shape
carat
color
clarity

VS1 or eye clean SI1?

Linny

Shiny_Rock
98B804AF-C076-44EC-8194-EEDA17A42774.jpeg 17D44DBA-0AA7-4E6E-9858-16ACBCAEB7CF.jpeg 0EE83B85-BFD6-451F-9160-6E1B81E83302.jpeg I keep waffling back and forth with this decision and I’m wondering if anyone has any insight? I’m deciding between 2 ideal cut stones. They are the same size and same color grade (although one has slightly more color but still within the same grade). One is a VS1 and one is an SI1. The SI1 has some clear crystals/cloud under the table but it is 100% eye clean. It is also has a hair less color so even though it’s the same color grade it’s slightly better color. The VS1 costs 17% more. See pics of the SI1. Do you think it’s worth it to pay the difference for the VS1?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the GCAL logo in the bottom corner and the fact you are looking at ideal cut stones, I am going to say these are both CBI/HPD stones, correct?

IMO, this matters. Mainly because both the cutter (CBI) and the retailer (HPD) carefully vets the stones for imperfections. If they say the stone is eye clean, then I believe it. They are a trustworthy vendor that will shoot you straight, even if it is detrimental to the sale of a specific stone.

However, I do believe you need to understand their definition of eye clean as there is no "industry standard" and it can vary slightly from vendor to vendor. But this definition seems pretty common with many of the super ideal vendors we recommend.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/whyus/whyus-faqdetail/60

Our "Eye-Clean" definition, which applies to all Crafted by Infinity diamonds: No characteristics visible to a person with normal 20/20 vision viewing the diamond in the face-up position, at a distance of 25cm (10 inches), under normal overhead lighting.

If you feel you have a condition that warrants more stringent criteria, then you need to clearly communicate that to HPD, or whatever vendor, so they can re-examine the stone and ensure it meets your specific & unique definition of eye clean. For instance, when I was shopping for a stone for my wife's e-ring, I changed to 6" away from the stone and included side views as well as a top view.

Great eye clean SI1's offer the unique advantage of stretching your dollars. This means you can either pocket some savings or apply those savings and boost color and/or size.

The only time I would worry about an SI1 is if I was buying from a vendor that didn't have in-house stones they could vet, or if the vendor's trustworthiness was unknown, or possibly if I didn't like the type of inclusions that particular clarity grade was based upon (seen some that have no inclusions but a nasty note that reads, "clarity based on clouds not shown", which usually means it's a cloudy stone you want to avoid).

Assuming I am right about these being CBI/HPD stones then after a nice conversation with Wink and possibly some videos/photos I'd probably have enough warm fuzzies to pull the trigger on an SI1.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
If the stone is from HPD I wouldn’t hesitate buying the SI esp since it’s color is slightly higher on the spectrum. You always have the upgrade policy if you need it in the future!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI1 all the way, especially if it's a super ideal cut.

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much. I always find people so helpful on this forum and I’m very grateful. Yes it is from HPD and it’s beautiful! I had the opportunity to see if for myself about a week or so ago. think I was second guessing myself since I only saw it in a few different kinds of lighting (color grading lighting, jewelry store lighting, near a window, etc.) but I couldn’t see the inclusions then. I’m gong to get it in a temp setting so I can wear it around the house and inspect it in all kinds of lighting until I’m 100% confident and then either send it back if it doesn’t feel right for whatever reason, or have it set at that point. I did like that it was a “lower” G than the two other G’s I saw in person. Of course I don’t know where it is in the spectrum of Gs but it is closer to an F than the other two I saw.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did like that it was a “lower” G than the two other G’s I saw in person. Of course I don’t know where it is in the spectrum of Gs but it is closer to an F than the other two I saw.
My friend bought a 1.23ct G SI1 from HPD and to my pair of eyes it is 100% eye clean. All I can see is a lot of sparkles...:love:

Ping B.JPG
Ping F.JPG

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m all about hpd si 1 and 2 lol. You can go there with them

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eye clean SI1 over VS1 for certain.

DK :))

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
FWIW I am very happy with my SI1 (from IDJ, so different vendor). It is eye clean and sparkly. Unless you require higher clarity for cultural reasons, why pay extra for a benefit you can't see?

Linny

Shiny_Rock
With the GCAL logo in the bottom corner and the fact you are looking at ideal cut stones, I am going to say these are both CBI/HPD stones, correct?

IMO, this matters. Mainly because both the cutter (CBI) and the retailer (HPD) carefully vets the stones for imperfections. If they say the stone is eye clean, then I believe it. They are a trustworthy vendor that will shoot you straight, even if it is detrimental to the sale of a specific stone.

However, I do believe you need to understand their definition of eye clean as there is no "industry standard" and it can vary slightly from vendor to vendor. But this definition seems pretty common with many of the super ideal vendors we recommend.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/whyus/whyus-faqdetail/60

If you feel you have a condition that warrants more stringent criteria, then you need to clearly communicate that to HPD, or whatever vendor, so they can re-examine the stone and ensure it meets your specific & unique definition of eye clean. For instance, when I was shopping for a stone for my wife's e-ring, I changed to 6" away from the stone and included side views as well as a top view.

Great eye clean SI1's offer the unique advantage of stretching your dollars. This means you can either pocket some savings or apply those savings and boost color and/or size.

The only time I would worry about an SI1 is if I was buying from a vendor that didn't have in-house stones they could vet, or if the vendor's trustworthiness was unknown, or possibly if I didn't like the type of inclusions that particular clarity grade was based upon (seen some that have no inclusions but a nasty note that reads, "clarity based on clouds not shown", which usually means it's a cloudy stone you want to avoid).

Assuming I am right about these being CBI/HPD stones then after a nice conversation with Wink and possibly some videos/photos I'd probably have enough warm fuzzies to pull the trigger on an SI1.

Thanks this is great information. Your response about eye-clean definitions is very insightful. For me I think eye-clean means I can’t see the inclusions with the naked eye. Or, if I can, they don’t bother me! These are all pictures of the same diamond - the SI1, just to clarify, sorry. And yes, you are correct, the are CBI. HPD has been nothing but a pleasure to work with and have bent over backwards to help me in my search. They carefully vet each stone and in their definition it certainly is eye clean. I was able to see the SI1 as well as 5 other amazing diamonds in person, which they shipped to a local appraisers office. And they also made me a video comparing my top two at a regular viewing distance. I have gone ahead with the SI1 and I’m excited to be able to get it in a temporary setting and get to live with it for a bit and see how I feel!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks this is great information. Your response about eye-clean definitions is very insightful. For me I think eye-clean means I can’t see the inclusions with the naked eye. Or, if I can, they don’t bother me! These are all pictures of the same diamond - the SI1, just to clarify, sorry. And yes, you are correct, the are CBI. HPD has been nothing but a pleasure to work with and have bent over backwards to help me in my search. They carefully vet each stone and in their definition it certainly is eye clean. I was able to see the SI1 as well as 5 other amazing diamonds in person, which they shipped to a local appraisers office. And they also made me a video comparing my top two at a regular viewing distance. I have gone ahead with the SI1 and I’m excited to be able to get it in a temporary setting and get to live with it for a bit and see how I feel!

Glad I was able to help you. More importantly glad you were able to get to the.point you made a decision! HPD is awesome and I have zero doubts your diamond and experience will be nothing short of amazing!

Please post pics once you get it!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do what I did and have them send you the stone first to see it and then send it back to be set. I can’t remember if I paid for the second shipping but it would have been worth doing so regardless...

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me always eye clean lower clarity. I cannot for the life of me understand the need for vs1. Shop smart!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results