carat
color
clarity

Bringing jewelry on cruise

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone.

I normally don’t bring my good stuff on a cruise, as I have several fakes I wear instead. This time, we are going with 8 other people for my birthday so I’ll be hauling it all, lol.

I don’t like using the in cabin safe by itself because as you know, the default reset code is 000000. (5 or 6 zeroes)

I was thinking of maybe bringing a small locking jewelry case that would fit in the safe. Nearly all of it is insured, but some pieces aren’t, as they are normally in the safety deposit box and I don’t wear them enough to justify.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Obviously it would just be a deterrent and I never like to assume the steward would look to steal. There are plenty of people who have access to the room though during the day. Etc.

I just want to keep my stuff safe and also I read sometimes people find a ring left from the last person in the safe, etc. I want to keep my stuff together and safe.

Thanks for any ideas,

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm too paranoid; I wouldn't take it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would bring only what I would wear daily. I went without my good jewelry to Italy a few years ago and it really bothered me that I didn’t have my real stuff on...I have travel jewelry now that I wear when I’m not on vacation because it’s so nice...but I’m able to change them out when I’m home. I had separation anxiety..This is your birthday cruise so I would pick a set of earrings and rings and wear it all the time...This way you won’t have to leave them in the room.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you mention this, we're going on an Alaska cruise and tour this week coming up, and my strategy is to pare down rather than wear fake stuff which has no appeal to me, plus I'd feel kind of embarrassed to wear it.

Typically I bring just one full set of jewelry: one wedding ring, engagement ring and one right hand ring. Two pair of earrings (since I have 2 piercings in each ear), a necklace and bracelet. The Love bracelet is always on. The point is it's either all on me or it's it's all in the safe. I'm not going to be wearing some of it and leaving some of it. It's still summer so my VCA Alhambra set is what I'm bringing with me. If it doesn't go perfectly with an outfit I'm wearing, so be it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I get it. This is probably what I’ll do, just take what I will wear.

It was so much fun at the get together in Idaho and I got to change my jewelry every day. :appl: I kept my jewelry in a travel roll, but I also put do not disturb on the door and hoped for the best. (It was fine). I figured it was likely safe in Boise, Idaho.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for asking the question! I’m leaving for a short cruise next Wednesday and I’m probably bringing most of mine. I don’t have a lot, but when I don’t bring it I miss it. Most I can wear at one time. So I’ll hope for the best!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For higher-value items I only bring what I will wear every day. I have a lot of things I think are nice and beautiful which get a lot of compliments that were less expensive, and I am perfectly willing to switch that stuff out. Whether this is semiprecious gem jewelry, silver costume, whatever.

Realistically though I just bring one set of stuff and wear it every day because my mind is so overtaxed on vacation I can't handle one more decision like what jewelry goes with my outfit!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My stepmom's e-ring was lifted from the stateroom safe on a cruise ten years ago, so my rule-of-thumb is to only take my fave pieces that don't really catch anyone's attention. I don't mind my daily jewelry being boring when I'm travelling.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just got back from a cruise, I take my good stuff and wear it. Perhaps find out if it’d be possible to put you high end stuff in the ships safe when you’re not wearing it. I’ve never had a problem leaving anything in the room safe though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with those who wrote take what you will wear daily and leave the rest at home. I would take my ER and one or two WBs depending on the time of year and temps (cooler means I need 2 WBs to keep the rings safely on my finger warmer weather one WB) and a pair of earrings. That's it probably.

In the past I would take more stuff and leave it in the safe in the room but these days I wouldn't bother. I would just take what I want to wear daily and not rotate.

fancy.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got back yesterday from a 20-night cruise. I left my HPD eternity band home and just wore a plain platinum band with Symphonie. I wore Trilogie as a RHR but left Queen Pari home. No tennis bracelets or necklaces because I still have my right arm in a sling from my broken clavicle.

Have been on 38 cruises and I normally wear just what I can wear daily because I don't want to use the safes onboard.

Enjoy your cruise.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got back yesterday from a 20-night cruise. I left my HPD eternity band home and just wore a plain platinum band with Symphonie. I wore Trilogie as a RHR but left Queen Pari home. No tennis bracelets or necklaces because I still have my right arm in a sling from my broken clavicle.

Have been on 38 cruises and I normally wear just what I can wear daily because I don't want to use the safes onboard.

Enjoy your cruise.

Broken clavicle? Well that's painful, my nephew did that in a hockey game. I'm sorry it happened to you!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I barely bring jewelry on vacation (I rarely go on vacation though!) I'm the exact opposite of many here it seems! Its not that I don't love it, I just don't want to be bothered with it. I don't do rings at all when I travel because I'm usually hiking somewhere.

Def. only take what you're going to be able to wear daily. I totally can understand wanting to take the nicer stuff but its a huge risk.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only bring what I will wear daily. Sometimes I bring an extra necklace. I have found that when I bring more I don't wear it. I have a small little zipped case that I take off my jewelry and put it in. If I wasn't going to wear it, I would zip it into the lining of my suitcase and lock the case.

Have fun, and take less. You will be so glad you did. Way less to worry about.

Q

Queenie60

I only bring what I will wear daily. Sometimes I bring an extra necklace. I have found that when I bring more I don't wear it. I have a small little zipped case that I take off my jewelry and put it in. If I wasn't going to wear it, I would zip it into the lining of my suitcase and lock the case.

Have fun, and take less. You will be so glad you did. Way less to worry about.
I say this!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bring what you can afford to replace.

Keep the antiques at home. :errrr:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, I agree. Less worry to leave at home.

I forgot at the get together that I secured my jewelry roll in my theft proof purse and took everything with me lol.

Definitely won’t be doing that on a cruise. I’ve decided to only bring my fakes.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A perfect use for fakes! Probably a lot of the other ladies on the cruise will be wearing their fakes too! :mrgreen2:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a head waiter ask me last week if my CBIs were real or fake. When I told him that they were real, he then asked me what they cost !!! :eek2:

While most of you will say that is rude, I remembered that he was from a Far East country where cultural norms are different from Western ones.
So I answered him, then he said that he would need to sell his house to buy them for his wife. Cruise ship crew don't make much money when compared to us.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a head waiter ask me last week if my CBIs were real or fake. When I told him that they were real, he then asked me what they cost !!! :eek2:

While most of you will say that is rude, I remembered that he was from a Far East country where cultural norms are different from Western ones.
So I answered him, then he said that he would need to sell his house to buy them for his wife. Cruise ship crew don't make much money when compared to us.

:eek2: Is right lol

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rule of thumb for cruises is that if my pieces are insured and can be easily replaced (as in, nothing heirloom, nothing with huge sentimental value, nothing that is rare or unique in some way that would make it hard to replace), then I bring it. I have never had an issue with anything going missing from my room (not from the safe or during times when I have kept things tucked in my sock drawer or even when they have been accidentally left out). Cruises are one of the few times when I can go all out with my jewelry and not look out of place, so I enjoy wearing my nicer pieces on them.

The caveat is that I do not wear my nice jewelry out and about on shore excursions. Many places the ships visit are not wealthy, and I would not want to invite unwanted attention that way. I don't even wear fakes. Just a simple band and costume jewelry that is obviously costume. Fun and casual.

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
To those of you who bring what you can wear, what will you do when you go swimming, for example? :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results