shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing beads?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
My eternity band saga continues. After initially being too small, to being adjusted and now swimming around on my finger - I will probably send it back to jeweler for sizing beads. will sizing beads help it fit better actually or does it mostly keep it from spinning? I think the ring is now 1/4 size too big. So the jeweler will probably do 1/4 size beads.

This was a big purchase for me, and I'm concerned that the sizing hasn't been right from the get go. The jeweler is very good and has a very good reputation here on PS. But I think the issue is one of not being able to work in person and after all this back and forth I am kind of just wishing I did it here in LA as I think this could have been avoided and I'm feeling kind of disappointed that the fit isn't just right. My e-rings and bands fit me very well and the size I requested in the first place should have been right. I think jeweler compensated for size as u-prong bands can feel more roomy inside he said so I think he compensated down slightly so it wouldn't fit over my knuckle and now we've been going back and forth to get it right.

do you think sizing beads will fix the feeling of being too big on my finger?

thanks.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As I've mentioned previously, I am SO sorry you are going through this. I totally "feel" your disappointment as I've had other situations of a similar nature with jewelry.
And I've done the "should've" game and tormented myself (and my husband!).
I just don't know if this can be rectified best via long distance. At this point I believe the sizing beads is worth a shot. However, I don't know if you go 1/4 size on that, or a little smaller. Keep in mind that if you "fill up" the loose space, you will be once again dealing with trouble getting it over the knuckle again. The sizing beads can be uncomfortable to some people. You need to strategically "turn" the ring to get it past the knuckle such as to bypass the beads, and then the beads would take up some of the excess room once it is on your finger, but some people don't like the beads pressing into their finger, others says they don't feel it after awhile. I know some jewelers won't even do them. Also, the beads can be more rounded or more of a flattened bead depending on how much room you need to be able to get it past the knuckle yet still have enough there to take up some space with the looseness once it is on your finger.
I believe... and please confirm this ahead of time... that if the sizing beads don't work for you, that they can be removed and the metal smoothed out. If that is correct, I think it is worth a try. And then if that doesn't work, go to a local and well-skilled jeweler to help you.
Or, you could just skip another potential disappointment trying to size something via telephone/email and just go have someone do it in person for you so they see exactly how it is fitting and the nature of your fingers.
I am keeping good thoughts for you that this will work out.
Alternatively (and it is even more $$$ unfortunately) but you may consider having it retrofitted as a Cliq ring. They can take your ring and make it so it opens and closes and you will have a perfect fit. I have a horrible issue with my knuckles and ring sizing (too much abuse over the knuckles resulted in surgery!).
Check it out: https://cliqjewelry.com
Here is the specific info on retrofitting your ring: https://cliqjewelry.com/cliq-retrofits/ you will see others eternity bands that they've done.
I am thrilled with my Cliq mounting. If you do opt for a retrofit, I would highly suggest you send to the and have them do the work versus a jeweler in your area that does it. Then you know it will be done right.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I had sizing beads put into some eternity rings but it turned out I didn’t need them and had them removed no problem.
I hope you can get this problem resolved so you can enjoy your band.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For sure, sizing beads will help tighten of a slightly loose fitting ring. If they make it a bit too tight, a jeweler can file them down a bit and you will immediately make the ring a tiny bit larger. It really should not become a big problem. If the beads work, that's fine, but if you need a further adjustment, then see someone local where you can stand there, have th beads filed a bit and re-try how the fit is. Every process done through the mail has a potential for an unintended result when it comes to a perfect fitting ring size. I don't suggest you go for some much more costly solution in a remote situation where you cannot give immediate personal feedback. Sizing is best done in perfection situations face to face. Many customers are not so sensitive to the fit, but you need to be an active part of the process.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
As I've mentioned previously, I am SO sorry you are going through this. I totally "feel" your disappointment as I've had other situations of a similar nature with jewelry.
And I've done the "should've" game and tormented myself (and my husband!).
I just don't know if this can be rectified best via long distance. At this point I believe the sizing beads is worth a shot. However, I don't know if you go 1/4 size on that, or a little smaller. Keep in mind that if you "fill up" the loose space, you will be once again dealing with trouble getting it over the knuckle again. The sizing beads can be uncomfortable to some people. You need to strategically "turn" the ring to get it past the knuckle such as to bypass the beads, and then the beads would take up some of the excess room once it is on your finger, but some people don't like the beads pressing into their finger, others says they don't feel it after awhile. I know some jewelers won't even do them. Also, the beads can be more rounded or more of a flattened bead depending on how much room you need to be able to get it past the knuckle yet still have enough there to take up some space with the looseness once it is on your finger.
I believe... and please confirm this ahead of time... that if the sizing beads don't work for you, that they can be removed and the metal smoothed out. If that is correct, I think it is worth a try. And then if that doesn't work, go to a local and well-skilled jeweler to help you.
Or, you could just skip another potential disappointment trying to size something via telephone/email and just go have someone do it in person for you so they see exactly how it is fitting and the nature of your fingers.
I am keeping good thoughts for you that this will work out.
Alternatively (and it is even more $$$ unfortunately) but you may consider having it retrofitted as a Cliq ring. They can take your ring and make it so it opens and closes and you will have a perfect fit. I have a horrible issue with my knuckles and ring sizing (too much abuse over the knuckles resulted in surgery!).
Check it out: https://cliqjewelry.com
Here is the specific info on retrofitting your ring: https://cliqjewelry.com/cliq-retrofits/ you will see others eternity bands that they've done.
I am thrilled with my Cliq mounting. If you do opt for a retrofit, I would highly suggest you send to the and have them do the work versus a jeweler in your area that does it. Then you know it will be done right.

thanks for your response. hopefully I get it resolved. the frustrating part is that my e-ring and bands fit fine, so I feel like this should work. and its uncomfortable to wear if its not just right.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I had sizing beads put into some eternity rings but it turned out I didn’t need them and had them removed no problem.
I hope you can get this problem resolved so you can enjoy your band.

yes I hope I can get it resolved soon thanks.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
For sure, sizing beads will help tighten of a slightly loose fitting ring. If they make it a bit too tight, a jeweler can file them down a bit and you will immediately make the ring a tiny bit larger. It really should not become a big problem. If the beads work, that's fine, but if you need a further adjustment, then see someone local where you can stand there, have th beads filed a bit and re-try how the fit is. Every process done through the mail has a potential for an unintended result when it comes to a perfect fitting ring size. I don't suggest you go for some much more costly solution in a remote situation where you cannot give immediate personal feedback. Sizing is best done in perfection situations face to face. Many customers are not so sensitive to the fit, but you need to be an active part of the process.

yes i agree hopefully we will get it right this time with the sizing beads. the jeweler preferred i send him back the ring as it is delicate and he doesnt know the expertise of another jeweler working on the ring. but hopefully if it did need to be filed down any further i could do it locally. we shall see. i feel like this whole situation may have been avoided if i worked with someone locally. which was my original debate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results