shape
carat
color
clarity

Can’t tell if I like this east west setting on me help

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
C4EC30AF-D26E-4800-9C8E-0C861BC67534.jpeg A70C436B-A2EE-4E8C-8F3B-2CEA6F79FA8F.jpeg 892A6EC8-432B-4E47-99C7-28A7B0238EF7.jpeg 1A37EABF-F2A3-404D-9AC1-28293CBA3F1D.jpeg For months I have been dreaming about my new ring. A few days ago I learned that I am indeed allergic to WG. So while my ring arrived yesterday, I have to change it. I’m debating if I should also change the setting. I had done this Bc in my mind I thought it would keep the stone out of the way so to speak- I have 2 little kids and am constantly busy with my hands. I requested low profile. I love the stone. It’s gorgeous. I even love the ring. I’m just not sure I love it on me. And before I send it back to get something I’m not allergic to. I wanted to see if anyone had an advice for the setting. I like finger coverage but really wanted only one stone - in a simple setting. On top of that — I don’t want it high or in the way. I’m a pretty casual person by nature lol. So it has to fit with my daily life.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
May I be honest? I don't love the e-w, but what do you think? Do you like a bezel look? If you did a faux bezel (or a real one, if you like them) set n-s, that would be a low maintenance ring that would not snag or catch on anything.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t dislike it ew, I definitely think it gives a more low key look to quite a large stone. However I would prefer it ns, I would also like it better if the clipped corners were emphasised. Hope this doesn’t cause offence.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Honest opinion, I think it is a beautiful stone, but it is drawing my eye across your finder width, instead of emphasizing the graceful length of your fingers. I wonder if you could cut out a paper diamond and lay it on your finger n/s to see if you like it better?

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
May I be honest? I don't love the e-w, but what do you think? Do you like a bezel look? If you did a faux bezel (or a real one, if you like them) set n-s, that would be a low maintenance ring that would not snag or catch on anything.

Help me understand bezel set tho— does it reduce light? Like why do we not see more of them? I love honesty. Lol never offended !

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
I don’t dislike it ew, I definitely think it gives a more low key look to quite a large stone. However I would prefer it ns, I would also like it better if the clipped corners were emphasised. Hope this doesn’t cause offence.

No - I asked for help, and nothing u said would have offended me anyways. Can you explain the clipped corners thing? Would that be like a double prong?? How would I do that?

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
I vote NS as well. I don't have super technical reasons why, but EW doesn't seem to service the stone well. I keep turning my head. I'm not seeing how EW would keep it out of your way more so than NS so practicality reasons aside, I would go with your instincts. Once you have the ring on day in and day out, you will adapt.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
Honest opinion, I think it is a beautiful stone, but it is drawing my eye across your finder width, instead of emphasizing the graceful length of your fingers. I wonder if you could cut out a paper diamond and lay it on your finger n/s to see if you like it better?

Right that’s what I’m seeing too. And technically I have long fingers so I didn’t think it would be an issue. But something is like not right with this but I can’t quite put my finger on it lol (almost like if I meant that as a pun but didn’t quite make it one ha)

But seriously— idk if it’s making my finger look wider in the process or what. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m going to try the paper thing. I already drew it on my hand when I was deciding and like the ew look. It just feels so high to me even though it’s in a low profile. But from my understanding the larger stones, have Depth to them.

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
5C4C2A30-078B-4B3D-B1F9-7FFBF0D54D74.jpeg Will it be higher than this? I want it lower. Is that possible?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
It can't be much lower than it is now. But I don't love the E/W orientation. I think it will look better and emphasize the stone and the awesome cut if it's NS.

But what you're saying you want makes me think of a simple bezel set with open basket (so you don't loose light performance) and very low set.

Like this https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...bezel-set-solitaire-ring-14k-white-gold_49881

Or f6eff3ee8348691c28b584094c986d7a--marquise-diamond-oval-diamond.jpg

Ok I’ll prob end up changing it to NS. I didn’t expect the stone to be so pretty. I feel like the setting doesn’t do it justice.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’ll prob end up changing it to NS. I didn’t expect the stone to be so pretty. I feel like the setting doesn’t do it justice.
I agree the setting doesn't do the stone Justice. And I really love simple bezels for emerald cuts

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Right that’s what I’m seeing too. And technically I have long fingers so I didn’t think it would be an issue. But something is like not right with this but I can’t quite put my finger on it lol (almost like if I meant that as a pun but didn’t quite make it one ha)

But seriously— idk if it’s making my finger look wider in the process or what. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m going to try the paper thing. I already drew it on my hand when I was deciding and like the ew look. It just feels so high to me even though it’s in a low profile. But from my understanding the larger stones, have Depth to them.

I think I see it. It is echoing the lines across the knuckle. Visual chop job. You have pretty fingers too. I like the size of the diamond very much. Maybe I can "photoshop" n/s for you.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
ringshop.png My shop skills are meh, but I love the ring in n/s!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a huge improvement. Somehow the e/w setting makes it (and your finger) look a bit stubby, which is a shame for such a beautiful stone (and given that your fingers are definitely not stubby).

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No - I asked for help, and nothing u said would have offended me anyways. Can you explain the clipped corners thing? Would that be like a double prong?? How would I do that?

I think your stone has beautiful clipped corners and a chunkier single prong makes it look rectangular (4 sides rather than 8). Dainty double prongs or an angular bezel would emphasise those corners.
368EF18D-4B87-472E-89A8-15864F861664.jpeg 3C5F4A84-BCF6-4C74-802A-979A6CD0062F.jpeg

Fsmu

Rough_Rock

I’m trying to like this. Is that the right size of the stone to my finger u think!?

Fsmu

Rough_Rock
I think I see it. It is echoing the lines across the knuckle. Visual chop job. You have pretty fingers too. I like the size of the diamond very much. Maybe I can "photoshop" n/s for you.

Also thank you my poor hands used to have manicures but now with the two toddlers - don’t have any time lol the kids want my ring now. The 20 month old “mommy pretty me see it”

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
the band of the mounting is so very skinny in relation to the size of the stone - I would prefer (for me) a split shank so visually where the band meets the stone the band is more in proportion to the size of the stone.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’m trying to like this. Is that the right size of the stone to my finger u think!?
Yes, it was not resized, just turned 90 degrees counter clockwise. It should be "real life" size.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think either E/W or N/S that setting needs to be a bit more. Especially in the E/W orientation. It almost looks like there isn't a ring there because your setting is so delicate and your stone is quite large. I think you can find a solitaire setting that gives it more of a "ring" look instead of just a diamond. That being said, with such a large EC it is probably pretty deep so keeping it low is a bit of a challenge. So perhaps the bezel setting above would solve your concerns.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wel it’s settled then!!! That’s what I’ll be doing. With double prongs!
NS looks amazing with that stone and I swear it looks bigger too.
If you want it to be as sleek as possible, maybe look at tab prongs instead of double claws? Who will do the setting for you?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m on the North South bandwagon as well, it really is a beautiful stone!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Fsmu -

Your current ring is my dream ring. i think it's absolutely stunning. Were it me, I wouldn't change a thing.

We're so used to seeing ECs set in a N/S manner, when we see one like yours, it's hard for our brains not to think "That stone has fallen over...." It's hard for us to 'see it' as it is, rather than as we think it should be. It's almost like one of those optical illusions whee you look at it and think "Is that a ladiy's face, or a vase??" You sort of have to look at it differently to see each one. Once you take a little while to get used to it tho, and can see it fully as an E/W setting, it takes your breath away. I looked at it for some time before my eyes suddenly 'saw' it - and it was like - WHAM! Anyway, all that to say, I love this ring and wouldn't change a thing.

But of course - YOU have to like it. I have to say, tho, going north south and adding prongs, side stones, detailed finishes, will make it MORE elaborate visually; the way it is at the moment is extremely low key and sturdy - and very easy to keep clean. It also has very few ways to catch on things or scratch a child, so you're good from that angle. In the final analysis - it's what you want that counts.

Just since I love it so much - would you pls share its specs? Ctw, dimensions, clarity and color please? I really do adore this ring!

And lastly - just a couple of photos of one of the truly GREAT east/west, emerald cut settings - and possibly my favorite setting of all time - the Laurel by Erika Winters: a classic, forever beautiful ring.

Laurel_1.jpeg

Laurel_2.jpeg

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your stone has beautiful clipped corners and a chunkier single prong makes it look rectangular (4 sides rather than 8). Dainty double prongs or an angular bezel would emphasise those corners.
368EF18D-4B87-472E-89A8-15864F861664.jpeg 3C5F4A84-BCF6-4C74-802A-979A6CD0062F.jpeg
I was thinking precisely this Erika winters design!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow
i love the east west thing going on
if it were me (id be so luckyo_O) id have a wider gold band but that's just me because i like wider bands
its really stunning and unusual to my eye and i love it
im so sorry you are alergic and need to change the setting
i do love the idea of side stones like what @agingsparkle showed us a beautiful example but your ring is already beautiful and stunning in its own right
but honestly who cares what any of us think
its your ring and its on your finger

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results