shape
carat
color
clarity

help down the home stretch

iPat

Rough_Rock
hello all -
I have been perusing this site for 6 months or so and I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a diamond. I have narrowed my selection down to three options, and I was hoping to get some final insight on my choices to get me across the finish line:
1.22 J VS1
1.22 arrows.jpg 1.22 asset scope.jpg 1.22 hearts.jpg 1.22 ideal scope.jpg 1.22 report.PNG

1.24 I VS2
1.24 arrows.jpg 1.24 asset scope.jpg 1.24 hearts.jpg 1.24 ideal scope.jpg 1.24 report.PNG

and the 1.27 I VS2 in the next post . . .

iPat

Rough_Rock
1.27 I VS2
1.27 asset scope.PNG 1.27 hearts.PNG 1.27 ideal scope.PNG 1.27 report.PNG

I have found all of the insight provided to other posters invaluable as I knew next to nothing when my search began, and I really appreciate any help that you all can provide me as I finalize my decision.

Thanks again!

(I am going with a yellow gold band with gold, not two toned, prongs, so the color is not the deal breaker on my selection, which is why I have J and I selections)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am leaning towards #3, do you have any videos of the the stones in question?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these super ideal cuts from HPD? If yes, you can pick any and they'll be amazing :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #2.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 and #3 are my favorite I think.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First two appear to be HPD and the third appears to be WF. Both vendors are excellent with similar trade in and customer service excellence. Also both focus on super ideal stones as evidenced in the photos.

Before we go any further, let's be clear -- ALL these diamonds are winners and great choices. The differences will all be minor and probably comes down to what your eyes appreciate the most or brain feels is the most perfect (even if your eyes can't see it because these are all very, very similar).

On the first two I prefer the I color over J, but suspect the dollars make them almost a wash as the I has VS2 clarity, whereas the J is a VS1. If the dollars are the same and a side by side comparison reveals no color difference to YOUR eyes I'd prefer the VS1 clarity. That said, clarity is graded at 10x and most people (myself included) appreciate a color bump over clarity they can't see with their naked eyes.

All have 76 LGF and relatively small tables -- 54.9 to 56.2. Stars are 51 on the J and 52 on the two I's. Crowns range from 34.4 to 34.6 and pavilions from 40.6 to 40.8.

Because of the slightly smaller tables and steeper pavilions, you can see the crown heights push to 15.4 on the first two choices, whereas the third is 15.2.

Also because of proportions and slightly more carat weight, you see the third stone is a little more "squatty" and has about 0.10mm size advantage over the first two -- approximately 6.90mm vs 7.00mm diameter. It normally takes about 0.20mm (approx 1/256th inch) for normal human eyes to detect a size difference. So while bigger, it's likely not detectable to most people and certainly not a memorable difference in a situation where they aren't side by side.

While I think the difference is minimal I prefer the smaller tables and 15.4 crown heights. Also I prefer the 40.7 and 40.8 pavilions better with these crown angles. I think you will get slighty more fire out of them. And while I do like VS1 clarity I feel VS2 is more than sufficient and I would appreciate the color bump more.

All factors considered, #2 would be my choice out of them.

While I am sure TOTAL dollars is near identical on the stones, I would be curious what the $/CARAT is for each stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results