shape
carat
color
clarity

My 4.5 carat old mine cut

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
18C868C5-B837-49AF-8316-FBE88E621491.jpeg D42A0493-9B05-48D5-9E18-4DF13F187617.jpeg D1BE52B9-9382-4B70-81F4-E22E689B0D5D.jpeg 3D9D9F9C-5827-4E7D-9145-D064E05127A1.jpeg Hello all! I’m a new member but always browsed the site. I wanted to post a few pictures of my engagement ring (got engaged Friday :kiss2: so i just got it ). It is a 4.53 carat K color VS2 old mine cut. I told my fiancé that I wanted an antique diamond; however, I did not do my research and did not understand that many of the larger stones are in the lower color grades. I always loved the chunkier facets and the look of them- I also love that they are a bit more rugged and imperfect but for some reason the fact that mine is a K and looks a bit warmer in some lighting is making me feel a little insecure about it. Otherwise I love it so much so I suppose I shouldn’t care? I also didn’t expect a diamond that is as big as this! He compared this one to a 2 carat antique “style” g color and I’m wondering if that would have been a better choice. I feel like I really would have wanted one that is authentically old. Anyway, here are some pics I would love to know your thoughts:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Wow it's gorgeous!! I just love the setting, color, shape - everything! I think it looks perfect on your finger.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:drool:To address the color issue, I’m color sensitive, so I’m not crazy about I/J/k (though I have oec earrings that are j and k and I love them)...

But

I would totally make myself happy with a 4 carat K ring. There is nothing wrong with it.

Talk to us again if it still bothers you in a month. Is there a return period?

EC8

Shiny_Rock
So, is this about you/your feelings about your diamond/ring or what others will think?
Some background - I traded in a E color emerald cut diamond for a M color OEC and 2 years in, I couldn’t be happier/no regrets.
The easy answer for others is - it’s an antique stone.
If it is about you, it’s always a compromise, and only you can determine which of the c’s are the most important for you.
For what it’s worth, from one old cut owner to another, your diamond is beautiful and looks lovely on your hand.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is perfect but you sound unsure. You have to be comfortable with it. It’s truly gorgeous though IMO. Maybe give it a bit of time to fall completely head over heels in love. Congratulations on your engagement ♥️

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning :love: Personally I wouldn't trade that for smaller/whiter....but ultimately YOU need to love it.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is absolutely stunning, but as @GliderPoss said, YOU need to love it. But for me, I would wear that beauty, no doubt about it!! Congrats on your engagement!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.M.G. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: The faceting is amazing on that boulder! Talk about dream ring!!! I would love and adore this diamond but what matters is whether you're comfy with it. I embrace color with antique stones because the warmth is historically "accurate," but there's no right answer to this because it's so personal. If you're not digging the K color, perhaps you could look into higher color modern antique OMCs (diamonds that are cut today to resemble antique cuts).

Congrats on getting engaged!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the engagement! keep the ring it's beautiful..

hunde

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is breathtaking and it looks huge & beautiful on your finger. A true antique gem :kiss2:

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
@EC8 I think you hit the nail on the head! I am worried about what others will think. I love old things and love the history of this diamond (fiance was told it came from a European estate, seems so romantic if that's true). I need to do as you said and just say its an antique diamond and not care what other people think because I truly do love it. I think what prompted my insecurity was that some girl at work asked me if it was a Tanzinite :angryfire:...she probably did that on purpose anyway.

Thank you all so much for your kind words! Aside from it being beautiful, it is the one my fiance chose for me and I love him very much so despite my insecurities about that color. it should be more about what it signifies for me and how beautiful I think it is- not what other people think of the diamond.

Thank you all again- I feel a lot better ! I am grateful to be loved enough to have such a special ring on my finger :kiss2: I feel bad I even doubted it!

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
O.M.G. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: The faceting is amazing on that boulder! Talk about dream ring!!! I would love and adore this diamond but what matters is whether you're comfy with it. I embrace color with antique stones because the warmth is historically "accurate," but there's no right answer to this because it's so personal. If you're not digging the K color, perhaps you could look into higher color modern antique OMCs (diamonds that are cut today to resemble antique cuts).

Congrats on getting engaged!!
Thank you so much ! You're right- it is historically accurate. This made me feel better. He looked at a 2.5 carat modern OMC D diamond and said it was a lot whiter but lacked the character and he knew I would want it to be authentically old, which is true I guess its just something I never thought through so the warmer color is taking some getting used to.

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
It's stunning :love: Personally I wouldn't trade that for smaller/whiter....but ultimately YOU need to love it.
Thank you! You are right- not trading it. Just need to get used to the warmer color!

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
:drool:To address the color issue, I’m color sensitive, so I’m not crazy about I/J/k (though I have oec earrings that are j and k and I love them)...

But

I would totally make myself happy with a 4 carat K ring. There is nothing wrong with it.

Talk to us again if it still bothers you in a month. Is there a return period?

I guess I am color sensitive too! I compared it to some whiter diamonds I have and some doubt came over me but I am going to try to get used to the warmer color. It really is a very pretty and unique stone!

MDS81686

Rough_Rock
I think it is perfect but you sound unsure. You have to be comfortable with it. It’s truly gorgeous though IMO. Maybe give it a bit of time to fall completely head over heels in love. Congratulations on your engagement ♥️

Thank you so much, that is just want I am going to do! Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s gorgeous. Romantic and yummy and filled with old world charm. Having said that *you* must adore it.

As for what others think I would tell you to think about it like this. Live your life as you enjoy and see fit and do not worry about what others think. A wise person once said what others think of me is none of my business. Truth.

Good luck and congratulations and if you decide you’re in love with your gorgeous diamond enjoy and cherish it. It’s a piece of history and a piece of art. You can rock it if you adore it. And all the best on your engagement!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@EC8 I think you hit the nail on the head! I am worried about what others will think. I love old things and love the history of this diamond (fiance was told it came from a European estate, seems so romantic if that's true). I need to do as you said and just say its an antique diamond and not care what other people think because I truly do love it. I think what prompted my insecurity was that some girl at work asked me if it was a Tanzinite :angryfire:...she probably did that on purpose anyway.

Thank you all so much for your kind words! Aside from it being beautiful, it is the one my fiance chose for me and I love him very much so despite my insecurities about that color. it should be more about what it signifies for me and how beautiful I think it is- not what other people think of the diamond.

Thank you all again- I feel a lot better ! I am grateful to be loved enough to have such a special ring on my finger :kiss2: I feel bad I even doubted it!

Tanzanite!!!! She clearly knows nothing about gems.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It’s amazing! Perfect and incredibly beautiful!
Congratulations and please add more pics!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's absolutely stunning, and for what it's worth the color looks very buttery and regal with your skin tone. Also, I predict you're going to have SO MUCH FUN finding a wedding band to go with!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming back to ogle this beauty some more. :geek2: I absolutely love the full-round simple yellow gold band. It's just so perfect with your stone! Will you be keeping this setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results