shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your blooms - what’s ‘growing on’ in your landscape?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love looking at landscaping and everybody's pretty plants!

Ahh...summer :P2
BDDE8671-DC1E-4EF4-B1D0-EDD11E84EA77.jpeg
9C82745A-295B-483A-8DC0-110DB1F0A8F1.jpeg
1A39316F-A326-4B6D-B117-0622962CAC98.jpeg
8558CA3A-B680-4C52-9293-FA0502CFA0CF.jpeg
14E66B8E-5740-4390-A919-0AB46BDC5EF3.jpeg
9FFB04E8-471E-4629-91CD-B1E13E820997.jpeg
E9C04871-400F-4977-ACC0-8A5E615509FE.jpeg
F6199B70-0875-4904-89BE-746A0308D336.jpeg
B18ED75E-A71B-4DF5-9586-3AEAAB75019A.jpeg
A1CE3CEA-3FBA-46FC-9945-BBAAE9D63908.jpeg

But your tree view (with that :love: bark patterning!) really is gorgeous!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks as if I will have some guyabano this year as I'm seeing multiple flowers on the tree. its taken a while, we had some low temps (low enough to break a record and kill iguanas!!) over the last couple of winters that most of my fruit trees and even the Plumeria suffered (no blooms on it yet) Did not stop all the darn mangos though! I just got a new jasmine plant to replace the one killed last winter. This one I will put on the north side of the house for better protection.

20190729_122051[1].jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks as if I will have some guyabano this year as I'm seeing multiple flowers on the tree. its taken a while, we had some low temps (low enough to break a record and kill iguanas!!) over the last couple of winters that most of my fruit trees and even the Plumeria suffered (no blooms on it yet) Did not stop all the darn mangos though! I just got a new jasmine plant to replace the one killed last winter. This one I will put on the north side of the house for better protection.

20190729_122051[1].jpg
Ooh I love Jasmine! I’d love to see some photos of your Plumeria if it blooms, so pretty!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I love Jasmine! I’d love to see some photos of your Plumeria if it blooms, so pretty!
plumeria.jpg

An older image but this is how big it is. as much as I wish it would bloom, I've been pretty happy not having to pick up a carpet of pink flowers every day. Its a double edged sword.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, these are beautiful! @missy do I spy a turret at your home? - ugh that's one of my favorite architectural elements of a house!

@D&T The Roses of Sharon are Gorgeous!

I completely re-did my front lawn this year and put down some gladiolas which came up very nice - until the heavy rains i

Reactions: D&T

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EB7164E1-9F06-40CD-9A2C-5119873F9BE1.jpeg
Wow, these are beautiful! @missy do I spy a turret at your home? - ugh that's one of my favorite architectural elements of a house!

@D&T The Roses of Sharon are Gorgeous!

I completely re-did my front lawn this year and put down some gladiolas which came up very nice - until the heavy rains i
I love gladiolas and have an area where some of our Ivy have over taken its grounds so trying to make way for them a bit too late in the year now.

I love hibiscus, here is our Dinner Plate hibiscus the trees, the bush I love them all

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving everyone's beautiful blooms!:love::love::love:

I wish I could grow some. Everything dies in my garden! {{sigh}}

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yesterday a hummingbird feasting for ages on the firecracker below our window:

Hummingbird 3.jpg
Hummingbird 2.jpg

and totally ignoring the easy pickings above....stupid little bird! :love: =)2

Hummingbird 5.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not stupid at all @prs. Native flowering plants are the best source of nectar for Hummingbirds. Supplementing with a sugar water feeder can provide sustenance during migration and nesting season. He’s no dummy,nothing compares to the real deal! Great shots capturing this fella! :love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The star of this pic is a Ballet Slipper Hibiscus. They are huge, like the size of a dinner plate. Black Eye Susan’s and Echinacea. Happy summer days.

D5F9C046-677A-4568-A174-76D630D1D319.jpeg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The star of this pic is a Ballet Slipper Hibiscus. They are huge, like the size of a dinner plate. Black Eye Susan’s and Echinacea. Happy summer days.

D5F9C046-677A-4568-A174-76D630D1D319.jpeg
Wow!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving everyone's beautiful blooms!:love::love::love:

I wish I could grow some. Everything dies in my garden! {{sigh}}

My garden mainly consists of perennials and hardy plants so not too much effort from me I have only a few planter boxes that are self watering containers that are annual otherwise I’m not very good at keeping them alive. I use lots of automatic drip lines as well as self watering containers as I forget to water sometimes and they will stay alive from the supplemental water reservoir :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not stupid at all @prs. Native flowering plants are the best source of nectar for Hummingbirds. Supplementing with a sugar water feeder can provide sustenance during migration and nesting season. He’s no dummy,nothing compares to the real deal! Great shots capturing this fella! :love:
Very true, but the feeder is at perfect viewing height, and only 24" or so from our window. Can't that stupid little bird figure out it's the best place for us to admire him (or her). :!::!::!: :lol-2:

In the right season they fight over our feeders, not so much right now when nature is supplying plenty of nectar!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs =)2 Thank you!

Reactions: prs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
20190812_163153.jpg 20190812_163128.jpg what a lovelly and inspiring thread
this is long and borring in comparrison

this house we brought needs a paint (and i brought all the paint ...just waiting on the weather) so i cant plant anything in the gardens around the house because any scaffolding will ruin them
this is a Camilla that shifted with us - its had a long tragic history but so far it loves it in this sheltered corner and the bees are happy to have it
i planted it many years ago when i first moved in with the OH
we rented that place together for 16 or more ? years
back in the day i only liked very formal looking camilia flowers but i got tjis one because its called Nicky Crisp and Nicky being my name
anyway its a shorter one and quite slow growing
i planted it under the bedroom window which was at the back of the house and sometimes we noticed it and some years we forgot
anyway it had just got to the hight where we could see the flowers while lying in bed

our old landlord was a bit of a thoughtless SOB, never seeing him for years then he would embark on rip, s##t and bust projects like making a driveway on the unit next door and dumping all the unwanted earth (clay and rock) out the front of our place so it became impossible to mow
so i got home one hot day to this huge mountain of dirt and about two days latter we noticed he had destroyed the garden under the window and my pretty little slow growing camelia was gone
i have never been so upset over a shrub
i stood outside looking at the destruction and howled
anyway thw next day i was on an early shift so i got home in the middle of the afternoon and i saw what was left of my camelia ontop of the dirt pile
it didn't look that crash hot - it had been quite hot and the leaves were shrivling and there wern't a lit of roots
i put it in a bucket of water and cried some more
a week latter i looked at the bucket - all the leaves had fallen off
there was a big plastic pot ths other half used for his annual tomato plant so i shoved it in there, cried some more, asked God through more tears to please let it live and i left it where it would get the comming winter rain

months latter i noticed it had tiny little buds
the buds turned to leaves and the poor thing made a slow but steady comeback
but i was never going to risk planting her in the garden again and ive feed and watered her when ive remembered
she was in the last load of our stuff we shifted ourselves and she has sat beside the heat pump box by the front door ever since waiting to be planted back under our bedroom window
as an aside in the pot is also a surviving piece of my grandma's (this will not be spelt right :wall:) Asberdestour which i rescued from mum's place after she had been admitted to the demetia home and her house had stood empty for a few months
we were so short of room in the car i brought it home in a plastic bread bag
about a week latter i just shoved it in beside the camelia
its near on impossible to dig out but when i get the camelia out the old Asberdestour will get some love

Reactions: prs

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
August isn't generally a great month for landscapes here. It's too hot for life, lol. This bush though is always lovely (way taller than me!) and the orange flowers remind me that fall will be here eventually. 20190812_080917.jpg 20190812_080957.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are making me miss my beautiful Northeast garden. I miss peonies (we can't do those here) and hydrengas... Also I don't think rhododendrons grow here either. I super miss my oriental lilies :cry2:

At any rate, I am considering a compact ylang-ylang tree for the back of my yard. I don't want it too close to the house (the smell will knock you over!) Someone down the block has one and my goodness, it really perfumes the air first thing in the morning.

Since they grow really fast (can get to 60 feet I heard) I'm looking heavily at the midget variety.

Also, I'm considering a vanilla orchid. There's several in Florida that are endangered, so I won't be able to get cuttings of those, BUT, I will try one to see how it goes. I don't necessarily want it for the vanilla, but if it happens, cool!

I looked at West Indian Bay tree but too toxic, I don't need that in my yard....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not actually *in* the garden anymore...but they were until about 5 minutes ago! Just picked these and brought them inside. :kiss2:

20190824_182211.jpg

20190824_182259.jpg

20190824_182313.jpg

Not the best vase for them, but they're a sizeable bunch of flowers and the only other vase I own that would fit them is currently full of 2 dozen old fashioned mauve roses, bought for me by DH. So who am I to argue?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @mrs-b how beautiful! :love:

Thanks, Bonnie! I was just talking to my best friend in Australia on the phone and we were saying that being able to pick beautiful flowers from your own garden is one of the luxuries in life. It's like good coffee, fresh bread, electric blankets, music, blue skies, hot showers, great blue jeans - and a zillion other things in life that are small and often free, but that elevate life. Every time I pick flowers from my garden and bring them inside, I feel very lucky and very blessed. :))

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results