shape
carat
color
clarity

How "normal people" view diamonds/gemstones/etc

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you've noticed, but most people don't really care about fine jewellery. As someone who spends a lot of time researching, buying, wearing, and generally enjoying jewelery, sometimes it's easy to forget that until I hear certain statements.

For instance, I've had at least 5 people ask if a cs I was wearing is my birth stone and look shocked when I said no. As if there's no other reason to own a gem. :confused:

I saw a review of an asscher eternity ring that someone gave 1 star because "it looks fake! Diamonds aren't normally cut like this." :confused:

I saw a YouTuber reviewing a $100 tiny simulated turquoise necklace (base metal plated in silver) say "there's no way I can afford real stones so this is perfect!" Even though you could probably get the real thing in sterling for less. :confused:

I am not making fun of anyone, it's just funny to get an insight into how normal people view this stuff. Do you have any examples?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - the birthstone thing is common, especially since my engagement ring is sapphire. People also VERY OFTEN ask if it is tanzanite, and I always find myself thinking it would be foolish to have a tanzanite engagement ring.

I’ve been told my half-carat diamond solitaire is “so big” and asked how much over a carat it was (negative .5 over. None over.)

I have seen people wondering why their diamonds don’t sparkle anymore like my jewelry does and had to explain to them about cleaning. They’re always shocked. (My friends/family always ask if I can pop their rings in the ultrasonic when they’re at my house - some of them are so dirty I’ve got to run the cycle multiple times.)

I’ve seen people commenting on how jewelry is vain and a waste of money meanwhile they are guzzling down $14 drinks and driving an expensive car, or otherwise showing they’re perfectly fine with wastes of money as long as they are hobbies THEY are interested in. I’ve also heard a lot the specific line, “a vacation is a better investment than jewelry” which makes literally no sense to me because you can’t sell a vacation for anything when you’re done with it but even if you can only sell your jewelry for 30% of what you paid, that’s a heck of a lot more than the zero you could sell your completed vacation for. So I have to explain that “a better/more enjoyable use of money for me” is not the same as “an investment.” (I’m particularly set off by this comment because I am SO STRESSED by vacations - I do not travel well and have always hated them. I would much, much prefer jewelry.)

Of course - I also see multiple people who may not know much about jewelry and whose thing it may really not be who are very complimentary of my pieces and who want to know how you get jewelry that nice. So naturally I tell them about pricescope!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad I'm not "normal" the normal crowd is really missing out LOL!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really hate seeing a dirty ring no matter how much it cost
the mall jewlers clean jewlery for free, (i do trust mine to have had the right training with regard to some softer gems )
but even if you don't, there is still no excuse for having a dirty diamond
and dirty white sapphires give me the s##ts
the internet tells you how to gently clean your jewlery anyway
you wouldn't go to town in a dirty top so why let your rings get grimmy and gross?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#can'trelate :lol:

I agree with the birth stone thing - I've also been asked that many times. Also loathe dirty jewels - it so easy to clean them! :wall:People are always surprised how much jewellery I have (it's not really much by PS standards) yet they have oodles of clothes, shoes whatever...

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My best friend is not into jewelry.
But, she went with me to DK's shop when I picked up my platinum wedding set in LA last year. Later she asked what metal it was, I said, "it's platinum".
She says, shaking her head, " Yeah, real gold has gotten way too expensive, huh?"
Me: "but, platinum is more expensive than gold!"
Her: "Oh, I thought it was just some kind of silver."o_O

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a lark and while we traveling in SoCal this month, went to a high-end jeweler with spouse and our adult kids. Salesperson asked if we were all born in September. I was like "What....?!? Ohhhh...the rings..."

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
A male acquaintance of mine saw my 3 carat diamond and told me it's really expensive and it costs $10k. If he knows where to get a H&A 3 carat diamond for $10k I would like to know too!

Another guy I knew thought my 3 carat was a 1 carat, which I found hilarious. He's going to be in for a shock when he gets engaged!

The majority of people I know thinks getting an e-ring means buying walking into a store and buying a whole ring - not a diamond and setting separately.

When I first started out in jewelry I didn't really know what was good or bad, so my 4 prong, peg head, lightweight solitaire was the bee's knees. Now I can tell. Occasionally I see someone gushing about the craftsmanship of their e-ring, although I can see the uneven polish, the unevenness of tiny prongs in the pave setting, the flimsiness etc. I always keep my mouth shut, because there's no point in ruining their experience.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More than one person has told me my diamond can’t be real because “diamonds don’t come that big” or “diamonds are round not rectangular”.
Over the years, before my retirement, I was the “go to person” in the office for advice and help with jewellery matters. I assisted in the purchase (and non purchase) of a number of engagement rings and pieces of jewelry for loved ones. I rather enjoyed that. I was considered somewhat “peculiar” because I had so many different watches and none were “Quartz” or “Seiko” brand.
You mean you have to wind it, like everyday!
Oh, it’s such a tiring chore too! These days most people just use their phone to know the time.
And here in Australia most people think opals are just for tourists, that “enhanced” gems must be better than normal and that sapphires only come in one colour, dark blue, and anything else must be fake!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend is not into jewelry.
But, she went with me to DK's shop when I picked up my platinum wedding set in LA last year. Later she asked what metal it was, I said, "it's platinum".
She says, shaking her head, " Yeah, real gold has gotten way too expensive, huh?"
Me: "but, platinum is more expensive than gold!"
Her: "Oh, I thought it was just some kind of silver."o_O

That's priceless! I'm giggling.

The majority of people I know thinks getting an e-ring means buying walking into a store and buying a whole ring - not a diamond and setting separately.

YES. My SIL thinks I am a "jewelry designer" because I pick out stones and settings separately and have custom settings made. I'm not the actual one designing them! But it's all the same to most people apparently.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's like anything else- it's an interest or a hobby really. I don't know anything about video games or systems or fancy camera stuff. I would be just as clueless..

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week, my set was called “cute” by a woman who wasn’t wearing a ring. I should let it go but it stung.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had it implied my ideal cut diamonds weren’t real because they were so sparkly.. um. What.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week, my set was called “cute” by a woman who wasn’t wearing a ring. I should let it go but it stung.

I suspect she was struck by your beautiful presence that gobbledegook tumbled out of her mouth. Ya, dumb comments happen.

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People I know think my diamonds are OTT and generally appreciate them. They also think I’m a little nuts. They are correct on both counts.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I’ve seen people commenting on how jewelry is vain and a waste of money meanwhile they are guzzling down $14 drinks and driving an expensive car, or otherwise showing they’re perfectly fine with wastes of money as long as they are hobbies THEY are interested in. I’ve also heard a lot the specific line, “a vacation is a better investment than jewelry” which makes literally no sense to me because you can’t sell a vacation for anything when you’re done with it but even if you can only sell your jewelry for 30% of what you paid, that’s a heck of a lot more than the zero you could sell your completed vacation for. So I have to explain that “a better/more enjoyable use of money for me” is not the same as “an investment.” (I’m particularly set off by this comment because I am SO STRESSED by vacations - I do not travel well and have always hated them. I would much, much prefer jewelry.)

Yes, a million times on these examples! One day at work, a coworker asked me what I was reading and I told her about the ED scam. When I began to tell her about how terrible it was, she went "Oh yeah definitely." I was surprised and said, "You heard about the ED scam?" And she responded, "No, but all diamonds are a scam anyway so totally not surprised at all." I was pretty peeved by this comment.

I also had another coworker who said she didn't understand diamonds and that she would much rather spend money on a house or vacation. It's funny though, how many of these comments come from individuals who aren't even in relationships and don't even have anyone in their lives that would want to buy a diamond for them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect she was struck by your beautiful presence that gobbledegook tumbled out of her mouth. Ya, dumb comments happen.

cheers--Sharon
:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results