carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@Arcadian do you have an opinion on the brand Ex Nihilo? I am loving the samples and just might splurge. Do you have much experience with the brand?

cheers--Sharon

I don't unfortunately. I've tried Sweet Morphine (really similar to Guerlain's French Kiss), Amber (not groundbreaking but really nice), And Rose Hubris, which to me is really close to FM's POAL on my skin. (POAL really doesn't work on me, though very lovely in the bottle) That litchi never showed on me!

I've wanted to try Viper Green for a while. Just have not yet gotten a sample.

I think its a pretty good house, just a bit on the pricey side for the longevity. But I think worth trying definitely!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was 109.4 degrees in the city center yesterday!!!! The official max temp is taken in a park outside and came in as an all time high of 107.6!!!
Sooooo what can one do besides shopping? Went to the Galeries Lafayette and sniffed the last (I think??) Frédéric Malle: "Dawn". It's a generic oud +rose to my nose. Fortunately I took a blotter only. The ONE spritz on said paper strip is plutonium. It was in a shopping bag and scented my whole kitchen /dining room area over night. Up close there's this burnt tyre note that's also in Hermès eau de citron noir or Bvlgari black. But in the room it's just the umpteenth oud +rose. Just STRONG. Price is 1100 € /100ml.
Given the strength it's nearly economical :lol:

Bought Dior gris dior (replacement bottle) and jasmin des anges..

SOTD: dyptique do son. Another plutonium scent. BLOOMS in the heat. But in a nice way. Tuberose and white flowers. Half a spritz is enough!!

Last edited:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
In the not exactly unique, and available at your local Ulta category . . .
I tried a purse spray size of the (new in 2019) Kate Spade In Full Bloom Blush. Really very nice! A new favorite for the hotter months left to us here in TX. Not strong enough for a winter fragrance; and it could use a bit more staying power. But I'm loving the dry down of warm wood tones like cedar.
Very cozy without being overblown. And the hubs is very fond of it as well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received my sample orders from Luckyscent. Gentle Fluidity Gold and Gentle Fluidity Silver by Francis Kurkdjian. Both unisex scents with the same notes but in different percentages.
The notes for both are Juniper, nutmeg, coriander, musk, amber, woods, vanilla.

I haven't tried it yet but will report back when I do. I have not been wearing any perfume these past couple of months.

Reactions: AV_

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been making my own perfume recently. The scent I am wearing today my husband loves. A mixture of orange blossom, sandalwood, vetiver, teak, and a dash of campfire. The orange blossom is sweet enough to keep this perfume feminine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been making my own perfume recently. The scent I am wearing today my husband loves. A mixture of orange blossom, sandalwood, vetiver, teak, and a dash of campfire. The orange blossom is sweet enough to keep this perfume feminine.

That sounds lovely @LisaRN. I would love to wear that perfume. Those ingredients are yumm.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received my sample orders from Luckyscent. Gentle Fluidity Gold and Gentle Fluidity Silver by Francis Kurkdjian. Both unisex scents with the same notes but in different percentages.
The notes for both are Juniper, nutmeg, coriander, musk, amber, woods, vanilla.

I haven't tried it yet but will report back when I do. I have not been wearing any perfume these past couple of months.

I tested those last week, but have no clear recollection.... we were on a major smelling spree and while super fun, this is very inefficient. Perfume overload. Interested in what you have to say!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tested those last week, but have no clear recollection.... we were on a major smelling spree and while super fun, this is very inefficient. Perfume overload. Interested in what you have to say!

So keep in mind I have been and continue to be preoccupied but I didn't like either. Smelled (to me on me) generic. And perfumey. I was disappointed. Might try it at another time when I have more energy to devote to really evaluating it. Let me know what you think of it if you try it again.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So keep in mind I have been and continue to be preoccupied but I didn't like either. Smelled (to me on me) generic. And perfumey. I was disappointed. Might try it at another time when I have more energy to devote to really evaluating it. Let me know what you think of it if you try it again.

Ues, witjball you've got going on, I can see how perfume is on the back burner. I gyess it's more the time for true and tested comfort scents!

I went to the new Galeries Lafayette on Champs Élysées. They have all the niche /high end brands on open display with testers and no SAs around..... Ex nihilo, Frédéric malle, byredo, the exclusives from Armani and YSL, diptyque, memo, you name it. And the chanel les exclusives and dior collection privées as free standing boutiques. Highly recommended for fumies. No waiting for someone to spray a scent strip for you and frowning after 5scents. I crossed some novelties and oldies that I just wanted to smell or re-smell of my list in lightning speed. (like ALL THE Malles and memos). :dance:Will go back at the end of the month....

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I went to the new Galeries Lafayette on Champs Élysées. .... Highly recommended for fumies. ...Will go back at the end of the month....

I need a round!

I am very pleased with local scents - the region is a mine of fragrance. What I miss is keeping up with the market.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be delighted go meet up with you anytime!!!!! Paris is ours - don't forget there's also place Vendome :twisted:

The vca sas are super sweet and they have an expo of vintage masterpieces!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if everyone is aware but lelabo city exclusives are available once again. I tried Tabac 28 (Miami). Its not really bad. Its not "Miami" though, Maybe its the way someone thinks it should smell. Its quite heavy on the tobacco, almost more of a spent cigar type of smell. I don't get as much cardamom as I would like and what I do get is not consistent. Its humid here (extremely so) and it comes through but soon as you hit AC it totally disappears. The other missing component is the rum. I don't get any rum really, I get a vague sort of sweetness.

Its OK, does seem to last a while (5-6 hours?) but I cant see myself springing for a bottle.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if everyone is aware but lelabo city exclusives are available once again. I tried Tabac 28 (Miami). Its not really bad. Its not "Miami" though, Maybe its the way someone thinks it should smell. Its quite heavy on the tobacco, almost more of a spent cigar type of smell. I don't get as much cardamom as I would like and what I do get is not consistent. Its humid here (extremely so) and it comes through but soon as you hit AC it totally disappears. The other missing component is the rum. I don't get any rum really, I get a vague sort of sweetness.

Its OK, does seem to last a while (5-6 hours?) but I cant see myself springing for a bottle.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking about my next splurge--it just might be another bottle of Rose 31 (oil) or The Noir 29. That said I am obsessed with ex nihilo. GAK:eek2::eek2:

cheers--Sharon

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Was reading an article about researchers analyzing and recreating perfumes from residue found in amphoras in burial vaults in Egypt from the time of Cleopatra. The perfume was comprised of myrrh, cardamon, cinnamon and olive oil for the most part. They were thick and sticky with a spicy, musky scent. Made me wonder which modern perfumes smelled similar.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@kipari I tend to fly through Paris a few times a year. I miss it! Will remember to write when the next chance comes along, likely mid autumn...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ues, witjball you've got going on, I can see how perfume is on the back burner. I gyess it's more the time for true and tested comfort scents!

True. And I do find comfort in my go to favorites. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka always brings me some joy so Vetiver Tonka it is today. I hope it brings our kitties some luck today during their (smelly) lime sulfur dips. Speaking of scents that are not wearable. That is most surely an unpleasant scent but if it does its job it is more than worth it. Bring on the lime sulfur (for the kitties) and I think I shall call it Eau de Lime Sulfur. I would dip them in it every day if I could if it would help my babies.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True. And I do find comfort in my go to favorites. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka always brings me some joy so Vetiver Tonka it is today. I hope it brings our kitties some luck today during their (smelly) lime sulfur dips. Speaking of scents that are not wearable. That is most surely an unpleasant scent but if it does its job it is more than worth it. Bring on the lime sulfur (for the kitties) and I think I shall call it Eau de Lime Sulfur. I would dip them in it every day if I could if it would help my babies.
Keeping fingers crossed for you and your kitties, dear missy. Hoping your Vetiver Tonka will do the trick (I know it's not going to change the situation, but even an unexpected whiff and a second of joy and comfort are worth it imho)
Hugs and "bises" from France :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari I tend to fly through Paris a few times a year. I miss it! Will remember to write when the next chance comes along, likely mid autumn...
This would be super fun !! Keep me posted ! ETA : we'd have to choose between fragrance and bling!!! Ohh the hardship..., '-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping fingers crossed for you and your kitties, dear missy. Hoping your Vetiver Tonka will do the trick (I know it's not going to change the situation, but even an unexpected whiff and a second of joy and comfort are worth it imho)
Hugs and "bises" from France :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

thank you.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Lubin Le Vetiver. Right away I thought about the other Lubin, Itasca. Itasca doesn't have any tobacco which makes it more unisex IMO. Le Vetiver you get a pretty good dose of it right off the bat. Rivals the white tobacco in Amouage Sunshine (which on me is very apparent!)

In its favor its VERY long wearing! put it on at 7am so we're hitting near 9 hour mark and its still definitely something thats around.

For myself personally though I would stick with Itsasca which could be worn year round.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hoping I might be able to get a little guidance from the scent queens!

Has anyone tried the “fragrance fitting” sample pack service that Lucky Scent does? I’ve been wearing the same thing for almost ten years (Clive Christian X) and want to branch out, but also have no idea where to even start in terms of deciding what to try next. Any recs on other things to try or even resources to learn more so I have a better idea of what to look for?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping I might be able to get a little guidance from the scent queens!

Has anyone tried the “fragrance fitting” sample pack service that Lucky Scent does? I’ve been wearing the same thing for almost ten years (Clive Christian X) and want to branch out, but also have no idea where to even start in terms of deciding what to try next. Any recs on other things to try or even resources to learn more so I have a better idea of what to look for?

I haven't, but I've bought LOTS of sample packs from LS...lol

So according to fragrantica its a chypre fruity. I think you might actually like Histoires de Parfum 1804 (George Sands) Its technically classified as an Oriental, but it does shares a lot of notes with X. Worth a shot, I believe a 15ml try out size is like 35 bucks (better yet, they might also have it on sale on LS?? worth checking!)

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't, but I've bought LOTS of sample packs from LS...lol

So according to fragrantica its a chypre fruity. I think you might actually like Histoires de Parfum 1804 (George Sands) Its technically classified as an Oriental, but it does shares a lot of notes with X. Worth a shot, I believe a 15ml try out size is like 35 bucks (better yet, they might also have it on sale on LS?? worth checking!)

Thanks for your help @Arcadian ! I will definitely be checking that one out. I’m really excited to dive in and try some new things. So much to learn!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its the end of an era. Last night I used the very last drops of my near vintage bottle of SL Chergui :cry2: Yes friends, it took me that damn long:lol: to finish it off. I won't get another, the newer stuff is really blah in comparison. Maybe if I never had the old stuff.....

Today I wear another discontinued beauty Parfums delRae Bois de Paradis. I will be uber sad when I finally finish the last bottle of this (hey I'm not stupid, I have 2 bottles!!)

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Its the end of an era. Last night I used the very last drops of my near vintage bottle of SL Chergui :cry2: Yes friends, it took me that damn long:lol: to finish it off.

It’s so hot and humid where I live, I’ll never make it to the end of my bottle of Chergui.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s so hot and humid where I live, I’ll never make it to the end of my bottle of Chergui.

Oh it took me YEARS to get through this bottle. Right after they did the first rollout to being an export and I snagged a bottle. Of course over the years it went from being brown to green to a seriously dark green-black. def. some evaporation because it thickened over the years. But, it never went bad, if anything it got better:kiss2::love::love::love:

SO I'll miss it. Here I could only wear it during 2 months of the winter or when I was for sure I wasn't going out anywhere:roll2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Caron Fleurs de Rocaille vintage EDT, which I will miss when its gone (I only have a few wearings left :cry2:) I still have plenty of the parfum, but I will admit to liking the edt lots more

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results