shape
carat
color
clarity

Small Purchases that Make me Happy (:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few more: mother of pearl butterfly & daisy! Rosarita, sunstone, turquoise, sugilite, lapis, larimar, & emerald.

04B6FDB0-56CD-4F15-8DEB-9AF51EB29430.jpeg

These rounds are called Leland Blue. Never heard of it before but so pretty! over time I’m hoping to get a few more in different colors to make a planetary inspired statement necklace. Might use some faceted gems too...

F1BABE79-3D3A-443E-906B-89275F6448A9.jpeg

Wow I love lapis!! That pear is lovely! & Im with Bluegemz, the way you display these gems is so visually simulating. They truly look appetizing to me haha!
Its the whole plate subliminal!

Also I found out about leland blue some years ago and thought itd be a wonderful material for sterling silver statement pieces! What a neat history!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just finished my little DIY necklace!
I used leather cord to create an adjustable necklace with a larger peachy-pastel Edison pearl, a 18k rose Gold cup & peg, and a sturdy 14k yellow gold jump ring I had laying around. It can be at minimum 16" or at most 30" long around the neck.

Ive found that it can also be wrapped 3 times around the wrist as a bracelet.
Just a little thing but the joy in creating it was the best! 20190805_151956.jpg 20190805_191817~2.jpg
20190805_190523.jpg

Ive also thought about making another little Edison pearl pendant and putting each one on one of my dainty 1/2" 14k yellow gold hoop earrings as its such a look! Although theyre a tad bit heavy!

Last edited:

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Hivona what a fun and pretty collection, what are some of the vendors you like?

I have had good experiences and received nice stones from these Instagram vendors:

Chimerastones
rockhoundgaryb
coloradogemworks
r2rockz
cabochonsforsale
cabochons4sale
cabsentminded_

These two I haven't purchased from yet but I follow & they seem to have nice gems. I will probably make a purchase someday:

coyagems
thecabochoncowboy

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used leather cord to create an adjustable necklace with a larger peachy-pastel Edison pearl, a 18k rose Gold cup & peg, and a sturdy 14k yellow gold jump ring I had laying around. It can be at minimum 16" or at most 30" long around the neck.

Just a little thing but the joy in creating it was the best! 20190805_151956.jpg 20190805_191817~2.jpg
20190805_190523.jpg

Ive also thought about making another little Edison pearl pendant and putting each one on one of my dainty 1/2" 14k yellow gold hoop earrings as its such a look! Although theyre a tad bit heavy!

It looks so pretty on you! Simple and elegant! Thanks for the inspiration. :appl:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I have had good experiences and received nice stones from these Instagram vendors:

Chimerastones
rockhoundgaryb
coloradogemworks
r2rockz
cabochonsforsale
cabochons4sale
cabsentminded_

These two I haven't purchased from yet but I follow & they seem to have nice gems. I will probably make a purchase someday:

coyagems
thecabochoncowboy

Oh ho ho! It looks like we’re mother of pearl rose twins!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20190805_190523.jpg

This is beautiful! You did a great job:love: You know, I'm all about DIY!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is such a fun thread! I love your cab collection @Hivona and I adore your teapot charm @Garnetgirl . Everyone has such beautiful little things that bring them joy :)).

One of my favorite summer pastimes when I’m looking to unwind is scouring the northern shores of Lake Michigan for Petoskey stones. They are a coral fossils from the Devonian period when the lake was a salt water sea. I had the chance to freeform cab and polish a few of my finds at a local jewelers studio yesterday. Since I found the stones myself, I only had to pay $10 hr to use the studios lapidary equipment :)).
EF3AFAEE-49FE-4886-BC3E-5DEA8B901A2A.jpeg
DD3D7AD1-027C-47E4-AEC6-874D036A3B77.jpeg
I didn’t think to take a photo before I started, but here are photos of others I have in their natural state that haven’t been cabbed yet.
8D387BDD-5A63-4258-A336-620DC2272548.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is such a fun thread! I love your cab collection @Hivona and I adore your teapot charm @Garnetgirl . Everyone has such beautiful little things that bring them joy :)).

One of my favorite summer pastimes when I’m looking to unwind is scouring the northern shores of Lake Michigan for Petoskey stones. They are a coral fossils from the Devonian period when the lake was a salt water sea. I had the chance to freeform cab and polish a few of my finds at a local jewelers studio yesterday. Since I found the stones myself, I only had to pay $10 hr to use the studios lapidary equipment :)).
I didn’t think to take a photo before I started, but here are photos of others I have in their natural state that haven’t been cabbed yet.

2Neezers, they are awesome! I had no idea that you cabbed at all and how neat to have found them yourself. Someday I'd love to do the same from prospecting a gem to cutting it!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ive been wanting a larger peridot cabochon for some time now, as its my daughters birthstone and I personally like them via cabochon rather than cut.

I found this cushion cut cabochon that is approx. 14x14mm at 7mm thick @ 12.57cts for $130.00 on etsy and decided to pull the trigger. I cannot decide for the life of me if I want to set it in sterling silver, white gold, or even yellow gold! I do know that it'll be a ring though.

Heres my not-so-little peridot in its cheery green apple glory! (All vendor photos)
il_570xN.1936875746_cx02.jpg il_570xN.1936876158_ni6q.jpg il_570xN.1984410769_9wmn.jpg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2Neezers, they are awesome! I had no idea that you cabbed at all and how neat to have found them yourself. Someday I'd love to do the same from prospecting a gem to cutting it!
@TheGarnetGirl I think you would love itI have only cabbed a couple of times and don’t really know what I am doing yet. These stones are pretty soft and easy to work with, but there is definitely a technique and skill to getting a nice girdle and dome that I don’t have yet! Learning to facet a colored stone is on my to do list too. If you have a rock club or jewelers studios in your area that offers classes, cabbing is a great way to get a feel for things first without the detailed steps of faceting.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite summer pastimes when I’m looking to unwind is scouring the northern shores of Lake Michigan for Petoskey stones.
As someone who grew up in MI - I love it!!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone who grew up in MI - I love it!!
Oh cool! Are you still in the area? We still have a few good months of stone hunting until the snow flies :lol:.

I love your juicy green peridot cab @TheGarnetGirl ! It will look gorgeous in white or yellow metal :kiss2:.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh cool! Are you still in the area? We still have a few good months of stone hunting until the snow flies :lol:..
I’ve been away for many years at this point. Ahh, memories..

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just arrived yesterday!
I'm still debating on yellow gold or white gold! Aghhhhh!
It has many lily pad inclusions but I dont mind. Its size and juicy-green-apple-candy color makes up for it :mrgreen2:
Happy to finally have a large peridot cab as its been on my wishlist for some time.

20190904_110632.jpg 20190904_110602.jpg 20190904_110608.jpg 20190904_110705.jpg 20190904_110709.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just arrived yesterday!
It has many lily pad inclusions but I dont mind. Its size and juicy-green-apple-candy color makes up for it :mrgreen2:
Happy to finally have a large peridot cab as its been on my wishlist for some time.

20190904_110632.jpg 20190904_110602.jpg 20190904_110608.jpg 20190904_110705.jpg 20190904_110709.jpg
Lovely! I’m voting for yellow 100%!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just arrived yesterday!

Gorgeous! I don't know which I would choose yellow or white. Make sure if you go with yellow that it complements the color and doesn't clash with it. I don't remember which yellow would work best with your stone. 14K or 18K. But I believe one would look better than the other. Good luck and it is beautiful. :love:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all who liked my small post on my big peridot :lol-2: See what I did there?

Anyways....

@Bluegemz I love how I can always count on you to push me through to yellow gold haha!
I feel its as if you understand that on each stone that could be suited by the metal color you somehow always know that YG is what my soul craves! What can I say? The natural color of yellow gold is just so rich and decadent and lovely....warm. There it is, warm! Ive been debating this but I think I've decided on a setting and metal color so please scroll to the end of this post! :P2

@missy Omgosh yes! You understand perfectly why I'm slightly worried about yellow gold. This stone color will either look great with yellow gold or way way too....I'm not even sure of the word...but just yuck?!
As I explained to Bluegemz though I think I decided on a setting and metal color...scroll down! :appl:

@strawrose I love how my peridot may have possibly influenced you! I think the color is totally underrated but I see why others may not gravitate towards it....it can look almost kitschy when cut but IMHO that goes away when its in cabochon form. Just my weird taste maybe :mrgreen2:
To me peridot cabs, or just any gemmy green candy apple color radiates positive energy that is bright and bouncy, one that feeds the child in all of us, reminding us to stop and enjoy nature. I also think the color is less obnoxious and suits cabochons more as we can look into them and they become their own little green world full of nature.

Anyways, now for my idea about setting this 12.57ct baby!
If you all remember I recently set a cushion cut cabochon gem silica given to me by my beau which was set with gorgeous claw prongs and a bubble type band in RG. I dont want this ring to be similar at all even though they are the exact same shape and my gem silica is only about 1mm larger all around!

I was thinking that as with most of my projects that include cabs Id like to keep the peridot the main focus and do something simple. So just a simple plain polished band and bezel....BUT to add visual interest I want to have the bezel WG and the band YG.
I think that even though the combo may sound odd that the piece will end up looking very organic in a way with those two colors.
Also, I love that when put next to white gold the gemstone becomes a richer pop of green whereas a yellow bezel would brighten it a bit too much.
Thoughts? :mrgreen2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Oh & @strawrose I forgot to comment on your cab! Thats what happens when I get setting-giddy!
I love that it has this very faint bluish-gray tone to it! Id love to have a bangle like that someday but with a little more blue.
Sadly jade and jadeite are two stones that I have yet to delve into, mainly because they seem so intimidating!
But a bluish green bangle and a purple jadeite cabochon are on my list someday!!

Ps. And girlllllll if you consider your chimera stones "little" purchases please get to posting them! I love seeing all of our little joys!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Oh & @strawrose I forgot to comment on your cab! Thats what happens when I get setting-giddy!
I love that it has this very faint bluish-gray tone to it! Id love to have a bangle like that someday but with a little more blue.
Sadly jade and jadeite are two stones that I have yet to delve into, mainly because they seem so intimidating!
But a bluish green bangle and a purple jadeite cabochon are on my list someday!!

Ps. And girlllllll if you consider your chimera stones "little" purchases please get to posting them! I love seeing all of our little joys!

I love seeing your bezel rings. More, please!

I’m just dabbling into jade, so this will be interesting. I’m sure the people in the jade thread can help you a lot.

Ha ha the chimera shopping spree was your fault. :P2

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
A couple small purchases from a gem show. Some to set into something, some just to collect. Sphene, heated pink-orange sapphire, tanzanite, and two minty demantoids.

417AF203-B395-4935-A79A-CD524827E804.jpeg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
A couple small purchases from a gem show. Some to set into something, some just to collect. Sphene, heated pink-orange sapphire, tanzanite, and two minty demantoids.

Sphene is always fun to look at. Nice finds!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG
i thought they were quite interesting in their marital state
pretty cool in your top photo
but drop dead unbelievably gorgouse when finished :kiss2:
good for you

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
03DBF399-E440-4312-BFEB-B9DA801D9C07.jpeg

I have so many bought from chimera stones that I haven’t taken pictures of. :oops2:

A little gray-green Burma jadeite. Maybe I’ll try for apple green, next?

Yay to this! Apple green is delightful! One of my favourite shades!

Are you going to set it?!

I loooove jade! It is possibly the most fun stone to lay with in terms of colours and shapes! Oh the shapes!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

These all actually look quite lovely together! We need @voce in here to come up with a way to combine them into one piece since she's been quite the designer for multiple gem-pieces lately!
I know you said some are to collect but I cannot help but be an enabler.
They would make a very neat asymmetrical cluster ring or pendant. Something about the color combo is just very cerebral, almost as if the piece would help a child test better in school.

Yes I know, I'm a strange one!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Today Im planning on making some earrings with sterling silver leverbacks but I'm curious if any of you recognize the material.

My mother was given these two necklaces that hold these reddish-orange beads that are neatly shaped together like fish scales.

We both think they're coral but I'm not that familiar with coral to say definitively. They've always been held together with straw, but the straw became brittle and they've broken apart.

Native American or African even?

15679628914036661225493415424481.jpg

@stracci2000 do you have any ideas? I feel like you might know out of everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results