shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

ADA77D7E-3ECE-416E-94F8-B1F620BD1C35.jpeg Ok.. i’m trying to get my eyes around this..
I think I might have made a mistake getting double prongs. Either that or my ratios with the side stones vs centre are off —- what do you think?
I’m sure the difference won’t be as noticeable when it’s here and flashing beauty at me from my hands but it looks way more different to the inspo ring than I had planned.
Why didn’t I just copy the original exactly !? Lol.
Urrrgh. I dunno if I like it as much. The contrast in heights between centre and sides doesn’t seem as dramatic as they are on the inspiration ring.
The centre is definitely the correct size so perhaps it’s the sides..
centre is 12x8mm and the moons 6x4 I didn’t think the 5x3’s were large enough.. but i’m thinking that’s what they are.
It’s just not as delicate — the whole thing is a little more bulky than I’d intended but in saying that it’s VERY magnified so maybe it’s not a thing in person.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
ADA77D7E-3ECE-416E-94F8-B1F620BD1C35.jpeg Ok.. i’m trying to get my eyes around this..
I think I might have made a mistake getting double prongs. Either that or my ratios with the side stones vs centre are off —- what do you think?
I’m sure the difference won’t be as noticeable when it’s here and flashing beauty at me from my hands but it looks way more different to the inspo ring than I had planned.
Urrrgh. I dunno if I like it as much. The contrast in heights between centre and sides doesn’t seem as dramatic as they are on the inspiration ring.
centre is 12x8mm and the moons 6x4 I didn’t think the 5x3’s were large enough.. but i’m thinking that’s what they are.
It’s just not as delicate — the whole thing is a little more bulky than I’d intended but in saying that it’s VERY magnified so maybe it’s not a thing in person.
First off, I think it looks gorgeous. I can see what you’re saying about the ratio, but also you can’t see the band at all the way they’re holding it in the pic, and I wonder if that doesn’t make it look bulkier than it really is because you can only see the largest part? I will also say that I really like the double claw prongs. I think they look a little ‘extra’ in a good way. I really hope it will be everything you want when you get it in person.

:kiss2:
First off, I think it looks gorgeous. I can see what you’re saying about the ratio, but also you can’t see the band at all the way they’re holding it in the pic, and I wonder if that doesn’t make it look bulkier than it really is because you can only see the largest part? I will also say that I really like the double claw prongs. I think they look a little ‘extra’ in a good way. I really hope it will be everything you want when you get it in person.

Thanks for the reassurance :) the more I look at it the more I like it. It’s growing on me.
I think the prongs on the original ring were very tiny too which is an aesthetic I enjoy but not overly practical and I want the stones to be secure so all in all I think i made the right design choices... we’ll see soon enough when it arrives I suppose !!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
CAD feedback please!
Inspiration:
Emerald 3-stone.jpg
CAD:
9FB5FD99-93F0-40B9-BC27-D7790DBC67E9.jpeg

I asked for pointy prongs on the center, and I’m happy with that. I also asked for 6 prongs on the sides, but I’m wondering if I should go to 8 or if that will look too crowded. Also wondering if I should have the prongs oriented so the top prongs are at 11 and 1 rather than at 12 o’clock. To me, I find that makes them look less noticeable. Finally, I’m going to have at least the side stone basket/prongs done in white gold, like the inspiration. Should they be able to do that, or will I have to do the whole head in WG?

Other feedback is also welcome! With Tianyu, my ring didn’t turn out quite as hoped because I misread the CAD so trying to examine it extra closely this time.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I had Cherry’s contact saved in my phone from when I was messaging her previously. It’s +86 189 7748 6191
I think the WhatsApp is fine because she responded with the usual ‘don’t worry’ LOL! I only worry because I have to answers all the messages when it doesn’t work! She said it is fixed now. I haven’t heard anymore now on reddit so hopefully it is ok.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
CAD feedback please!
Inspiration:
Emerald 3-stone.jpg
CAD:
9FB5FD99-93F0-40B9-BC27-D7790DBC67E9.jpeg

I asked for pointy prongs on the center, and I’m happy with that. I also asked for 6 prongs on the sides, but I’m wondering if I should go to 8 or if that will look too crowded. Also wondering if I should have the prongs oriented so the top prongs are at 11 and 1 rather than at 12 o’clock. To me, I find that makes them look less noticeable. Finally, I’m going to have at least the side stone basket/prongs done in white gold, like the inspiration. Should they be able to do that, or will I have to do the whole head in WG?

Other feedback is also welcome! With Tianyu, my ring didn’t turn out quite as hoped because I misread the CAD so trying to examine it extra closely this time.
Before I respond, what was wrong on the Tianyu CAD that made you not like the ring?

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Before I respond, what was wrong on the Tianyu CAD that made you not like the ring?
I thought the CAD showed shared prong side stones inside a thin rail (because that’s how I interpreted the inspiration pic), but it turned out that they were channel set. I didn’t notice until the ring was done, and when I asked about it, Ella referred to the CAD, and she was right. It wasn’t apparent to me until she said it that they were channel set on the CAD. I still have the ring and wear it, but it isn’t exactly what I was going for.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the CAD showed shared prong side stones inside a thin rail (because that’s how I interpreted the inspiration pic), but it turned out that they were channel set. I didn’t notice until the ring was done, and when I asked about it, Ella referred to the CAD, and she was right. It wasn’t apparent to me until she said it that they were channel set on the CAD. I still have the ring and wear it, but it isn’t exactly what I was going for.
Can you upload the old CAD? Just curious... wanted to see how they did the sides compared to this one. Your new one is very similar to the oval I did but I had pears so the side baskets were different.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Can you upload the old CAD? Just curious... wanted to see how they did the sides compared to this one. Your new one is very similar to the oval I did but I had pears so the side baskets were different.
Oh sure, the one I did with Tianyu was just a round solitaire with small side stones, so a bit different than this one. Not sure why the image quality looks SO terrible (much better if you click to enlarge it), but here it is:
038fba28226afb6d693414e0b76f495.jpg
It was totally my bad on the side stones. As soon as she said they were channel set on the CAD, it seemed super obvious.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sure, the one I did with Tianyu was just a round solitaire with small side stones, so a bit different than this one. Not sure why the image quality looks SO terrible (much better if you click to enlarge it), but here it is:
038fba28226afb6d693414e0b76f495.jpg
It was totally my bad on the side stones. As soon as she said they were channel set on the CAD, it seemed super obvious.
I see... I mean it would be hard to know that they were channel set unless they actually told you or you looked at CAD’s a lot! LOL!

I do like the prong orientation if you stick with 6 prongs. I think it will look a little strange from the profile with the prong arms coming off the stone and they were not centered. If you go to 8 prongs, it would probably be balanced wit 2 on each side of the stone on the profile so it would look fine. The rest of the measurements are good. It looks like a very durable setting. I just can’t tell what the profile on your inspiration looks like. Do you have any pictures of that too? The 8 prongs look so dainty and cute on the inspiration pic but I know you said your stones are much smaller.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I see... I mean it would be hard to know that they were channel set unless they actually told you or you looked at CAD’s a lot! LOL!

I do like the prong orientation if you stick with 6 prongs. I think it will look a little strange from the profile with the prong arms coming off the stone and they were not centered. If you go to 8 prongs, it would probably be balanced wit 2 on each side of the stone on the profile so it would look fine. The rest of the measurements are good. It looks like a very durable setting. I just can’t tell what the profile on your inspiration looks like. Do you have any pictures of that too? The 8 prongs look so dainty and cute on the inspiration pic but I know you said your stones are much smaller.
I have a pic of sort of a side profile, but there was no straight-up shot of the gallery.
D0B7F002-0313-4F26-AF8E-A6A33159EEC3.jpeg
Looks like there’s a small cathedral here, but I didn’t even send this pic. I assumed they’d do a simple basket setting, and I’m fine with that. Do you think they could do only the moissanite basket/prongs in white gold, or would I have to do all three stones set in white gold and just the band in yellow? I definitely want two-tone, but I like the yellow gold with the emerald itself. I may have to ask Sue. You made a good point about the orientation of the prongs—I’ll leave them as-is. I love all the tiny prongs on the inspo ring, but I’m concerned about them being thicker than on the antique, and yeah, the stones are smaller, so I’ll probably stick with 6. I’m getting a moissanite from shinyprecious and will probably get DK to make a setting, so I’ll use that opportunity to do something more refined.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t mind the ratio’s at all with the side stones. Sometimes i really like the idea of a larger center with smaller sides. Gemstones never look as big in person so it might look more proportionate when you receive it. I have to say that the double claw prong’s are not my fav. I really think double claw only work on squarer stones and single claw should be on ovals. I don’t think it would be very hard for them to fix before mailing it if you are not crazy about them either. I know it is always hard when you can’t see these things in person!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pic of sort of a side profile, but there was no straight-up shot of the gallery.
D0B7F002-0313-4F26-AF8E-A6A33159EEC3.jpeg
Looks like there’s a small cathedral here, but I didn’t even send this pic. I assumed they’d do a simple basket setting, and I’m fine with that. Do you think they could do only the moissanite basket/prongs in white gold, or would I have to do all three stones set in white gold and just the band in yellow? I definitely want two-tone, but I like the yellow gold with the emerald itself. I may have to ask Sue. You made a good point about the orientation of the prongs—I’ll leave them as-is. I love all the tiny prongs on the inspo ring, but I’m concerned about them being thicker than on the antique, and yeah, the stones are smaller, so I’ll probably stick with 6. I’m getting a moissanite from shinyprecious and will probably get DK to make a setting, so I’ll use that opportunity to do something more refined.
I have seen it with yellow in the center for the colored stone and then white gold or platinum for the side stones and shank. I don’t know if I have seen it with yellow, white and then yellow. I think that might be too many breaks in the gold for them to put together because there needs to be an area where they can make the transition. I know a more skilled jeweler can do this because I did it with one of my rings by cutting the shank in half with two colors. I tried to google some examples but I can’t find anything. Doesn’t hurt to ask but you would probably need to draw some lines on a pic to show them. I really think it looks fine with all yellow gold though.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I have seen it with yellow in the center for the colored stone and then white gold or platinum for the side stones and shank. I don’t know if I have seen it with yellow, white and then yellow. I think that might be too many breaks in the gold for them to put together because there needs to be an area where they can make the transition. I know a more skilled jeweler can do this because I did it with one of my rings by cutting the shank in half with two colors. I tried to google some examples but I can’t find anything. Doesn’t hurt to ask but you would probably need to draw some lines on a pic to show them. I really think it looks fine with all yellow gold though.
Yeah, that’s a good point about the transition...a two-tone head/basket might even look a little odd. I appreciate all the feedback!

I don’t mind the ratio’s at all with the side stones. Sometimes i really like the idea of a larger center with smaller sides. Gemstones never look as big in person so it might look more proportionate when you receive it. I have to say that the double claw prong’s are not my fav. I really think double claw only work on squarer stones and single claw should be on ovals. I don’t think it would be very hard for them to fix before mailing it if you are not crazy about them either. I know it is always hard when you can’t see these things in person!

I’ve always always wanted double prong so i’ll wait till it arrives .. worst case scenario i’ll have my jewellery fix it here if I want to change it. I think given the size of the main stone the extra security is probably worth it. I’ll give it 6 months to see if it grows on me if not i’ll Have it worked on.

veridot

Rough_Rock
Just a note about communications - if anyone is having trouble with Whatsapp or experiencing delay, Wechat is actually a better app to go through! Whatsapp is blocked in China so they have to use a VPN to use it, whereas Wechat is the main method of communication there. I think they encourage the use of Whatsapp because that's more internationally used, but if you don't use Whatsapp to begin with it's probably better to download and use Wechat instead. This is how I communicated with Grace, and now Sue.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
CFE133AF-B5CC-49E0-A381-55854FE401EB.jpeg
I am in LOVE. This is definitely my absolute favourite ring from starsgem. I love the double prongs as well. So thrilled.
It looks AMAZE! Glad everything turned out with all the details and you love it!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I finally paid the invoice for my loose stones :lol: I decided to go with SG over Tianyu because I don’t like how Tianyu has jacked up their prices so much. Not a good way to gain business IMO, plus SG has really upped their game with the H&A cut!

I got a 6.5mm center stone and two 5mm side stones. All H&A and all IJ, so I’m excited to see how the color is IRL. I told Lucy I wanted videos before they ship, but I’m not holding my breath. I know they’re really bad about that. If they skip that step I’ll still be sure to post when I get them so anyone thinking about IJ can see how much of a tint they have. I’ve only seen a couple on here since DEF and GH are WAY more common, and the IJs were set already I believe. I can flip them over on white paper too for anyone that’s interested.

They’re being custom cut to have the thick arrows so it might be a bit before I get them.

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
771D562E-DC90-4874-A06F-03FD704519C0.jpeg
Just saw this on their IG page, promotion H & A cut 7.5mm DEF color, only $ 38,-
If anyone is interested.

Rosebys

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I would love some opinions on the price I paid. After speaking with a few people I feel like I overpaid?

Here is the CAD for my two rings (engagement ring and wedding band): https://imgur.com/a/0IHnmAq

Specs for Engagement Ring:
- 9mm H&A Round Moissanite
- Platinum 0.950
- Lab diamonds in the pave and halo

Cost: $1,100

Specs for Wedding Band:
- 2.2mm Lab Diamonds
- Eternity band

Cost: $480

I would love your thoughts. When I got my first CAD she told me my engagement ring would be $930 but after six CAD changes the final cost was $1100

I'm not upset at all though, my engagement ring is PERFECT. I did have an issue with the wedding band, it was way too thick/wide so I had to get it remade. Starsgem was nice enough to make me a new one with a $100 discount, so I paid $380 for the new wedding band. It still isn't perfect and I regret not having them make the two rings together in one single CAD, I thought they would have automatically ensured they fit together and were the same thickness but they did not. That was my only issue.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@Rosebys the price doesn’t seem off considering you went with platinum, lab diamonds and a sizable center stone. If you look at the CAD for your engagement ring, the weight of the metal is quite substantial, and a 9 mm moissanite alone from another vendor like Brillant Earth would be more expensive than your entire ring was. I’d love to see pictures! After all, it’s only a deal if you received a quality piece you will enjoy wearing for a long time.
Regarding the band, while the price isn’t bad, you may want to order a few “fun” bands from amazon or try some on at a local jeweler to get an idea of what’s comfortable for you. I’d love a sizable eternity band, but I know it’s not practical for my everyday wear so I stick to mostly 2/3rd bands with smaller (2 to 3 mm) stones.

Rosebys

Rough_Rock
@Rosebys the price doesn’t seem off considering you went with platinum, lab diamonds and a sizable center stone. If you look at the CAD for your engagement ring, the weight of the metal is quite substantial, and a 9 mm moissanite alone from another vendor like Brillant Earth would be more expensive than your entire ring was. I’d love to see pictures! After all, it’s only a deal if you received a quality piece you will enjoy wearing for a long time.
Regarding the band, while the price isn’t bad, you may want to order a few “fun” bands from amazon or try some on at a local jeweler to get an idea of what’s comfortable for you. I’d love a sizable eternity band, but I know it’s not practical for my everyday wear so I stick to mostly 2/3rd bands with smaller (2 to 3 mm) stones.

Thanks for the response! I thought I got a decent deal and again, love my ring so I'm not complaining. I was just shocked to find out different reps charge different prices. I ask this because someone else paid way less than me for almost the same thing.

Their CAD (second photo): https://imgur.com/a/yK2ein8

The platinum weight is the same total (mine is actually 0.3g less), they used lab diamonds for the pave/halo. Only main difference is that my center moissanite is bigger. But they paid $1030 total for both rings! That is a $550 price difference here. I was just shocked is all and wish they were more transparent about their prices.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@Rosebys I’m with you on the pricing! I heard Demi was one of the more affordable ones to work with. I had two rings made with her and both were beautiful and within my budget ❤️ Now that she’s sick/on leave, I’m putting my moissanite projects on hold.
Nevertheless, if you’re happy with your ring, just wear and enjoy- comparison is the thief of joy.

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
@Rosebys, you are not the only one. Someone I knew paid $530 for a band with 6.5gm of platinum with about 30+ lab diamonds, while I got a quote for a setting with 4.5 grams of 14k gold and 10 lab diamonds for $528. Their center stone pricing also differs from rep to rep too, which is annoying.

In any case, what's most important is that you love your ring. Wear it in good health!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the response! I thought I got a decent deal and again, love my ring so I'm not complaining. I was just shocked to find out different reps charge different prices. I ask this because someone else paid way less than me for almost the same thing.

Their CAD (second photo): https://imgur.com/a/yK2ein8

The platinum weight is the same total (mine is actually 0.3g less), they used lab diamonds for the pave/halo. Only main difference is that my center moissanite is bigger. But they paid $1030 total for both rings! That is a $550 price difference here. I was just shocked is all and wish they were more transparent about their prices.

That’s a big gap! The quotes I got from both Demi and Lucy for the same loose stones and the same ring were very close in price. Maybe I just got lucky, but Lucy has been great to work with so far.

Rosebys

Rough_Rock
For those wondering I worked with Silvia while the other person with the much lower quote worked with Cherry! Silvia was amazing to work with and I don't regret it for my first moissanite purchase, she was super patient and caring. But in the future, I will definitely contact at least two reps and get quotes to cross reference...

fayewolf

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I was recently introduced to the world of moissanite! At first, I was very drawn to the Tiffany Soleste, with a simple delicate halo design (Oval). Then i started doing more research and discovered hidden halo!

• I am wanting to get a 1.5ct size, so 8.5x6.5? I'm unsure if these are standard sizes?
  • I'm also confused of all the cuts. don't think i will go with crushed ice as i am worried about milky. IS there a difference between diamond and briliant cut? what about H&A?
  • Band size (shank??, the part where it goes around your finger), i like dainty but not to a point of warping. Do i have to specify the lab diamond sizes on the band? I have no idea how to find out what size band, but will try to go to a store like Tiffany but will they have the size of the band? isn't it weird to ask that?
  • Do i need to specifiy color? DEC is the whitest, yes?
Is sending the video to them and picture sufficient? i am nervous as i have no idea how to read the CAD.

Any help is appreciated!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally ordered a stone for my yg solitaire. I went through ebay, I didn't even realize there may be an other way. Of course, I'm already second guessing myself about the shape I ordered, the size I ordered. This is why it took me over two months to go ahead and do it!
Anyway, in a couple weeks, I hope to have my 1 carat elongated cushion. Fingers crossed I don't wish I'd gone with the marquise once it arrives.

fayewolf

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I was recently introduced to the world of moissanite! At first, I was very drawn to the Tiffany Soleste, with a simple delicate halo design (Oval). Then i started doing more research and discovered hidden halo!

• I am wanting to get a 1.5ct size, so 8.5x6.5? I'm unsure if these are standard sizes?
  • I'm also confused of all the cuts. don't think i will go with crushed ice as i am worried about milky. IS there a difference between diamond and briliant cut? what about H&A?
  • Band size (shank??, the part where it goes around your finger), i like dainty but not to a point of warping. Do i have to specify the lab diamond sizes on the band? I have no idea how to find out what size band, but will try to go to a store like Tiffany but will they have the size of the band? isn't it weird to ask that?
  • Do i need to specifiy color? DEC is the whitest, yes?
Is sending the video to them and picture sufficient? i am nervous as i have no idea how to read the CAD.

Any help is appreciated!

• This is the response i got back- want to make sure i specify everything i want to avoid issues:
  • Material is 14k white gold
  • Ring band width is 1.8mm (do i need to watch out for the CAD to be thicker to get to 1.8??)
  • Main stone is oval brilliant cut (still debating if this is the right cut, i dont want to take chance on milky, but is the diamond cut also good?) 9x6 (i think it's too big for my size 4 finger), what do you think?
  • Side stones are 16 pieces 1.5mm lab diamonds with DEF color and clarity vs . (i think this is too little stone? I want it to go 3/4 of the way around the band, but not eternity
  • Halo stones are 52 pieces 1.0mm lab grown diamonds with DEF color and VS (seems like a ton of stones for the double layer but i could be wrong)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results