shape
carat
color
clarity

First Online Diamond Purchase - Replacement to Lost Stone

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Hi There,

I lost the diamond from my solitaire engagement ring back in November. I had a .44ct princess cut my husband purchased from Kay's back in 2009 when we got engaged. He paid $1000 and the stone was an IGI certified "good" cut, F for color, SI1 for clarity and he also purchased their warranty. Trouble we ran into when I lost the diamond was I hadn't had the ring serviced in 8 months so they wouldn't cover the loss. I had the engagement ring removed from my wedding band and I've just been wearing that. Well, my husband recently ordered a replacement ring for me after we had done some research and I'm really excited about it! I think that he got a heck of a deal going with a nearly colorless stone, same clarity (but, actually looks better IMO), way better ideal cut, better ratio, etc.

So, what are your opinions of this diamond? It's super hard for me to find the feather inclusion(s) in this diamond. I had to look at the super zoom to even see it. I asked them for the GIA report because I was worried about any clouds but all that's listed is feathers. The specs are .50ct | Ideal Cut Princess | Color I | Clarity SI1 for $680. A similar .50ct | Ideal Cut Princess | Color F | Clarity VVS2 is going for $1250 and visually it's hard for me to tell a difference (I mean, I can tell the color different but...mostly the same). I'm just looking for input if this was a good buy or not in the SI1 and color I range. I'm used to a colorless diamond but my diamond didn't have as good of a cut or ratio as this one. So, it's going to be like an upgrade!

Here's a link to the new stone .50ct | Ideal Cut Princess | Color I | Clarity SI1 for $680:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.50-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-7470709

Here's the "better" stone I was comparing it to .50ct | Ideal Cut Princess | Color F | Clarity VVS2 is going for $1250:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.50-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-7183017

I also attached the GIA report they sent us on the new stone. I'm not getting the ring until the 19th for our 10 year anniversary haha, so, I can't see it in person yet until it gets here!

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the appearance and cut of the I SI1. It appears more lively, and has less light leakage under the table and better edge to edge brightness than the F VVS.

The question is "are you comfortable with I color and SI1 clarity?"
It is something that only you can answer. I personally have no issue with I color and SI1 clarity. This diamond looks really good IMHO.

I do not like the F VVS's appearance and especially the price, when you can get this for $100 more.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.60-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-7507944

Edit: You should request the ASET images of both I SI1 and F VVS to compare the light return characteristics of these two diamonds.

Last edited:

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback! I'm definitely comfortable with the color and clarity based off many in person comparisons and video comparisons I've watched of similar diamonds with mainly just color as the difference (since I used to have a F for color I was at first concerned about going down to I but really, I have no issue with them) but I was worried about the fire and brilliance not seeing the diamond in person TBH. I'll definitely request the ASET images and post them.

I like the appearance and cut of the I SI1. It appears more lively, and has less light leakage under the table and better edge to edge brightness than the F VVS.

It is something that only you can answer. I personally have no issue with I color and SI1 clarity. This diamond looks really good IMHO.

Edit: You should request the ASET images of both I SI1 and F VVS to compare the light return characteristics of these two diamonds.

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Also, I looked at the .60ct you linked:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.60-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-7507944

I just can't stomach paying twice as much for a stone that's only 0.31mm wider. Visually, is it that much more of a show stopper to make up for another $690 comparatively to the .50ct I SI1 my husband ordered?

James Allen didn't have the ASET image of either the I SI1 we ordered or the F VVS I linked but they have requested the ASET image of the diamond my husband ordered and will send it over once they receive it so I'll have that.

I do not like the F VVS's appearance and especially the price, when you can get this for $100 more.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only linked the 0.60 D VVS because you mentioned the 0.50 F VVS.

Do not overthink. The I SI1 your husband already ordered is good to me. Good value for what appears to be eye clean as well. Just wait till you see it in person.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about Princess cuts, and I'm so sorry you lost your diamond and they wouldn't replace it. Just wanted to say I love your photo! Enjoy your new diamond, whatever that may be!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the I/SI1. The facets are crisp and well defined. It looks like it should have nice light return and face up pretty white. You may see some
hint of color from the side (no biggie IMO).

I think you did well! Happy 10th Anniversary....come back with pictures when you get it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the one you got looks great in the JA video! Facets are flashing on and off with movement so it should be really sparkly. I is plenty white imo.

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Here's a picture of my original engagement ring back when I got it in 2009. I'll post pictures of the new one in a couple weeks :)

4723_191916420525_3479600_n.jpg

and here's when I realized I had lost my diamond :(
dd5830fd-e81c-5e75-a5b2-c69c4a2a022e.jpeg

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Also! I did notice the location of the feathers weren't called out on the GIA report and it took me a while to find them and they're in the corner of the stone. Right on the top corner that's where the feather(s) is.... is this going to mess with the integrity of the stone? Do you think that I have a chance of breaking this diamond since it'll be mounted in the corner there? I don't want to lose another diamond! I will be insuring this one separately... not having another Kay's faux paus.

This is the diamond:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.50-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-7470709

P.S. I'm super anxious to get it. I wish my husband would have been able to keep the secret but he told me since they moved out the delivery date until after our anniversary. It was supposed to deliver the 13th and our anniversary is the 15th but now it won't deliver until the 19th.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it's an Si1 the inclusions should not affect the integrity.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also re: insurance, I don't think it would be worth it due to the price of your ring - it should be covered under your homeowner's or renter's insurance. I think most plans cover jewelry up to about $2500. Check yours and see what it covers and if you need to submit any documentation for your ring. Since you went ahead and bought a new stone idk that you can get retroactive coverage for this loss but you may want to inquire if this is a concern.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about you losing your original stone, but CONGRATULATIONS on the new one! The video looks very promising and I think you did well.

Good call by @distracts on noting the base coverage of a homeowners/renters policy may cover your jewelry, and possibly the already lost stone as well. How great would that be to get fully or partially reimbursed? That said, before you file a claim you may also ask your insurance company if the claim will adversely affect your rates, or create any concern for cancellation. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

As far as the feather, I can't see the GIA cert (silly JA blocks them now). But are you sending your setting to JA so they can mount the stone and send it back as a complete unit? If so, I'd ask them if they foresee any issues, etc.

misssararae

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

I contacted my insurance about the diamond loss only to find out that my insurance agent dropped the ball on our renters insurance. So, what happened was we moved out of an owned home and into a rental while we were deciding where we wanted to buy in 2017 (we still live in the rental). I had gotten in touch with my agent, received the renters insurance quote, approved it to be added to our policies and I thought we were good to go. Well, we weren't. When I lost the stone I then found out about the fact that the policy was never finalized and added/combined with our other policies so my backup of having the rings covered on my renters insurance on top of the Kay's warranty wasn't there. I had both my wedding band and engagement ring on our homeowners policy because I had submitted all kinds of paperwork including appraisals for it. On the renters insurance she just said well we'll do $2000 jewelry coverage and it'll be covered and she already had the paperwork on file!

The whole thing was just a Murphy's Law kind of senario. I was so glad we never had a fire or burst/backed up pipes and all it was to find out we didn't have coverage was my diamond. It could have been way worse. We ended up switching insurance agencies shortly after we figured out the mix-up and we even have better rates now. But, I had absolutely no coverage on the diamond loss when it happened. Whole lotta lessons learned there.

Another reason I'm pretty leary about going with a larger diamond... I'm so apprehensive about losing another one and I was so used to my .44ct that I just didn't want to go much bigger. I thought about asking him to upgrade to a .75ct but then I changed my mind about it. I also considered asking for a sidestone ring but I talked myself out of that, too, after wearing a silver CZ ring I picked up/wore for a couple months to see if I liked it. I really really just prefer a solitaire.

Also, my husband ended up getting me a whole new ring from JA. I actually like the setting more than what I originally had because visually there's a little more to it with the cross prongs and honestly the diamond just looks like it's going to be more secure. He was leary about bringing our diamond and having the work done at Kay's and using my original ring because I wasn't in love with the prong style of my original engagement ring so he changed it up a bit with the setting/ring he got.

This is the setting he got:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-cross-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-item-121

Last thing, I do have the GIA certificate image above.

Sorry to hear about you losing your original stone, but CONGRATULATIONS on the new one! The video looks very promising and I think you did well.

Good call by @distracts on noting the base coverage of a homeowners/renters policy may cover your jewelry, and possibly the already lost stone as well. How great would that be to get fully or partially reimbursed? That said, before you file a claim you may also ask your insurance company if the claim will adversely affect your rates, or create any concern for cancellation. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

As far as the feather, I can't see the GIA cert (silly JA blocks them now). But are you sending your setting to JA so they can mount the stone and send it back as a complete unit? If so, I'd ask them if they foresee any issues, etc.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about the mixup with your insurance! That sucks.

I can't wait to see pics when you get the ring - I think that JA setting is really lovely and will look great with your diamond.

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
This is going to be beautiful!

misssararae

Rough_Rock
My ring should be complete to ship on Friday but they sent me the following ASET image in the interim. So, the red and the green is what shows the light return? So, is this a good one for a princess? I'm a novice!

7470709.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a good one for a princess to me!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks excellent! Beautiful and super white and sparkly! And looks great with your wedding band - it was hard to picture how they looked together with the picture you had of the empty setting.

misssararae

Rough_Rock
It looks excellent! Beautiful and super white and sparkly! And looks great with your wedding band - it was hard to picture how they looked together with the picture you had of the empty setting.

Thanks, I love it <3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results