shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm trying to help my buddy out, but I know nothing about cushion cuts...see GIA report

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm helping my friend get ready to propose to his girlfriend. He is in the market for a .70-.74 cushion cut diamond. He is on a very strict budget of up to $1900 for the diamond. He sent me this link to a diamond he is considering. I haven't researched cushion cut dimensions enough to feel confident giving him advice. I see the medium fluorescence, and cushion modified cut, and the high clarity of vvs2, which should mean eye clean, but what about the dimensions?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08401169

Thank you in advance for your time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very deep so will face up small. It will look small on her finger.

Does it have to be a D color for cultural reasons? (Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a D color and my first ER stone which is now a pendant is D), but you PAY for a D color when F will be nearly the same to the eye. Even G will be white.

VVS2 is also somewhat unnecessary (unless, again for cultural reasons it has to be a high clarity as well).

To me, owning an asscher, I would suggest maximizing SIZE (check the mm spread) and go for a G/H vs2 or perhaps an eyeclean SI1.

And the most important question is, has she specifically asked for a cushion cut?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does it have to be a D color for cultural reasons? (Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a D color and my first ER stone which is now a pendant is D), but you PAY for a D color when F will be nearly the same to the eye. Even G will be white.

VVS2 is also somewhat unnecessary (unless, again for cultural reasons it has to be a high clarity as well).

To me, owning an asscher, I would suggest maximizing SIZE (check the mm spread) and go for a G/H vs2 or perhaps an eyeclean SI1.

And the most important question is, has she specifically asked for a cushion cut?
Ditto to all of this

Essovius

Rough_Rock

Ah ok, thank you for the dimension tip. You mention some of my first thoughts, that he doesn't need to go so high on color and clarity. I was thinking of suggesting he switch to F-H, and VS2-1. His girlfriend hasn't asked for any specifics other than cushion cut. Although I'm sure they would both think this diamond is beautiful, I want him to get the best bang for his buck, given that this is a large splurge for him.

Essovius

Rough_Rock
I just asked him if I can poke around a bit for a few different ones for him. Just noticed James Allen doesn't have GIA's without request anymore. Darn.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly suggest he consider g/h color and eye clean SI1. the reason being that he will get a larger stone for his $$, and it will look just as clean as a VS2/F (unless his gf is super color sensitive or there are cultural reasons for high color and clarity). Also, in under 1ct, color won't be as obvious. We can help him find something much much better!

Essovius

Rough_Rock
I would strongly suggest he consider g/h color and eye clean SI1. the reason being that he will get a larger stone for his $$, and it will look just as clean as a VS2/F (unless his gf is super color sensitive or there are cultural reasons for high color and clarity). Also, in under 1ct, color won't be as obvious. We can help him find something much much better!
You guys are great help! Ya'll helped me with my now wife's engagement ring, and I am forever grateful.

What about this one? If it's eye clean... is this one also extremely deep?
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are great help! Ya'll helped me with my now wife's engagement ring, and I am forever grateful.

What about this one? If it's eye clean... is this one also extremely deep?
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
Less deep, but the facets look really mushy to me. What about one with more clear faceting?
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11270679/0-81-carat-cushion-diamond-g-color-vs1-clarity

I love this one!!
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Essovius

Rough_Rock

Oooh those look great! All three look much cleaner than the two I posted. That .81 and .76 from b2c seem like a tremendous value. I'm going to forward them all to him. He has a $100 Blue Nile coupon to use, so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for that one you posted, but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh those look great! All three look much cleaner than the two I posted. That .81 and .76 from b2c seem like a tremendous value. I'm going to forward them all to him. He has a $100 Blue Nile coupon to use, so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for that one you posted, but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.

B2C is known for having some super good deals on stones sometimes. I think they are running a sale right now, but not entirely sure what the parameters are, so he can check into that as well.

Have him keep in mind the measurements (mm) of the stones are what matters in terms of stones looking bigger vs. smaller.
The .72 from Blue Nile is 5.23 x 5.22 x 3.69 mm
The .81 from B2C is 5.58x5.22x3.52 (that will be noticeably bigger than the .72)
The .76 from B2C is 5.80x5.24x3.43 (this will look biggest by far, because it's less deep and the length/width are larger).
As a general rule, we say that .2mm difference is visible by eye (e.g. 5.2 vs. 5.4). Any difference bigger than that will be even more noticeable. In this case, I STRONGLY recommend the .76 from B2C because it will look significantly bigger than either of the others.

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for all that detail! It helps tremendously. That makes perfect sense about its face up size. I signed up for their emails and got a $200 coupon code! I sent it all to him, and he's leaning towards the .76! Do you know if b2c will put it on hold for a few days?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for all that detail! It helps tremendously. That makes perfect sense about its face up size. I signed up for their emails and got a $200 coupon code! I sent it all to him, and he's leaning towards the .76! Do you know if b2c will put it on hold for a few days?
Yes, I believe they hold for 48-72 hours! We have lurkers so tell him to put it on hold asap if he likes it!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, love the B2C .76

Ask if they have any light return images like an ASET or something

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Ok, he's going to call this afternoon and put the .76 on hold, and ask for ASET.
I'll let you all know if the purchase goes through! FWIW he's going to be putting the diamond in a simple solitaire band, likely from Blue Nile or JA. I can't wait for him to see it put together. I think he (and she) will be mind blown.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, he's going to call this afternoon and put the .76 on hold, and ask for ASET.
I'll let you all know if the purchase goes through! FWIW he's going to be putting the diamond in a simple solitaire band, likely from Blue Nile or JA. I can't wait for him to see it put together. I think he (and she) will be mind blown.

Just have him let B2C do the setting. When you start sending stones to other people, it gets overly complicated.

Keep it simple.

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Just have him let B2C do the setting. When you start sending stones to other people, it gets overly complicated.

Keep it simple.
Ahhh good point. I forgot I had my wife's made here in town so I didn't think about that. Thank you!

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Alright! Purchase confirmed! He bought the .76 @lovedogs posted, and a simple white gold solitaire setting from b2c. All for $2290 with coupon. He is over the moon excited, as I am for him. I think he got huge bang for his buck.

You kind people on this forum have now helped me tremendously in MY engagement ring proposal, and now my best friend's. I really can't thank you enough. I hope you know how appreciated your time, knowledge, and willingness to share both, is to me and others.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright! Purchase confirmed! He bought the .76 @lovedogs posted, and a simple white gold solitaire setting from b2c. All for $2290 with coupon. He is over the moon excited, as I am for him. I think he got huge bang for his buck.

You kind people on this forum have now helped me tremendously in MY engagement ring proposal, and now my best friend's. I really can't thank you enough. I hope you know how appreciated your time, knowledge, and willingness to share both, is to me and others.

You’re welcome!! A .76 is a nice size for a solitaire.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Excellent :)

Please do post pics if they are happy for you to do so!

Essovius

Rough_Rock
UPDATE =)2 The ring you helped me, help my buddy buy, is now on his FIANCE's finger! He scheduled a hot air balloon ride, and popped the question in the air. The smile says it all! And the ring looks beautiful on her hand. Thank you all again for sharing your expertise in such a friendly manner on this forum.

DSQBLUZ.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, it looks really pretty and they look very joyful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results