shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Setting vs Super Ideal Help!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The majority of VS2's will be eye clean. Also @Wink with HPD states that all CBI stones they sell are at least "eye clean".

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-clarity

If you aren't aware CBI cuts the stones, etc. HPD is a vendor/retailer of sorts for CBI stones. Another powerful weapon is the fact CBI utilizes Lieve Peeters to examine all stones in house for color and clarity. I've heard examples where their internal grading can sometimes be more stringent than AGS and if they feel a stone is lesser color/clarity than graded, then they adjust their pricing & marketing accordingly.

So you have CBI --> AGS --> HPD all vetting the stone. Granted AGS isn't looking for "eye clean" necesarily, they are just looking to assign a grade by their standards. But the additional layers help provide nice warm fuzzies.

https://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/web/about/index.html

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about, but it's always worth asking them directly to confirm. Being that some of the inclusions are on the table, and some are crystals I'd want to make sure the crystals are white and not black as mind-wise that would drive me a little bonkers. But then again, mind clarity isn't the same as eye clean clarity. ;)2

Lastly, about the cut, I'd agree that you have little to worry about in regards to performance. It will pass the IS, ASET and H&A images with flying colors. Both CBI & HPD pride themselves on providing super ideal stones that perform to the highest degree possible, while providing one of the best customer service experiences available. Truly, I believe you are in good hands in regards to cut & clarity quality. :cool2:

As @yssie pointed out, my only concern is the "Tiffany thing". While I am all about performance rather we are talking diamonds, cars, etc sometimes the brand matters. I don't understand why as humans we are this way, as it makes no logical sense. I can't relate the feeling to diamonds, but I am a car guy and can say that a vehicle I have always wanted to own is a Porsche 911. There are plenty of cars that handle better, perform better and for less money -- and I've driven them and owned a few. Yet, a 911 is still on my list. I always find a reason to NOT get it but it never goes off my list. Silly I know.

So I'd encourage you to listen to the advice given and have honest conversations about this aspect. There is no doubt in my mind the CBI/HPD stone and replica setting will be nothing short of pure excellence, but will she still be dreaming of a Tiffany despite the awesomeness she will be wearing?

Aap922

Rough_Rock
Here’s the thing.
There is nothing exactly like the “real deal”.
There is nothing exactly like the real Tiffany setting - in mind and in metal.

If you go with a stone from an alternate vendor, you’re compromising on the real tiffany mount.
For most people who want a specific piece from a specific vendor it’s not a zero sum game - getting an extra special super duper stone, or a bigger stone, doesn’t “cancel out” or “make up for” a compromise setting.

So what’s really the most important thing here?
How much will the fact that a lookalike mount is neither identical in aesthetic nor authentic in spirit bother you, or her? It clearly is something that would be bothersome - otherwise you wouldn’t be looking for the closest possible match.
Be honest when you (and she!) answer. No wrong answers - unless the answer is not an honest answer.

Well I made it clear I had no problem buying the 1.5 I from Tiffany’s as it was in budget and she said she would prefer bigger from HPD or WF ACA. And she had zero issue with the HPD setting especially if the diamond was bigger and it sparkles more and is higher quality without the Tiffany markup. So no issue there, and honestly they are very close in looks. Like others have said you don’t wear the box. I attached some pictures because I am sure someone will have the same issue deciding.

HPD NY Classic: Soft prongs (I think I like the look of these more)
F735ECA3-7DAA-4C45-A3AD-26EACB4BF43E.jpeg

Tiffany’s:
3BA51871-DA00-48E9-B14D-5201EB5A4D2C.jpeg
AA69653B-5727-48BE-AD82-27BF85CC38B2.png 466A2DBC-C6C6-46FB-B238-7DCF91D8D163.png

Aap922

Rough_Rock
I am positive I am in the clear if I decide not to purchase a Tiffany branded ring. My question question is which would you go if I didn’t go Tiffany’s:

Maximizing an ideal budget of 20-26k no bigger than 2ct.

Go ~1.75-1.85/E-F/VS1-VS2
Go big 2ct/I/VS2

Thanks for the help

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I’d do 1.7-1.8 E or F.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not search for a 2 ct H/SI super ideal, have them vet it to make sure it's eye clean, and call it a day??

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I am positive I am in the clear if I decide not to purchase a Tiffany branded ring. My question question is which would you go if I didn’t go Tiffany’s:

Maximizing an ideal budget of 20-26k no bigger than 2ct.

Go ~1.75-1.85/E-F/VS1-VS2
Go big 2ct/I/VS2

Thanks for the help[/QUOTED

I think if you like HPD’s New York Classic setting and that is the one you will likely choose (if you are not going the Tiffany route) then I would also get the stone from HPD too. If you are are still undecided about colour/clarity/size then have HPD line up a few stones (E/F, G/H/I, VS1/2, SI1) in sizes between 1.75 - 2.ct in a video for you, this may help you decide either way.

All the best in your decision :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she had no problem with an I color from Tiffany's then I don't see the concern about buying an I from a super ideal vendor like HPD. And yes, I would have them line up a few stones (G/H/I) so you can have peace of mind.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
61BA9EBA-BE09-42AF-8D01-2381B20278F3.jpeg 7E0182C2-6B05-4A94-BC65-73AFEACFF7A4.jpeg
Here’s my 1.76ct H VS2 CBI from HPD. Totally eye clean and white!
I HAD a 1.18ct G VS2 genuine Tiffany & Co. that just didn’t wow me. I’ve since sold it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results