shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choose between 3 diamonds for a YG pendant

easttle

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

This is the first time I post, but during the past months since my engagement, I have learnt so much from this forum to help me and DH make an informed choice about my ER and so enjoyed looking at the gorgeous diamonds that never run short here.

Now, my DH wants to buy me a solitaire diamond pendant as a wedding gift. Having been a frequent visit to PS, I took choosing the diamond setting to myself. I am thinking a 18k yellow gold setting to make a sliding and non-bezeled pendant and want a RB between 0.6 and 0.7 carat.

I have a budget of 1850 USD for the diamond and have been searching for a suitable diamond on James Allen. With the YG setting, I think I'll allow a color to J but does not want to go below VS2 to have some mind clean :twisted2:

So I have so far narrowed down to three candidates but cannot seem to make up my mind, so your help and advise would be much much appreciated.

1. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7540420

CARAT WEIGHT: 0.62
COLOR: J
CLARITY: VS1
CUT: True HeartsTM Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W (MM): 5.53*5.49
PRICE: 1710 USD

So this one seems to have a very good looking Idealscope and the spread seems nice enough. I asked for its GIA report and run through HCA with a score of 1. My only concern is that in the video, the center part of the stone does not seem very crisp from the face up.

2. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7345144

CARAT WEIGHT: 0.64
COLOR: J
CLARITY: VS1
CUT: True HeartsTM Excellent
L/W (MM): 5.55*5.54
PRICE: 1800 USD

This one looks very nice from the video, can see a lot of sparkle and seems to me a whiter J to the first option. Has a HCA of 1.1. However, its Idealscope looks paler and have more leakage than the first one.

3. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7296614

CARAT WEIGHT: 0.61
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
L/W (MM): 5.50*5.48
PRICE: 1470 USD

This one is marked by JA as a True Hearts diamond so a bit cheaper, but seems from the video to be crisp and of very good symmetry and its GIA report also shows angles and proportions well within ideal ranges. With a table at 57% and depth of 60.7%, it has a HCA of 0.9. However, it does not come with any light performance pictures and to get them, I'll have to pay first.

So your expert eye and opinions are much needed! I'd love to know what you think of the three and how you weigh their pros and cons.

Many thanks ;)2

easttle

Rough_Rock
This one is marked by JA as a True Hearts diamond so a bit cheaper, but seems from the video to be crisp and of very good symmetry and its GIA report also shows angles and proportions well within ideal ranges. With a table at 57% and depth of 60.7%, it has a HCA of 0.9. However, it does not come with any light performance pictures and to get them, I'll have to pay first.

Sorry I meant to say "this one is NOT marked by JA as a True Hearts diamond".

I would also like to add more specifics to these three diamonds:

1. SKU 7540420
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.4%
Crown Angle: 34.5%
Pavillion Angle: 40.8%
Girdle: M-ST
Measurements: 5.49-5.53*3.39

2. SKU 7345144
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.8%
Crown Angle: 34.5%
Girdle: M
Measurements: 5.54-5.55*3.42

3. SKU 7296614
Table: 57%
Depth: 60.7%
Crown Angle: 33.5%
Girdle: M-ST
Measurements: 5.48-5.50*3.33

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Are you saying they have images but won’t give them to you until you’ve bought the diamond? That’s absurd :eek2:.

I like the I color, but I think I’d eliminate #3 because of the shallower crown. It might be fine, but you don’t have images. So between 1 and 2, the video for two looks much better to my eye and it’s a smidge bigger and a smidge higher in the J territory. That’s my opinion =)2

easttle

Rough_Rock
@ mwilliamanderson Thank you for your input and for pointing out the shallower crown of #3! I didn’t notice that earlier.

From my chat with their CS rep, as JA doesn’t have all their diamonds in stock, they will need my payment to ship the diamond in and get its light performance pictures and they will give me a refund if I am not interested in the diamond in the end. I could understand their reasons but it does make me hesitant and more uncertain.

And I agree with you on the second option. It indeed looks more white in the video. If only its Idealscope could make me more reassured ;)2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d never buy a diamond sight-unseen, no matter what the return policy is. Maybe some other rep at JA would be able to get you pictures.

After all, the eye is what diamonds exist to please, and no matter what the numbers say, your best stone might disappoint, and the second-best candidate might be the one that captures your heart.

easttle

Rough_Rock

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer, if it were 35.5 with 40.6 I’d be more encouraged but it’s 36 and you can’t get images I assume. James Allen is making it very difficult to pick a nice diamond. I purchased a diamond from them, but it is an AGS000 True Hearts so I felt pretty safe. There are no AGS graded stones under 1 ct now on their website. Do you have to buy from them?

easttle

Rough_Rock
I agree. It seems to me now they only offer IS images for their True Hearts diamonds. I don’t necessarily have to shop from them, I’m mainly drawn to the settings they are offering.

The one from WF looks just gorgeous and WF was actually my first choice. The sad thing is they don’t offer a setting I like and their custom made settings would cost around 500-600 USD more. So, it’s kind of a compromise I am currently trying to find a suitable diamond :(2

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Why can’t you buy the setting and send it to Whiteflash to have them set the stone? It’s worth asking them if they’ll do it.

easttle

Rough_Rock
Just got your latest reply. This is a very good idea! I’ll check with both vendors to see if they do with outside setting or diamond.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That is so pretty! I can see why you like it.

You can have Whiteflash send it to them. The reverse might work as well. I hope others chime in about which might be better @lovedogs . I found this is the FAQ’s:

I have my own diamond but I'd like to purchase one of your settings. Can you set my diamond into a JamesAllen ring?

Yes! Almost Every ring on the James Allen website is available for purchase, regardless of whether or not you purchase a center diamond from us. Many rings, however, cannot be manufactured unless we have the diamond in our possession. Tension settings, rings with diamond halos, and other unique designs fall into that category. In those instances we require that you send the diamond to our offices and charge a $100 setting fee. To order those designs, please contact our offices and we will provide you with an exact shipping and insurance quotation. For all other designs, you can complete your order through our online shopping cart. When you check out with just a setting (and not a diamond), please provide us with the exact shape and millimeter dimensions of your diamond so we can include properly sized prongs.

Last edited:

easttle

Rough_Rock
That’s great and you have been most helpful!

I’ll confirm with them and hopefully this will be problem solved for me;)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, JA sometimes will set outside stones. But if you go this route make sure you insure the loose stone before it gets sent anywhere. Bc if JA chips it or slmethg else weird happens you want to make sure you're covered.

I would go for WF over JA for a diamond any day of the week, so I definitely like this compromise!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@easttle please accept my apology for the way I wrote my comment - I didn't realize how my tone of voice would come across until I reread this thread. Sorry about that!

I hope you find the stone of your dreams.

easttle

Rough_Rock
Yes, JA sometimes will set outside stones. But if you go this route make sure you insure the loose stone before it gets sent anywhere. Bc if JA chips it or slmethg else weird happens you want to make sure you're covered.

I would go for WF over JA for a diamond any day of the week, so I definitely like this compromise!

Hi Thank you for your input! This is very solid advice and I guess me living overseas does make this a little bit more complicated and riskier than otherwise. I am right now trying again to find a pendant setting I like from WF, as I sure already love their diamonds=)2

easttle

Rough_Rock
@easttle please accept my apology for the way I wrote my comment - I didn't realize how my tone of voice would come across until I reread this thread. Sorry about that!

I hope you find the stone of your dreams.

Not a bit of offense taken ;)2 I agree with you and would like to have as many tools (IS or ASET images, videos...) as possible at hand when choosing a diamond online.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered a WF pendant, the four corners one! I just wanted to say that I would have the head/prongs in white gold and the chain in yellow gold so the yg prongs won't be reflected in the diamond.

easttle

Rough_Rock
I just ordered a WF pendant, the four corners one! I just wanted to say that I would have the head/prongs in white gold and the chain in yellow gold so the yg prongs won't be reflected in the diamond.

Great idea! I would love to see some photos. Do you have a posting about it or have I missed it?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy the Whiteflash stone, have them put it into the setting (have JA or whomever send to Whiteflash). That is the better way to do it, as it’s WF’s stone until you get it, and if something happens while setting it’d be covered under their insurance.

easttle

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for pitching in! After weighing my options and browsing the diamonds in each vendor's inventory (fun activity haha), I've decided to purchase both the diamond and setting at Whiteflash and have them set it.

So I chose this four-prong basket setting: https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-pendants/four-prong-basket-pendant-setting-1553.htm

I am hoping that with these two bales I could minimize flipping and the pendant traveling around my neck.

And the diamonds hunt has come down to these two: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4153208,4089743

Here are some specs about them.

1. AGS-104107301030
Category A CUT ABOVE®
Carat 0.632
Color J
Clarity VS2
Measurements 5.48x5.50x3.39 mm
Depth % 61.8
Table % 56.7
Crown Angle 34.7
Star % 53.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 14.9
Lower Girdle % 76.0

2. AGS-104104414042
Category A CUT ABOVE®
Carat 0.625
Color J
Clarity VS2
Measurements 5.47x5.49x3.38 mm
Depth % 61.7
Table % 56.4
Crown Angle 34.7
Star % 54.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 76.0

And Whiteflash kindly provided some side-to-side photos for these two. (The 0.555 one was provided for color and size comparison.)

CF34E31220A530F07C36C24DBE23E01A.jpg

8D11ECF03C6F31E20AE45C19C531F1CF.jpg

So what do you think? I could see that 0.632 is a bit more tinted than 0.625, but according to people at WF, 0.632 has more fire and contrast, which I really like in a diamond. While I guess these two will both look and perform very nicely, I am a bit undecided at the moment. Your inputs are much needed!

Many thanks again!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of the .632ct.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The .632 looks bigger to me and I know it isn’t...my eye is still drawn to it, even though I’d rather have less tint.

easttle

Rough_Rock
@Wewechew and @mwilliamanderson Thank you for your input! I think our eyes share the same taste :twisted2:. The pattern of 0.632 on the face-up photo is really nice, but I think maybe the photo isn’t doing 0.625 justice as this one seems to be a bit tilted rather than straight face-up.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
@Wewechew and @mwilliamanderson Thank you for your input! I think our eyes share the same taste :twisted2:. The pattern of 0.632 on the face-up photo is really nice, but I think maybe the photo isn’t doing 0.625 justice as this one seems to be a bit tilted rather than straight face-up.

Yes, I think you’re right about that. I see the .632 is on hold. Hope that’s you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones are almost identical. If you're looking for someone to push you over the edge...I'll vote for the .632 !
The .632 does look to have a few less inclusions. That's a mind clean issue since they are both eye-clean.

Full disclosure...if everyone had voted for the .625 I would have voted for that too!:lol: I mean seriously, these stones
are almost identical and both/either would be gorgeous!

Sometimes a stone just speaks to you and says "I'm the one for you". I think the .632 must be speaking to you.

Post pics when you get it!

easttle

Rough_Rock
@mwilliamanderson Yes, that was me!
@tyty333 Thank you for a further push haha ;)2.

I went with 0.632 and now the waiting begins. It has been a fun project. I'll sure post pics when I receive it.

A big thank you to all of you for helping me out!

easttle

Rough_Rock
Hi dear PSers! I received my pendants a couple of days ago and it's wonderful. This is my first time seeing an ACA diamond in person and I am truly impressed to the point that I think I have developed a a dangerous addiction to them. Nothing other than superideals will please me in the future ;)2. It is just very sparkly and displays beautiful symmetrical patterns all the time. The J color faces up very white; I can only see some warmth when it is compared next to the E colored diamond in my engagement ring. Still I think I quite enjoy the warmth of this ACA along with its yellow gold setting.

I'm also pleased with the four-prong basket setting from Whiteflash. The bales turned out to be very proportionate to the diamond (I was worrying about the bales being too big and considered changing them).

So here are some pictures. I only managed to take them with my phone and in not-so-nice room lightings.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

In its Whiteflash display box. The color of the box made it look a bit brownish;)2.

IMG_0241.jpg

Neck shots are indeed very difficult. This is the best one I managed but the diamond is still kind of blurred.

Thank you all again for your help and advice! PS is really one of the most informative and supportive online communities I've encountered.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results