shape
carat
color
clarity

If you invited me over for dinner at your house...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would it be rude of me to ask... "what's on the menu" ?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Being the host, I would have asked if there were any dietary considerations at the time of invitation.

if that was addressed at that time and, you follow up with "what is on the menu", i would be most annoyed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well you'd be more than welcome
but its a bit hit and miss with my cooking
itd make an apricot cheesecake or of you don't like apricots, bosinberries or if you have kids id make ambrossia and if your from over seas pavalova with strawberries kiwifruit blueberries and passionfruit
to be honest the other half would have the webber going as he is addicted to BBQ pit boys on u tube and he'd do a nice pork roast
if its Christmas time id do boiled new minted potatoes and i make really good salads, lovelly tasty home grown tomatoes
48fe5fcf0b443fce611f01cdccfbdc32_f1638.jpg
a nice antipasto platter and a sav blanc or beers when you arrive
fresh seasonal fruit - cherries if its Christmas
a nice long summery cocktail on a jug on the table
if its not too hot after desert port and chocolate before a liquor coffee

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
but if you knock on my door tonight i didn't defrost the chicken in time so its home made tuna fish cakes and frozen chips with peas and corn and a couple of pickled onions with a slice of lemon on the side and im drinking water but there is some tomato juice in the fridge and a bottle of wine

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I would reply what do you want on the Menu? And probably ask if you or your wife were allergic to anything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always take into account our guests preferences and allergies/dislikes. The way to be a gracious and good host is to make sure your guests enjoy themselves so we never plan a menu without consulting our guests.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would either tell you what I had planned or if I hadn't planned the meal yet I would ask you what you like.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if I invited you to our home then we are definitely good friends, so you asking me that would be cheeky and on par with all my close relationships. ;)2

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I don't have company for dinner anymore, but when I was younger I'd have sirloin steak-broiled, mashed potatoes, a veggie, cresent rolls, salad , and for desert ,strawberry shortcake with frozen strawberries (defrosted of course, with whipped cream.

I am not a good cook or an adventurous one. Steak was easy. Oh, the pound cake was Sarah Lee.

Sometimes I would make Lasagna from scratch. Salad and Italian bread. It was good.

Annette
I never asked people what they were allergic to, or what they wanted to eat. No-one ever asked me either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's this for dessert? Any complaints?

applepiealagreg.jpeg

applepieyummy.jpg

We make a Gluten free version too. Well, Greg makes a gluten free version I should say. :bigsmile:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
well you'd be more than welcome
but its a bit hit and miss with my cooking
itd make an apricot cheesecake or of you don't like apricots, bosinberries or if you have kids id make ambrossia and if your from over seas pavalova with strawberries kiwifruit blueberries and passionfruit
to be honest the other half would have the webber going as he is addicted to BBQ pit boys on u tube and he'd do a nice pork roast
if its Christmas time id do boiled new minted potatoes and i make really good salads, lovelly tasty home grown tomatoes
48fe5fcf0b443fce611f01cdccfbdc32_f1638.jpg
a nice antipasto platter and a sav blanc or beers when you arrive
fresh seasonal fruit - cherries if its Christmas
a nice long summery cocktail on a jug on the table
if its not too hot after desert port and chocolate before a liquor coffee
I’m coming! What time?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
How's this for dessert? Any complaints?

applepiealagreg.jpeg

applepieyummy.jpg

We make a Gluten free version too. Well, Greg makes a gluten free version I should say. :bigsmile:
Yummmmmmmmmmy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Most likely all you would get is pork or jambalaya/gumbo at my house, my husband cooks and he doesn't serve much else lol

OH and there is always fresh baked Sourdough bread that he also makes every weekend.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When shall we expect you? Oh wait we have to get RW free first. #butthen #partytime
I would love to come over for pie! If I lived close to you I would be over help... <3

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We always take into account our guests preferences and allergies/dislikes. The way to be a gracious and good host is to make sure your guests enjoy themselves so we never plan a menu without consulting our guests.
i feel bad about not thinking of this
but my brother in law is a vegematic and my best friend is a celiac (poor thing) and i had a workmate who was vege and allergic to strawberries .... so im sure i would have enough choice on the table that no one went hungry or felt left out
and i always do plenty of non alcoholic drinks because i hate coke and i end up just drinking water alot of the time - our tap water is ok btw but id have some cold in the fridge with lemon wedges in
but i don't do any milk but dairy, so if anyone is dairy intolerant you can have a hot lime drink or a hot blackcurrent
and any fussy kids - i have a bag of chicken nuggets in the freezer - just no coke
i have got one friend allergic to eggs
that one is actually really hard if you are going out - she's also allergic to onion and garlic - that is actually really limiting - leek just doesn't quite do it as a substitute and she is allergic to pinnaple and if we bbq we always have pinnapple - egg is the worst though. it kind of just got too hard to go out for a meal with her in the end
but thank goodness things have got better for the celiacs - my poor friend used to ring up crying and she would get mad at cafes that only did muffins glutin free and nothing else in the sweet dept
and the poor girl loved a beer and we were akways trying to find this mythical Japanese beer that was glutin free
but nowdays they have an entire isle in the supermarket and when our mum died i even remembered to get glutin free slices and more substational refreshments as my friend and her also celiac daughter drove 5 hours to come to the funneral - my mother would have been appealed if she had had to drive home hungry

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E957C13C-537F-4D0F-941B-0A1D6766D31D.jpeg DancingFire you’d get to have dinner in my “formal” dining room. This room is normally for “display purposes only” or Christmas lunch :mrgreen2:
I’ll get out the Royal Doulton dinner service (handwash only due to the 22kt gold trim), the Romanian Silver Flatware and the very special Riedel Glassware.
I would ask you if you had an allergies, special food requirements or menu desires. If not I’d probably serve you in winter stuffed Mushrooms for an entree, Beef Wellington for mains with Potato Gratin and steamed veggies with warm poached pears in cinnamon with fresh vanilla cream for desert. I’d also serve you fresh baked wee dinner rolls.
If summer, I’d serve you King prawns with special dipping sauce and Mango for entree, Lemon Chicken with cold salads (Pear, Parmesan and Rocket my favourite) and for desert orange ice cream with Cointreau served in the orange with mint spring and Belgium chocolate flakes over the top.
But you might get distracted!
Currently the gem hoard and my microscope (plus other testing equipment) is in the dining room as it gets Northern light and the study is currently a complete pigsty with both DH and DD sharing the space as they study.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wouldn't mind. People ask questions for all "sorts" of reasons (and I don't think of folks' motivations--that is such a waste of time). I am pragmatic. I give answers.

Eat or don't eat. That is your choice.:P2

cheers--Sharon

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would appreciate if you would volunteer any dietary restrictions. But I would not enjoy a general 'so what are we having'. lol And I don't ask hosts this either!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I would reply what do you want on the Menu? And probably ask if you or your wife were allergic to anything.
A 12 oz rib eye steak with lobster tail and bake potato :lickout:. what time should I come over?
chowtimeguy.gif

Reactions: AV_

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you want on the menu to make sure you are happy enough to let me wear the Octavia for the evening?
I sold the Octavia last yr.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 12 oz rib eye steak with lobster tail and bake potato :lickout:. what time should I come over?
chowtimeguy.gif

We would normally do some good Aussie steak, Wagu, not the really huge/large stuff, but prime cuts of it, are some of the best Aussie steak, or lobster separately as mains. And mostly our local seafood, Moreton Bay Bugs, fresh prawns we buy off our local trawler guy (who my husband knows really well, and has been on his boat) they catch them off the coast from where we live, and both huge mud crabs and smaller sandcrabs also caught near where we live are often all fresher and better tasting than lobster anyway.

You are welcome any time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E957C13C-537F-4D0F-941B-0A1D6766D31D.jpeg DancingFire you’d get to have dinner in my “formal” dining room. This room is normally for “display purposes only” or Christmas lunch :mrgreen2:
I’ll get out the Royal Doulton dinner service (handwash only due to the 22kt gold trim), the Romanian Silver Flatware and the very special Riedel Glassware.
WoW!, That's a beautiful dining room! :love: :clap::clap:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results