shape
carat
color
clarity

If you can turn back the clock would you change your college major?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If yes to what major? :))

Reactions: AV_

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely. I would have done Finance or Law instead of Accountancy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
id make my parents let me actually go to university !
in 1989 in NZ it wasn't yet common for everyone to go on to territory education and unlike my sister i was in an average class at high school as opposed to the top class
i can't spell and have terrible handwritting and ive always had crap jobs but i know im as capable as anyone else
the real crime is in my day there was no tuition fees but my parents felt varsity was for people who were going to be doctors and lawyers and kids who did BA's were wasting their time drinking and get into trouble
Dunedin as a university city and some of the students behaved really baddly

im not really sure how these things work but
id study history but maybe i should do accountancy

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hell yes!!! I would have become a vet instead of doing law and finance which was sooooo wrong for me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I majored in Biology but took lots of courses in my favorite field at the time Psychology. I wanted to go into Psychology but my parents dissuaded me saying I would take things too much to heart if I became a psychologist. So I listened to them and went into a different field and hence majored in Biology.

If I had to do it all over again...and I don't regret going into the career I did as that is how I met my dh. He was a patient of mine lol. However, if I had to do it all again I would major in Statistics or something similar based in Math. I love numbers and my mind used to work well that way and I think I could have had a good career that was math based.

Instead I went into biology and I have no regrets about that or else I would not have met Greg and well the rest is history. Hahaha or should I say Biology/Chemistry.:lol:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... Should have done a double major. I truly LOVED my political science studies and wouldn't want to change that. But wanted to do law as a minor subject, which isn't possible. Never really fought for the possibility to do two majors at the time (the administration told me not to do it, but in hindsight I think were just too lazy to properly evaluate this...) Bummer

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting question! I went the STEM route since I excelled at math and science and it was practically beat in my brain that it was the only field with job opportunities. I have graduate degrees in physics, applied physics, and microelectronics/photonics :geek2:. (3 master's, which means I never finished my PhD :P2) I am a highly educated SAHM, lol. I don't think I would do anything differently when I think about the job market today. But if I could go back without employment worries, I would major in Art History. Go figure. :confused2:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually keep thinking I should have done a double major and walked out with an engineering science degree. As apposed to a straight science degree. Also wish I had taken computer science as part of my undergrad science degree, as I seem to be spending a lot of my time reading computer science papers and this is not an easy one to bootstrap -- also it turns out to be shockingly actually interesting. Probably would have ended up in the same place anyway at the end, but I keep thinking I could have made it a lot easier for myself :lol:. It would be nice though if I could have not spent 5 minutes internally swearing as I tried to work out what the person who started talking to me about sample complexity today actually meant.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would have done Library Science instead of going the Poli Sci/Law route

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I did Economics & ran from academic research far & fast, then turned to Physics & to research; in fact, my domain of interest has hardly changed.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did Economics & ran from academic research far & fast, then turned to Physics & to research; in fact, my domain of interest has hardly changed.

Nice to meet a fellow physicist! Funny thing about physicists is that most aren't nerds, rather just strange birds! I am definitely one!:lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
If I could turn back time, I'd major in molecular biology, genetics route, to do research on ancient human DNA. This area is fascinating to me because it uncovers truths about prehistory and debunks false racist pseudoscience.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would have done Speech Language Pathology over Special Education, WAY more opportunities!

Reactions: DAF

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely. My degree is in psychology, I wish I'd stuck with my original major. I started out as an education major. Ironically I ended up teaching for 21 years at a community college.

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
I would not change. I have a BS and MS in biology. I studied bio because it was the only subject I liked. I have done really cool things - first I was an electron microscopist in neuroanatomy labs. I then took a job where I learned DNA analysis that led to a second career as a forensic scientist. No regrets (just not a lot of money!). :mrgreen:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, it led to a professional qualification that had served me well.
DK :))

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
In retrospect, I should have sucked it up and done a STEM degree rather than going for the easy liberal arts major. That said, things ended up working out pretty well, and much to my amusement, I’ve had more than one colleague tell me they assumed I do have a STEM background. :D

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I enjoyed my classes and the resulting career. If I had been in different space, I’d have continued in line law school, but I would have wanted to practice in the field I ended up working in - and it would not necessarily have been more lucrative. So overall, I’m happy with the choices I made way back then, and with how it all worked out.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No. I'm good.

cheers--Sharon

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, happy with my major and career path.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way! I changed my major after I declared my initial one of radio/tv/film. When I was choosing THAT one, I was torn between it and studying piano/performance. Chucked both of those to major in textiles/apparel/merchandising and made a solid enough career that I can always get back into easily—as long as Adam and Eve remain popular historic characters, humans will wear clothes, so that industry is never going to become obsolete.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I would have gone into forensics science. In particular pathology or anthropology. I find that stuff so fascinating. Who knows? There is still time for me to go back to school.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I would have gone into forensics science. In particular pathology or anthropology. I find that stuff so fascinating. Who knows? There is still time for me to go back to school.

Agree completely. I think that is a fascinating field and one I considered as well. And also agree that there is time for you to pursue any other career passions you might have!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I did well with my chosen major. It suits my abilities.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could do it over again, I would have probably gotten my Masters in Accounting, instead of just a general MBA.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could do it over again, I would have probably gotten my Masters in Accounting, instead of just a general MBA.

Have you considered looking into the actuarial exams? It's a great career and is always in demand. We have quite a few actuaries in our family.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered looking into the actuarial exams? It's a great career and is always in demand. We have quite a few actuaries in our family.
My mother suggested becoming an Actuary years ago when I was in high school. If I hadn't "fallen" into my current career after college, that would have been something I would have found interesting.

In my line of work, at least being eligible to sit for the CPA goes a long way, which a general MBA did not give me. In order to become eligible, I would basically need to get another Masters (I believe last time I checked I would need 6 hours short of a second Masters). It's something I've kept in the back of my mind, especially when browsing open positions. Just dragging my feet going back to school at this point :(

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I sat for the CPA exam when it only required a 4 year’s degree in accounting. Although my real dream was to teach Algebra, I wouldn’t change a thing because I met my husband in college studying accounting. It’s been a good life.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
...rather just strange birds! I am definitely one!

You are the one who got away! I am certainly seeing that much of this science is not of this world, but everything is so formal & distant that one can overlook the dark side... so far.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are the one who got away! I am certainly seeing that much of this science is not of this world, but everything is so formal & distant that one can overlook the dark side... so far.

Out of curiosity, what area do you work in?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results