shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating about this latest purchase, help me out!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys might have spotted this on LT, it's described as a Ceylon sapphire in this white gold Sputnik kind of setting. This is totally different from anything I usually wear but the sapphire is what got me (blue to lavender shift no window and precision cut). So I really bought this because I love the sapphire so much (and sold my remaining Moissanite ring which helped!)

Now the question, do I leave it as is or reset it? It seems like there is a bit of metal showing from underneath the stone and that kind of bugs me. Just don't know what to think of it :confused:

IMG_6306.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Steph! This is wonderful!:love::love::love:
Sapphires are my birthstone, so they always steal my heart.
Is this the vendor photo or your photo?
I like it as is, but would like to see other views

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I would reset as the setting doesn’t appeal to me but how badly does the current setting bug you? If the current setting stops you from enjoying the stone then I think a reset is needed so you can properly enjoy the stone.

If budget is a concern, you could probably get a fairly nice readymade halo from jewelryhoo etc and it won’t break the bank.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 that is the current owner's photo, she is mailing it to me Monday or Tuesday but here are a couple more that I found on my phone from the original listing:
IMG_6308.jpg IMG_6309.jpg

Now it was sold as Ceylon unheated because that's how it was sold to her but I'm buying it for the color, the price came down quite a bit from when she first listed it so it was within reach.

So you have a birthday coming up soon! He big 30! :twisted2:

@icy_jade, I think I have to seen it in person, it's definitely grown on me since I first saw it and I do aim to keep vintage pieces as original as possible, but this is so different from my usual.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, no.....double nickels! It's all so very sad. But I'm trying to age gracefully. No botox, no hair dye and lots of cookies and pie!
But I bought the bee pin as a b-day present for myself, and I do love it so!
I also ordered at Magnasonic jewelry cleaner from Amazon. I had a gift card from work, so it was basically free!
I've been wearing all my diamonds 24/7 so they'll be real dirty by the time it arrives!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Girl you don't look 55, not even close so you are aging very gracefully!

You are so good getting the Magnasonic, I'm still using a toothbrush and Dawn lol! You'll have to let me know how you like it, maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 that is the current owner's photo, she is mailing it to me Monday or Tuesday but here are a couple more that I found on my phone from the original listing:
IMG_6308.jpg IMG_6309.jpg

Now it was sold as Ceylon unheated because that's how it was sold to her but I'm buying it for the color, the price came down quite a bit from when she first listed it so it was within reach.

@icy_jade, I think I have to seen it in person, it's definitely grown on me since I first saw it and I do aim to keep vintage pieces as original as possible, but this is so different from my usual.
wow wee !
thats so pretty and different
maybe wear it and see how you feel about it
...or i could wear it for you and you could see how it looks on me
but serously congradulations on the find
its just awsome :appl:
enjoy

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the setting and that it’s unique. The stone is gorgeous and that setting let’s the stone be the focus. See how it feels when you get it! =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for weighing in @Daisys and Diamonds and @Slick1

Speaking of weighing in, this ring is not my size currently and normally I would resize it but really need to lose weight. So if I want to wear it I have to lose the weight, kind of a goal to meet if you will.

@Daisys and Diamonds don't we need a shared jewelry subforum here? There are so many pieces I would love to borrow from other PS'ers :twisted2:

I'm leaning towards that idea @Slick1 just wasn't sure if this was going to be too out there you know? That's why I originally passed on it but then it kept hanging around and I was like, oh alright! :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for weighing in @Daisys and Diamonds and @Slick1

Speaking of weighing in, this ring is not my size currently and normally I would resize it but really need to lose weight. So if I want to wear it I have to lose the weight, kind of a goal to meet if you will.

@Daisys and Diamonds don't we need a shared jewelry subforum here? There are so many pieces I would love to borrow from other PS'ers :twisted2:

I'm leaning towards that idea @Slick1 just wasn't sure if this was going to be too out there you know? That's why I originally passed on it but then it kept hanging around and I was like, oh alright! :lol-2:
it would be so much fun to dress up in each other's jewlery
im looking forward to seeing this ring on your finger
our days down here are getting longer so the cooler weather will be with you all too soon and it might just fit

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds is there anyone off the bat you would borrow from? I'm thinking Mrs. B or Soxfan, I definitely want to see a CVB ring in person!

Winter is coming so true so I might be able to squeeze it on!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Girl you don't look 55, not even close so you are aging very gracefully!
You are so good getting the Magnasonic, I'm still using a toothbrush and Dawn lol! You'll have to let me know how you like it, maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas.
Thanks for the nice compliment, Steph. I think it's just good genes! The women in my family all looked pretty good even when they got old.
I have been looking and looking for an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner in all the stores, even the thrift stores.
No luck so far. I guess it's just not the kind of thing people buy around here!

But about that sapphire ring, I just love the side view. I kinda felt faint when I saw that profile photo! Stunning!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good genes are always a blessing!

You are too sweet about this ring, I will make sure to come back and share pics when it arrives!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on getting the sapphire you have been wanting. :dance:

Personally I would re-set it. To me it has a mid century look which I don't prefer. The stone is lovely and it would look great in an antique inspired or modern setting.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn , If you are in the fence about the setting I would have it sized to fit you and wear it for a month or two and see how you feel. The color of the center stone is gorgeous.

I purchased a ring that I wasn’t in love with the setting and thought I would just reset the stone. After it was sized to fit me properly The setting really started to grow on me. A few months later I found out there was a problem with the setting and needed a new setting. As I was looking at different setting, I realized I had fallen in love with the setting I had and really didn’t want a change. The jeweler made me a setting that looked exactly like the one I had. I’m so glad I didn’t rush into changing the setting and really love the ring.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice @Calliecake, I definitely won't be in rush to change it after reading your story.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This stone is gorgeous!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite thank you so much, it was the stone that originally got me love that color shift!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely colour @StephanieLynn, I rather like the quirky setting, but if down the line you decide to reset, it would look pretty using the stones as a halo.

Reactions: AV_

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I like that idea of reusing the halo stones a lot, thanks @Austina :wavey:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the sapphire but a bit mixed on the setting.
It doesn’t seem to quite fit the sapphire so I’m thinking the sapphire wasn’t the original centre gemstone.
In any regard it needs a good clean, me, I’d think about getting the setting rhodium plated to make to look brighter.
Love the sapphire, I think I said that already!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been looking at your pictures of the stone over and over and I think maybe the setting originally held a cushion?

What is the mm size of the sapphire?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree @Bron357 and what makes it more apparent is that there is some metal that peeks out around the sides of the sapphire, so that right there was an indication that it wasn't original to the setting. I'm not doing anything with it at the moment because it's too small and by the time it fits I just might decide to reset it. Also I'm having my gemologist friend look at it tomorrow to make sure it is indeed natural, so sense going crazy if it's lab created.

@PreRaphaelite, it's 7mm round, yeah this setting was certainly not made for this sapphire that much I know, it's just very obvious with the way the metal basket peeks or around the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results