shape
carat
color
clarity

Another wildfire in California threatening my sister

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So remember last year the house they were going to buy burned down in the car fire two weeks before closing.

Today, my sister is at work, and my BIL left to go get the kids from school, and now they closed the highway so he can’t get back to go get their animals. :oops: There was no indication when he left that this would happen.

So now everyone is freaked out. I’m about to go search to see what is happening... I don’t want to keep calling her and stress them more, they have several cats (3 came with the house), chickens and 2 dogs that are inside the house.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:cry2: This is being far too frequent. I hope your sister and her family are okay and that their house and animals are spared!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear this! Pets are like family. I’m hoping for good news soon.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like, if I’m getting this right, that the fire is moving away from their home (which obviously is bad news for other people).

600 acres burned, 0% contained

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This fire name is Mountain Fire, now 1000 acres, 0% contained

45616DE4-078A-4364-ACE5-CF4B48410441.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH Whitewave! so danged sorry.. sending support your way... I am hoping that your sister's home is fine, a good friend of mine's son in Calif is training to be a firefighter for these types of fires.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH Whitewave! so danged sorry.. sending support your way... I am hoping that your sister's home is fine, a good friend of mine's son in Calif is training to be a firefighter for these types of fires.

Look at how it went today:
AE2E1ACB-DFEA-4F08-814F-4AB46AD97BD3.jpeg

They are south of the highway and it appears to be north of the highway, but she said it’s super windy today and could change direction easily.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, yes, they have to keep watch tonight. They are scared.
it must be dreadful
it scares me just seeing it on the news

last summer we had some big fires and one particular house survived because the owner had gone to a rural fire dept gardening talk a few years before and had planted what ever was recommended up around the house

its a terrible terrible thing these fires

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am relieved your sister made it home and all the animals are safe. I hope everyone remains safe and that all who are affected get out safely. So scary.

Thanks, yes, they have to keep watch tonight. They are scared.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am relieved your sister made it home and all the animals are safe. I hope everyone remains safe and that all who are affected get out safely. So scary.

Thanks, I just woke up so am tying to see what’s up with the fire.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they get out. As hard as it is, all the stuff can be replaced. After the Paradise Fire, all Californians should not doubt that again. It happens so often we can become a little lax in our attitude about them.

I hope everyone has a file or notebook with all their important documents and photos of the contents of their home that they can grab immediately. It also helps to have the majority of your photos stored in one place and a list of the things that you want to grab if you have to evacuate quickly. In a rush it’s easy to forget irreplaceable mementos. Keep them in the same spot. I have a list that I taped next to my desk with the locations and items.

I hope your sister and her family’s home is safe and the fire gets put out quickly.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I read they are getting the fire under control, hope your sister and family are feeling more relieved.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping everyone in y thoughts and hoping everyone gets out safely need be. (((Hugs))) and fire free wishes.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. I havent been able to get in touch with them today. I assume everything is ok, but I’ll feel better once I know.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nerve-wracking, arduous time for your sister and family (including those like you who are at a distance) and so many others -- how I hope it can soon be contained!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got in touch with both of them and they are feeling more relaxed about it for them. I think it’s getting contained today, or they have made a lot of progress, so that’s good, thank goodness.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad they are safe.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So scary. I’m glad everyone is feeling more relaxed and they are safe.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So scary. Every year I trace these huge fires, once it was in Eastern WA, once, in BC, for the last two years, it has been in California.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got in touch with both of them and they are feeling more relaxed about it for them. I think it’s getting contained today, or they have made a lot of progress, so that’s good, thank goodness.

Wonderful news @whitewave!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so frightening that the fire flared up in a half a day to the point where they couldn’t get back to the house.

They moved there for BIL’s job. Last year’s fire destroyed the physical plant, but they told him to move and that they would honor his one year contract with possibility for renewal and it was his dream job, so they uprooted from the Santa Cruz area (expensive) to this area (much more reasonable).

Then BIL found out in the spring that he doesn’t have a job because of the physical plant damage AND If the job came back in a year or two that he would had to re apply and wouldn’t automatically be given it back!!

My sister had been commuting to her job and staying with friends (she was making bank with that hospital). But it got old, so she just started this week with a closer hospital. (She is a RN).

And now with the fires, they are like “why are we here?” But they love their house and land and the kids are thriving in the new schools and the area is beautiful. She and my BIL haven’t really made friends (no neighbors really) etc

My sister was sounding fatigued last night with this close call. She is unsure of how many times she will be able to handle maybe not getting home in time to get the dogs, etc.

BIL doesn’t have a job yet either, but he can do things like Uber, etc. it’s been very demoralizing for him to have had his dream job and then to lose it to the fault only of Mother Nature.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so frightening that the fire flared up in a half a day to the point where they couldn’t get back to the house.

They moved there for BIL’s job. Last year’s fire destroyed the physical plant, but they told him to move and that they would honor his one year contract with possibility for renewal and it was his dream job, so they uprooted from the Santa Cruz area (expensive) to this area (much more reasonable).

Then BIL found out in the spring that he doesn’t have a job because of the physical plant damage AND If the job came back in a year or two that he would had to re apply and wouldn’t automatically be given it back!!

My sister had been commuting to her job and staying with friends (she was making bank with that hospital). But it got old, so she just started this week with a closer hospital. (She is a RN).

And now with the fires, they are like “why are we here?” But they love their house and land and the kids are thriving in the new schools and the area is beautiful. She and my BIL haven’t really made friends (no neighbors really) etc

My sister was sounding fatigued last night with this close call. She is unsure of how many times she will be able to handle maybe not getting home in time to get the dogs, etc.

BIL doesn’t have a job yet either, but he can do things like Uber, etc. it’s been very demoralizing for him to have had his dream job and then to lose it to the fault only of Mother Nature.

I love California, and I think it has great potential, but these fires. The fact that they happen in the north, too, and even in Canada, might indicate not mismanagement of forests by California, like many have been posting, in different outlets, but a much more scary thing, global warming in full swing. I am concerned that the expanding human biomass has created a huge problem for this planet. The fires occur everywhere on this planet where there is something to burn. Amazon, Siberia, you name it.

Too bad that amidst the pieces of dirt thrown by the candidates at each other, the position of my governor, Jay Inslee, whose program is ecology-based, has not been heard. He is not the greatest speaker, Jay is, sadly, but he is right, and I am afraid that we humans are totally losing the momentum. :(

ETA: @whitewave , I feel for your relatives. It seems that the jobs are in the states where the cost of living is prohibitive, and areas that are still affordable have few jobs. Good luck to your family!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for everyone and everything that comes in the path of these fires. I hope your family continues to stay safe...scary.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nature is revolting against us. I feel very sorry for the animals as they perish in wildfires, and don’t know where to turn. It, too, is our responsibility.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2019/8/22/20828219/amazon-rainforest-wildfire-photos-fire-greenland

(Checked the campaign that I almost stopped following. The newspapers called Inslee’s single-issue platform “quixotic”. As to the rest of our candidates, environment is nr 17 on the list of their concerns. One day it will come close to their homes...)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope they get it put out soon! So glad they are ok. It is a very unsettling feeling to be in the midst of a fire in your area. Thinking of them and hoping they can be done with this fire soon!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. I haven’t checked today, but hopefully it is put out soon.

Yeah, freaky deaky things are happening with our planet and as an aside, I’m getting very tired of hearing of people who killed themselves. It’s like 1-2 a week now. (My 34 year old BIL killed himself nearly a year ago).

I don’t know what is going on in our world. It can be hard to remain hopeful and positive when all of this craziness is happening.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results