from the site, so I assume it was purchased, but yes, I would want to see the certificate. The website said "excellent" for the cut. Like you, I've had very good experiences with SG, so I would, (and will), definitely buy form them again :). I am going to wait, but it may not be too long before I can have a large, D / VS great cut lab diamond--technology can be a wonderful thing!
I was thrilled with the custom moissanite stones I got from them, so I know they can be awesome. Good luck, keep us posted!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I hope it's okay to post this here, but SG is advertising a "September Special". It's a lab diamond, (not moissanite), on the Alibaba website and the price is SO low I thought I'd ask people who know a lot more than I if it's for real?

It's advertised as 1.2 carats, D Color, VS Clarity, and Certified IGI Certificate. It does say "CVD" which I've read is not great, but is that a deal breaker for $2K? It measures 7mm.

I was just a bit surprised at the low cost. I've found one recommended vendor I like a lot, and their comparable lab diamond would be around $7,500.

Thanks in advance and if this belongs on a different thread, my apologies.

I actually came across a vendor on alibaba that just does lab diamonds. All come with IGI certificate and I asked for a video and the certificate which I was sent within hours.
Interestingly enough, I asked if they had an online inventory and they said I could see their stones at nrdweblist but that the prices on there would be higher.

I was quoted $2,700 for a 1.52ct F VS2 ideal cut. Which in comparison to all the other sites really is a steal. This one may not have been amazing but they have a looottttttt of diamonds it seems.

Let me know if you want the vendor and I’ll go and find it in my messages.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I actually came across a vendor on alibaba that just does lab diamonds. All come with IGI certificate and I asked for a video and the certificate which I was sent within hours.
Interestingly enough, I asked if they had an online inventory and they said I could see their stones at nrdweblist but that the prices on there would be higher.

I was quoted $2,700 for a 1.52ct F VS2 ideal cut. Which in comparison to all the other sites really is a steal. This one may not have been amazing but they have a looottttttt of diamonds it seems.

Let me know if you want the vendor and I’ll go and find it in my messages.

Yes, please let me know the name of the vendor! I think that's a great price for that diamond. My US jeweler that I like a LOT told me to be wary of the IGI certificates. Apparently they may have "looser" standards? I'm far from an expert and I don't think I would mind a slight deviation in color, clarity, or cut when they are all so high :).

Thanks a bunch and I hope you post again when you get your diamond! I'd love to see it and what you do with it. For that price, I would give serious thought to a simple solitaire mounting for a ring, and then, at a later date, pay a US vendor to have a halo and/or matching band made--congratulations!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
5A41730B-4262-4A86-A31B-CBC8E63C2D4A.jpeg E754CD11-EA3B-4A4E-9C15-8378BBC4A99D.jpeg 4863CA5C-7151-42B5-9413-FF04AE30A82F.jpeg 63F58325-5FB1-4C03-84A6-7CDED78EECA6.png
Yes, please let me know the name of the vendor! I think that's a great price for that diamond. My US jeweler that I like a LOT told me to be wary of the IGI certificates. Apparently they may have "looser" standards? I'm far from an expert and I don't think I would mind a slight deviation in color, clarity, or cut when they are all so high :).

Thanks a bunch and I hope you post again when you get your diamond! I'd love to see it and what you do with it. For that price, I would give serious thought to a simple solitaire mounting for a ring, and then, at a later date, pay a US vendor to have a halo and/or matching band made--congratulations!
I have attached a photo of their business card so you can search for them.
IGI isn’t a preferred lab usually and definitely not for mined diamonds BUT they do majority of lab diamonds. GCAL also certifies lab diamonds and some people tend to prefer them but majority are certified by IGI. I ended up feeling comfortable with that.
I actually found this vendor after I purchased my diamond from BE but once I found them I was curious and made an enquiry.

I ended up paying $2,700 for a 1.43 J VVS2. So there you go lol. I have attached a photo of mine and mine is also certified by IGI. It actually faces up really white so I’m not sure how much lower they go on grades. I really like it but I am no diamond connoisseur.

I’m also waiting on a halo setting to be made by starsgem with lab diamonds to put that diamond in! Lol

If you do make a purchase, please come back and show me! The person responding to me spoke really good English and was very nice and responded very promptly.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
5A41730B-4262-4A86-A31B-CBC8E63C2D4A.jpeg E754CD11-EA3B-4A4E-9C15-8378BBC4A99D.jpeg 4863CA5C-7151-42B5-9413-FF04AE30A82F.jpeg 63F58325-5FB1-4C03-84A6-7CDED78EECA6.png

I have attached a photo of their business card so you can search for them.
IGI isn’t a preferred lab usually and definitely not for mined diamonds BUT they do majority of lab diamonds. GCAL also certifies lab diamonds and some people tend to prefer them but majority are certified by IGI. I ended up feeling comfortable with that.
I actually found this vendor after I purchased my diamond from BE but once I found them I was curious and made an enquiry.

I ended up paying $2,700 for a 1.43 J VVS2. So there you go lol. I have attached a photo of mine and mine is also certified by IGI. It actually faces up really white so I’m not sure how much lower they go on grades. I really like it but I am no diamond connoisseur.

I’m also waiting on a halo setting to be made by starsgem with lab diamonds to put that diamond in! Lol

If you do make a purchase, please come back and show me! The person responding to me spoke really good English and was very nice and responded very promptly.
Oh! I love it! I also love that you're have Starsgem making a halo setting! Because of my lack of expertise, I'd be a bit afraid to have that done, plus, you must have a local jeweler that's willing to mount your diamond in the setting from SG?

Now you really have me thinking! I love the pieces (only moissanite) that I've bought from SG and I actually thought about having a ring like yours made with a moissanite in the center until I could spring for a lab diamond.

Thanks again!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
7F5C9FDE-DF28-4CD2-8F9B-51441FA7C30D.jpeg
Oh! I love it! I also love that you're have Starsgem making a halo setting! Because of my lack of expertise, I'd be a bit afraid to have that done, plus, you must have a local jeweler that's willing to mount your diamond in the setting from SG?

Now you really have me thinking! I love the pieces (only moissanite) that I've bought from SG and I actually thought about having a ring like yours made with a moissanite in the center until I could spring for a lab diamond.

Thanks again!

Yes, I’m just going to find a local jeweller to set the diamond which should be quite inexpensive. I have approved the latest cad which I’ve attached if you were interested in the same setting and I can come back and show you once I have it!
It only cost me $350. 14k white gold and lab diamonds so even if it comes and for whatever reason I don’t like it, it’s not a big loss but I have seen a lot of their work and I like it so fingers crossed I love it!

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
7F5C9FDE-DF28-4CD2-8F9B-51441FA7C30D.jpeg

Yes, I’m just going to find a local jeweller to set the diamond which should be quite inexpensive. I have approved the latest cad which I’ve attached if you were interested in the same setting and I can come back and show you once I have it!
It only cost me $350. 14k white gold and lab diamonds so even if it comes and for whatever reason I don’t like it, it’s not a big loss but I have seen a lot of their work and I like it so fingers crossed I love it!
I know it's lab diamonds, but since you bought your mounting from Starsgem, maybe post this on the "moissanite" sub on Reddit?

I haven't taken a leap into a ring yet, but it's always good to see everyone's experiences, (good or bad), with the Chinese vendors.

I love your mounting :). It's also, imo, a fabulous price, so I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you! There are some people who really know how to read a CAD, (I'm not one of them), and give very helpful feedback.

I can't wait to see when you get your ring! I think it's going to be a stunner!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I know it's lab diamonds, but since you bought your mounting from Starsgem, maybe post this on the "moissanite" sub on Reddit?

I haven't taken a leap into a ring yet, but it's always good to see everyone's experiences, (good or bad), with the Chinese vendors.

I love your mounting :). It's also, imo, a fabulous price, so I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you! There are some people who really know how to read a CAD, (I'm not one of them), and give very helpful feedback.

I can't wait to see when you get your ring! I think it's going to be a stunner!
I’m not on reddit actually. Can you post the link to it?? My setting is finished. I hope I love it when it gets here!
716580 716581 716579

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I’m not on reddit actually. Can you post the link to it?? My setting is finished. I hope I love it when it gets here!
322AEF6B-D015-4BB2-B25C-90D0A1A36559.jpeg ADB2AF2E-AB43-4558-B697-2CC0EBA64612.jpeg 30D4538D-2B98-4289-AFA3-267BEDF578B3.jpeg

Here is the like to the Reddit sub dedicated to moissanite. There are a lot of ring designs that mix in lab diamonds too, so I think you'd get some good feedback there :).

I think it looks lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results