shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking princess cut for upgrade

JinJean

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my <1ct princess cut engagement ring. I bought it from BG a few years ago but unfortunately it seems they are no longer selling princess cuts (does anyone know why??). It's quite disappointing.

I turned to WF and am considering these two stones:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3971442.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-4119203.htm
What do people think of these?

Also am hoping to trade in my current diamond with WF for the upgrade- anyone have any success doing this with a non-WF diamond?

Thanks in advance!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to talk to WF about if they will take it or not. I think the market for Princess is low so this may be why BG isn't selling them at this time. I think you cannot go wrong with WF their upgrade policy. Best of luck, my sister in law has a beautiful princess cut and she loves it!

JinJean

Rough_Rock
You have to talk to WF about if they will take it or not. I think the market for Princess is low so this may be why BG isn't selling them at this time. I think you cannot go wrong with WF their upgrade policy. Best of luck, my sister in law has a beautiful princess cut and she loves it!

I have emailed them already - they said they cannot guarantee whether they can take the old diamond until they dismount it from the setting and analyse it etc. I live in Australia so obviously this is a big deal for me to send it over if they don't ultimately accept it. So just wanted to know if people had any experience doing this and what the outcome was..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe if you search there is one person who traded in a diamond that was not purchased from WF and I think HP did once also. Yes it is a big deal to send your diamond across the world if your ring is not insured then you might want to do this (I doubt WF would take a stone out of a ring that wasn't theirs without it being insured).

I have emailed them already - they said they cannot guarantee whether they can take the old diamond until they dismount it from the setting and analyse it etc. I live in Australia so obviously this is a big deal for me to send it over if they don't ultimately accept it. So just wanted to know if people had any experience doing this and what the outcome was..

JinJean

Rough_Rock
No worries thank you for that.

What do people think of those stones I linked in my original post. Any advice?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Those are really nice choices and both will be an ideal cut princess. If you are comfortable with the I, you can save a little for the same mm spread.

I would ask for photos and videos side by side.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for side-by-side photos of the stones you're looking at.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you can afford the 1.5, I would still do it. S princess faces up smaller. I don't think you'll regret the additional .3 in weight over time, but you may regret not getting it.

Also, if you stick to the ACA princess, it's an ideal cut princess. I don't think you can go wrong. It's really what you prefer for color and size. I don't know that you'll visually see a big difference. I would ask if there is one that's a better performer though of you are concerned.

JinJean

Rough_Rock
If you can afford the 1.5, I would still do it. S princess faces up smaller. I don't think you'll regret the additional .3 in weight over time, but you may regret not getting it.

I went to a few stores and tried on 1.5ct princesses which weren't even ideal cut ones (just local jewelers in Aus) and found 1.5ct looks very gaudy and my ring size is very small (4). Such a showy ring is not my personal style. I think I will upgrade later if required (but I doubt it). Only reason I didn't get a larger stone initially was $ but have always though the absolute max size I will go is 1.5ct even back then..

If someone can offer some insight on whether these diamonds are good in terms of ASET images etc that would be good. I've had some differing opinions from people re light leakage so would appreciate the collective wisdom of PS :) To me they look alright!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Do you see color easily? I ask because that may make your selection streamlined. A fancy shape will show more color and an I color princess will have more tint that the H in all likelihood.

JinJean

Rough_Rock
Do you see color easily? I ask because that may make your selection streamlined. A fancy shape will show more color and an I color princess will have more tint that the H in all likelihood.

No I do not see colour easily.

I tried on a 1.5ct Tiffany princess solitaire ring which was H VVxx and it looked very white to me. I could not tell the difference between it and my current I coloured princess.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For easy access:

H VS1

Screenshot_20190831-214038.png

I VS2

Screenshot_20190831-214100.png

G SI1

Screenshot_20190831-214123.png

You have more red in the middle choice in the center, but more black on around the center. I think I'd ask them if any stand out as a better performer. The middle has the most red- but I personally liked that video less- but that's just me. The center choice probably has the best image though- tons of red, not as much green and the areas of contrast- blue- are somewhat symmetrical. I don't know that you'd ever really see the difference though in person. That's why I'd ask Whiteflash for thoughts on the options.

Last edited:

JinJean

Rough_Rock
For easy access:

H VS1

Screenshot_20190831-214038.png

I VS2

Screenshot_20190831-214100.png

G SI1

Screenshot_20190831-214123.png

You have more red in the middle choice in the center, but more black on around the center. I think I'd ask them if any stand out as a better performer. The middle has the most red- but I personally liked that video less- but that's just me. The center choice probably has the best image though- tons of red, not as much green and the areas of contrast- blue- are somewhat symmetrical. I don't know that you'd ever really see the difference though in person. That's why I'd ask Whiteflash for thoughts on the options.

Interesting. Why did you like the centre choice (the 1.2ct I VS2) the least? I also like the contrast pattern of it the most.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results