shape
carat
color
clarity

Reasonable price for blue grey spinel cushion ring?

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I was just at my jewellers inquiring about a engagement ring reset when I spotted these beautiful blue grey spinel rings. These just spoke to me, they called to my soul. The smaller one is on sale for $3000 AUD, just wondering if this is a good price?

I've done a tiny little bit of research and I think perhaps $3,000 is still a bit too high?

Would I be better off finding a loose grey spinel and having that set into a ring? IMG_20190819_113000.jpg IMG_20190819_111623.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Those spinels remind me of the 1 ct blue grey spinel I bought off Etsy for $45USD, pictured below.
IMG_20190816_124003884.jpg
My overall feeling is that it's not a good deal. You're paying for a blue grey spinel plus the setting cost. That setting will run you max $1k USD, and the stone looks like it should be around 2 cts and run you about $500 USD. Currency conversion says $2213 AUD. They should at worst be making a $800AUD profit off you, and at best double that as profit.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Here it is on my finger. Quite nice irl.

6C801944-A554-4FC5-A05B-79612135D5D1.jpeg

Grey spinel should be much cheaper. If you really want grey, the ladies here should be able to help source some nice ones for you.

Setting prices may be a killer but if standard size, stock settings could be a good option. Personally I like stock settings and if they are fairly standard halo like the one you saw, not worth a made to order imo.

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Here it is on my finger. Quite nice irl.

6C801944-A554-4FC5-A05B-79612135D5D1.jpeg

Grey spinel should be much cheaper. If you really want grey, the ladies here should be able to help source some nice ones for you.

Setting prices may be a killer but if standard size, stock settings could be a good option. Personally I like stock settings and if they are fairly standard halo like the one you saw, not worth a made to order imo.

Its beautiful.

Should I ask specific pricescopers for help? Or just post a new thread?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana from Mastercut Gems has a similar, larger, grey 3.68 carat spinel on his site right now at IMHO a bargain price. It's $330 dollars and you probably won't ever find a similar quality one at that price again. David Klass could make you a custom setting and I still think you would be paying much less than the ring you posted.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...ver_Grey_Spinel_3_68_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo!

This is a great place for stock settings in Sydney

Melewah Jewellery
Address: 434 Sussex St, Haymarket NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9211 5896

Try Haydenfred Gems on instagram for grey spinels

I have yet to buy from her but she has lots of grey spinels and she is very nice about sending pictures and is very honest when asked about the stones.

As the others have mentioned the ring is pretty but seems severely overpriced!

Ignore the stone in my ring. But this setting which is really intricate was only $1800 AUD ($1200 usd roughly) with the stone set for free

20190810_121133.jpg

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you would be much better off finding a loose grey spinel and having it set into a ring.

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Hallo!

This is a great place for stock settings in Sydney

Melewah Jewellery
Address: 434 Sussex St, Haymarket NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9211 5896

Try Haydenfred Gems on instagram for grey spinels

I have yet to buy from her but she has lots of grey spinels and she is very nice about sending pictures and is very honest when asked about the stones.

As the others have mentioned the ring is pretty but seems severely overpriced!

Ignore the stone in my ring. But this setting which is really intricate was only $1800 AUD ($1200 usd roughly) with the stone set for free

20190810_121133.jpg

Hi mellowyellowgirl,

I will for sure check out melewah for stock settings, thank you.
Your setting is beautiful.

I think haydenfred is on leave at the moment, couldn't see any stones on her page. She sounds right up my alley though

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Dana from Mastercut Gems has a similar, larger, grey 3.68 carat spinel on his site right now at IMHO a bargain price. It's $330 dollars and you probably won't ever find a similar quality one at that price again. David Klass could make you a custom setting and I still think you would be paying much less than the ring you posted.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...ver_Grey_Spinel_3_68_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

LisaRN - that spinel is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Thank you so much for the recommendation, it is a great price too. I've watched the video 10 times already, lol. I'll contact them and see what their shipping and return policy is like.

voce

Ideal_Rock
No obvious drawbacks, I like them all. Would personally select the princess cut to set with the points at compass directions which you can't do with uneven proportion cushions.

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
They all look... tiny? Try cutting a piece of paper to size and put on your finger to see.

Hey icy_jade,
great idea!
I'm heading into the city in 12 hours to a gemstone company (Mays that I posted above), hopefully I'll get a good idea of size by seeing those exact stones in person =)2

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
No obvious drawbacks, I like them all. Would personally select the princess cut to set with the points at compass directions which you can't do with uneven proportion cushions.

Thanks for commenting Voce, I feel slightly better about what to look for. An offset princess would look dreamy.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Mr. Spinel on IG has nice material, don't know about prices as I have never bought from him, but I think is worth checking out even just for eye candy

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Mr. Spinel on IG has nice material, don't know about prices as I have never bought from him, but I think is worth checking out even just for eye candy

I've just spent hours looking at his stones on instagram, they're beautiful! He has directed me to a Facebook page where he has videos of the gems. I think I'll definitely find something through him. Thanks for the recommendation :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results