shape
carat
color
clarity

Price for neon Mansin Spinel

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have been shopping for a red spinel lately. I have found a beautiful one, but questioning the price. What would be a reasonable price for a neon Jedi-like red spinel per carat? Thanks for any advice you can give!

voce

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the size and clarity, to be honest. Can range from a couple hundred USD per carat to thousands depending on the quality.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was casually shopping for a pink Jedi spinel around a year ago and the pricing is insane! The true Jedi material was easily in the thousands. I received a quote of $10k for a 1.5-2ct pink jedi spinel (I cant quite remember which size it leaned towards). Having talked to others around here, it seems like that was the going rate.

Needless to say, I do not own one. :lol-2:

ETA: you can certainly get a vibrant spinel for less but reds, especially, do go for a premium.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, for a Jedi >=1 ct with good clarity, the prices I've seen have been something like ~4k/carat. I don't own one either :)

I think you can get rather lower if you're willing to go smaller and down in clarity, but even going to less than half carat and very included I haven't seen Jedis go for less than $1k/ct except on the secondhand market. Fine-colored spinel prices are out of control these days!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
The one I am looking at appears to have pretty good clarity, just not the greatest cut (small window). But the color is amazing. Its priced just shy of 2k a carat. The color rocks my world, but it's pretty small for me at under 1.5 cts. At that size I know I will then only be happy if I spend another fortune on diamonds for a halo:???:.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the colour is that good, it might remain your one and only pink even if you do not buy it ,(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one I am looking at appears to have pretty good clarity, just not the greatest cut (small window). But the color is amazing. Its priced just shy of 2k a carat. The color rocks my world, but it's pretty small for me at under 1.5 cts. At that size I know I will then only be happy if I spend another fortune on diamonds for a halo:???:.
Hmmm, I feel like 2k might be a little low for 1.5ct. But depends. Can you show a pic?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At the local Burmese market it's around us2k/ct for eye clean last year. Not sure about this year's price as I'm not getting any and stopped inquiring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color in a small size pops more than mediocre color in a large size.

Just make sure you’re viewing the color indoors away from sunlight.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are expensive, and becoming rarer to find for decent prices in reds.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's a Bangkok Gem Fair next month. Will check out the prices there. They usually carry smaller Mansin spinels by a handful of booths. There's also a small Burmese pavilion with the usual few Burmese stalls.

budmanbudman10

Rough_Rock

I think you're getting a fair price. These days, I'm getting quoted at $2k/ct or more - and that's for stones closer to 1ct than 2cts. If you take the leap, please send us some photos when it arrives :)

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Update- so I ended up going a different way. I decided while absolutely beautiful, the neon mansin spinels were just too hot pink for what I would want to wear for a lifetime, and red has always been my signature color. So I purchased this 2.5 ct Burmese spinel from a PS recommended vendor. Under the lighting in my hundred year old house it has more pink, but at dawn outside on my morning walk it is the color that I love. Here are a few pics outside and one with my favorite blue spinel. 20190819_074858.jpg 20190819_074615.jpg 20190818_132627.jpg 20190817_213306.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Update- so I ended up going a different way. I decided while absolutely beautiful, the neon mansin spinels were just too hot pink for what I would want to wear for a lifetime, and red has always been my signature color. So I purchased this 2.5 ct Burmese spinel from a PS recommended vendor. Under the lighting in my hundred year old house it has more pink, but at dawn outside on my morning walk it is the color that I love. Here are a few pics outside and one with my favorite blue spinel. 20190819_074858.jpg 20190819_074615.jpg 20190818_132627.jpg 20190817_213306.jpg

It looks nice! Which PS rec vendor is that? Have you decided on the setting?

And the blue! :love:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade Thanks! I bought it from Litnon. I am debating in my head whether she needs two old cut diamonds, or if I should do a moi et toi with the blue. While many might not think that they are small, the older I get the more big and "gaudy" I tend to want:lol:.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lol I totally understand!! Nowadays my jeweller just upfront ask us to get rings with big halos lol. Future-proof lol.

I think either design will look great but diamonds could be a bit pricier depending on how big the side stones?

voce

Ideal_Rock
:love::love::love::love::love:
Red is my signature color, too, and I love that spinel. Congrats!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade Thanks! I bought it from Litnon. I am debating in my head whether she needs two old cut diamonds, or if I should do a moi et toi with the blue. While many might not think that they are small, the older I get the more big and "gaudy" I tend to want:lol:.

I have seem some red, white, and blue rings that are vertical three-stones, two colored stones and a diamond... maybe they were on Ivy New York's website? Just to add another idea.

eta:

https://ivynewyork.com/products/red-blue-spinel-and-diamonds-ring-r14147?_pos=2&_sid=256666062&_ss=r

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. Sorry that screams ripoff! :eek2:
This well known dealer has very beautiful and much more reasonably priced red spinels. I guess this one must have had it’s own internal light source:confused2:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@distracts, ooohhh, that ring in the video is beautiful! Thanks for the idea. Hubby is retired Army, so we are a bit patriotic too;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results