shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused after purchase - opinions welcome!

SD9935

Rough_Rock
I am hoping someone can give me an honest opinion as to whether the specs of the diamond I recently purchased (not yet received) will result in a diamond that sparkles and has fire and brilliance when it is set in a six prong solitaire. It is always hard to tell via an online photo. This is for an engagement ring I recently purchased. Specs below.
I appreciate any opinions!

GIA graded, cut polish symmetry all excellent; I color with strong blue fluorescence; vs2 clarity; no marks on GIA plot but clarity grade due to internal graining which didn’t seem to be noticeable via the photo; table 57; 33%x41.6%; 3.05 ct

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a slim chance it could be impacted by the fluorescence in a negative way ie look like it is slightly cloudy or straining to sparkle in some lighting conditions and sometimes in a small number of diamond the internal graining can impact them too. Having said that it's a slim chance, when you get it have a good look to see if it seems bright and sparkly and clean and clear in all lighting conditions, then other than it getting dirty you should have no issues.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the depth? Did you run it through the HCA calculator?

SD9935

Rough_Rock
Depth is 62.7%
It’s a cool tool - came back as average. Size is 9.23x9.26x5.8 mm. Everything was good and the last parameter was very good.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Depth is 62.7%
It’s a cool tool - came back as average. Size is 9.23x9.26x5.8 mm. Everything was good and the last parameter was very good.

What did it score on the HCA tool ?
What are the measurements for the Crown and Pavillion?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are not proportions I'd recommend.

Too deep. Don't like the shallow crown. What worries me most is the 41.6 pavilion. There is a critical angle where light leaks, and around 41.2+ things get wonky.

All factors combined, if you were to see an ASET or IS image you'd see some leakage.

Screenshot_20190821-222347_Sheets.jpg

SD9935

Rough_Rock
It was 3.7 - and crown angle is 33%, pavilion is 41.6%

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The HCA 3.7 score is pretty much confirming what I said above except in numerical lingo.

You want a stone with an HCA that is 2 or less. Maybe a 2.5 but those are extremely rare cases and where stones exhibit superior symmetry and cutting.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But at least you can return or exchange for a better cut stone.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry to give you bad news but anything that scores over 2 on the HCA you should reject and as Sledge pointed out there will probably be light leakage so light performance will suffer.

SD9935

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh definitely don't buy this stone. Anything over 2 on the HCA is a "reject"

Shoot. Just realized you already bought it. I would return for a better cut.

srke

Shiny_Rock
I would also be worried about the "no marks on GIA plot but clarity grade due to internal graining" and whether it will have any effect on the appearance

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results