color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean I really like it! I don’t think it looks too big on you but, of course, we all have our own comfort zones! Beautiful stone too! I say rock it! :P2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean I really like it! I don’t think it looks too big on you but, of course, we all have our own comfort zones! Beautiful stone too! I say rock it! :P2
Thank you @Slick1! I don’t honk it’s too big...Haha..I realize what’s bothering me about it. The angles are too big. I should have gone with eight prongs and then the angles would be broken up and not so long. I also think the edges are kind of sharp looking. What do you think?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I think your octagon ring is fabulous, love everything about it, so much so that I would say if you ever decided to part with it to let me know except 8.5mm is too big for me lol!

But YOU have to love it, maybe live with it a few days and if it's still not making your heart sing thing about any changes that could be made that might make it perfect.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I think your octagon ring is fabulous, love everything about it, so much so that I would say if you ever decided to part with it to let me know except 8.5mm is too big for me lol!

But YOU have to love it, maybe live with it a few days and if it's still not making your heart sing thing about any changes that could be made that might make it perfect.

Sorry math teacher in me coming out :oops2: It’s actually a hexagon with six sides. Octagon has eight. At first glance I thought octagon too. I rather love it though either way. Six/eight it’s all delicious. :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 thank you for correcting that, math was my worst subject! Thankfully I married a math wiz, just don't tell him I called and octagon a hexagon :shhh:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you @StephanieLynn! It’s growing on me! I think the fact that you and others like it makes me like it too! Haha

od89

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, hoping someone can help. I’ve read lots of reviews on Tianyu being really cheap. However, I’m looking for a 3ct solitaire oval on a plain yellow gold band and anything even close to that is well over $1500+ .... does that sound about right?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys, hoping someone can help. I’ve read lots of reviews on Tianyu being really cheap. However, I’m looking for a 3ct solitaire oval on a plain yellow gold band and anything even close to that is well over $1500+ .... does that sound about right?

It would depend on how much gold and the current price of gold but that sounds high. i did a 14k ring w/ a ~2.8ct center + sidestones not that long ago for under $1k. And that price was an increase of about 10% over what I'd been quoted a few months prior.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
You might get a quote from Starsgem also for comparison, and that might help you gauge it better. Sometimes their pricing has been a bit more competitive.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I paid $700 for a 8.5mm OEC in 14k white gold..right after the New Year..

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I need opinions please. I reset my Tianyu OEC...I had David make me an octagon setting...which I thought I really liked...I don’t know..Are the edges too sharp? It makes the stone look huge! Maybe I need to get use to is? Honest opinions please...I took a crummy pic of the stone...I just concentrated on the shape of the setting..Thanks!
C1A9770D-7C8D-4B68-8703-DB582C428D45.jpeg

Dunno if this is too late but I love that setting!! I think it's perfect!!:kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dunno if this is too late but I love that setting!! I think it's perfect!!:kiss2:
Thank you @MeowMeow! I just got it today! It took me almost the whole day..but I warmed up to it and now I love it..It’s just so different from anything I have..It has great finger coverage! It looks just as good as an AV moissy. I have two from AV so I feel qualified to say that..:lol:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @MeowMeow! I just got it today! It took me almost the whole day..but I warmed up to it and now I love it..It’s just so different from anything I have..It has great finger coverage! It looks just as good as an AV moissy. I have two from AV so I feel qualified to say that..:lol:

It really does look amazing!! Makes me want one dreadfully! Maybe someday lol!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Slick1 thank you for correcting that, math was my worst subject! Thankfully I married a math wiz, just don't tell him I called and octagon a hexagon :shhh:
I did the same thing...Truthfully I didn’t know the difference....:oops:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Slick1 I worry about myself...:confused2: I just emailed David to say I would like him to soften the sharpness of the points...It will affect the milgrain but I told him I would rather he remove it all around to match than keep the points. They’re just too sharp for me...:doh:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 I worry about myself...:confused2: I just emailed David to say I would like him to soften the sharpness of the points...It will affect the milgrain but I told him I would rather he remove it all around to match than keep the points. They’re just too sharp for me...:doh:

:shifty: Well, you are definitely in good company with these things! I am sure he can do that for you as that’s what he offered me. I, on the other hand, want mine more pronounced. What a pair we are! :wall:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
:shifty: Well, you are definitely in good company with these things! I am sure he can do that for you as that’s what he offered me. I, on the other hand, want mine more pronounced. What a pair we are! :wall:
Really...Omg...He hasn’t answered me yet...I just sent it but keep checking my email..I can’t get to the post office now with my back anyway...I’m hoping he says yes..so I’ll send it with my blue moissanite on Friday...I get to save on shipping because I had to mail the blue one anyway....:roll:

crystaal

Rough_Rock
CAD check please!
upload_2019-8-19_13-35-43.png
Inspiration ring:

Example 1: https://thetruegem.com/engagement-rings/taylor-solitaire

Example 2 -https://www.instagram.com/p/BaDFrdRFumM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

this is a video of the ring in example 1

This is a 7.5 x 7.5 mm crushed ice colorless DEF cushion cut moissanite, ring size US 4.5

Specs:
  1. 14k gold band (1.5 mm width, 1.7 mm thickness), the width is on the thinner side so I will have to be much more careful with it. I've tried on this brilliant earth one in store and the width is exactly what I am looking for, I wasn't sure on the thickness so I just picked 1.7 mm)

2. 14k white gold claw prongs (is it me or are the prongs very prominent in the CAD, the measurement states 7.8 mm in the CAD. I am looking for minimal prongs that are secure yet creates a "floating" gem)

3. Pave 14k white gold gallery rails (1.0 mm lab grown diamonds)

4. Basket height is 7.9 mm (I did not request a specific height to Tianyu, but I am interested in the ring being set as low as possible. True gem co. (inspiration ring above) stated that they set their rings to approximately 5mm -- is that possible and would I still be able to fit a half eternity wedding band underneath with it being flushed? I know that Tiffany's style rings sit way too high on my hand since my hands are on the smaller side. Any suggestions on what height should I request?)
Thanks! Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Fairly new to this forum! I've just pulled the trigger on a full ring from tianyu with micropaving, also requested a brand new cut, I'm skeptical to see how it turns out!

Anyway I request an Octagon cut, see pictures below hqdefault.jpg

Excited to see how this comes out as I love the cut!

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Here are some images of how the octagon moissanite turned out! I do have videos but can't seem to download off the Alibaba app! Screenshot_20190824_044537_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_060308_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044606_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044619_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044551_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially as it's a new cut to them, think they have done an amazing job!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

Here are some images of how the octagon moissanite turned out! I do have videos but can't seem to download off the Alibaba app! Screenshot_20190824_044537_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_060308_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044606_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044619_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg Screenshot_20190824_044551_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially as it's a new cut to them, think they have done an amazing job!
That is such an interesting cut. There are a couple of people that have done the miligrain edged bezel rings with engraving in platinum with David Klass. This cut would look amazing in one on of those. What are you going to do with it?

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I've actually opted for tianyu to do the ring too, Ive opted for a micro pave setting with hidden halos, these are my inspiration pictures, let me know what you think of the design with the cut, only thing I'm slightly worried about is the cut may get lost in this setting, ultimately it's going to be an engagement ring! So it's not for me ☺️ Photo_02-11-2018_13_57_02_1024x1024.jpg IMG_0859_cfea78a6-0f09-4898-b141-67f918511163_1024x1024.jpeg Screenshot_20190822_190356_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I've actually opted for tianyu to do the ring too, Ive opted for a micro pave setting with hidden halos, these are my inspiration pictures, let me know what you think of the design with the cut, only thing I'm slightly worried about is the cut may get lost in this setting, ultimately it's going to be an engagement ring! So it's not for me ☺️ Photo_02-11-2018_13_57_02_1024x1024.jpg IMG_0859_cfea78a6-0f09-4898-b141-67f918511163_1024x1024.jpeg Screenshot_20190822_190356_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg
It is a beautiful setting. The measurements actually look pretty good so you are ok there. I hope you are going with lab diamonds for the small pave? The thing is this is a lot of very tiny pave and it is on all 3 sides. Settings always loose stones over time. I would ask for a few extra just in case this happens. It is a lot easier to replace small lab diamond pave then moissanite pave. A lot of jewelers won’t work on the ring and sometimes they will charge the value of the ring to actually fix these small issues.

The only other thing I wanted to mention since you are not the person wearing the ring is that 3 sided pave rings are very hard to wear a band next to without a small 1 mm spacer in between. Any adjacent band is going to get scratched very badly if worn right next to it. There is pave, even on the bridge so she will definitely need something in -between. The other option would be to get her band soldered together with a small gap in-between. I would ask Tianyu to make sure it is polished really well so there are no scratchy edges. These type of rings have to be done very well to be comfortable.

Drm546

Rough_Rock
Hello, thanks, very good points, I never considered getting lab diamonds for paving? I thought moissanite would be much easier to source and use?

Also regarding the wedding band, that did cross my mind, I thought maybe a custom band that fits perfectly? And never heard of a spacer if I'm honest?

I love the ring and have already Had CAD so thinking I won't be able to change design now.. especially as I think she will love it

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, thanks, very good points, I never considered getting lab diamonds for paving? I thought moissanite would be much easier to source and use?

Also regarding the wedding band, that did cross my mind, I thought maybe a custom band that fits perfectly? And never heard of a spacer if I'm honest?

I love the ring and have already Had CAD so thinking I won't be able to change design now.. especially as I think she will love it
If you can afford to, please but lab diamonds in the ring. These very small moissanites can look dull and no jeweler is going to stock small moissanite stones unless they make their own moissanite rings. A lot of them won’t work on other people’s rings because they won’t be able to guarantee if they apply heat that the ring can take it without causing damage. They will just say no because once you said it was made in China, they won’t risk it. If it is lab diamonds, they have a better understanding of what can be done and can always match a mined diamond to a lab diamond ring. Some people have had to put a mined diamond in a moissanite pave ring and it won’t match perfectly. People have super glued pave back in because they couldn’t find someone to work on it. It is just what happens when you have this much and you bang it on a door handle or table. Hopefully she has more of a desk job then anything physical.

I think Tianyu can make a nice ring but these types require a lot of handset pave and it usually takes quite a lot of skill. You don’t want to have to pay the cost of the ring to fix these issues or even worse, have to send it back to China.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results